PDA

View Full Version : Importing cars from japan legally???

Mr. Clean
03-21-2008, 06:09 PM
how do you do it!!?? i

i found a pimped out gangster RHD EK in japan. so i was wondering how you get imported cars with no airbags and all that jazz into the US and registered legally. im not really worried about getting here its just getting it off the boat and registered that i want to know about.

and it doesnt have to be squeaky clean... i think i've heard of people switching vins for a salvage car of the same model... would that work? or any other tips or tricks

any input would be awesome.!

Mr. Clean
03-21-2008, 08:52 PM
so i guess theres no import experts on tonight?

Whiteboy™
03-21-2008, 09:05 PM
you can import it as a race car (you will have to get someone in japan to put in a roll cage), then switch all the vins from a usdm civic over

Mr. Clean
03-21-2008, 09:10 PM
hmmmmm... an automatic 96 base model EK racecar with full roll cage...

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/Revolos55/Macros/GuinnessBrilliant.jpg

Whiteboy™
03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
well, it's one way to do it, bite me

Mr. Clean
03-21-2008, 09:18 PM
haha i wasnt hatin'... it would be crazy. i'd have to get them to put some cuzco in it or something... it would make me have to build it haha

not to mention it would continue in its pure japanese heritage if it was worked on by japs...

cpearson
03-21-2008, 09:25 PM
bump for this thread; I've been trying to do some research too...I've found a 99 Civic Type R for 1 million yen (about 8500 US dollars) and would LOVE to know if anyone has ever imported a car?

dorin48
03-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Well for starters I know you cant register it in GA. GA simply lacks any individuals who know how the procedure works and any literature to enlighten anyone. I know FL and SC are very up to date and helpful.

Mr. Clean
03-22-2008, 07:11 AM
i may try and make a honda-tech thread today

NAIZBST
03-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Well for starters I know you cant register it in GA. GA simply lacks any individuals who know how the procedure works and any literature to enlighten anyone. I know FL and SC are very up to date and helpful.

:werd:

NAIZBST
03-22-2008, 08:23 AM
plus it will cost a good amount to get it registered and legalized here. you will need customs paperwork, deregistration paperwork from japan. and get everything inspected.

speedminded
03-22-2008, 08:38 AM
how do you do it!!?? i

i found a pimped out gangster RHD EK in japan. so i was wondering how you get imported cars with no airbags and all that jazz into the US and registered legally. im not really worried about getting here its just getting it off the boat and registered that i want to know about.

and it doesnt have to be squeaky clean... i think i've heard of people switching vins for a salvage car of the same model... would that work? or any other tips or tricks

any input would be awesome.!See the button at the top that says S...e...a...r...c...h ?

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2115663

Try it sometime! :goodjob:

Mr. Clean
03-22-2008, 08:43 AM
you know... i didnt even think about it.

usually when you type something in it gives some random BS that has nothing to do with what you want but that was a very beneficial search...

thank you sir.

NAIZBST
03-22-2008, 08:57 AM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133473&highlight=importing

speedminded
03-22-2008, 09:06 AM
you know... i didnt even think about it.

usually when you type something in it gives some random BS that has nothing to do with what you want but that was a very beneficial search...

thank you sir.The subjects been beaten to death on here for years and only about 1% of the members actually know what is involved.

Some importing laws changed in December:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

IMPORTING CARS - THE DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS
You will need the carrier’s original bill of lading for Customs clearance in addition to the foreign registration, bill of sale and all other documentation about the vehicle. You will also need to complete DOT form HS-7 and EPA form 3520-1 declaring the safety and emissions provisions under which the motor vehicle is being imported. To meet all U.S.A. emission requirements, a motor vehicles engine compartment must bear a manufacturer’s label, in English, that attests to this fact. The port of entry Customs inspector may require proof of eligibility if the vehicle does not have this label.

Unless a vehicle is eligible for exclusion or exemption, all vehicles that do not meet USA emission requirements must be imported using an independent commercial importer (ICI). Until all ICI work is completed, the EPA will not allow release a vehicle to it's owner. The ICI is responsible for meeting all EPA requirements and performing all required EPA modifications. ICI's costs can be very high and it should be understood that ICI's cannot import and/or modify some vehicles cannot be successfully imported or modified.

Tag and driver's license requirement are another matter you should inquire about when making your arrangements.

