PDA

View Full Version : What Apartments do you guys live in?

koukis14
03-15-2008, 07:22 PM
I am looking at apartments. where do you guys live? Or just let me know some good and places to avoid. I would like to stay around Cobb county, Marietta, Kennesaw, Sandy Springs area. Thanks:goodjob:

reps if I can for help.

95alty
03-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Well in buckhead im at the Manor at buckhead if you feel like moving here... its 3 minutes from smyrna

AnthonyF
03-15-2008, 07:59 PM
I am in dunwoody right now with a buddy (willumpb14 and used to be Kayfunk) but I am about to move out. Looking for a roomie. Going to stay in dunwoody area...if ur intertested.

Jecht
03-15-2008, 08:31 PM
There are a lot of nice ones around Smyrna, just look google apartments in Smyrna GA. I'd give you names of some of the nice ones, but I can never remember them.

blackshine007
03-15-2008, 08:37 PM
If at all possible, why waste money paying rent when you can always buy? I bought a home out in the country and it's great. No neighbors above, besides and below me to annoy me and it's great. Did I mention that it's great? Or being able to work on your own vehicle and if need be park it in the garage? I know some apartments do the same but it's not the same as owning your own home with a garage.

Jecht
03-15-2008, 08:39 PM
If at all possible, why waste money paying rent when you can always buy? I bought a home out in the country and it's great. No neighbors above, besides and below me to annoy me and it's great. Did I mention that it's great? Or being able to work on your own vehicle and if need be park it in the garage? I know some apartments do the same but it's not the same as owning your own home with a garage.

Houses in Cobb County aren't exactly cheap. :(

AnthonyF
03-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Houses in Cobb County aren't exactly cheap. :(nor are the ones in D-wood. i used to live with my rents in Jackson county before everyone started moving up there. got a...well...a good size house for nearly half of what it would be anywhere else. but i cant drive 45 miles...ONE way to work everyday.

RandomGuy
03-15-2008, 08:50 PM
but i cant drive 45 miles...ONE way to work everyday.
PU55Y

HyPer50
03-15-2008, 08:58 PM
East Lake Apartments off Roswell Rd... no complaints from me..

Turbo04
03-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Apartments = ****.

Seriously. It makes no sense to rent something you'll never own or even have help your credit for the same price as owning a house. Can't afford a house where you'd like to live? Life aint all roses and sometimes you have to move away from where you'd like to be in order to make things better in the long run for yourself. Not to mention there is always the chance that one of your stupid neighbors will burn your **** down for ya, and you gotta deal with other ppl.

oh and I drive 40 miles one way when I have to go to the office. :)

GuessWho
03-15-2008, 10:31 PM
^ re re...
I live in Sandy Springs/Buckhead and the road i live off of has like 6 Apart. complexes and the one i reside in (Charleston Court) is NOT THAT GOOD... lol...
Even tho i've been here for 2 yrs now... still not that good... PRICEEEEEEE as hell...
Nice area tho:goodjob: and right close to Buckhead, D-wood lol, Smyrna, and lots other places....
Good luck tho son....

koukis14
03-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks guys. If I could afford a house I would but I am still paying for my mistakes I made with credit cards when I was a little younger and dumber. I will look into East Lake Hyper50. I appreciate the offer trymy4.0 but I really need my own space. Thanks again guys.

TheGodfather
03-15-2008, 11:32 PM
My favorite place is my parents house, last room down the hall.

Woot.

koukis14
03-15-2008, 11:42 PM
My favorite place is my parents house, last room down the hall.

Woot.

Has crossed my mind but I am not moving back to Pennsylvania.

TheGodfather
03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Has crossed my mind but I am not moving back to Pennsylvania.

Ah. Gotcha.

Yeah, it is always a viable option in my eyes.

Paying extra expenses to live alone is worth it if the living environment is unstable or you are unhappy. But it some cases, such as mine, I don't mind at all.

koukis14
03-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Ah. Gotcha.

Yeah, it is always a viable option in my eyes.

Paying extra expenses to live alone is worth it if the living environment is unstable or you are unhappy. But it some cases, such as mine, I don't mind at all.

I had alot of fun in PA living with my parents, and partying all the time but there were no jobs and I moved down here for my girlfriend..........or ex-girlfriend I guess now. But there are endless jobs down here in my field so I am going to stick around and climb the ladder.

