PDA

View Full Version : maintenance light and how to down shift?

tightflks
03-29-2008, 06:00 PM
ok well the maintenance light thing, i've noticed it blinks for like 5 seconds I start my car, and then it goes off

i really dont know if it always did that but i feel like it ididnt, i have an integra gsr 2000, yall think anything is wrong?

and how do you down shift? i was messin around with switching gears and the closest thing i do that i think would be downshifting is im goin like 60 mph in 5th, and i know in 3rd 60 mph is like 5-6 rpm, so when goin 60 in 5th i push the clutch in, rev to about 5-6 rpm and switch to third, but seems like it doesnt do what i feel like everyone talks about when downshifting

o and would an exhaust leak effect mpg?

thepolecat
03-29-2008, 06:01 PM
I though you knew all...

Scotsman
03-29-2008, 06:03 PM
if you drive a 5 spd and dont know how to downshift................................sell it and get an auto , as far as the CEL buy a manual and it will tell you what code you are throwin

tightflks
03-29-2008, 06:06 PM
if you drive a 5 spd and dont know how to downshift................................sell it and get an auto , as far as the CEL buy a manual and it will tell you what code you are throwin

that makes no sense, i'm new to manual so i'd like to learn everything i can do, and its not the CEL its the maint required light, but like i said it goes off after like 5 seconds of blinking

Scotsman
03-29-2008, 06:09 PM
the blinking represents a code , kinda like morse code , in a helms/chiltons/haynes manual , it will tell you what the code is

thepolecat
03-29-2008, 06:12 PM
or check online- they are listed all over teh internetz. as for downshifting- dont get too hasty... give it some time and you will get the feel for it.

Scotsman
03-29-2008, 06:14 PM
:stupid:
or check online- they are listed all over teh internetz. as for downshifting- dont get too hasty... give it some time and you will get the feel for it.:stupid:

Mangrum
03-29-2008, 06:25 PM
wow

MR2DR
03-29-2008, 06:40 PM
acura is gay and has the blinking maintainance lights for your car to let you know it's time for your X thousand mile service. There's a way to reset the blinking light for each car... if anything you should search a teggy forum. Or.... you can check the owner's manual.

Ricer
03-29-2008, 09:03 PM
the maintenance required light is different than a check engine light.. maint. required is based on mileage driven... thats all.. nothing more.. there is nothing wrong with your car

black95se
03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
i think on my integra there was a reset button down by your knees. but that was there years ago. by the way how many miles are on the car?

Justin.
03-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Mine blinks like that...Done it ever since I had the car.

Doubt it means anything cause it blinks when the other lights come on then goes off.

black95se
03-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Mine blinks like that...Done it ever since I had the car.

Doubt it means anything cause it blinks when the other lights come on then goes off.

now that you mention it. I think it is just part of the initall(sp) start up. when mine came on it stayed on while the car was running. I called acura and they told me how to reset it.

Justin.
03-30-2008, 07:09 PM
now that you mention it. I think it is just part of the initall(sp) start up. when mine came on it stayed on while the car was running. I called acura and they told me how to reset it.

Yup, cause of the initial start up...haha just having fun reps cause I can.

Benefit
03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
its under your dash by your right knee , little blue button...hold it for like 5 seconds

iNsTuN nOoDoH
03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Yea, maint req'd is just a reminder light to get your car serviced. You can reset it with the button beneath the steering column. It has nothing to do with your check engine light like everyone's told you.

AnTi-PooN
03-30-2008, 10:44 PM
hahaha^^^ pwnd

RandomGuy
03-31-2008, 02:47 AM
down shifting is any time you go from a higher gear to a lower gear, ie as you're approaching a stop, exitting highway, etc... Of course there are things like rev matching that make the process easier, etc...

You do it not knowingly you just now have a word to put with it "downshifting"

Thighs
03-31-2008, 10:26 AM
and how do you down shift? i was messin around with switching gears and the closest thing i do that i think would be downshifting is im goin like 60 mph in 5th, and i know in 3rd 60 mph is like 5-6 rpm, so when goin 60 in 5th i push the clutch in, rev to about 5-6 rpm and switch to third, but seems like it doesnt do what i feel like everyone talks about when downshifting

o and would an exhaust leak effect mpg?

wtf. why are you downshifting from 5th to third? you have a 4th gear right? the reason it is acting weird when you downshift is most likely because you are skipping a gear and your rpms arent compensating for the change in gear ratio.

and no, unless it is a MONSTER exhaust leak (i.e open header) your gas mileage wont see a noticeable difference. maybe your mileage sucks because you are revving to 6k every time you go to stop while you downshift from 5th to 3rd?

speedminded
03-31-2008, 01:19 PM
if you drive a 5 spd and dont know how to downshift................................sell it and get an auto , as far as the CEL buy a manual and it will tell you what code you are throwinThe maintenence light doesn't throw a code fool.

There's a button under the steering column you press and hold to turn it off. The light is there to notify that a service interval is coming up.

*edit*
Just noticed everyone corrected the drunk!

yungdz
03-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Don't rev between shifts, just put it in gear but make sure you'll have enough rpm's to compensate. You can downshift to engine brake when coming to a stop, or you can downshift to boost the rpm's when trying to accelerate. (i.e you are cruising in fifth at about 3k and need to speed up fast but your car lacks the hp to just floor it and go so you downshift to a lower gear to get things moving) If you have a turbo car then you can try and doing a little clucth kick to spool the turbo but you'll end up breaking something eventually or killing your clutch

Thighs
03-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Don't rev between shifts, just put it in gear but make sure you'll have enough rpm's to compensate. You can downshift to engine brake when coming to a stop, or you can downshift to boost the rpm's when trying to accelerate. (i.e you are cruising in fifth at about 3k and need to speed up fast but your car lacks the hp to just floor it and go so you downshift to a lower gear to get things moving) If you have a turbo car then you can try and doing a little clucth kick to spool the turbo but you'll end up breaking something eventually or killing your clutch

so your saying that you do not need to blip the throttle when downshifting? :no:

IDCoconut
03-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Don't rev between shifts, just put it in gear but make sure you'll have enough rpm's to compensate.

wtf? that's an un-controlled deceleration = not good. Plus, you wear your clutch down quicker along with higher drivetrain stresses. Plus more wear on your tranny syncros when you try to jam your shifter into third from 5th with a 2000+ rpm difference between your flywheel and drivetrain.

I can't believe someone would give that advice...

IT'S A GOOD PRACTICE TO REV MATCH WHILE DOWNSHIFTING.

osiriskidd
04-01-2008, 09:41 AM
rev match when driving everyday. 5th to 3rd just rev it to like 5k-rpm before you let the clutch out.

its a figure that changes per car. but the whole point is to have to switch gears smoothly. no jerking, no sputtering.

KPowerEP3
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM

Try again?

Rev matching FTW.
'clutch kick to spool?' WTF is this? Brake boost it if you're going to do something like that.

Like everyone else has said, what rev matching or 'blipping the throttle' is, is matching your RPMs to what they will be when the clutch disengages in the lower gear. The more you do this while driving, the better you'll become at it, as you have to know your car really well to be right on the money with it. Also like everyone else said, this will allow quicker acceleration as well as less drivetrain/clutch wear and tear.