PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Turbo or SC???

jville95
03-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Okay guys. I need a little insight here and maybe your input may get me what I need.

I have a 95 Accord with a 92-96 JDM H22A installed.
I'm looking to get a little more hp/tq and im looking into boosting now. I've surfed the web a little and I know that Jackson Racing doesn't manufacture a SC for this motor. They do on the 97+ models and Vortex has a wide selection but I'm waiting for them to respond to my email. Some say turbo is better but im kinda skeptical about going turbo due to the c/r of the h22 motor. Besides, a SC would give me better power over the whole rpm range so thats what im leanin towards. I know a smaller turbo, if that was the way I chose to go, would be better because lag would pretty much be eliminated. I am keepin it a DD even though I have an Integra to drive but also, w/o changing the internals, I'd like to keep th psi low, anywhere from 4-7 at the max because Im not trying to blow the motor by any means!! :no: I would like to get 220-260 whp before its all said and done but what do you guys think???

osiriskidd
03-30-2008, 03:38 PM
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7539/youshouldkillyourselfannx0.gif

brandenj
03-30-2008, 03:45 PM
maybe a good title would have been jdm h22a boost. Turbo or sc? has been overused. you know my advice...if no s/c is made for it go w/ a small turbo w/ low boost

jville95
03-30-2008, 03:48 PM
well thats whati may be end up doing. what is teh average life span of a low-boost turbo?
I've heard 60-70k. I've heard the life of the car.

brandenj
03-30-2008, 04:26 PM
check this... http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=55997

Brown Man
04-03-2008, 03:13 PM
turbo ftw

jaystar
04-03-2008, 03:31 PM
turbo u would get way more power. but what is the power range u looking 2 hit ?

jville95
04-03-2008, 06:27 PM
but what is the power range u looking 2 hit ?

Well i've been doing my research and to be realistic, with the H22A, I'm looking to get 260 - 280whp. I'm prolly gonna run around 5-6psi on a low-boost setup just because i've heard that motor doens't hold boost well.:ninja:

blackshine007
04-03-2008, 06:48 PM
I think you wanting to go with a small turbo would be a good idea. With a small turbo, it will spool damn near off idle and may peak out around 5k. Vtec will make up for the rest of the power and as a result you will gain more top end power due to positive pressure. Basicly, you'll have a honda with torque to match.

jville95
04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
yeah. thats what im pretty much looking for. just some power to get in some butts off the line. :lmfao:

helcat17
04-04-2008, 01:20 AM
i would say go with a small turbo however im not positive about that particular motor but i wana say that your hp goal is a lil high for stock internals agin im not positive though i know more about b series than h :(

R32Dragon
04-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Im no honda boost expert. But one thing I know is a designer SC kit from JR or Vortex will set you back a few G's easy. Scrape together a ghetto turbo kit like every other Honda guy seems to do on the cheap.

BlkCD5
04-04-2008, 06:09 AM
^ exactly, consider looking into a T25 turbo for your setup. It's small, can be found for cheap and is ideal for low boost(turbo maxes out @ 14psi). Beware though, you might end up craving for more power with boost.

jville95
04-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Beware though, you might end up craving for more power with boost.

Well my mechanic told me the problem with turbo's is that they're "addictive." Hell, when I went from a stock accord motor to the H22, I could tell a difference just ridin in 4th gear so I can prolly see how! :doh:

jville95
04-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Im no honda boost expert. But one thing I know is a designer SC kit from JR or Vortex will set you back a few G's easy. Scrape together a ghetto turbo kit like every other Honda guy seems to do on the cheap.

yeah, I believe turbo will be th option because i called JR and Vortech SC and neither one of them manufactures a SC kit for this motor. :(

Turbo it is!!! :goodjob: :bump:

Axix23
04-04-2008, 01:02 PM
go turbo and call it a day... even with the 97+ h22a, your accord's hood won't clear with the jrsc on..

jville95
04-04-2008, 07:59 PM
go turbo and call it a day... even with the 97+ h22a, your accord's hood won't clear with the jrsc on..

I figured that too. is that true for the 92-96 JDM H22A's as well? :dunno:

BlkCD5
04-05-2008, 12:48 AM
yes, its just how the accord was designed. Also i heard it was a firewall issue clearance as well.

.blank cd
04-05-2008, 02:02 AM
There is very much a firewall clearence w/ the superchargers. If it was me, i would go NA on that H22 cause ur gonna want more boost and your investment might go out the window.

jville95
04-05-2008, 10:30 AM
If it was me, i would go NA on that H22 cause ur gonna want more boost and your investment might go out the window.

