PDA

View Full Version : You ever worked at a resturant??

Lizbiz101
04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
You liked it?? I'm trying to get out of this retail business it sucks @ss. Working my @ss off for a 300 dollar check every two weeks is not cutting it for me. I can pay my bills but I can't do **** else. I was thinking about working as a server (applebees, olive garden, etc) people claim to rack up a bunch of money with tips and such but I was just wondering...is it worth it?? :thinking::thinking:

Got Milk?
04-04-2008, 11:07 AM
dude, i used to work at this restaurant called Pimon Thai. That was back when i lived in Louisiana, i hated it. Money was low, i worked my ass off, every time i get home i stink on asian food and so on. After working there for about 6 months, i couldnt take it any more, so i quit that *****. And this was back when i was 16.

Killer
04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
dude, i used to work at this restaurant called Pimon Thai. That was back when i lived in Louisiana, i hated it. Money was low, i worked my ass off, every time i get home i stink on asian food and so on. After working there for about 6 months, i couldnt take it any more, so i quit that *****. And this was back when i was 16.

that was your problem...

stillaneon
04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Thats you at an Asian Place. I am eating Olive garden tonight Liz. I will talk to My friend and see what he makes on a weekly

Lizbiz101
04-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I am eating Olive garden tonight Liz. I will talk to My friend and see what he makes on a weekly awesome thanks!!:D

Got Milk?
04-04-2008, 11:13 AM
liz, are you serious when u said 300/2 weeks?

Lizbiz101
04-04-2008, 11:16 AM
liz, are you serious when u said 300/2 weeks? Sometimes I'll make 350 or 360 but i've only made over 400 during Christmas.

stillaneon
04-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Time to apply at a cell phone company:tongue1:

Lizbiz101
04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Time to apply at a cell phone company:tongue1: lol you would be amazed at how many cell phone jobs I have applied for in the last month. It's no joke. But no one has called me back yet, these damn online applications.

stillaneon
04-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Follow- UP

ksniperfox
04-04-2008, 11:35 AM
i used to work at pizza hut, and brought home 350(the biggest one i ever made) every 2 weeks. and i worked a LOT. 6.50/hour blows.

do you not make any tips? atleast go somewhere that you can earn tips. if you're good with customers, you should have no problem. are you interested in staying in your field? i never worked as a server, so i never got any tips. but the plus side in most restaurants is free or heavily discounted food.

only thing i miss is takin pizza home almost every night.:cry:

stillaneon
04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
She works JC Penny's now and she wants to work Food Service for the Tips

Motivation
04-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Depends on what restaurant you work at and how the people like you. From what I know about ya Liz, I think you would actually do pretty well in tips. But like I said, it depends on what restaurant and where it is located obviously. GL either way. :goodjob:

P.S. When ya gonna let me borrow the new car? ha :D

HalfBaked
04-04-2008, 11:59 AM
I make good money working at a restaurant.

But we are open late like 2am almost every night so when the other restaurants close their servers come in and tip real well.

TheGrillMan
04-04-2008, 12:01 PM
there is a good chance you can make money as a server, ive spent the last 6 years in a kitchen and dated quite a few servers and most had money to burn as long as you dont get stuck somewhere your not gonna make money

corps are good, applebee's longhorn, olive garden ect..
they treat there employes a little better then private establishments plus there established therefore the have lots of customers comming in so you dont get ****ed all the time with slow nights

another ****ty thing slow night= easy but no moneys

also to be a server and do your job well it really isnt to difficult,

as long as you can multi task and have a smile on your face at all times while in the front of the house your good

also customers are asxsholes if you have a short temper you might wanna re consider,

also say good bye to weekends you will prob work every friday\saturday night easily

oh and stress
theres lots of it

maybe not so much in the front of the house but in the back there a little to much haha

if you have any questions other then this stuff pm me

Ran
04-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Depends on the place and how good you are. My girlfriend worked at Barnacles for a bit. Sometimes she would bring home over $100 a night, but other nights she'd bring home like $30.

I wouldn't mind it as a second job, but it's too unstable to really rely upon as an only source of income.

TheGrillMan
04-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Depends on the place and how good you are. My girlfriend worked at Barnacles for a bit. Sometimes she would bring home over $100 a night, but other nights she'd bring home like $30.

I wouldn't mind it as a second job, but it's too unstable to really rely upon as an only source of income.

i know of atleast 10 carreer servers that live very very well, once you get the overall routine down and get good at it you can go for those more lucritive jobs

like my aunt for instance, she made 54k last year waiting tables

theres also good money in management

Motivation
04-04-2008, 12:10 PM
^^^ with management also comes looooooong hours and a LOT of stress. Sometimes the money isn't always worth it...

HalfBaked
04-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Long hours aren't that bad, I've grown accustom to working 50hrs a week.

TheGrillMan
04-04-2008, 12:15 PM
^^^ with management also comes looooooong hours and a LOT of stress. Sometimes the money isn't always worth it...

very true, even tho FOH management doesnt really to many house and the strees isn;t nearly as bad after your seasoned

the majiority of stress in a resturant in volves with something going wrong and you having to fix it. if youve done it many many times allready or allready know what to do asap then it helps out alot

and, ive never run FOH position but ive managed 2 kitchens and been head chef and 2 bistros and the whole stress factor isn't nearly anything compared to what we deal with in the kitchen

honestly i rather deal with a pissed off customer then have my reach in cooler or my convection oven go out at 6:30 on a friday night

TheGrillMan
04-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Long hours aren't that bad, I've grown accustom to working 50hrs a week.

tell me about it

im currently unemployed cause im moving

but 50 hr's would be an easy week most weeks

i was lucky if i got out under 70 alot of times

Motivation
04-04-2008, 12:20 PM
^^^ x2 or when ppl don't show up when it is busy, and you are shorthanded with angry/hungry customers.

TheGrillMan
04-04-2008, 12:22 PM
^^^ x2 or when ppl don't show up when it is busy, and you are shorthanded with angry/hungry customers.

yeah screw being short handed

theres so many things i could on about as far as resturants go haha

i think ive bene in one since i was 11 or 12 and im 20 yesterday

stillaneon
04-04-2008, 12:22 PM
The best thing is when you boss doesnt pay the gas bill and The Gas company shuts off your service on a Friday afternoon. We didnt get gas back until Monday morning. IT sucked

TheGrillMan
04-04-2008, 12:26 PM
The best thing is when you boss doesnt pay the gas bill and The Gas company shuts off your service on a Friday afternoon. We didnt get gas back until Monday morning. IT sucked

ANOTHER NOTE ABOUT CORPS!!

bull shxit like that doesnt happen lol there are big wigs that do all of that bs for you

also alot of privately owned restruants sucks beacuse of owners alot of them have no idea what there doing others are toogood so you hate them cause they ARE your boss and will fire your axss for not doing your job

i personally like the private ownd resturants alot better it might be beacuse when i work in these places im ither a souschef or something on a high level then most line cooks plsu there alot more freedom with your food

see look at me going on and on and on lol

Motivation
04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
^^ lol... Restaurants usually operate better when the gas bill is paid.

Lizbiz101
04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks ya'll, I'm really concered about slow nights and stuff. It will be my only source of income cuz I have school and an internship so I wouldn't have time for 2 jobs. As long as I can make more than 300 dollars every two weeks, I will be straight.

TheGrillMan
04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks ya'll, I'm really concered about slow nights and stuff. It will be my only source of income cuz I have school and an internship so I wouldn't have time for 2 jobs. As long as I can make more than 300 dollars every two weeks, I will be straight.

