PDA

View Full Version : Misc Who is better?

Revmaynard
03-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok, coming from a debate from a friend and myself, which is better of the two. They're different genres but I think Outkast is better than Van Halen and he think's otherwise. You guys just hit up the poll.

TheGrillMan
03-29-2008, 04:36 PM
VAN HALEN ftw!!!!!!

Revmaynard
03-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Alright, if my calculations are correct, you're about to get pwned. lol

TheGrillMan
03-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Alright, if my calculations are correct, you're about to get pwned. lol

ummm

sike?

HyPer50
03-29-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm not even that much of a rap fan and I still picked outkast. Van Halen is alright but they are nothing special when compared to the other big bands of the era. Just average.

Revmaynard
03-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I told him pretty much the same thing. LOL

TheGrillMan
03-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm not even that much of a rap fan and I still picked outkast. Van Halen is alright but they are nothing special when compared to the other big bands of the era. Just average.

Scotsman
03-29-2008, 06:32 PM
i like van halen not van haggar

quickdodge®
03-29-2008, 07:17 PM
VAN HALEN ftw!!!!!!

Exactly. Why is this even a question? Later, QD.

BKgen®
03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
V.

H.

TheGrillMan
03-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Exactly. Why is this even a question? Later, QD.

smart guy over here thinks outkast = uber ownage of VH

hondachik
03-30-2008, 10:12 AM
I vote Outkast.

quickdodge®
03-30-2008, 10:16 AM
^^^ you also don't know and are probably biased. Later, QD.

BABY J
03-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Elaborate...

more enjoyable? more creative? longevity (as powerhouses in their genre, not time)? i need more detail b4 I can answer this.

quickdodge®
03-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Elaborate...

more enjoyable? more creative? longevity (as powerhouses in their genre, not time)? i need more detail b4 I can answer this.

They are both enjoyable/entertaining in their respective genres.
Longevity is hands slammed down obvious.
They were both pretty big groups in their genre.

You can't compare album sales seeing as how VH has been around for at least 10 years longer. VH had a much larger following in their heyday than OK did in theirs.

I have no idea why this is even a question as there is really no comparing the two. They are two very different styles of music to (the majority) very different styles of audiences.

The vote right now 10-3, Outkast. But you have to remember that this board is made up of probably 90% of people that were barely born when VH was in their prime years. They are biased towards the music they actually grew up on and not "in the know" of earlier groups. I was the same way. I used to NEVER listen to groups like Lynyrd Skynyrd when I was younger. Now I listen to them and think they were one of the best groups to come out of the 70s and even better than VH. Later, QD.

hondachik
03-30-2008, 10:27 AM
^^^ you also don't know and are probably biased. Later, QD.

You are correct. I vote Outkast because I have "heard of" Van Halen, but never had a listen of his music. Or at least none that I remember. I listen to throwback Outkast songs on the regular, soo..yeah.

Rev...can we add an "I dont know" =\

TheGrillMan
03-30-2008, 10:42 AM

You can't compare album sales seeing as how VH has been around for at least 10 years longer. VH had a much larger following in their heyday than OK did in theirs.

I have no idea why this is even a question as there is really no comparing the two. They are two very different styles of music to (the majority) very different styles of audiences.

The vote right now 10-3, Outkast. But you have to remember that this board is made up of probably 90% of people that were barely born when VH was in their prime years. They are biased towards the music they actually grew up on and not "in the know" of earlier groups. I was the same way. I used to NEVER listen to groups like Lynyrd Skynyrd when I was younger. Now I listen to them and think they were one of the best groups to come out of the 70s and even better than VH. Later, QD.

funny part is, im 19 lol

Hulud
03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
i love debates like this about music

when will people learn that music is art so its all just subjective? this is like comparing a picasso to a van gogh.

quickdodge®
03-30-2008, 11:33 AM
this is like comparing a picasso to a van gogh.

I don't know about that. Maybe more like comparing Scary Movie 3 to The Sound of Music. Later, QD.

Julio
03-30-2008, 11:49 AM
can't compare....

But I would choose VAN HALEN and im a of FAN of hip hop.

But you got to give respect where is due and when VAN HALEN was in there prime.. they had a movement.. granted I was small and never a fan... But have read alot in my lifetime about music to know and understand why the **** you would compare

VAN HALEN to OUTKAST...

VAN HALEN = almost a dynasty

OUTKAST = a couple of EMO with OK music.