So what would you recommend as far as N/A goes? Better internals? :rolleyes:

jaystar
04-05-2008, 12:13 PM
get a turbo kit get pistons and rods and block guard. And boost 10 psi u would be happy

B_Hoov
04-05-2008, 06:12 PM
if you want to run SC i have a buddy that owns fat cat fabrication and he does alot of work on le'mans and rolex cars so i assure you his quality is second to none, anyways, he has like an 03 tiburon i think, and had a Mercedes supercharger just sitting on his bench, well in a few hours he had an intake manifold made to incorporate that supercharger on his tiburon! im certain he could make one for an H!

jville95
04-05-2008, 08:49 PM
get a turbo kit get pistons and rods and block guard. And boost 10 psi u would be happy
I know a closed deck motor holds up alot better vs an open deck when it comes to boost but even with upgraded internals, will the block still hold the high compression of a turbo? That is my only concern is that I'm not trying to over-do it in any way. Just something reliable and quick off the line.
:thinking:

jville95
04-05-2008, 08:52 PM
if you want to run SC i have a buddy that owns fat cat fabrication and he does alot of work on le'mans and rolex cars so i assure you his quality is second to none, anyways, he has like an 03 tiburon i think, and had a Mercedes supercharger just sitting on his bench, well in a few hours he had an intake manifold made to incorporate that supercharger on his tiburon! im certain he could make one for an H!

Well if you could, pm me his number, address or website if he has one so I can check him out. That may not be a bad idea. :cool:

B_Hoov
04-05-2008, 11:43 PM
im going to go see him Monday, i will get an official website and business phone number as im not sure he would want me giving out his celly. i will pm you when i get the info

B_Hoov
04-05-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.fatcatfabrication.com/

jaystar
04-05-2008, 11:50 PM
I know a closed deck motor holds up alot better vs an open deck when it comes to boost but even with upgraded internals, will the block still hold the high compression of a turbo? That is my only concern is that I'm not trying to over-do it in any way. Just something reliable and quick off the line.
:thinking:

For what the h/p u looking 2 get and boost 10 psi pistons and rods a good tune u should be safe. Plus a clutch upgrade and good tune

jville95
04-06-2008, 12:35 PM
i will pm you when i get the info
Cool. Thanks. :)

jville95
04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
For what the h/p u looking 2 get and boost 10 psi pistons and rods a good tune u should be safe. Plus a clutch upgrade and good tune
I already have an Exedy stg 2 clutch kit and i'm prolly gonna order an Exedy flywheel from Passwordjdm.com. Good tune, :goodjob: and pistons and rods :rolleyes: , depends on my money but it may be worth it. Now when all that is said and done, how long do you think it'll hold? (mind you, its not gonna be driven but maybe 2-3 times per week if that.)

jaystar
04-06-2008, 12:59 PM
good tune and as long as u dont go pushing it like a made man every where u go. it can hold 4 a very long time.

B_Hoov
04-06-2008, 05:41 PM
he said use the phone number off the website to get ahold of him monday

jville95
04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
good tune and as long as u dont go pushing it like a made man every where u go. it can hold 4 a very long time.
lol. I can understand that.

Terror
04-11-2008, 09:19 AM
turbocharga!

SPEEDKID
04-17-2008, 03:54 PM
supercharga!

soul
04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
turbo, cheaper and just as reliable and more power

B_Hoov
04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
dude if your going sc h22 on an accord bring that intake mani to me and i guarantee i can make it clear that hood, little shaving here, little welding there...no sweat! you wont even have to run hood spacers!

WhiteAccord
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Maybe you should have just kept the F series motor and boosting that instead, you could have saved more money, have more boost and probaably have the same results.
And you wont get 260-280 Your more looking at 250 maybe on a good tune, @7psi.

jville95
04-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Maybe you should have just kept the F series motor and boosting that instead, you could have saved more money, have more boost and probaably have the same results.
And you wont get 260-280 Your more looking at 250 maybe on a good tune, @7psi.
Well I can deal with 240-250 realistically on 7 psi with a good tune. Im not trying to get crazy or anything but that is would be good for me. Thanks for the info. :goodjob:

jville95
04-19-2008, 09:27 AM
dude if your going sc h22 on an accord bring that intake mani to me and i guarantee i can make it clear that hood, little shaving here, little welding there...no sweat! you wont even have to run hood spacers!
Well really the only SC i wanted was from JR but they dont do anything for the 92-96 H22's and neither does Vortech. So now turbo will be the choice of the boost process!! :crazy:

stu93gsx
04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I like the idea of a t-25 but if you are going to do a complete turbo install you should look into a t-28. Get a dsm flange for the manifold or just buy a complete manifold, then get bigger injectors, buy a side mount intercooler, or just an ebay front mount if you are only going for arounf 250 and you will be able to piece this together for around 800 bucks.

KPowerEP3
04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
I'd ubercharge it.

01CDMLUDER
04-25-2008, 08:56 PM
i sure u could get the supercharger to fit! they say it wont fit in a 92-96 prelude but i've seen plenty of em with jrsc on them. either way u go u have a good motor for boost b/c its a closed deck. but if u wanted to boosted it why didn't u just keep the f22?

jville95
07-14-2009, 08:51 PM
but if u wanted to boosted it why didn't u just keep the f22?

Well I didn't know I was gonna want it boosted. At the time I was just getting INTO cars and I knew very very little about the turbo's.
So once I got the H22A, aw mann!! My accord became a monster to me ANYWAY!!
(And as it goes, "you're always gonna want MORE!") and now I do!! :rolleyes:

Captain-Obvious™
07-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Over 14 months for you to respond? Been busy huh? :lmao:

Doppelgänger
07-15-2009, 11:28 AM
lulz

Asking which is better will always net you a different opinion from each individual. Both have their good sides and bad sides. I've had 3 boosted Miatas..2 s/c and 1 turbo...so I have a good idea on using both on one particular chassis.

