PDA

View Full Version : Pulstar "spark plugs". Input anyone?

DieselNuts
03-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Has anyone heard of these plugs? Better yet, does anyone have any experience using them? What are your thoughts?

Pulstar Plugs LINK (http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html)

allmotorX
03-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Has anyone heard of these plugs? Better yet, does anyone have any experience using them? What are your thoughts?

Pulstar Plugs LINK (http://www.pulstarplug.com/howtheywork.html)Well i just bought some havent gotten them in yet but i heard good thing about them your suppose to gain a couple whp from them. I also seen the dyno to prove it. Oh and they're expensive ass hell

E=MC˛
03-18-2008, 12:12 PM
lmk if they do anything....

how much were they. im just curious.

allmotorX
03-18-2008, 12:14 PM
lmk if they do anything....

how much were they. im just curious.for european aka imports 24.95 a piece

Z U L8R
03-18-2008, 12:35 PM
i'm using pulstars at the moment

i got be-1's for my ka. be-1's are good for ngk bcpr or bkr 5,6, or 7 heat range, if you run a colder plug like an 8, then you get the little coil over plug deal and continue using your 8 spark plugs.

i put mine in and it does seem a little more peppy, gas mileage did improve a little as well, and once you buy 4, you get a coupon for 25% off your next purchase, so for my 4 banger at $100 a set, i get 1 free plug next time.

i would like to take my car to the dyno with regular ngk bkr5e's @ .044 gap and do a run, then swap in the be-1's @ .044 gap and see for myself what the difference is.

you know how in the picture it gives a regular spark plug spark and it says by it "50 watt" then it has the pulstar plug next to it, with a spark that kind of looks like an led. and under it it says "1,000,000 watt". well just to be a smart ass, i put a regular plug into cylinder 1, and connected the pulstar to my spark plug wire and grounded the electrode to my valve cover to see if the spark really flashed like that........and well.....the spark looked exactly the same as a regular $1.89 ngk......

i also have a blaster coil as far as my external ignition coil goes so that should've helped as well....but it looked the same....

the idle does seem a bit smoother, that much is noticeable, and since my car is only 2000 pounds i would definately notice a 10-15hp increase......it may be in my head but it does truly feel a tad faster. once i do the dyno comparison on my own motor, i'll post up. but all in all it's only $100 and i wanted to see for myself.

i'll keep ya posted,

Dave =]

DieselNuts
03-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I saw an ad for these in a magazine and had forgot about them untill someone on another board posted up about them. I read that they increase TQ "between 4-15%". After doing a little math, that seems VERY hard to believe. I guess if they do even get me an extra 2 miles per gallon, they will pay for themselves a few times in the long run.

I also seen the dyno to prove it.
Where was this?

allmotorX
03-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I saw an ad for these in a magazine and had forgot about them untill someone on another board posted up about them. I read that they increase TQ "between 4-15%". After doing a little math, that seems VERY hard to believe. I guess if they do even get me an extra 2 miles per gallon, they will pay for themselves a few times in the long run.

Where was this?that was also in a magazine

Z U L8R
03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
if u go to their website they have a couple dyno comparisons, but i want to see it on my motor with my own two eyes. we're all skeptics. the car does seem more torquey tho. the idea definately makes sense. we'll see if the rubber meets the road in the near future,
Dave =]

Dietcoke
03-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Just as big a scam as nology hot wires. Your ignition is INFINITELY more powerful in the realm of capacitance then any TINY **** inside the ceramic in a spark plug. Top fuel magnetos don't even generate one million watts. Do you have any idea how much ****ing power that is?

I've got a turbonator I'll sell you for $14.95

Z U L8R
03-19-2008, 01:49 PM
i wanna race the sky in my 510 kk :D after i install my turbonator pulse jets that give combined 1000hp and 1 jillion lb of thrust.

Dave =]

Dietcoke
03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Only if I can install one +85hp ebay performance chip per cylinder first. I want it to be a fair race.

khaxnguyen
03-19-2008, 05:47 PM
shiiit $25 each.. u bet it works. i'd buy it if i had a great BUILT motor with high compression, short strokes, and etc. advance auto parts works for me. u can buy performance parts there. OEM is more than good enough..

integra82786
03-19-2008, 05:48 PM
ngk all day, if you need horse power that bad then clean your k&n air filter or something. I just go with what I know I can trust, and any time I run anything but ngk's in my car it always seems to run worse.

khaxnguyen
03-19-2008, 05:54 PM
^ it's your state of mind. lol i thought my teg ran much much better when i changed the oil with restore engine restorer, changed spark plugs, fuel filter, pumped 93, tighten the throttle cable a bit more, and i thouhgt it was more responsive. either it's me or the car's new tune up. it hadnt had one in a while.

Member31410
03-20-2008, 02:41 PM
My Pulstars came in last week but they won't go on the car until probably this weekend. I want to make sure my car is operating at or near 100% first before putting the new plugs in. Mine were bought mainly to see if they would improve on my fuel economy as many people have claimed but the slight power increase would be nice too if there are any. My current best tank of gas netted 33.2 mpg and I'm hoping for 35 mpg with the Pulstars. We shall see if they can achieve my goal.

Dietcoke
03-20-2008, 02:50 PM
My Pulstars came in last week but they won't go on the car until probably this weekend. I want to make sure my car is operating at or near 100% first before putting the new plugs in. Mine were bought mainly to see if they would improve on my fuel economy as many people have claimed but the slight power increase would be nice too if there are any. My current best tank of gas netted 33.2 mpg and I'm hoping for 35 mpg with the Pulstars. We shall see if they can achieve my goal.

Is your ecm going to magically command your injectors to inject less fuel? Oh, right.

Member31410
03-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Is your ecm going to magically command your injectors to inject less fuel? Oh, right.

Is your "know it all without even trying out the product" attitude going to get me to seriously listen to you? Oh, right. :goodjob: The opinions from people who've actually used the product is what matters to me. Many new Pulstar users have claimed of the better fuel economy. Will my car achieve better fuel economy with these plugs? I don't know so I am trying them out. I didn't just see this thread and decide to buy the Pulstars because of it. The Pulstars have been out for quite a while now and I have been keeping a tab on the opinions of the users.

Dietcoke
03-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Is your "know it all without even trying out the product" attitude going to get me to seriously listen to you? Oh, right. :goodjob: The opinions from people who've actually used the product is what matters to me. Many new Pulstar users have claimed of the better fuel economy. Will my car achieve better fuel economy with these plugs? I don't know so I am trying them out. I didn't just see this thread and decide to buy the Pulstars because of it. The Pulstars have been out for quite a while now and I have been keeping a tab on the opinions of the users.

If you want to use less fuel command your ecm to inject less fuel. Regardless of what plugs you use (lol), your ecm is still going to command a certain amount of fuel to be injected versus load, VE tables, and its st/lt fuel trims. How are you going to pick up mileage?

Kaiser
03-23-2008, 04:36 PM
If you want to use less fuel command your ecm to inject less fuel. Regardless of what plugs you use (lol), your ecm is still going to command a certain amount of fuel to be injected versus load, VE tables, and its st/lt fuel trims. How are you going to pick up mileage?

By having to press the pedal less?

bandydesign
03-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Funny you posted it, I just noticed the ad in Popular Mechanics yesterday after hearing that I have an issue with the number one plug or wire from a shop. So, I checked out the website and looked at it and I was sold until I saw the price. Im not sure if Im lucky or not to have 8 spark plugs in my four-banger. But, I deduced that to mean that for twice the price of everyone else with four cylinder engines I would see less improvement. It seems to me the advantage is a more complete burn, something I would guess that I am already closer to having dual plugs.

So, I went down to Autozone and asked what choices I had for plugs, I chose some Autolite Platinum plugs that ended up costing me around 22 dollars for all 8. These were probably around OEM quality and they were the same as the plugs my dad put in his Ranger about 50k miles ago. He pulled those out today and they seemed to have wore very well over those miles.

Here is the worst of my plugs that I pulled from my truck:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/kevinbandy1/IA/sparkplug.jpg

The gap had augmented from .044 to .060 simply from the wear of the electrode dropping away from the tab above.

So what I had undergone was swapping the plugs and while I was at it I replaced the wires and...

The Result:
I have noticeable power improvement and my idle dropped 200 rpm. The engine runs incredibly smoother. I have not tested fuel economy change yet.

In summary, because of the poor previous condition of my plugs, swapping to new mid grade plugs improved the vehicle greatly. What I would hypothesize is that I would not see much more improvement with better plugs. It seems to me that I should get complete burn because I have dual plugs and I know now that keeping up with replacing your spark plugs is critical for a smooth running engine and to maintain power.

DieselNuts
09-16-2008, 07:19 PM
I was watching Horsepower TV the other day & they did a before & after dyno with these plugs in a C5 auto vette & it made 4hp & 7ft lbs over the other plugs...