PDA

View Full Version : Loan car+school+job=good idea?

MistaCee
04-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Ok I will be starting school this sept. Need a car to go back and forth and have little cash to spend on it. Would taking a loan out for a car for lets say around 5-6k be a good idea? Only expenses I will have is gas, car insurance, and that car payment.. So it shouldn't be that bad of an idea in my eyes. It will also be in my name so I can build my credit to buy a house.

ksniperfox
04-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Ok I will be starting school this sept. Need a car to go back and forth and have little cash to spend on it. Would taking a loan out for a car for lets say around 5-6k be a good idea? Only expenses I will have is gas, car insurance, and that car payment.. So it shouldn't be that bad of an idea in my eyes. It will also be in my name so I can build my credit to buy a house.

determine how long it will take you to pay off that loan at your current payrate and hours, with school in mind. and determine how many hours you will be occupied each week with school and work. don't know how much your car loan is, or how much schooling your getting into, but you should find a pretty good paying part time job if you dont have time for a full time job that pays better.

just trying to say, dont spread yourself too thin. get your priorities straight. dont burn yourself out 24/7 so you can have a 5-6k car loan and school and a job. just get a $2k beater for a2b transportation and an easy part time job.

Motivation
04-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Are you going to be taking a school loan out also? It shouldn't be that bad, and you definitely need a car. Just remember, don't buy something out of your range that is going to make you struggle and stress out about paying it. The less stress you have on bills will make going to school and focusing easier on you.

MistaCee
04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
No I wont be taking out a school loan...

Motivation
04-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Well good luck with it man! What school you going to be going to?

MistaCee
04-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Dekalb tech, then transfer to a university

Motivation
04-04-2008, 12:05 PM
That's cool. Hope it all works out man...

Motivation
04-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Car loan (from a bank) for 6k-7k will probably be just a little less than 250 a month (3 yr loan), plus insurance depending on what you buy, and then gas...

so around loan=250 insurance=100-150 a month depending gas= be prepared to get another loan just for gas, if prices go up anymore

BKgen®
04-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Car loan (from a bank) for 6k-7k will probably be just a little less than 250 a month (3 yr loan), plus insurance depending on what you buy, and then gas...

so around loan=250 insurance=100-150 a month depending gas= be prepared to get another loan just for gas, if prices go up anymore

I'm paying $170.00 per month on my $5k loan.

Motivation
04-04-2008, 01:20 PM
It depends on where you get your loan and credit history. Was just giving an guesstimate. Of course now, it is cheaper on interest rates then it was before. I'm paying $258 a month on a $7500 loan...

MistaCee
04-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Sounds like I wont even have any extra money to do anything...

Sammich
04-04-2008, 02:46 PM
gas is a real bill these days too...so consider what kind of car you get as far as MPG

Motivation
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
be worth it when ya finish school though...

blaknoize
04-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I was considering the same. Now I dont HAVE one, but I would recommend a college loan over a bank loan, unless of course ur banks interest rate is lower and all that. But if u happen to qualify for a subsidized school loan then that is MUCH better.

The subsidized loan doesnt incur interest till after u graduate or drop out of college. So... u will be payin back exactly what u had taken out, while still in school, otherwise the interest withheld will be applied to that loan; Which is always good. All the other statements above are true. I may do it to get me another car myself, I really want somethin newer.

Just keep in mind of all ur bills and fukin gas. And also keep in mind, try to be sure that if that loan falls through for some unknown reason that u would be able to pay each month on that note with ur current income. Thats what I'm gonna do.

BlkCD5
04-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Consider how long you'll be in school vs. the part-time job you'll have. I've seen many examples of people taking out car loans and going to school at the same time. They just burn themselves out. As said before, you could get a beater car, go to school and work at the same time. That extra money you save would make a nice down payment or even buy the car you want outright.

Just keep in mind that **** happens and if you default on the loan, it'll ruin your chances for the house. Also depending on the car you get, go easy on the mods for insurance reasons. Other things tend to break or wear out, causing more bills.

blaknoize
04-06-2008, 07:04 PM
^maybe not as far as the house, it'll just take forever to remove. Just take like 4 classes or whatever it is to become "fulltime" and leave it at that. Places like Lowes (i love this business) LOVE to help people who are in school. If u can get a job with them, they will work with ur schedule very very well. I'm never burned out and I go to work and school and still have time to do my homework.

MistaCee
04-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the advice guys reps given.

Sammich
04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
fuk j00 lol

MistaCee
04-08-2008, 03:49 PM
fuk j00 lol

Best rep eva:D

Sammich
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
LOLZ

jR1_kS14
04-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm thinking about working 2 jobs in the summer. lol

GSRteg®
04-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Sounds like I wont even have any extra money to do anything...

That sound like life to me dont it. :yes:

MistaCee
04-10-2008, 09:20 AM
That sound like life to me dont it. :yes:

Lol true but that would suck if all I did was school and work...Gotta go out sometime :(

Motivation
04-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Lol true but that would suck if all I did was school and work...Gotta go out sometime :(

Don't sleep. It's over rated anyways.