The s/c was fun. It's the kind of thing you put it on and forget about it. They are very low maintainence with the exception of slightly accelerated belt wear. A roots/eaton/twin-screw/positive displacement blower increases low-end quite well and make dd'ing easy. Also, it doesn't require cooling down after driving hard or more frequent oil changes like turbo cars do. Now, centrifigual superchargers act more like turbos and increase top-end power more than anything and don't really feel like the "typical" supercharger you'd expect. The downside is a lack of being able to modify/add-onn to a s/c. Sure you can get smaller pulleys, port/balance the blower and do some serious tuning. The set-ups I had on my Miatas were pretty maxed out and putting down 190-200rwhp (JRSC MP45). I could have gone with a MP62 and had mid-200's pretty easily...but at the cost of a new s/c kit as nothing from the MP45 kit swaps over. Overall, it's a "throw it on a forget about it" system...and if you're happy with a mild bump in numbers and don't really care to nickel and dome your car to eek out every las HP, then a s/c is fine.

Turbos allow for far more flexability. There is an almost limtless range of sizes to suit the power goals you seek and most of the time, if you want more power, it's just a tweak of the wastegate away. But, you do need to keep more of an eye on everything. You have to let the car cool down if you've been beating on it, it does lower the life of your oil and there is a lot more underhood heat. You also have to keep an eye on oil lines (you'd be surprised what a stainless steel braded oil feed line can cut through), water lines (if equipped) need to be watch for cracks/leaks and making sure you arean't over-spooling the turbo because of exhaust leaks/mad fasteners. After any event that I run my car hard, I change the oil, pulle the heat shield off and check all the nuts and bolts holding the turbo/maifold/down-pipe together. Also, IMHO turbos require better engine management/tuning as well. If you like tinkering on the car, adding parts...a turbo is not a bad idea...because you'll almost always be seeing what you can do to make it that much better.

And yes, I saw the posting dates..but figured i'd still contribute since the OP seems to have not made a decision...and for anyone else looking for some insight to the two systems.

AnthonyF
07-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Jesus christ. There needs to be a sticky about turbos and S/c's so no more of these bs comparisons keep popping up.

I had a Procharger D-1SC and I still say Turbo > S/C

-Ant.

jville95
07-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Over 14 months for you to respond? Been busy huh? :lmao:

:blah: LoL!!! Eh, I guess you could say that I've been on the low. :ninja:

Batlground
07-15-2009, 06:25 PM
turbo, turbo, turbo

jville95
07-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I will most likely go turbo!!
Thx for everyone's input that helped!!!

jville95
07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
lulz

Asking which is better will always net you a different opinion from each individual. Both have their good sides and bad sides. I've had 3 boosted Miatas..2 s/c and 1 turbo...so I have a good idea on using both on one particular chassis.

The s/c was fun. It's the kind of thing you put it on and forget about it. They are very low maintainence with the exception of slightly accelerated belt wear. A roots/eaton/twin-screw/positive displacement blower increases low-end quite well and make dd'ing easy. Also, it doesn't require cooling down after driving hard or more frequent oil changes like turbo cars do. Now, centrifigual superchargers act more like turbos and increase top-end power more than anything and don't really feel like the "typical" supercharger you'd expect. The downside is a lack of being able to modify/add-onn to a s/c. Sure you can get smaller pulleys, port/balance the blower and do some serious tuning. The set-ups I had on my Miatas were pretty maxed out and putting down 190-200rwhp (JRSC MP45). I could have gone with a MP62 and had mid-200's pretty easily...but at the cost of a new s/c kit as nothing from the MP45 kit swaps over. Overall, it's a "throw it on a forget about it" system...and if you're happy with a mild bump in numbers and don't really care to nickel and dome your car to eek out every las HP, then a s/c is fine.

Turbos allow for far more flexability. There is an almost limtless range of sizes to suit the power goals you seek and most of the time, if you want more power, it's just a tweak of the wastegate away. But, you do need to keep more of an eye on everything. You have to let the car cool down if you've been beating on it, it does lower the life of your oil and there is a lot more underhood heat. You also have to keep an eye on oil lines (you'd be surprised what a stainless steel braded oil feed line can cut through), water lines (if equipped) need to be watch for cracks/leaks and making sure you arean't over-spooling the turbo because of exhaust leaks/mad fasteners. After any event that I run my car hard, I change the oil, pulle the heat shield off and check all the nuts and bolts holding the turbo/maifold/down-pipe together. Also, IMHO turbos require better engine management/tuning as well. If you like tinkering on the car, adding parts...a turbo is not a bad idea...because you'll almost always be seeing what you can do to make it that much better.

And yes, I saw the posting dates..but figured i'd still contribute since the OP seems to have not made a decision...and for anyone else looking for some insight to the two systems.

^bump! Great info!! :yes: