PDA

View Full Version : Piston rings change..

j0nbunklah0m
03-19-2008, 10:12 PM
so my car is smoking bluish colored smoke.. and many people are saying its the piston rings.. how much should it cost to put in new piston rings(parts and labor).. and should i save up a lil more to upgrade anything else while the head is off?

j0nbunklah0m
03-20-2008, 12:35 PM
ttt

Dietcoke
03-20-2008, 01:07 PM
might as well freshen up the block if you're going to rering it. New bearings/polish crank/cam journals, hone cyl walls etc,

j0nbunklah0m
03-20-2008, 01:20 PM
^^ how much more u think that would cost? :\

j0nbunklah0m
03-20-2008, 01:21 PM
i already got a quote for 550$ labor to change rings.. i provide parts

Dietcoke
03-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Not much more then that. The whole bottom end is goin to be apart anyway. Maybe another $100 to 150 max.

j0nbunklah0m
03-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Not much more then that. The whole bottom end is goin to be apart anyway. Maybe another $100 to 150 max.

k, kool thanks for the advice n reps!

G.C
03-20-2008, 02:16 PM
might as well freshen up the block if you're going to rering it. New bearings/polish crank/cam journals, hone cyl walls etc,

My dad's friend told you to do all those anyways. lol.

Dietcoke
03-20-2008, 02:37 PM
One more thing, replace your valve seals as well. They can leak oil, just like rings can cause oil to blowby and cause blue smoke. They're not a block-related item though, they sit inside the valve springs on the head.

j0nbunklah0m
03-20-2008, 07:28 PM
One more thing, replace your valve seals as well. They can leak oil, just like rings can cause oil to blowby and cause blue smoke. They're not a block-related item though, they sit inside the valve springs on the head.

by the time im done my engine's gona be practically brand new lol

81911SC
03-20-2008, 07:32 PM
by the time im done my engine's gona be practically brand new lol
Pretty much.
I agree with teh Saturn guy. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about so I will just concur. :D

hondaxpurt
03-20-2008, 07:46 PM

x2...a compression test will tell you where the oil is getting into the combustion chamber from

SandM
03-20-2008, 08:13 PM
a compression test only tells you what your compression is. a leak test (?) will tell you where it leaks from. since you're tearing apart the entire motor, just re-build all together like everything says.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Might as well replace/upgrade everything in the block since the labor should be the same price to replace and measure the ring and bearing clearances.

Ronsam2006
03-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Damn..so you are gonna go thru all of this? I thought that dude replaced all of the seals?

j0nbunklah0m
03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Damn..so you are gonna go thru all of this? I thought that dude replaced all of the seals?

yea i kno... wtf.. bull****ted me or sumin... well i wont call em out... but tahts pretty ****ed up... imma get it checked out by the end of this week

chip P.
03-23-2008, 08:19 PM
before u go tear down the engine id check to see if u really do need rings. maybe u just hav too much oil, or a bad PCV valve. is there oil around the intake manifold? or on the end of your spark plugs?

j0nbunklah0m
03-23-2008, 08:35 PM
^^ imma get a leak down test and compression test i think.. no i dont see any oil around intake mani or spark plugs

chip P.
03-23-2008, 08:52 PM
ok kol, well make sure if u do tht comp test u might want to repeat it a few times because if there is oil in the cyl. it can seal up any gaps you have in there and give u a faulty reading...welll...i guess..if u hav low readings consistantly u should do a WET comp test. and if the numbers go up to normal or closer to it then ull know if the rings
^^ imma get a leak down test and compression test i think.. no i dont see any oil around intake mani or spark plugs

EmminoDaGreat
03-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Most people who just replace rings, wont take apart the whole motor, unless you pay for it to be. You dont have to take the crank out and all that jazz, just pull the head and drop the pan.... if it is constantly smoking at idle, and driving it is most likely rings, valve stem seals will only smoke on decel, or when the engine produces a lot of vacuum, or if it sits for a while idling and you take off, it will usually puff smoke.

j0nbunklah0m
03-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Most people who just replace rings, wont take apart the whole motor, unless you pay for it to be. You dont have to take the crank out and all that jazz, just pull the head and drop the pan.... if it is constantly smoking at idle, and driving it is most likely rings, valve stem seals will only smoke on decel, or when the engine produces a lot of vacuum, or if it sits for a while idling and you take off, it will usually puff smoke.

yea it constantly smokes at idle and smokes ALOT at around 4-5 rpm. Pm me a price if u could do the piston rings emmino:goodjob:

mitch lab
03-24-2008, 06:35 AM
wait....you have to take apart the motor to replace your piston rings. This is a basic rebuild, might as well replace all your bearings and seals.