PDA

View Full Version : HIDs + HID battery wire harness = Confused with wiring! *Quality pics* Please Help!!

Fuster_Cluck
03-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I ordered the battery wire harness off ebay. It already looks like the 10" power wire is not going to be long enough on the ebay harness :gay:

I'm thinking the 2 harnesses that match up on the ballast and bulb connect to each other (2nd pic). Then I am left with 2 spade connectors off the bulb that I will have to splice into the 2 plugs (on the right 1st pic) :thinking:

The 2 prong plug will plug into the OEM pass. headlight harness.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/Hybrid93Hatch/Hybrid93Hatch%20K20a2%20build%20/HIDS/03-16-08011_rs35_cr.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o225/Hybrid93Hatch/Hybrid93Hatch%20K20a2%20build%20/HIDS/03-16-08006_rs35_cr.jpg

Thanks for any help you can offer :cheers:

NAIZBST
03-16-2008, 10:04 AM
it should be simple to connect..... you connect the bulb harness to the harness going to the HID ballast then from there it hooks to factory harness, but what you have here isn't for a honda.........hmmmmmmm

hondachik
03-16-2008, 10:11 AM
should have just bought from NITRO and got free tech help over the phone like I...and plenty other IA members did :goodjob:

Fuster_Cluck
03-16-2008, 10:17 AM
it should be simple to connect..... you connect the bulb harness to the harness going to the HID ballast then from there it hooks to factory harness, but what you have here isn't for a honda.........hmmmmmmm

Yes, I realize I can wire the HIDs directly to my OEM wiring. But, with the time and $ I have invested in my hatch I'd rather not risk an electrical fire. :no:

should have just bought from NITRO and got free tech help over the phone like I...and plenty other IA members did :goodjob:

Why didn't you tell me this last year before I picked up the HIDs :ninja: I posted this on 5 forums..... Out of the 5 I'll get free tech help from one of them :lmfao:

Nang
03-16-2008, 10:31 AM
plug it into your oem plug

Dietcoke
03-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Why would you get an electrical fire for wiring it up the way it's supposed to be.

Go get a soldering iron, some rosin core electical solder, and a pack of shrink wrap and do it the right way.

Fuster_Cluck
03-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Why would you get an electrical fire for wiring it up the way it's supposed to be.

The ballasts draw a large amount of current at start up. This can overload the OEM wiring which was not designed to handle such a load which then can lead to an electrical fire. It's not supposed to be wired that way. Yes, that is one option for wiring HIDs, but is it safe..... well you take a risk.

If I wanted to wire the HIDS to my OEM wiring:

1) I wouldn't of purchased a battery wire harness

2 I would of plugged everything in as stated.

But, I want to do this the safe / proper way.

My build was very time & money consuming without cutting any corners. Why would I want to cut the corner with the electrical now :no:

hondachik
03-16-2008, 11:14 AM
wow....

um. i forsee this thread turning in to some arguing and some neg reps...therefore, i leave:goodjob:

NAIZBST
03-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I was just saying that there are many many companies that make plug and play kits for hondas

Dietcoke
03-16-2008, 11:30 AM
The ballasts draw a large amount of current at start up. This can overload the OEM wiring which was not designed to handle such a load which then can lead to an electrical fire. It's not supposed to be wired that way. Yes, that is one option for wiring HIDs, but is it safe..... well you take a risk.

If I wanted to wire the HIDS to my OEM wiring:

1) I wouldn't of purchased a battery wire harness

2 I would of plugged everything in as stated.

But, I want to do this the safe / proper way.

My build was very time & money consuming without cutting any corners. Why would I want to cut the corner with the electrical now :no:

Just.... wrong. But I see there's nothing else I can do to help here. A direct connection is no different then a plug when it comes to load. If it were an absurd load, the factory fuse would pop. Ballasts draw a much smaller load then a halogen bulb, even at startup. I hate to say you're misinformed... but the ballasts draw their current from the battery and their power wires, not the factory plugs/harness.

Nitro
03-16-2008, 12:29 PM
:thinking:

kaotickaozpunk
03-16-2008, 03:16 PM
kool

TypeRPersonality
03-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Hope this helps, everything else should be self-explanatory.

I meant to circle the red wire, not the red box.

green91
03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
I actually think its a better idea than plugging into and relying on stock wiring to power the ballasts. Ive had to replace bulb sockets and combination switches from HID kits that relied solely on oem wiring.