PDA

View Full Version : What drifting techs do you use?

lazyboi444
08-13-2005, 06:19 AM
Hey guys i was wondering what drifting techniques do you use and how they work out for you? And also is there anybody who is tall and can perform the heel toe?

CodyW
08-13-2005, 10:49 AM
i'm fairly tall as well (6'1) but i can still pull it off (shoes make a big difference in it, try something fairly thin as opposed to reguar sneakers or whatever). however, i've never used that method for drifting and tend to stick to clutch kicking, e-brake, and a little feint.

KoukiDrftr
08-13-2005, 11:40 AM
im 6'3 and i agree about the shoe thing when it comes to heel toe. but i use clutch dump everytime. i just like it better i guess...

flysi00
08-13-2005, 11:58 AM
im 6'3 and i agree about the shoe thing when it comes to heel toe. but i use clutch dump everytime. i just like it better i guess...

yeah same here im 6'3 and i always do clutch dump or e-brake i found out thats how it work for me best

lazyboi444
08-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Yeah i'm 6'4 but have small feet for my height i wear a size 11! But i've found that in some cars i can do it but in some i can't and i was just wondering can anybody else do it that is tall as i'am in like a S14 or S13! Also doesn't Clutch kicking put a lot of stress on the drive train?

HiPSI
08-13-2005, 07:28 PM
heel and toe is not a drifting technique, at least not to initiate a drift. heel and toe is only to match revs on a downshift, which you won't be doing in drifting because there's hardly a need for it until you're doing very high speed drifts with a changing radius.

clutch kick is the easiest to get the car to slide other than just power over, but if you're afraid of hurting the drivetrain find another hobby.

DrivenMind
08-13-2005, 09:10 PM
I'm 5'10 and I wear a 11.5 size shoe. Depending on my tires I usually use feint motion, combined with a sidestep (clutch kick) as the weight transfers to initiate the drift. It's a predictable way to induce the slide although it keeps you from going into the corner entrance sideways. At the last event I started experimenting with shift locking combined with feint to initiate the drift which is a little harder (to do, and on the car) but worked really well.

http://www.drivenminds.net/downloads/Southern_Fried_Slide_3.mov
That's the video of did for the last event Southern Friend Slide 3 and it's got two camera views (on-car, and out) of one of the shift lock runs in my AE86.

A lot of the more advanced drifters tell you to use good (sticky) tires all the way around, no matter what kind of car you drive... but I find in my AE86 that drifting on a sticky tire out back causes me to loose a lot of speed the second the car goes sideways.
At the last event I used the oldest, lowest grip tires I could find and just went as fast as I could before the first corner. This allowed me to build up enough speed to carry the car through the course with a semi-decent angle.

oh and you use heel and toeing to rev match for a down shift, not to really initiate a drift.

lazyboi444
08-14-2005, 12:06 AM
And i do know that heel and toe is not a drift technique!Well i'm really not concerned with the fact that clutch kicking stresses drive train! But anyways i just figured out how i can do heel and toe! Hipsi calm down, i'm not stupid i, know alot about drifting, i was only questioning whether people my size can intiate the heel toe! Well thanks guys for your input! Who's all going back to SFS?

I know i will soon as i get my car! So please pray for me or something because i don't mind voluteering at SFS but i wanna drive to you guys look like you are having so much fun and i get jealous!

YokotaS13
08-14-2005, 12:23 PM
look into the addidas shoes, the thin ones are great driving shoes. I bought them especially for sprited driving.(no del sol jokes please)

lazyboi444
08-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks! Did you get yours from like sports authority or footlocker?

HiPSI
08-14-2005, 06:04 PM
And i do know that heel and toe is not a drift technique!Well i'm really not concerned with the fact that clutch kicking stresses drive train! But anyways i just figured out how i can do heel and toe! Hipsi calm down, i'm not stupid i, know alot about drifting, i was only questioning whether people my size can intiate the heel toe! Well thanks guys for your input! Who's all going back to SFS?

ok then....

