PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Nissan Skyline GT-R Proposal Rough Draft. Have any suggestions???

DoriDori
03-25-2008, 09:55 AM
So bascially I know a guy who has a love for exotic cars and has the funds to purchase them. When I mentioned to him importing a Skyline GT-R, he had never heard of them. So I'm creating a proposal of why he should import/purshcase one. If you could proofread that would be great, and if you have any suggestions or something to add, that would be better. The large spaces in the paper are images, they did not copy over from microsoft word. I also made a DVD with clips of GTRs from youtube to give him. Thanks in advance!

*Just keep it legit and I'm trying to keep the paper in "lamens" terms for him, hes not car savy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Import a Nissan Skyline???

Since the debut of the Nissan Skyline in the late 1950s, the company has offered the sports car in several trim lines, engine options, and even offered the car in a sedan version. So there were many different generations and variations of the Skyline available, but the most recognized and prized models have been the last three generations of the Nissan Skyline since 1989 in the GT-R trim level. Below is the three most recent generations:

The GT-R Production from 1989-1993 (referred to its chassis code as R32 model)

The GT-R produced from 1993-1998 (Referred to as R33 model)

The GT-R produced from 1998-2003 (referred to as R34 model)

Nissan has targeted Porsche’s 959 with the GT-R and succeded at offering the super sports enthuthiest crowd more performance at a more affordable price. The GT-R will take down Porsche’s finest in stock trim, and with minor aftermarket tuning it has been giving the title of the “Worlds fastest Street Car”, outrunning exotics quadruple in price all over the world.
The GT-R dominated virtually every race it was in at its debut in 1989 winning 29/29 Japan Touring races, and 50/50 races in the N1 Super Taikyu. Producing has stopped for the Skyline GT-R (the R35 model will be released late this year), but it still dominates the super car scene world wide.
As far as engine specifications, in a nutshell, all recent GT-Rs came with 2.6 liter inline six cylinder motor with dual over head camshafts, twin turbochargers, and independent throttle bodies. The engine code for GT-Rs is RB26DETT. Because of Japans “Gentleman’s Agreement” horsepower laws keeping power output below 280hp, Nissan advertised the car making 280 horsepower, but the motor actually made about 320hp.

“It is often possible to produce 600hp without modification of the engine internals. With extreme modification, the RB26 motor is capable of power in excess of 1 megawatt (or over 1,340 hp).”

The drivetrain is an AWD transmission controlled by an electronic clutch pack, with AWD steering called “super HICAS”, offered with 5 and 6 speed manual transmissions.
As far as asthetics, I can let the body lines of the car speak for itself. At this level of japanese sports cars, the GT-R was put thru extensive wind tunnel testing to maximize its aerodynamic effiecency, lowering drag as much as possible. The Beauty of the car is most well represented in the R34 model, which also happens to be the most recognized and popular year. This brings me to say I would recommend purchasing the R34 model for a number of reasons: latest model available, wide market for parts, wide market for tuning and matenince, most popular (it will catch a TON of attention in the U.S.), its basically an icon for the top of the line, pure bred super car. Plus the car is only available in Right Hand Drive, although there are some tuning shops who have succesfully crafter Left hand Drive GT-Rs. The problem is the motors turbines and exhuast is routed where normally a Left Hand Drives steering column would be. BUT it can be done. I feel doing so would take away from the experience and true authentic driving feel of the car. Also the selection of aftermarket parts is endless and very select. The ability to customize the vehicles is very high.
Importing Japanese vehicles is pricey and can be time consuming, that’s the reason GT-Rs are very rare to see stateside. The process of buying a VIN number for a JDM(japanese domestic Market) car can take some patience.
There are many Pros for owning a GT-R, many more than stated, but I honestly cant think of two many Cons. The only complaint I have heard for stateside owners, is that it can be annoying driving a right hand drive car on left hand drive roads. There are some unexpected blind spots, and most drive thrus don’t compliment drivers being on the opposite side of the car.
Below are some quotes:

The chart is just to get an idea, it is a couple years old so I disagree with the final price. I would expect about an average of $55,000 for a R34 GT-R, or about $70,000 for a R34 GT-R already imported and registered in the U.S. from a private seller. Most GT-Rs can be found in stock form without aftermarket parts installed from the previous owner.

