PDA

View Full Version : HDR Pics

mushroom_toy
03-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Ok so ive been trying to do some HDR pics through GImp and ive tried a few tutorials and also HDRshop and cant get the pics to come out right. Anyone have any good tutorials for creating an HDR image with GIMP. btw im using pics taken at 2ev, normal, and -2ev.

Nemesis
03-18-2008, 02:05 PM
G

O

O

G

L

E

mushroom_toy
03-18-2008, 04:58 PM
^ too bad google doesnt find GOOD tutorials for GIMP.

gtikid
03-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Wouldn't you need a better camera? Not trying to talk trash, but wouldn't you need a better camera to actually make it a true HDR?

mushroom_toy
03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
"The "bright side" is that nearly any camera can actually capture a vast dynamic range-- just not in a single photo. By varying the shutter speed alone, most digital cameras can change how much light they let in by a factor of 50,000 or more. High dynamic range imaging attempts to utilize this characteristic by creating images composed of multiple exposures, which can far surpass the dynamic range of a single exposure."

So technically I should be fine.

gtikid
03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
"Technically" you should, but your camera doesn't seem good enough to take good shots to begin with. You should invest in a camera :goodjob:

mushroom_toy
03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Lol, I took the shots, I dont need help on what camera to buy. If I had the money I would have bought a good camera to begin with. No point in buying a nice ass camera if you cant do or try to do just as good with a point and shoot.

gtikid
03-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Lol, I took the shots, I dont need help on what camera to buy. If I had the money I would have bought a good camera to begin with. No point in buying a nice ass camera if you cant do or try to do just as good with a point and shoot.

You should learn how to photoshop then. But yes a better camera will make a HUUUUUUGE difference in how your "HDR" creation will turn out :camera:

mushroom_toy
03-18-2008, 05:32 PM
You should learn how to photoshop then. But yes a better camera will make a HUUUUUUGE difference in how your "HDR" creation will turn out :camera:

What do you think the GIMP is? GIMP is pretty much free photoshop. I know how to use photoshop, but I dont HAVE photoshop anymore, I use the GIMP.

Look all im looking for is a tutorial or plugin for GIMP not photoshop or cs2 or anything like that. :)

gtikid
03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
What do you think the GIMP is? GIMP is pretty much free photoshop. I know how to use photoshop, but I dont HAVE photoshop anymore, I use the GIMP.

Look all im looking for is a tutorial or plugin for GIMP not photoshop or cs2 or anything like that. :)

The GIMP is an interesting program. I will stick to photoshop though, you can download photoshop from anywhere and everywhere. I would like to see what you can do on photoshop because your pictures never look edited :thinking:

Goodluck with the tutorial man. All I ever do is go to google and it usually pops up tutorials for everything :goodjob:

mushroom_toy
03-18-2008, 06:21 PM
The GIMP is an interesting program. I will stick to photoshop though, you can download photoshop from anywhere and everywhere. I would like to see what you can do on photoshop because your pictures never look edited :thinking:

Goodluck with the tutorial man. All I ever do is go to google and it usually pops up tutorials for everything :goodjob:

Yeah I usually never edit my photos or if I do its just general light correction or resizing. But yeah I gave up on the gimp tutorial im dowloading cs2 as we speak should have it finished in about 20 mins.

green91
03-18-2008, 06:35 PM
GIMP ftw, i use it when im in linux, its so much faster for me. its just hard to learn both programs at the same time

mushroom_toy
03-18-2008, 06:42 PM
GIMP ftw, i use it when im in linux, its so much faster for me. its just hard to learn both programs at the same time

Really though man GIMP has almost the exact same functionality....lacking a few things, and even some of the controls are the same. I've been using it since I lost my last copy of photoshop.

sleepys4
03-19-2008, 02:54 AM
Use photomatrix. Its free and easy. check it out

ryanh300
03-19-2008, 06:33 AM
I learned photo editing on GIMP then i went to PS

PS >>>>>> GIMP

Nemesis
03-19-2008, 07:12 AM
^ too bad google doesnt find GOOD tutorials for GIMP.

Are you retarded or something? I use gimp at work because Im on a linux box all day.

I went to GOOGLE and typed in GIMP HDR, and found this

http://www.instructables.com/id/HDR-photos-with-the-GIMP/

Next time try it yourself idiot.

mushroom_toy
03-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Are you retarded or something? I use gimp at work because Im on a linux box all day.

I went to GOOGLE and typed in GIMP HDR, and found this

http://www.instructables.com/id/HDR-photos-with-the-GIMP/

Next time try it yourself idiot.

Go try the tutorial. It works like ****. I know because everyone I have found for the GIMP doesnt work right at all. Just forget about gimp I downloaded cs2 last night.

speedminded
03-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't you need a better camera? Not trying to talk trash, but wouldn't you need a better camera to actually make it a true HDR?Not trying to trash talk but you are a complete idiot. You can do HDR with any camera in the world. You expose for certain parts of the shot then combine the photos, it doesn't matter what camera is used.

I'll put just about anyone's 3.2 to 6+ megapixel point & shoot against you or just about anyone else with a DSLR. I'll process and post up one I took a few weeks ago with a $125 HP p&s (proving a point to someone)...and I'll challenge you to take one better leaving the EXIF data intact.

Justin.
03-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Not trying to trash talk but you are a complete idiot. You can do HDR with any camera in the world. You expose for certain parts of the shot then combine the photos, it doesn't matter what camera is used.