300 every 2 weeks is very doable depending on where you live lol

another ex,
i wait tables part time at a small resturant with id say a sorta pricy menu

cheapist protein entree is like 15$

and i make over 700 every 2 weeks

btw guys will allways make more money waiting tables then girls

ALLWAYS

Lizbiz101
04-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Long hours and being friendly is not problem for me, I love fast pace stuff makes the hours fly by anyway. Tim you are not ready for the Bimmer!

stillaneon
04-04-2008, 12:34 PM
X2 Guys seem to come across as more serious and dependable. They also take control and have a stereotype of not screwing **** up as bad. I do usually prefer having a male waiter. Not that females arent good, just seem to get sidetracked easily.

Motivation
04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
It was worth a try. :(

Motivation
04-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Just depends on the person whether or not they are a good server...

Lizbiz101
04-04-2008, 12:37 PM
300 every 2 weeks is very doable depending on where you live lol

another ex,
i wait tables part time at a small resturant with id say a sorta pricy menu

cheapist protein entree is like 15$

and i make over 700 every 2 weeks

btw guys will allways make more money waiting tables then girls

ALLWAYS

I live in conyers/ stoncrest mall so I'll be working either in conyers or by stonecrest mall. The mall area get REALLY busy on the weekends so I think I have a good shot at making money there. That sucks guys make more tips but I can still pull it off. At least girls will always have cheaper car insurance to make up for it.

TheGrillMan
04-04-2008, 12:38 PM
X2 Guys seem to come across as more serious and dependable. They also take control and have a stereotype of not screwing **** up as bad. I do usually prefer having a male waiter. Not that females arent good, just seem to get sidetracked easily.

x2 and im good about tipping good servers

but i also let them know how good they were

stillaneon
04-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I have worked in too many Kitchens and I had to cover for a lot of my wait staff as a manager. I hated doing it. I prefer to have a knife in my hand than a tray. I definitely let the staff know how they are doing and they appreciate the tips and such. I dont count but on average I tip about 23% to 30% if they were good but never under 10%

TIGERJC
04-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I wish I could go back working as a server but not on the southside. I always had fun working as a server and made real good money, and to me that is the best job around when it comes to part time. Mangers are never on your case like in retail, just try not to cuss out crazy a.s.s customers. The only reason why I got out of the serving business, is because the hours suck if you want to make money and the southside sucks when it comes to tippers.

I am now in the cell phone sales business and I like it so far, but I miss my days working in Chili's Bar and Grill :cry:

Food fights, to just hanging out in the kitchen, and also you could get out of your shift for just $10.

AlanŽ
04-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I worked at a mexican restraunt for 2 years and while the money is good the job it self sucks. I used to work 9am-2am and got maybe 1 day off a week. it sucked really bad.

Blitanicle99
04-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Well I worked in a family owned white table cloth steak house for about 2 years. I started off bussing tables and such but got moved up very fast. I was an expo in 3 months working every night till 12, I was generally in at 5. So 7ish hours a night, times 7 nights a week... equals... 49 hours a week. Plus I was a full time student, and I worked in a metal fab shop on saturdays and sundays to make extra cash. Generally get there about 4-5 Am, work till 2. Take a nap, and go to the other job.

I took home from the restarunt weekly like 350, then tips was another 150 or so. I made cut off the waiters tips.

That was 7 nights a week staying late. Most of waiters/waitresses made same or better. One of my good friends I made there only worked nights (was in college) and walked out with 600 a week. He was a good waiter.

Anyways, restaruant work is fun. Youll learn to be very close to co workers and such. Very stressful. Go watch the movie "Waiting". Its exactly like that. Its quite funny that the director of that movie nailed that kind of job so well. The cooks are generally long haired with tatoos and piercings. There is that one god damn biotch of a waitress that everyone hates. Youll probably have a old man pervert of a boss or manager. And the servers were generally young and hot.

-Restaruant business in a nutshell.

calmnothing
04-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Depending on where you work and how good you are you can easily double your money. I've worked at kind of low-end places like Ruby Tuesdays and Dave & Busters before and made 500 a week easy. I work at a fine dining restaurant now and make close to $1000 a week now. If you're serious about waiting tables, I suggest to finetune your craft and salesmanship at a low-end restaurant then move up. Get experience then go to a higher end place.