BobbyFresco
03-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I had alot of fun in PA living with my parents, and partying all the time but there were no jobs and I moved down here for my girlfriend..........or ex-girlfriend I guess now. But there are endless jobs down here in my field so I am going to stick around and climb the ladder.

What happened with the gf?

Anyway, I have a house in Woodstock that I rent out and the tenants will be moving out soon... It's a 2 year old two bed/2 bath townhouse with a one car garage. Rent is 900/month.

If you're interested in buying I can perhaps help you out with a lease purchase.
Let me know.

ksniperfox
03-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Apartments = ****.

Seriously. It makes no sense to rent something you'll never own or even have help your credit for the same price as owning a house.

it does make sense. i never do any yardwork, do any maintanence whatsoever, pay for anything that breaks or leaks, or pay for anything anybody else vandalizes. i get a nice gated community, 1 heated pool, 1 mineral water pool, a ****ING nice gym with trainers. i dont pay property taxes, nor do i worry about having to sell my house if i want to move(potentially losing money).
it helps my credit tremendously.

and as far as the same price as owning a house, there are lots of apartments cheaper than houses. and they give you the option for roommates, which significantly reduces your monthly payment. you could always let your buddy stay at your house and try to charge him rent. but at the end of the month when he says he doesnt want to pay, whose name is on the deed?

OT, i stay at colonial grand. a pretty nice place in a pretty good part of town, but i pay a pretty penny. they probably have some in your area. check it out.

t3ggr
03-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Me and Ed live in The lakes at vinings. The rent is really good for being in downtown vinings and they are loft/ townhome apartments, so there is no one above or below you.

There is a bunch of pubs within 3 minute walking distance, so you can just get drunk and walk home. Its right next 285 and is 2 minutes from buckhead, smyrna, and marietta.

Turbo04
03-16-2008, 12:25 PM
it does make sense. i never do any yardwork, do any maintanence whatsoever, pay for anything that breaks or leaks, or pay for anything anybody else vandalizes. i get a nice gated community, 1 heated pool, 1 mineral water pool, a ****ING nice gym with trainers. i dont pay property taxes, nor do i worry about having to sell my house if i want to move(potentially losing money).
it helps my credit tremendously.

and as far as the same price as owning a house, there are lots of apartments cheaper than houses. and they give you the option for roommates, which significantly reduces your monthly payment. you could always let your buddy stay at your house and try to charge him rent. but at the end of the month when he says he doesnt want to pay, whose name is on the deed?

OT, i stay at colonial grand. a pretty nice place in a pretty good part of town, but i pay a pretty penny. they probably have some in your area. check it out.

It does NOTHING to help your credit. The apt's don't report to the companies when you make payments on time...but they certainly report if you don't make them. And if your living with room mates in a apt and one doesn't pay who do you think is responsible for making up the difference? Yep same as your theory about owning a house, you get screwed just the same.
And your right about not having to pay for anything directly out of pocket to be fixed, nor taxes and such, but you do pay for it within rent. And yeah no worrying about selling when you want to move. But 10 years, hell 5 years from now when you do move you have NOTHING to show for all the moola you sunk into rent. Apt's make sense if you cannot get a loan/ or have the money to outright purchase a house. But if you can buy and choose not to, then your just pissing money away that you'll have nothing to show for it in the long run.
And yes I've lived in a apartments and it was ****, not that I had a bad run in with anyone while I lived there and actually I had many a laughs at my neighbors expense, but now I have nothing to show for all that money I spent on rent.

Echonova
03-16-2008, 12:42 PM
I hate apartments for the following reasons:
I hate people
I hate neighbors
I hate hearing my neighbors on both sides and above me humping at 2:30am
I hate parking my car out in the open
I hate someone telling me what I can or cannot have in my residence (pets and such)
I hate not being able to stagger out on my back deck and piss without 50 people seeing when I'm too drunk to make it up the stairs.
I hate having the police show up because some ass thinks I'm being too loud with my music and won't come and ask me to turn it down himself.
I hate looking at white walls, and I refuse to paint someone else's.
I hate people.

koukis14
03-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I hate apartments for the following reasons:
I hate people
I hate neighbors
I hate hearing my neighbors on both sides and above me humping at 2:30am
I hate parking my car out in the open
I hate someone telling me what I can or cannot have in my residence (pets and such)
I hate not being able to stagger out on my back deck and piss without 50 people seeing when I'm too drunk to make it up the stairs.
I hate having the police show up because some ass thinks I'm being too loud with my music and won't come and ask me to turn it down himself.
I hate looking at white walls, and I refuse to paint someone else's.
I hate people.