I'll put just about anyone's 3.2 to 6+ megapixel point & shoot against you or just about anyone else with a DSLR. I'll process and post up one I took a few weeks ago with a $125 HP p&s (proving a point to someone)...and I'll challenge you to take one better leaving the EXIF data intact.

amen, people preach gotta have DSLR to get nice shots...not the case.

but I do use a dlsr..lol :lmfao:

gtikid
03-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Not trying to trash talk but you are a complete idiot. You can do HDR with any camera in the world. You expose for certain parts of the shot then combine the photos, it doesn't matter what camera is used.

Go ahead and prove it then. You can talk the talk, now let's see you walk the walk. I've seen your photography, and it's good shit, but I highly doubt even someone like you can create something like this with just a cheap P&S and 3 pictures.

No excuses, no bullshit, just do it:

http://www.dcmedia.smugmug.com/photos/244497221_MrSd8-L.jpg

speedminded
03-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Go ahead and prove it then. You can talk the talk, now let's see you walk the walk. I've seen your photography, and it's good shit, but I highly doubt even someone like you can create something like this with just a cheap P&S and 3 pictures.

No excuses, no bullshit, just do it:

http://www.dcmedia.smugmug.com/photos/244497221_MrSd8-L.jpglolol, i'm not even going to do an HDR...just one shot. ;)

green91
03-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Most p&s cams dont allow for you to change the exposure time though

Justin.
03-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Most p&s cams dont allow for you to change the exposure time though

What rock have you been living under? Unless you only spend $50 bucks on one, most have settings.

speedminded
03-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Most p&s cams dont allow for you to change the exposure time thoughJust about any p&s made the last few years other than maybe the cheapest Kodak allow manual settings with at least the shutterspeed being adjustable...sometimes the aperture, ISO, etc. too.

green91
03-19-2008, 03:29 PM
My olympus doesnt lol. and it was more than $50.

gtikid
03-19-2008, 04:19 PM
lolol, i'm not even going to do an HDR...just one shot. ;)

Let's see it :goodjob:

Actually, why don't we get a camera equivalent to Mushroom Toys. What kind of camera do you have, Mushroom?

mushroom_toy
03-19-2008, 10:44 PM
My olympus doesnt lol. and it was more than $50.

I only paid $150 for my Sony Cybershot Dsc s90 like 3 years ago and I pretty much have a decent bit of settings.

On another note Ill be posting my test pictures soon. Ill be hopefully taking them tomorrow. I took a couple but the first pictures are aweful, because there of nothing special, just my yard.

I dont know why theyre still pricey, i mean hell i bought mine like 2-3 years ago at best buy.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_s90-review/

mushroom_toy
03-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok here is the first one ive tried. I agree it isnt all that good, and it seems its not perfect, but I didnt do everything perfectly right either.

Here is the medium image I took.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/Photochops/ResizeWizard-2.jpg

Here is my first attemp at an HDR image...i dont know if it turned out how I liked, but its kinda neat. Also both pics were resized and thats about it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/Photochops/ResizeWizard-12.jpg

speedminded
03-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Ok here is the first one ive tried. I agree it isnt all that good, and it seems its not perfect, but I didnt do everything perfectly right either.

Here is the medium image I took.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/Photochops/ResizeWizard-2.jpg

Here is my first attemp at an HDR image...i dont know if it turned out how I liked, but its kinda neat. Also both pics were resized and thats about it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/Photochops/ResizeWizard-12.jpgWhy do you say that's HDR?

speedminded
03-20-2008, 06:38 AM
You needed one more shot exposing for the sky then you could have a killer photo, other than the top of the tree being cut off...

speedminded
03-20-2008, 06:44 AM
and here's a second crude one adding a little contrast, i can't tell what i'm doing because of this archaic CRT monitor that is wayy too dark even having the brighness turned up 100%

speedminded
03-20-2008, 06:48 AM
An HDR images is made by exposing for each area in a shot that is too dark or too light to be taken in a single shot...

The sky was one shot, the mountains in the distance were probably another, the trees and foliage in the background was another, and the grass in the foreground was a another...HDR is made from 2 shots to a 1,000+ shots all combined into one photograph.

http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/images/HDR.jpg

mushroom_toy
03-20-2008, 09:55 AM
No ****. I found out what was wrong anyway. Even set at -2ev cs2 doesnt think that thats exposed low enough, so its processing the bright parts but not the dark.

speedminded
03-20-2008, 10:00 AM
No ****. I found out what was wrong anyway. Even set at -2ev cs2 doesnt think that thats exposed low enough, so its processing the bright parts but not the dark.Don't process any parts...combine the BEST and correctly exposed parts to make one photo.

green91
03-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Looks better than the original but seems like your color work could have been done with contrast/color adjustments, im not sure you accomplished a HDR type picture though

mushroom_toy
03-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Its because merge-hdr in photoshop didnt think my darkest pic was underexposed enough, so im just gonna take more sets of photos next time like one at 2,1,0,-1,-2 , instead of just the three set.

HachiDori
03-20-2008, 08:01 PM
There are so many ways to get FREE programs. Google.com is the best thing invented. I've gotten Sony Vegas to photoshop cs3 for free. just look.

For HDR, and being new at it I would recommend PhotoMatix Pro. Get it off limewire or find a version of it in google.com. Someone before asked and i posted a link to where they could download it for free.

then just get a crack.

green91
03-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Gotcha. post pics of your next attempt

Justin.
03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
photo matrix makes hdr so easy a newb could do it...but the results are kinda iffy...

doing a hdr in photoshop comes our soooooo much better.

mushroom_toy
03-21-2008, 12:10 AM
^Thats what ive read, and im gonna try my hardest to not use an easy ass program....because well i want to feel like ive accomplished something even with my crappy p&s. hahaa. I might dowload photomatix in the next week or so though.