Barefoot
03-30-2008, 01:22 PM
I don't know about that. Maybe more like comparing Scary Movie 3 to The Sound of Music. Later, QD.
lol your so funny

TheProfiteer
03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
I choose outkast, but in reality they just cannot be compared.

Both have their merits though, Van Halen did create a rather significant cult following.

Outkast on the other hand, is by far one of the best lyricists to come out of the south rap game. Andre at least, Big Boi is sub par, but better than most. (in the south)

Hulud
03-31-2008, 12:49 PM
LOL you know what i mean

bandydesign
03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Obviously I have to pick my former neighbor; Outkast!

stillaneon
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
I prefer listening to Outkast over Van Halen but all in all, Van Halen definitely would win.

Revmaynard
03-31-2008, 02:39 PM

Eh, not really trying to argue a point. The poll is to see who is better, so it pretty much means the majority will decide this. Being alive during their primes doesn't really have anything to do it, it's going to be good ten years later if it's ever good. But that's your opinion and I have my own.:goodjob:

Also, that means you either don't like Outkast or you're saying Scary Movie 3 was good. lol I listend to more classic rock and such growing up with my dad and grew to like my own style of rock, but I like some hiphop, and Outkast defininetly holds number one for me.

quickdodge®
03-31-2008, 09:15 PM
The poll is to see who is better, so it pretty much means the majority will decide this. Being alive during their primes doesn't really have anything to do it,

Like I said, you have a majority member base here that wasn't even around when Van Halen was doing there thing. They grew up listening more to Outkast than VH. And being alive has a lot to do with this. A better poll would have have been to compare Outkast with a great/good band of the same time period as OK when they were hot.

And I didn't care for Scary Movie. Just posting two different genres of movies to compare to the two different styles of music. And I think OK is ok. Not that good. Later, QD.

Nomad!
04-03-2008, 11:53 AM
I have to roll with Outkast on this one. They seem to keep growing musically. I don't think all of their experimentation was successful but, I feel they continue to come full circle and lay down some bangers on the way.

With that being said, it's hard to ignore one of the most talented guitar players in Mr. Eddie Van Halen

FasTech
04-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Me being into rock, 70's 80's Hairbands, new rock...... I've got to go with Van Halen.....

Dr.G35
04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
depends on the day....today OutKast

DieselNuts
04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
have you heard "da art of story tellin (part 4)"? Andre's verse is incredible.

Revmaynard
04-15-2008, 01:28 PM
have you heard "da art of story tellin (part 4)"? Andre's verse is incredible.

Yea, what about the verse in Big Boi's new song, he kills Big Boi and Raekwon.

DieselNuts
04-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Yea, what about the verse in Big Boi's new song, he kills Big Boi and Raekwon.
dont know that ive heard that.

Revmaynard
04-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm gonna make a thread for it.

Barefoot
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
outkast all day

Just_CHill
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Van Halen was always overrated to me. I didn't live through that generation of music, and they were probably legendary to a bunch of people, but I probably have listen to more genres of music than 60% in IA so I'm not just basing it off of a few songs I've heard off the radio.

I do like them and they have some great music but I would still have to pick OK. Kinda funny cause one of their songs just came up on my playlist.

Not only does OK have some positive lyrics in some of their songs but they also incorporate different styles and instruments into their songs. As a musician, I love that!

quickdodge®
04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
This is still a "no comparison" poll. Most of the people on here, "who think they know rap" were raised more on OK than VH. Not only is two completely different styles of music, but it is between two completely different generations of people. The majority of people on IA are more into the hip hop music style than not only rock and roll, but of rock roll from years ago. Later, QD.

The12lber
04-16-2008, 06:03 AM
i love debates like this about music

when will people learn that music is art so its all just subjective? this is like comparing a picasso to a van gogh.

Its quite complex, there's a fine line between comparing subjective and objective qualities - however, there are definitely intrinsic objective qualities in music you can use to make a comparison. Like srsly, Led Zeppelin or Blink 182? :no:

Just_CHill
04-16-2008, 07:10 AM
This is still a "no comparison" poll. Most of the people on here, "who think they know rap" were raised more on OK than VH. Not only is two completely different styles of music, but it is between two completely different generations of people. The majority of people on IA are more into the hip hop music style than not only rock and roll, but of rock roll from years ago. Later, QD.
I agree.