PDA

View Full Version : 2005 ford explorer XLS/Sport - 60k service

Schugg
03-15-2008, 07:48 PM
i have a 60k coming up and im sure the hell not paying ford to half ass and only do parts of it. so im going to go up there and just ask for all the 60k parts and do it myself. ive never really done much on my explorer except oil changes,air filter, and all that, but just wanted some advice on how to do the tranny filter, and flush, will i have to have the machine to do the full flush or is there a way i can do it on my own? like adding fluid, i didnt see a way to do that, or a dipstick hole. then the tranny filter im sure i can get that, just drain the fluid drop the pan and change it? then i have to do the differential, is this just a drain and add or some special thing for that too? im fairly positive and can do everything it needs, just want to know if there is any tricks on any of it. only cars ive really ever worked on were honda's, ive dont plenty of 60k's on ridgelines and other bigger hondas, but im familiar with all those not a ford.

On_Her_Face
03-16-2008, 10:22 PM
if you were still in GA i could hook you up with the parts for cost (i work at ford)

03RCode
03-16-2008, 11:43 PM
For the transmission if you dont have a machine you could always just drop the pan, get a filter and gasket kit from napa or some other parts store, replace the filter, then refill it. Should drain everything but the torque converter.

Schugg
03-18-2008, 06:50 PM
if you were still in GA i could hook you up with the parts for cost (i work at ford)

ill be in georgia the 12-26th of april, im coming from texas going to conyers, dont know if i go through or near duluth. if i do ill stop by, i wont actually be hitting around 60k til i get back from georgia. how much will all the parts end up costing? so i can make sure i have enough. i already have the actual tranny filter, and im probably going to get a K&N filter, ill just need everything else, fluids, gaskets, cabin filter whatever else comes with a 60k.

For the transmission if you dont have a machine you could always just drop the pan, get a filter and gasket kit from napa or some other parts store, replace the filter, then refill it. Should drain everything but the torque converter.

i dont have a machine but the auto hobby shop on base may have one i can use, i hope, ide rather do that. im pretty sure i can get the draining, dropping the pan and changing the filter, im just not sure where i would refill it, is there somewhere i can put a funnel and pour it in, or will i have to use one of those hand pumping things?

Schugg
03-18-2008, 07:33 PM
what the hell, im looking at my maintenance schedule on some ford site and its completely different then what my book has,

then genuineservice.com site for my car says

Change engine oil and replace oil filter (Up to 5 quarts of oil. Perform at specified mileage interval or every 6 months, whichever occurs first)

Perform multi-point inspection

Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise

Inspect automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with underhood dipstick)

Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system

Inspect engine cooling system and hoses

Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints

Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields

Replace engine air filter

Replace fuel filter

Inspect 4x2 front wheel bearings; replace grease and grease seals, and adjust bearings

but the actual manual has all kinds of other stuff, like doing the tranny, cabin filter, and a few other things, this site says done do anything with changing the tranny/transaxle fluid and filter until around 150k?!

03RCode
03-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Funnel goes straight in the tranny dipstick tube. I would go ahead and drain the transmission and change the filter... I usually tend to do so every 50,000 or so. I think of it as cheap insurance, I believe a filter kit is like $25 from NAPA, and some ATF is cheap as well. I definetly wouldnt wait till 150,000. If you have any questions about it feel free to PM me.

Ooohhh and I'd also check the differentials, and transfer case as well. Never hurts to keep a close eye on them.

Schugg
03-19-2008, 06:21 AM
i have the filter already, but also, unless im had a really stupid moment, i dont think i have a tranny dip stick. ive worked on alot of cars and i know it can be hard to find sometimes, but i dont think its there. and alot of websites say things like your your tranny is equipped with a dipstick, check the fluid blah blah, so i guess some dont have it. if i dont, where would i fill it then? is there a bolt or plug ill be able to take out an do it from there?

03RCode
03-19-2008, 07:15 AM
If im not mistaken on the newer explorers its on the passenger side towards the back, but only comes to about 1/2 way up... I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure about it. I dont recall seeing an Explorer with a sealed transmission.

03RCode
03-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Wait, after slightly more research it sayd the 5R55W does use a sealed transmission. This site here will instruct you on how to drain it and fill it. A little more time consuming and slightly more involved project but still should be worth it in the end.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1835198

Schugg
03-19-2008, 08:43 PM
wow, that sucks, i hope to god i dont have to do all that! im going to look a little harder for a dipstick. i hope i find one! i looked in the passenger back side but i think it was full of nothing, ill check it again.

03RCode
03-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah chances are you have a 5R55W and you will have to do it, it sucks but once youve done it once its cake the next times. The pump you use is a good tool to have around as well if you do any transmission work on newer cars.

Schugg
03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
the one i seen in the pic i think is the same thing i have, just put it in the oil jug, and hand pump it. i was thinking of something though. the small radiator looking things that flow tranny fluid through to cool it. would i be able to take the hose that puts fluid through the cooler in a bucket, (so all oil fluid is taken out) and the hose that sucks the cooled oil to the tranny in a jug of fluid? (so that all clean fluid is pulled in) or does it not suck the fluid through just push it through?

either way would it be possible to fill it through one of those? im going to double check to make sure thats what that thing was, but it would be alot easier doing something like that. dont want to go buy a plug, have to pump it through the bottom make a giant mess trying to put the normal plug in.....

Schugg
03-20-2008, 05:56 PM
i looked at the train plug theres a main plug i take out to drain it, accord to some picture on some sites its a tall and hollow plug, then to fill it, i put the plug back in and on the center of the plug there is another mini allen wrench plug that i take out to check is the tranny is full, which i guess is also where i will fill, also seen something about i have to use some special tranny mercon v?

03RCode
03-20-2008, 10:20 PM
From what I've read everyone recommends Mercon V in a 5R55W. And yes you fill through the hole you check it at.

Schugg
03-21-2008, 06:02 PM
ok, thats what i was reading, i found out the auto shop on base has a flush kit, just need to see if i can use my own fluid in it. i just have to pay 3 dollars an hour for the car lift then i can use all the tool and machines i need, and they have a guy thats will actually use the machine for me.