Thank you....NOW GIVE ME THE CAR IN YOUR SIG!!!!!

ksniperfox
03-17-2008, 09:26 AM
It does NOTHING to help your credit. The apt's don't report to the companies when you make payments on time...but they certainly report if you don't make them. And if your living with room mates in a apt and one doesn't pay who do you think is responsible for making up the difference? Yep same as your theory about owning a house, you get screwed just the same.
And your right about not having to pay for anything directly out of pocket to be fixed, nor taxes and such, but you do pay for it within rent. And yeah no worrying about selling when you want to move. But 10 years, hell 5 years from now when you do move you have NOTHING to show for all the moola you sunk into rent. Apt's make sense if you cannot get a loan/ or have the money to outright purchase a house. But if you can buy and choose not to, then your just pissing money away that you'll have nothing to show for it in the long run.
And yes I've lived in a apartments and it was ****, not that I had a bad run in with anyone while I lived there and actually I had many a laughs at my neighbors expense, but now I have nothing to show for all that money I spent on rent.

my apartment allows its units to have more than 1 person renting, effectively splitting the rent, legally. maybe not everywhere, i guess. this is my first apartment. if i were interested in living in an apartment more than 1-2 years then yes, i would have looked into buying a house. but im not.
not that i do not want a house, but i want more to spend less $. hence when my lease is up, i will be moving in with a room mate. and my share will only be a few hundred dollars a month. after 50 years, the $ i had paid monthly will only equal about 180k. that would barely afford a nice house. and then, i would be 71. id rather save now and advance my career, then look into the long term nice housing when i can afford it. the only thing i have to show after spending $ on rent is the $ i have saved. i spend it on things i like. i put some in the bank for later. credit or not, im not worried. my credit is good. if your credit is bad, some people should look into more stable ways to increase credit scores(a cheap vehicle, paying the bills you already have, etc) than going straight to a house first. having good credit will save you a **** ton of money on your mortgage.

i know its not like that for everyone, just my gameplan. each choice has advatages over the other. just depends which situation each person is that determines which is best at the time.

chrisdavis
03-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I will never rent another apartment again. I had an extremely bad experience with one to the point that I broke the lease. From then on I only rented houses till I bought my own. Personally I would check out what StuntAllDay is offering.

Ran
03-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Colonial Grand @ Barret Creek (Behind Sherlocks on Barret Pkwy) was a nice place. Gated community, nice pool, good sized apartments for a decent price. Check them out.

Nissan Sean
03-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I will never rent another apartment again. I had an extremely bad experience with one to the point that I broke the lease. From then on I only rented houses till I bought my own. Personally I would check out what StuntAllDay is offering.

yeah like they said, why not just rent a house, its usually the same monthly rent mabye a lil more but you get all the amenities of a house and none of the downfalls of an apartment. GL either way.

eViLMunkey
03-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Hoose:

http://a617.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/60/l_82469da5faf0f80c2cc38333472caa00.jpg

the last home I rented in Buckhead S.Springs was $500 a month (plus was a guest house behind a family friend's house)

koukis14
03-17-2008, 09:55 PM
the last home I rented in Buckhead S.Springs was $500 a month (plus was a guest house behind a family friend's house)

Is it available?

Turbo04
03-18-2008, 12:47 AM
my apartment allows its units to have more than 1 person renting, effectively splitting the rent, legally. maybe not everywhere, i guess. this is my first apartment. if i were interested in living in an apartment more than 1-2 years then yes, i would have looked into buying a house. but im not.
not that i do not want a house, but i want more to spend less $. hence when my lease is up, i will be moving in with a room mate. and my share will only be a few hundred dollars a month. after 50 years, the $ i had paid monthly will only equal about 180k. that would barely afford a nice house. and then, i would be 71. id rather save now and advance my career, then look into the long term nice housing when i can afford it. the only thing i have to show after spending $ on rent is the $ i have saved. i spend it on things i like. i put some in the bank for later. credit or not, im not worried. my credit is good. if your credit is bad, some people should look into more stable ways to increase credit scores(a cheap vehicle, paying the bills you already have, etc) than going straight to a house first. having good credit will save you a **** ton of money on your mortgage.

i know its not like that for everyone, just my gameplan. each choice has advatages over the other. just depends which situation each person is that determines which is best at the time.

Many apt's let you have more then one person on the lease. Thats all nice and good but if one doesn't pony up his share then the others have to either make up the difference or take the hit like they did not pay. The same thing you said about having a roommate in a house. When I say buying a house makes more sense I don't mean buying some super expensive house you can barely afford. If you pay 700 a month for a nice apt, but can get a decent house for the same price why piss away the moola for the apt when you can have a house for the same price? I pay 865 a month for my house which is 30 bucks more then what the rent would've cost me to stay in my apt without a roommate. For that 30 bucks more I got 3/4 acre of land, 2 car garage and the freedom of not having anyone tell me what I can or can't do.
Right now if you can get a loan it's a buyers market. Even a rent to own makes more sense. But to each their own.

chrisdavis
03-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Many apt's let you have more then one person on the lease. Thats all nice and good but if one doesn't pony up his share then the others have to either make up the difference or take the hit like they did not pay. The same thing you said about having a roommate in a house. When I say buying a house makes more sense I don't mean buying some super expensive house you can barely afford. If you pay 700 a month for a nice apt, but can get a decent house for the same price why piss away the moola for the apt when you can have a house for the same price? I pay 865 a month for my house which is 30 bucks more then what the rent would've cost me to stay in my apt without a roommate. For that 30 bucks more I got 3/4 acre of land, 2 car garage and the freedom of not having anyone tell me what I can or can't do.
Right now if you can get a loan it's a buyers market. Even a rent to own makes more sense. But to each their own.

I can only partially agree with this. Does your $865 include property taxes and insurance or is it just the mortgage itself? Without knowing his long term plans, or his financial situation. Buying may not be in his best interest. Yes the difference between renting and buying can be marginal, but if someone cannot afford to pay the property taxes, insurance, and repairs to the house, or if they only going to be in a location briefly, then buying would be counterproductive.

TicketRedBB6
03-18-2008, 07:17 AM
apartmentratings.com has ratings of apartments within whatever area you choose. They also have user reviews, pics, and specs of the apartments. I've been using it a lot to look for apartments around the southside. Hope this helps.

eViLMunkey
03-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Is it available?

possibly not sure if she's rented it out... I have to call her sometime this week I'll ask...

koukis14
03-18-2008, 08:13 AM
apartmentratings.com has ratings of apartments within whatever area you choose. They also have user reviews, pics, and specs of the apartments. I've been using it a lot to look for apartments around the southside. Hope this helps.

I have beed using it too. That is where I got the scorpion thread I started from. The only problem is if it is not a super expensive place everyone who has had a problem says the place is awfull.everyone says it is ****.

koukis14
03-18-2008, 08:13 AM
possibly not sure if she's rented it out... I have to call her sometime this week I'll ask...

JennB
03-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Try looking on craigslist. You can find apartment that aren't in apartment complexes that may let you avoid some of the bad parts of living in a complex. That's where you would find people that are renting out apartments over their garage or in their basement. I've browsed there before and some of it's pretty nice. It's the best place to find stuff if you want to live intown.

But, I'll never live in an apartment again. I love having a house and a garage. I lived in an apartment for the first two years I was in Atlanta though because I didn't know how long I would be here or what part of town I wanted to be in. Now I'm all settled and the house is great.

Turbo04
03-18-2008, 01:25 PM
I can only partially agree with this. Does your $865 include property taxes and insurance or is it just the mortgage itself? Without knowing his long term plans, or his financial situation. Buying may not be in his best interest. Yes the difference between renting and buying can be marginal, but if someone cannot afford to pay the property taxes, insurance, and repairs to the house, or if they only going to be in a location briefly, then buying would be counterproductive.
865 includes taxes/insurance also whatever that thing is you have to pay if you less then 20% equity in the house. (can't remember the name of it). I've never said you should not do anything but buy a house, but if your in a position that financially you can afford a house, even if your staying for a year. You'll end up with something you can either a: sell , b: rent out and in each case you have something to show for the money spent. If you live in an apartment you end up with nothing but money wasted with nothing to show for it. Not to mention the tax breaks for owning said house.