THE UNDERCARRIAGE NEEDS CLEANED
The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture requires that imported cars have their undercarriage cleaned so they do not have any foreign soil to help guard against the possible importation of dangerous pests. You should contract to have your car thoroughly cleaned and/or steam-sprayed before it ships.

DUTIES MUST BE PAID UPON ENTRY
Used or new and either for resale or personal use, a foreign manufactured vehicle imported into the U.S.A. generally requires duties be paid at the following rates (subject to change):

Auto - 2.5%

Trucks - 25%

Motorcycles - either free or 2.4%

Duties are based on the vehicle price you paid or which is payable. Most Canadian manufactured vehicles may enter free of duties. Returning USA residents may apply their $400 Customs exemption along with any accompanying family members exemption toward the value of their vehicle if:

* Vehicle accompanies you on your return trip.
* The vehicle is being imported for your personal use.
* You acquired the vehicle on the journey you are returning from.

For Customs requirement, a returning USA resident is one who is returning from study, work or travel abroad. After the initial exemption is applied, a flat duty of 10% is given toward the vehicles next $1,000 of value. The regular duty rate is then applied to the remaining value.

FREE ENTRY
- GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES AND U.S. CITIZENS employed abroad and who are returning on voluntary leave or TDY may import a foreign manufactured vehicle free of duties provided they claim nonresident status, enter the U.S. for a short visit and export the vehicle upon leaving.

-MILITARY AND U.S. GOVERNMENT CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES returning from extended duty outside the Customs territory may include a vehicle that conforms to all requirements among their household and personal effects duty free. The vehicle must have been purchased outside the USA and must be in the owner’s possession before departure. Extended duty generally means 140 days or more. Personnel aboard a U.S. naval vessel or who support a naval vessel on its departure from the USA to its return with an intended 120 day or more overseas deployment are entitled to this extended-duty exemption. If you sell the conforming vehicle within one year of importation you will be required to pay duties on it. You must pay duties at the Customs office most convenient to you before you complete the sale. Once formal entry is made for the EPA, a conforming vehicle so imported may indefinitely stay in the U.S..

-NONRESIDENTS may import a duty-free vehicle for personal use for up to (1) one year if it is imported in concurrence with the owner’s arrival. Under this provision, a vehicle that is imported and which does not conform to U.S. emission and safety standards may not be sold in the USA and must be exported within one year. These export requirement have no extension or exemption.

OTHER REASONS FOR IMPORTING CARS
You may import an auto or motorcycle duty free along with its usual equipment for a temporary stay to take part in a race or other specific contest. The EPA must issue prior written approval that grants only racing vehicles the EPA deems non-capable of practical highway or safe use.

If the contest is not for a money prize, a vehicle may be granted a 90 day entry without formal bond if the Customs officer is confident about the importer’s good faith and identity. The vehicle may be forfeited if a bond is a bond is not given or it is not exported within 90 days of its importation. DOT must issue prior written approval.

Vehicles may be temporarily imported for racing, demonstration or testing purposes. Vehicles may also be permanently imported for display or show. DOT written approval must be obtained prior to the vehicle being exported from a foreign country to the United States.

Car importing information for a display or show vehicle is available at the DOT NHTSA Importing Cars web site. A display or show vehicle that is permanently imported must still comply with all USA emission requirements and be imported through an ICI authorized by the EPA. ICI work must be finished before the EPA will allow a vehicle's release to its owner.

FEDERAL TAXES
Internal Revenue Code section 4064 imposes a "gas-guzzler" tax on certain imported automobiles. Anyone importing cars, whether a commercial importer, or for personal use, may be liable for payment of this tax because for purposes of this tax they are considered an importer.

The tax amount is based on a combined highway/urban fuel-economy (miles per gallon) rating that is provided by the EPA. The manufacturer's fuel-economy ratings may differ from the rating assigned by the EPA. No tax is levied on vehicle having a 22.5 miles per gallon or higher combined fuel-economy rating.

The gas-guzzler tax is reported on form 6197, Gas-Guzzler Tax and on the Quarterly federal Excise Tax Return, Form 720. Local Internal Revenue Service district offices may also provide you with additional information.

STANDARDS FOR EMISSION
The following motorcycles, heavy-duty engines, light-duty trucks and passenger cars are subject to federal emission standards:

* Light-duty trucks and gasoline-fueled cars manufactured after December 31, 1967.
* Cars that are diesel-fueled and manufactured after December 31, 1974.
* Light-duty trucks that are diesel-fueled and manufactured after December 31, 1975.
* Heavy-duty engines manufactured after December 31, 1969.
* Motorcycles having a displacement 49 or more cubic centimeters and manufactured after December 31, 1977.

