PDA

View Full Version : Lane splitting - should it be legal?

EJ25RUN
03-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Here is the Autoblog link. (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/21/lane-splitting-should-it-be-legal/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/03/lane_splitting.jpg

"""There is a nice discussion going on over at AutoblogGreen regarding the act of lane splitting, which is when a motorcycle rides the dotted line in-between lanes. Lane splitting is a common practice in much of Europe, but here in the States it's only legal in California. Golden State law dictates that a motorcycle is only allowed to split lanes when traffic is moving very slowly or stopped and "must be done in a safe and prudent manner." NBC San Diego ran a little news piece on lane splitting and found that some drivers in California weren't even aware that it was legal, and others dislike the practice.

According to the video, the practice of lane splitting was initially allowed for safety reasons, and while many doubt that the practice is safe, data suggests that lane splitting reduces rear-end collisions involving motorcycles. So, what do you think? Is lane splitting a good idea? If so, should it be made legal in all s
States?"""

NAIZBST
03-21-2008, 08:43 AM
no cuz there are many times I just want to open my door and a bike splits lanes next to me. I do own a bike but would never do that

GIXXERDK
03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
It does save a lot of time, I like the idea of lane splitting if only drivers were aware. I do it every once in a while. Of course assholes like NAIZBST wouldnt give a **** about causing bodily harm/death.

Cool Cat Racing
03-21-2008, 10:16 AM
When I was in Cali it was great. When all the cars are stuck in traffic I could just keep moving. The cops give you about 15-20mph faster than the cars before they get pissed. I didn't realize it really was legal till I was in traffic and a CHP cop came by with about 3 others behind him so I just slotted in and rode out. Out there many of the cars actually moved over in the lane if they saw a bike coming to give you more room. Not like the assholes around here that would try to block you in just because they have to wait in line. I do occasionally split cars on the highway without traffic but I'm careful about when I do. Too many people just cruise next to the car next to them and won't give up the passing lane.

tron
03-21-2008, 10:24 AM
When I was in Cali it was great. When all the cars are stuck in traffic I could just keep moving. The cops give you about 15-20mph faster than the cars before they get pissed. I didn't realize it really was legal till I was in traffic and a CHP cop came by with about 3 others behind him so I just slotted in and rode out. Out there many of the cars actually moved over in the lane if they saw a bike coming to give you more room. Not like the assholes around here that would try to block you in just because they have to wait in line. I do occasionally split cars on the highway without traffic but I'm careful about when I do. Too many people just cruise next to the car next to them and won't give up the passing lane.

man that pisses me off sry for being...:offtopic:
but i just hate that. its like they just want to slow up traffic:2up:

end mini rant!

if lane splitting reduces rear end collisions then i say make it legal.

EJ25RUN
03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
man that pisses me off sry for being...:offtopic:
but i just hate that. its like they just want to slow up traffic:2up:

end mini rant!

if lane splitting reduces rear end collisions then i say make it legal.

People around here irritate me... That's why i miss having a painfully load. If they try to pull that stuff, i used to be able to floor it and for a brief second, they'd go deaf and be all clueless like. Then i would drive into the lane i need.

Jecht
03-21-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't have a problem with it, several of my friends with bikes do it here in GA in the typical Atlanta traffic jams. Out in Cali., they get crazy about it sometimes going 30+mph faster than the traffic.

ueyedgr8tness
03-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't have a problem with it, several of my friends with bikes do it here in GA in the typical Atlanta traffic jams. Out in Cali., they get crazy about it sometimes going 30+mph faster than the traffic.

that would be me sr..I love the idea because i do it anyway.And on a high traffic day when cars are sitting still on 316 and it is like 90f out side and i am sweating my balls off on the bike.Of course i am going right down or between thoes mofo's untill it clears up:yes:

Tarzanman
03-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Even though it sounds like a good idea on paper, but in practice it would probably cause more problems that it solved... mainly due the lack of bikes on the road here.

This isn't California where you will see at least half-a-dozen motorcycles every time you drive somewhere on the roads. CA drivers are accustomed to motorcycles... GA ones aren't. This makes lane splitting more dangerous and less of and advantage to traffic in general (as far as alleviating some of the traffic on the roads).

I think that GA drivers would rage on bikers that did this. Especially some of the upper middle class 'entitled' bung-holes that cruise around in their gas-guzzling, $90,000 soccer-mom-mobiles

markopolo311
03-22-2008, 12:17 AM
I dunno, I think that if it were legal, motorcycles would be more prevalent to the public in general. People miss motorcyclists all the time just because they aren't thinking bout how a bike might be there instead of a car, but If you're sitting still and traffic and a few buzz by you, you just might remember to look for one the next day.

my :2cents: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=73#)

brittoknee
06-01-2008, 12:07 AM
for it.... ofcourse with common sense and caution :thumbup:

InEeDaKaR
06-01-2008, 01:52 AM
i do it sometimes when im in a hurry...ill jzt by pass it...once ive done it cuz i was about to be late fo work, and i went by a cop...he flipped on his lightz, but it was n traffic, and i styll didnt get ma tag yet....

i mean u sometimes u gotta do it...like someone sed earlier..its hot out there sometime especially here in ATL...i just needa go whur im going

waterbrat53
06-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Hey I do it when stuck in afternoon traffic. However I have found out two things - Most cagers get really ticked off and you can get into an accident if you are not careful.

Grimm Reeper
06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
I concur, but while exercising caution :goodjob:

Jaimecbr900
06-02-2008, 02:23 AM
In other countries where this is allowed, there are no big problems with it. Actually it should be one of the advantages of riding a bike. Sitting in traffic like every other car bites. I've done it, but I would like to do it more often IF I knew it was legal for sure.

If you ask LEO's, they say it's not. If you look up the law, there is nothing specifically forbidding it (as far as I've seen). So really this would be a cool thing to have brought to the limelight to get a final answer, although with all the fatality accidents we've had around here lately.....dunno if it would fly with the tree huggers.