A few examples found on 3/24/2008 @modifiedcartrader.com:

Mileage 35000 Miles
Price $77,000

Mileage 52000 Miles
Price $75,000

Mileage 28272 Miles
Price $70,000

Sources:
-wikipedia.org
-motorex.com
-various Japanese Tuning magazines
-modifiedcartrader.com
- my own knowledge
-youtube.com

*Video of the GT-Rs on the DVD, featuring the Mines R34 (fastest street car).

DieselNuts
03-25-2008, 09:57 AM
no need to import one, they are in the US already...

DoriDori
03-25-2008, 10:02 AM
no need to import one, they are in the US already...

Of Course, but this guy has NO budget, so I'm thinking big. Maybe dealing with some big names like Tomie, Endless, TopSecret, Border, Waste, Etc

man
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Buy a 911 turbo

R32Dragon
03-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Tell him to buy mine, and pop a built RB26 in there!

DoriDori
03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Buy a 911 turbo

I dont think he wants one, he knows porsches and would already owned one. He has a lambo murcialgo, bently, and 07 s500 as far as i know.

speedminded
03-25-2008, 05:08 PM
*Just keep it legit and I'm trying to keep the paper in "lamens" terms for him, hes not car savy.

I dont think he wants one, he knows porsches and would already owned one. He has a lambo murcialgo, bently, and 07 s500 as far as i know.lolol, poor guy needs to stay the hell away from cars.

nreggie454
03-25-2008, 05:16 PM
IMO it isn't worth it to import a GTR even if you have the money. You can get a better car for the same money with exponentially less hassle of importing/registering/whatever.

The only plus to RHD is that JDM fanboys will like it. Outside of that, you have to deal with the inconvenience of paying at toll booths, most fast food places, and also getting used to driving on the other side of the car. Parts are harder to come by and not many American shops are experienced with GTRs.

+1 on the 911 Turbo vote. Better car and much sexier IMO.

fivex684
03-25-2008, 07:28 PM
2008 GTR. http://www.brokerprosllc.com/catalog/item/3235526/5576761.htm

Thighs
03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
ummmmm

why are you trying to convince someone else to buy a skyline?

DoriDori
03-25-2008, 11:23 PM
IMO it isn't worth it to import a GTR even if you have the money. You can get a better car for the same money with exponentially less hassle of importing/registering/whatever.

The only plus to RHD is that JDM fanboys will like it. Outside of that, you have to deal with the inconvenience of paying at toll booths, most fast food places, and also getting used to driving on the other side of the car. Parts are harder to come by and not many American shops are experienced with GTRs.

+1 on the 911 Turbo vote. Better car and much sexier IMO.

Guys, think of an R34 as just adding another car to a collection, thats what it will be like for him. As far as the 911 and R35 go, anyone with money can get one and drive one, you have to put effort into getting something rare like a nice late model GTR. I wanted my freind John to have something to play with that has insane potential, so a R34 GTR/mspec/vspec/ztune and a unlimited budget fits the bill. I think he would have a blast driving it, the paper literally took 15 minutes to type, its the least i could do.

He alrighty has his german fix with the lamborgini! Thats why a 911 would be boring!

And he is a customer i see everyday and chat with about cars, he mentioned he has never heard of a skyline, i told him it would be a cool car for him to own, he wanted to know why so i told him id give him a proposal, and maybe he will consider it.

Anyone have anything to add to the paper?

Thighs
03-25-2008, 11:29 PM
BTW motorex doesnt exist anymore... guess you missed the memo

disrupt
03-26-2008, 03:01 AM
He alrighty has his german fix with the lamborgini! Thats why a 911 would be boring!

fascinating

yerrow
03-26-2008, 05:46 AM
the lamborghini is made out of vw/audi parts bin
so its kinda right in a wrong way

DoriDori
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
BTW motorex doesnt exist anymore... guess you missed the memo

Read about it, owner was in jail, but website is still up

Joelow30071
03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
once you buy a skyline you never go back :D

.93lude
03-28-2008, 09:01 AM
once you buy a skyline you never go back :D

o rly

Elbow
03-28-2008, 09:04 AM
This is so dumb, you want another guy to buy a car?