Manufacturers must certify their vehicles to U.S. federal emission standards and if they are not, the vehicle is considered nonconforming and may not be sold in the U.S.. You must have a currently certified ICI import a nonconforming vehicle for you. The EPA maintains a list of current ICI's which is available upon request. EPA-authorized ICIs are located only in the U.S.. Before making your decision to import a nonconforming vehicle, it is highly recommended that you contact an ICI to discuss testing and modification costs. Making sure the car you want to import complies with "all" USA emission standards is the responsibility of the ICI. (Effective July 1, 1998, vehicles five model-years old or older were no longer eligible for the one-time exemption). Also important to note is that if an ICI will not be responsible for the vehicle(s) in question, the EPA will deny entry for certain model years, models and makers.

Federal government emission requirement often differ from Individual state requirements. Therefore, you should contact the appropriate state offices before you begin importing cars to learn the correct registration requirements for your vehicle. Understand, however, that meeting state’s emission requirements does not mean you are meeting EPA's requirements which means your vehicle would still be nonconforming according to the EPA.

Additional information on ICI's and/or emission control requirements is available from the US EPA Vehicle Programs and Compliance Division/Imports at tel. (202) 564-9660.

http://www.importexporthelp.com/importing-cars.htm

Frög
03-22-2008, 09:26 AM
how do you do it!!?? i

any input would be awesome.!

repost.. lol

bigdom
03-23-2008, 05:03 PM
where did you find that car from? i would like to look at some cars

speedminded
03-24-2008, 09:01 AM
where did you find that car from? i would like to look at some carsThe internet, try it sometime!

NAIZBST
03-24-2008, 09:54 AM
:werd:

DaRussian
03-24-2008, 11:14 PM
ive heard that if u want to legalize a car here in US u would have to change a bunch of stuff like headlights, windshield, would have to get the metal bar put into the doors and some other crap, dont know how true it is...

95alty
03-25-2008, 12:08 AM
PLEAESE LISTEN!!!

Speaking from experience... I lived in Japan for 3 years. I had a car i fell in love with over there (r32 skyline) and wanted to ship it back... I payed 1500 for the car... the port said hey no problem it will be 3k to ship... but us customs claims there are other stuff such as glass, bumpers, and internal parts that need to be changed out... if you really want the car... pay someone to take the engine out and ship the engine and the frame separetly... they can classify it as parts and your customs taxes will be soooo much cheaper... or you can do like me and join the military... pay 10k and get any japanese car imported for you

Mr. Clean
03-25-2008, 06:17 AM
yeah im really not wanting to get this car anymore haha...

a lot of people have been saying what whiteboy said about gutting it and making it a "racecar" and then shipping the interior back seperately

speedminded
03-25-2008, 08:56 AM
yeah im really not wanting to get this car anymore haha...

a lot of people have been saying what whiteboy said about gutting it and making it a "racecar" and then shipping the interior back seperatelyAnd you think you can register and tag a "racecar" when it gets to your house? Then what do you do in 90 days or a year when the bond is up and the car has to be exported?

Mr. Clean
03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
haha... i know i know... im leaning toward getting a car thats not from japan... its been made too difficult and costly for my budget

bigdom
03-25-2008, 03:32 PM
The internet, try it sometime!
haha i was seeing if there was a website he went to or something

bafbrian
03-25-2008, 03:33 PM
you can import it as a race car (you will have to get someone in japan to put in a roll cage), then switch all the vins from a usdm civic over

You can do this, if you want to go to jail. Switching vin #'s is illegal.

Have you tried talking to rupertaker ? I seems to be the person to imported cars around here.

Footefan52
03-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Most places that sell used cars in japan will not ship to a person. I have spoken with a few dealers over there and they all say the same thing. They have to ship the car to a licensed importer and they have to perform the required modifications. He said that it would probably cost around 9k extra.

Moral of the story.... your piece of **** civic that you "paid" 3k for will wind up cosing you 20k when it is all said and done with shipping costs, import costs, export costs, deregistration and emission mods.

Have fun with that

speedminded
03-25-2008, 04:58 PM
haha i was seeing if there was a website he went to or somethingYeah, there are HUNDREDS of Japanese auto exporters and they all have websites...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Japanese+Auto+exporter

www.batfa.com/
www.ridhaa.com/
www.japan-partner.com/

zoborax
03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
It's just not worth doing it yourself. If you know someone who can do the footwork smuggling the thing into the country, then you might have a chance. Quite honestly, most people in this business are not going to import anything but Skylines, S15s, MKIVs, FD3Ss, etc. It's just too risky, and the profit margin for the "lesser" vehicles are not worth the risk. You can always try, but it sure would suck to have the thing seized. God bless this great land of "freedom!"

speedminded
03-26-2008, 08:55 AM
It's just not worth doing it yourself. If you know someone who can do the footwork smuggling the thing into the country, then you might have a chance. Quite honestly, most people in this business are not going to import anything but Skylines, S15s, MKIVs, FD3Ss, etc. It's just too risky, and the profit margin for the "lesser" vehicles are not worth the risk. You can always try, but it sure would suck to have the thing seized. God bless this great land of "freedom!"lol @ smuggling. You can legally bring anything you want in as long as you follow the procedures for it to meet the EPA, NHTSA, & DOT specifications. Try going to any other country in the world and see how much "freedom" you have with a vehicle.

Uptown401
03-26-2008, 02:12 PM
it wasn't so hard for my cousin when he purchased a Evo 5 GSR from japan. He found a site where you buy cars from japan and they made sure all information you needed to register the car in the states were there, meaning going through U.S regulations for car passing emissions, really all the full details of purchasing a imported car to the states. I'll ask him about that more.

01CDMLUDER
03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
i meet this guy not too long ago at a meet with a rhd rx7. he imported cars from japan and then sells them here. he was selling the rx7 for like 30 grand! it would be cheaper to import the parts and put the car together. not worth it imo!

zoborax
03-29-2008, 08:43 AM
If you try to comply with the powers that be (NHTSA and US EPA or even worse CARB), then you will be spending way more money than the car is worth to get it compliant. Because the car is RHD, the NHTSA most likely will not consider it substantially similar to a USDM product, therefore requiring destructive testing to prove that the vehicle complies with all applicable FMVSS on the date of manufacture. That means you would probably have to crash test 3-4 cars to prove worthiness of saftey per FMVSS 208 (occupant crash protection). That is exactly what JK Motors did for Motorex with the Skyline. It's all posted on the docket management system at www.regulations.gov. You can search for it there. It's 200+ pages.

Here is a link to some CFR mumbo jumbo that might help you out in your case, in which you could possibly argue that the car is substantially similar to a USDM vehicle.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/octqtr/pdf/49cfr593.5.pdf

Actually most South American countries, Canada, UK and Australia (though they're cracking down), African, Caribbean countries have much more lax vehicle importation laws than we do.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

Mr. Clean
03-29-2008, 10:15 AM
so basically this EK is really just not worth the time and money that would going into it because its such a simple vehicle...

Footefan52
03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
so basically this EK is really just not worth the time and money that would going into it because its such a simple vehicle...

Yes

Ruststang
03-30-2008, 05:56 PM
What if the car allready has it import eligibility number? for example a 95 rx-7 then what would be the hassle with importing it?

Mr. Clean
03-30-2008, 06:23 PM
i dont think a RHD EK is a commonly imported vehicle, plus all the safey modifications i would have to make would just be unreasonable

SouthSide Tay
03-31-2008, 10:19 PM
man just import a FD and be down with it then you could have a RHD FD with a LS1 swap thats worth 27k ike the one guy in and forsale section. lol

TIGERJC
03-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Bring it in as a kit car

RealRHDSil80
04-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Just buy one that has already been imported here search the forums there are a number of RHD cars available in the USA it's how i got my 180SX with a silvia front and 320whp for 7500 I actually found it on this site thank you IA :D

Type-R
04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
i dont think a RHD EK is a commonly imported vehicle, plus all the safey modifications i would have to make would just be unreasonable

If you are serious about purchasing a car I can help you, but it's not cheap and there's of course several things you need to be aware of before committing. PM me for more info.

Type-R
04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
PLEAESE LISTEN!!!

Speaking from experience... I lived in Japan for 3 years. I had a car i fell in love with over there (r32 skyline) and wanted to ship it back... I payed 1500 for the car... the port said hey no problem it will be 3k to ship... but us customs claims there are other stuff such as glass, bumpers, and internal parts that need to be changed out... if you really want the car... pay someone to take the engine out and ship the engine and the frame separetly... they can classify it as parts and your customs taxes will be soooo much cheaper... or you can do like me and join the military... pay 10k and get any japanese car imported for you

:D