PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Motors that fit a 93 mx-5?

Annik5k
03-25-2008, 08:48 PM
looking for good torque and something leaving space for a turbo later, i know Honda has a few and i would love some V-tec under my hood again...

Basically anything that isn't 114hp stock like the sad little 1.6L ive got now..

keep in mind this if for drift not so much racing..

any suggestions?

all-mota
03-25-2008, 09:00 PM
just do a 1.8 swap on the car or swap in a sr20 or 13b i've seen all of the swaps done before and looked pretty straight forward.

also toda racing makes a few na parts for the 1.6

Annik5k
03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
just do a 1.8 swap on the car or swap in a sr20 or 13b i've seen all of the swaps done before and looked pretty straight forward.

also toda racing makes a few na parts for the 1.6

well for instance i took it out drifting today and every time i go im dissapointed with the fact it dosent like to flick the rear (could be the clutch that like to squeek every now and then while im stopped)((replacing w/ stage 2 soon))

i just want something that isnt 1 a monter miata (FORD FTL) but more so keeping to the jap. roots... i was gonna do the 1.8 sway (+30BHP) but why when there are sooo many options with twice that number plus those nice high redlines

redrumracer
03-25-2008, 09:33 PM
the fe3 out of the kia sportage is almost a bolt in just some minor work needed and i believe the 1.8 exhaust fits as well as the older 1.8 intakes(not to sure on the intake though) and the fe3 is like a 2.0 or something like that. and its actually a mazda motor that they just put in a kia

redrumracer
03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
oh and also my 1.8 sees 8k daily and is still running strong. although different cams would be needed to actually make power up to 8k+

Annik5k
03-25-2008, 10:04 PM
thanks guys.. i think after little research im going with the 1.8 miata motor... anything other than that seems way to Fn pricy plus ive go the mazda in my bloodstream now it would be wrong to stick with any other motor co.

redrumracer
03-25-2008, 10:12 PM
heres one thread ive found on the FE3 swap. thought about doing it myself but my motor is just fine and happy http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10956&highlight=fe3

redrumracer
03-25-2008, 10:14 PM
as well as here. it was also linked in that thread http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=127204

metalman
03-26-2008, 06:21 AM
If it was me I'd stick with a 1.6 and go with a turbocharger.
Otherwise, a 94-7 1.8 with a 99 head would be the best combo.
Keep in mind, the performance difference between stock 1.6 and 1.8 is very slight.
The 1.6 enjoys the high revs while the 1.8 is more 'thrashy'.

v-empire
03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
a miata motor will fit in the mx-5

speedminded
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
looking for good torque and something leaving space for a turbo later, i know Honda has a few and i would love some V-tec under my hood again...

Basically anything that isn't 114hp stock like the sad little 1.6L ive got now..

any suggestions?lolol, torque...Honda? huh? :thinking:

If I had a Miata donor i'd try to make an inline-6 BMW engine fit.

v-empire
03-26-2008, 03:11 PM
the 1.6 motor from a miata will fit the mx-5 too.

it comes with 5 speed and sometimes AC.

mine came with radio and a bee gees CD

Elbow
03-26-2008, 03:26 PM
1.6 > 1.8

v-empire
03-26-2008, 03:35 PM
1.6 > 1.8

why does my 1.6 go thru spark plugs so fast??

i got high miles... any feed back?

oh yeah, miatas are fast on entry speeds by the way those si si cars..lol....

i passed an aston martin vantage and an STi , after they passed me raising their hands at my slow 75 mph, 1000 feet before the turn in, and before going in a long sweeping corner they went wide and slowed down, i pass them farther outside as soon as they turned, i was diving in at 75 MPH in a 25 ramp zone passing them way before the first apex... awesomeness....

i wouldnt change the car's balance. no understeer ftw

why does my paint peel, damn it??

i think i scared the car...? hah

why does my miata have poo poo v belt design on the pulley that snaps one a year?

JITB
03-26-2008, 03:41 PM
^^WHAT!!!

the only thing i can say for the B6D is that it has the beefy rods, and will last forever on boost. BUT...as far as 1.6 v. 1.8, you have the displacement and strength of the B6 with more displacement. And if u get a 1.8 and still have ur 1.6. you can throw the B6 rods in the Bp. and have a stout motor with 0$ spent. but depending on waht u want to do with the car. Your not gonna make alot of power out of the B6 on boost unless u do a crazy build..and still wont be a crazy amount. but atleast with the Bp u could see 500+ on a build. They both are great motors.

The Fe3 is built exactly like the b6 and the bp, and they are excellent motors. the jdm fe3 is the one u really want it makes 170-180hp na, and the ones in the sportage makes 150-160hp or so. but its hard to find a good one of those especially the jdm version.

why not try a 13b swap?

v-empire
03-26-2008, 03:44 PM
dont say Jap. it offends me

13b sounds like a great option i would so do.

20b is the nasties.... oh yes.

Dietcoke
03-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Since no one has said it yet, LS1.

v-empire
03-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Since no one has said it yet, LS1.

seen one done before up in MA....

made the car very BORING.... *Yawn*...

JITB
03-26-2008, 04:16 PM
dont say Jap. it offends me

13b sounds like a great option i would so do.

20b is the nasties.... oh yes.
\

edited for resepct..:)

Jecht
03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
The 1.8 barely makes any more power than the 1.6, plus the 1.6 is good for boost. Its pretty easy to get a Miata sideways - the difficult part is keeping it sideways. Plus you don't necessarily have to have torque or a lot of power to drift, Corolla drivers make even less power than Miatas and they manage fine.

redrumracer
03-26-2008, 07:55 PM
whats the wheel base on one of them corolla's? also from what i have read the fe3 can be stroked out to a 2.3 with factory parts

blackshine007
03-26-2008, 08:10 PM
13B FTW. Besides, they're easy to rebuild and as long as they're N/A, the apex seals will last and you can rev until your heart pukes. And less weight. If you do decide to boost, make sure you add the extra oil coolers. You're gonna need them.

Jecht
03-26-2008, 09:08 PM
whats the wheel base on one of them corolla's?

AE86 = 94.5 inches
Miata = 89.2 inches

The shorter wheel base makes the Miata harder to drift. They are practically the same weight as well. I would think the Miata would be harder to drift, but the AE86s are old and probably don't even make 90whp.

speedminded
03-27-2008, 08:49 AM

any suggestions?You saying drfiting can't be done successfully with a stock miata 1.6?

Jecht
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
You saying drfiting can't be done successfully with a stock miata 1.6?

I think that this is the case. I don't think he really knows what he is doing.

v-empire
03-27-2008, 10:12 AM
AE86 = 94.5 inches
Miata = 89.2 inches

The shorter wheel base makes the Miata harder to drift. They are practically the same weight as well. I would think the Miata would be harder to drift, but the AE86s are old and probably don't even make 90whp.

whats the width on both of them? lol.

i dunno both seem to drift fine.

just go to throw the car harder and the rest will follow. speed helps,
miata less angle than the hachi roku.

i seem to handle the miata better on speed runs, more modern suspension and go kart feel but the hachi is so fun to counter around and you can feel the car slide around, but just enough to control.

i wish toyota make more cars like these

redrumracer
03-27-2008, 10:15 AM
i know the miata's not that wide. i can open my arms wide and the car fits in between my arms

speedminded
03-27-2008, 10:16 AM
i know the miata's not that wide. i can open my arms wide and the car fits in between my armsWheel base fool :slap:

redrumracer
03-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Wheel base fool :slap:
the wheelbase was already posted

Thighs
03-27-2008, 10:26 AM
i just want mine running again :(

v-empire
03-27-2008, 10:31 AM
the trick to making the miata switch hard is to stiffen up the rears all the way... and slam it...

Jecht
03-27-2008, 10:44 AM
AE86
Wheelbase: 94.5 inches
Length: 165.5 inches
Width: 64 inches
Height: 52.6 inches

Miata
Wheelbase: 89.2 inches
Length: 156.3 inches
Width: 65.9 inches
Height: 48.6 inches

You can see that the Miata has a shorter wheelbase, shorter length, it is wider, and the height is much lower.

Short wheelbase = more oversteer, but doesn't keep sliding like other cars
Shorter length = less weight past the wheels. Miatas have practically no weight in front of the front wheels and behind the rear wheels to swing around.
Wider = more grip
lower height = lower center of gravity, which means the car grips the road better.

Miatas definitely were not designed to drift. lol

v-empire
03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
yay, they sure werent, but they do make awesome drift cars when you set up the suspension.. stiff with camber at the back causes the rears not to lay when you corner hard, because of the short damper design..... it wont slide for a fast track on a long sweeper as easy but you can manipulate you angle with mid braking and it will stay on the angle you want as long as you maintain speed and power over traction.

you should come and hang out i ll show you what i m talking about with the slight unorthodox setup, it so fun... hehe it makes the car a little twitchy when you dive into corner but not because of understeer but because of slight and tight body flex... but thats what makes a miata a good slow course track car.. they are designed to be fast around tight turns.

speedminded
03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
the wheelbase was already postedThen what are you refering to here? What is not that wide? Nobody posted a width. Do you think the wheel base = width?

i know the miata's not that wide. i can open my arms wide and the car fits in between my arms

redrumracer
03-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Then what are you refering to here? What is not that wide? Nobody posted a width. Do you think the wheel base = width?
the post right before where i said about my arm width that v-empire asked how wide are they

speedminded
03-27-2008, 02:57 PM
the post right before where i said about my arm width that v-empire asked how wide are theyohhh, when someone asked the width you said "not that wide" then compared it to your arms...I got it now.

Like anyone knows how wide your arms extend, lol :slap:

v-empire
03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
lol.. i know how wide they are, i have 2 of them.

i m saying if you compare wheel base, you have to measure the width to make a comparison with any value.

shorter wheel base may not mean its harder to drift in my opinion.

suspension setup is very tricky.

kumakubo's team orange cars are setup with an almost perfect square and nomuken's elongated skyline wheel base are opposite.
it seems the squarer the car, the faster the transition, and the style of driving comes from those aggressive setups.

to me, the longer skyline is slower and more transitional than the 180sx or s13 chassis and even the s14's. which also translate that it may be easier to drift but at that level of competition, it means you need more speed and faster hands and feet to compete... the 240sx would have been a better choice for many others on a same track but not on another. but all said, the reason why the miata doesnt compete in Japanese drifting is not because it cant, but because its too small of a car and the swiftness of the type of judging would put this to a disadvantage... they are looking for pretty and swift cars from a distance.... and a large car drifting with a smaller car will look odd and make the smaller car look less swift in transitions and less angle. same with the mr2, s2000, etc... only in the US its been fashioned so far.

thats just my feelings on the matter, of course i may be wrong.. i ll just keep messing with both the marroon and white skyline and my s-chassis and i ll share...

i also wanna do a full square setup with my 78 corolla...s13 subframes and short corolla wheel base.... see how it drifts on a fast course, any feedback??

redrumracer
03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
ohhh, when someone asked the width you said "not that wide" then compared it to your arms...I got it now.

Like anyone knows how wide your arms extend, lol :slap:
you just wanted to use that smiley