Hey guys i was wondering what drifting techniques do you use? I'm posting this because i was wondering if anybody in here can do heel and toe and if they are tall because i have a very hard time doing it and was wondering how can i adjust!

so you were asking what drift techniques we use because you wanted to know if someone your size can perform a driving technique that really doesn't have anything to do with drifting, in the drifting forum no doubt? oh wow, how could i have read that one wrong?!

and i'm glad you "know" a lot about drifting. out of curiosity how many events have you driven in so far? ;) you think you know, but you have no idea.

lazyboi444
08-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Events I've only been in one and that was a mini setup by me and my friends! and why such the harsh comments i was only asking! Jeez!!! Nobody else had a hard time answering my question but you! You made it into something very unnecessary! But oh well you can be that way! I'm just a noob in drifting and was looking for pointers thats all ! Let me ask you this have you been to SFS? And i'm not trying to get smart or anything just asking!

HiPSI
08-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Events I've only been in one and that was a mini setup by me and my friends! and why such the harsh comments i was only asking! Jeez!!! Nobody else had a hard time answering my question but you! You made it into something very unnecessary! But oh well you can be that way! I'm just a noob in drifting and was looking for pointers thats all ! Let me ask you this have you been to SFS? And i'm not trying to get smart or anything just asking!

why get defensive? yes, i was at the inaugural SFS event, what does that have to do with this? if it helps, i've also been to ocala with DG a few times, done a drift exhibition and events with SEDA, and a US Drift event in charlotte and i'm now an instructor for SEDA. several people answered you the same way i did, just in a less detailed way. the way your post was written it implies that heel-toe is a drifting technique, and as such i pointed out that it is not. i'm not trying to come down on you personally, but it's now obvious you saw how your post sounded and edited it. if you think i was being harsh then you need to thicken your skin a bit, i was going easy on you ;)

lazyboi444
08-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Ok very understandable! But i was askin about you going to SFS because i know who you are and seemed a cool when i met you but oh well! No hard feelings!

Ran
09-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Necromancing the thread. "Rise from your grave"

Heel-Toe shifting? Try being 6'3" and doing that in a Miata. It's not really easy but I've gotten used to it. However, I hardly ever find a use for it. *shrug*

My main two techniques are clutch kick and power over. I soon follow that by a big spinout because I suck.

See you guys at SFS I hope.

DrivenMind
09-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Necromancing the thread. "Rise from your grave"

Heel-Toe shifting? Try being 6'3" and doing that in a Miata. It's not really easy but I've gotten used to it. However, I hardly ever find a use for it. *shrug*

My main two techniques are clutch kick and power over. I soon follow that by a big spinout because I suck.

Work on weight transfer in conjunction with a well timed clutch kick or shift lock. I've seen you drive, and I wouldn't say you suck at all... You're practicing just every other one of the 40 people out there... practice makes perfect.

MitsuMan
09-17-2005, 11:57 PM
power over + weight transfer ;)

HiPSI
09-18-2005, 10:56 AM

if you're spinning you're either not countersteering quick enough, or just going too much into the power over and not balancing the power. if you just plant your foot and keep it there you'll loop almost every time. my general technique with a clutch kick is to bump the clutch and barely keep my foot on the gas, the car will rotate from inertia alone. as i come to full lock is when i begin applying throttle to throttle steer the car and use small steering inputs to keep the angle.

teggy 2nr
09-20-2005, 09:29 AM
adidas adiracers!!!!! perfect shoes for the heel and toe. im 5' 11" and big feet helps to heel the acc. and toe the brakes

DriftGirl
10-30-2005, 09:30 AM
clutch kicking and a little feint......thats all I know really

WideOpenPhil
11-03-2005, 11:18 PM
I use feint, clutch kick, powerover, shift-lock (when downshifting) and clutch drop (while upshifting) the most. Those are probably the easiest to learn.
I'm 5'10" and i have very long legs, and i wear a siza 10 1/2 shoe and i have trouble with heel-toe. My knees hit the bottom of the steering collumn and my shoes hit the wrong pedals.