PDA

View Full Version : General Chat WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL DO SOME AUTO MANUFACTORS BE THINKING???

blackshine007
04-04-2008, 12:53 AM
I work on cars for a living and let me be the first (and surely not the last) to say that Chrylser need to be shot for half of the bullshyt they come out with. I don't know where to start. From their electrical gremlins to the engineering of the motor/ trans. WTF??? Seriously? I have a Dodge intrepid 2.7L in the shop now and it needs a water pump. So in order to change the water pump, one must basicly slit your wrists and throw holy water into the wounds to remove the god forsaken thing. In short, 6.5 hours of pure torture is required to keep the engine leak free. The timing chain has to come off. WTF??? I'm ready to set the damn thing on fire. Well, actually, It's almost ready to come off. It's still a rolling bucket of bolts.

Then there's the 2.4L which I still haven't figured out how does anyone put a timing belt on there without swearing to their maker's name.

Another manufactor that deserves THE ENTIRE ARMY OF SPARTANS TO CONQUOR AND DESTROY!!!! is Nissan. What in the **** where they thinking of when they built the 300ZX twin turbo? If the turbo ever goes bad, take the engine out. It's the easiest route. WTF???? What happens if one of the turbo seals go bad within the first 3 months of the motor/ turbo swap? It looks like the sausage fest has changed directions, not in your favor.

That's my rant. Discuss.

81911SC
04-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Are you flat rate?
How many hours does the water pump pay?

seanrg1116
04-04-2008, 07:39 AM
i am intotal agreement on both i used to live down the street from z1 motorsport and the did great work i would go up all the time just to check it out. But i did notice that almost every time i went up there they had the engine out of a car just so they could work on it. But that problem has a simple solution.......LS1

and for chryler the only way to fix there screw ups is to never ever buy them or recomend any to buy them.

but hey at least you are still gettin PAID

blackshine007
04-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Are you flat rate?
How many hours does the water pump pay?
6.5 man hours. Straight torture. I hope like hell that it's a non interference engine for all the hassle.

i am intotal agreement on both i used to live down the street from z1 motorsport and the did great work i would go up all the time just to check it out. But i did notice that almost every time i went up there they had the engine out of a car just so they could work on it. But that problem has a simple solution.......LS1

and for chryler the only way to fix there screw ups is to never ever buy them or recomend any to buy them.

but hey at least you are still gettin PAID
That's very true but I look at it this way.... I'm more partial to smaller jobs because I can get them done a little bit more quicker than the bigger jobs. Which means I'll make more money doing the smaller jobs due to the amount of time I might spend getting stuck on the big job due to something that would be unexpected. But I'll do big jobs nontheless. But the point I'm trying to poke ya'll with is that I truely believe the engineer's myth, which states that long ago a mechanic must have slept with an engineer's wife and found out about it and every since then the mechanic (technician) has been getting screwed over. I particularly believe that was the case for nissan and chrysler. Possibly honda too.

Oh, I gotta talk about Honda. Particularly the J series. Has anyone seen the EGR set up on this? WTF??? If it's clogged you basicly have to replace it, and "it" is being the entire aluminum log which goes across one bank to another and has coolant running through it. It has to be removed. And the the F series system before '94 was just stupid. If it's clogged, why must I drill the some caps to clean the ports? Very flawed.

Fr33way
04-07-2008, 01:14 PM
The Z32 engine bay I could see, but most 90's Nissans come apart in a few hours with a basic metric socket set 8/10/12/14/17/19/24/36. Do you ever work on Audi/Volkswagen products?

xbn83
04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
And the the F series system before '94 was just stupid. If it's clogged, why must I drill the some caps to clean the ports? Very flawed.

Not only the F, the H22 also. If you don't drill it carefully, the metal will drop into the intake manifold and you have to take the entire intake manifold out to clean. Taking it out is not that easy, tight space everywhere, and limited access to the bottom nuts. I feel you!

Footefan52
04-07-2008, 01:59 PM
They were thinking that Grammar in their advertising was a little more important for sales than a mechanics time

blackshine007
04-07-2008, 08:03 PM
The Z32 engine bay I could see, but most 90's Nissans come apart in a few hours with a basic metric socket set 8/10/12/14/17/19/24/36. Do you ever work on Audi/Volkswagen products?
A guy wanted me to do a timing belt for his Audi A6 2.7T. I know the front end has to come off for that job and I made him aware of that. And have of those are fairly easy, the others is straight Bullshyt. I went up to heritage VW and they had a Passat W8 with a engine about half way out of it. I thought for a second that it must have threw a rod. I asked the tecn who was working on it and he said that the engine was fine, he was just changing an O2 sensor and that was the procedure for doing it :eek:

They were thinking that Grammar in their advertising was a little more important for sales than a mechanics time I think they gave all the engineers a bunch of nuts and bolts and told them to have at it and come up with something that runs. Which was the case with most of what Chrysler puts out. Just something that "runs".

SandM
04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
amen, but i work on toyotas and i am loving it

1SICKLEX
04-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Lexus ftmfw!

twincannon26
04-07-2008, 10:11 PM
whats up dude, its chris from douglasville, last time i saw you i had the black turbo rx-7. long time no see! anyway, i too work at a shop, and share your utter hatred torwards chrysler products. the hatred was instilled in me at a young age by my father, and it burns today. the stupidity used in building thier forsaken products, as well as their abilty to overcomplicate even the simplest jobs is rediculous.

blackshine007
04-07-2008, 10:44 PM
^^HAH, Chris? Whatcha been up to man? I never hear anything from ya. Last time I heard from you you worked at Bud's Benzs. Still there?

KPowerEP3
04-07-2008, 11:19 PM
On the timing belt/water pump thing, you can't ACTUALLY blame Chrysler. I'm no fan of them, but in mine [which is powered, as we all know, by a Mitsu. engine] it's the same way. Thank the Japanese and the idea of Technology sharing for that one.

twincannon26
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
nah, im a tech at kaufmann tire now, get a much broader experience. see that you're still running 626's, good to know some things dont ever change haha

blackshine007
04-08-2008, 11:30 PM
On the timing belt/water pump thing, you can't ACTUALLY blame Chrysler. I'm no fan of them, but in mine [which is powered, as we all know, by a Mitsu. engine] it's the same way. Thank the Japanese and the idea of Technology sharing for that one.
Actually, yes I can. There's not a hint of technology sharing on that thing. Closed deck design with flat top pistons, no cut outs for the valves to keep from totally bending them. Yeah, that's definately a chrysler thing.

And as far as the DSM's go, that was F***ing retarded on the engines/ parts. It's actually cheaper to get a clutch for a turbo or one powered by a mitsubishi engine. If it has the chrysler 2.0L, the clutch/flywheel assembly is like $170 compared to just $50 for a clutch (starting off) or higher. Designing the Chrysler 2.0L with the 5 speed as if it were an automatic. It's easy to change the clutch, but damn. I'm glad I don't have to pay for it.