Yeah Porsche > ANY Skyline all day long

On_Her_Face
03-28-2008, 09:18 AM
I dont think he wants one, he knows porsches and would already owned one. He has a lambo murcialgo, bently, and 07 s500 as far as i know.

Sounds like he does have a budget for a guy who loves exotics

speedminded
03-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Read about it, owner was in jail, but website is still upAny idea why? The R34 is NOT legal in the US other than on a temporary visa. Motorex purchased R33 crash data from a shop in Wisconsin and imported the R32, R33, and R34's using that crash data saying it was the same exact car. A federal crime. Plus several of the R34's they "imported" into the US were reported as stolen in Japan. They had just started investigating the car issue when he went to jail for charges of kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon...

http://tyndago.googlepages.com/motorexstory

Jecht
03-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Any idea why? The R34 is NOT legal in the US other than on a temporary visa. Motorex purchased R33 crash data from a shop in Wisconsin and imported the R32, R33, and R34's using that crash data saying it was the same exact car. A federal crime. Plus several of the R34's they "imported" into the US were reported as stolen in Japan. They had just started investigating the car issue when he went to jail for charges of kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon...

http://tyndago.googlepages.com/motorexstory

Thats why you can't import R34s or R32s into the U.S., only R33s of certain years. If you want to legally import an R34 or R32, you would have to purchase several of them to do crash testing before you can have even one of them on the road legally. It isn't a cheap or cost-effective way to do it.

Or you can be like a certain R34 owner and swap the VIN # out with one from a 300zx. :rolleyes:

HalfBaked
03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
You're an idiot.

This thread is so idiotic.

Sounds you have some legit sources...

Your own knowledge, youtube, and random japanese magazines.

fivex684
03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Thats why you can't import R34s or R32s into the U.S., only R33s of certain years. If you want to legally import an R34 or R32, you would have to purchase several of them to do crash testing before you can have even one of them on the road legally. It isn't a cheap or cost-effective way to do it.

You will also need to make an ob2 system for the 96 and up cars.

Jecht
03-28-2008, 03:08 PM
You will also need to make an ob2 system for the 96 and up cars.

I'm not surprised. I don't remember all the requirements b/c I've never cared. I have an old magazine that has an entire article on what you have to do to import cars legally. I just thought I would discourage him from hyping this rich guy up to try and buy one. :lmao:

Demsum
03-29-2008, 01:46 AM
2008 GTR. http://www.brokerprosllc.com/catalog/item/3235526/5576761.htm

Thats what I was thinking. By the time you convince this guy to buy one, your local Nissan dealer will have the R35 in the showroom. Importing an inferior model would be a dumb move.

RandomGuy
03-29-2008, 01:53 AM
LMFAO at this fanboy

why do you want him to get a skyline so bad anyways lol

Broker Pros
04-09-2008, 02:01 PM
PM Sent.

seanrg1116
04-10-2008, 09:26 AM
If you want this friend of yours to have something that will get him noticed for being rare and fast as hell try something a little more exotic like this..........

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/editorial_images/non_imported/Atom_500_V8.jpg
ariel atom 500 only a few made and hard to come by
or this
http://www.realismpictures.com/drupal/files/koenigsegg.jpg
rare fast and hard to spell koenigsegg

or this
http://www.zercustoms.com/car-show/albums/userpics/10001/2000-TVR-Cerbera-Speed-12-2.jpg
only one in the world changes hands every couple years and under a 1/2 a mil
the one and only speed 12

and before i get any negative comments, i love all thing automotive and the rb26 powered skylines with the attesa all wheel drive systems are some of my favorite record setting cars. But if had money to where price was no object i would get something that i would never see a double of.

IDCoconut
04-10-2008, 11:38 PM
He alrighty has his german fix with the lamborgini!

I still can't get over this statement.

the lamborghini is made out of vw/audi parts bin
so its kinda right in a wrong way

So with this statement, it's safe to say that Buick has a hand in developing the Corvette. :thinking: