PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! stripped head stud :(

Mr. Clean
03-15-2008, 05:56 PM
yeah so i was going to take my valve cover off to clean it and one of the acorn nuts just kept on spinning. so it is stripped in the head i believe... what the hell do i do about this?? any ideas... any help will be greatly appreciated.

if you dont understand my dillema just say so and i will try and go into further detail w/ pictures and such.

EmminoDaGreat
03-15-2008, 06:48 PM
lol i was thinking an actual head stud not the valve cover bolts. retap it, and if it is broken off you can try to use a punch and tap the broken piece out.

Mr. Clean
03-15-2008, 06:52 PM
well i cant get the acorn nut off to get the valve cover off to get to the studs that are threaded on both sides (one side into the head and one side to hold the valve cover down)

the acorn nut just spins and spins so one corner of my valve cover is still bolted down... its not stripped enough where i can just pull the screw out of the head or pull the acorn nut off.

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Justin you had me worried for nothing. Do what emino said and you should be golden. I thought you meant a real head stud. You gonna paint the vc, and put that new gasket on? Oh yeah how did yalls apartments fair in the storm, did yall lose any power?

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 06:53 PM
well i cant get the acorn nut off to get the valve cover off to get to the studs that are threaded on both sides (one side into the head and one side to hold the valve cover down)

the acorn nut just spins and spins so one corner of my valve cover is still bolted down... its not stripped enough where i can just pull the screw out of the head or pull the acorn nut off.

Try putting pressure on the underside of the vc with something like a screwdriver to put tension on the nut/bolt so maybe you can screw it off that way. conver the screwdriver in a rag or somethign to protect the vc/head.

Mr. Clean
03-15-2008, 07:48 PM
tried that... didnt work... i tried putting a vice grip on it and pull while i was unscrewing. and i tried to pry it up while unscrewing and i tried to use a drill to maybe break it loose.

anymore ideas?

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 07:52 PM
tried that... didnt work... i tried putting a vice grip on it and pull while i was unscrewing. and i tried to pry it up while unscrewing and i tried to use a drill to maybe break it loose.

anymore ideas? Cut that ***** of and bu a new bolt/nut. I wish i could come down and help as Im sure we culd figure or rig up something to work.....but im at work unfortunately. If you can grab the bolt, then try to put the visegrips on as tight as you can and try to get the nut off in the opposite direction...but i dont think youl;l have room to fit the vicegrips on.

changaroo
03-15-2008, 07:57 PM
easy out?

Mr. Clean
03-15-2008, 08:04 PM
yeah if it was loose enough where i could grab the bolt then i would be good but its still semi-tight but its just wont get any tighter or looser so im screwed... i may have to drimmel the nut and the top of the bolt off and then get it out of the head and re-tap it but i dont know how to retap or how where to get another headstud that would be just a little bigger and a new acorn nut that wont look way bigger than all the rest...

ah geez

wOZrally
03-15-2008, 08:06 PM
drill a hole in the middle. put a screw it in and screw it out. works. tru story

Schugg
03-15-2008, 09:02 PM
damn your delslo is having all kinds of problems! ever find out the deal with the milky film in your oil leak trail? by acorn nut, im assuming you mean one of the 5 or so long bolts through the valve cover to hold it on? with the curved washer over the black plastic piece? dont see why it would just keep spinning in either direction and not be able to just be pulled out. probably just need to try and cut the head off. in my case, if i didnt have anything to cut it, ide loosen all the other bolts and pry on the cover til the bolt broke, but thats not recommended....haha

Mr. Clean
03-15-2008, 09:50 PM
yeah i just have finally decided to tackle the oil leak... thats really the only reason all these problems have come along

1) oil in the intake so i cleaned and i think it sprayed water on my tranny (hence the milkyness i think)

2) took my v-tec solenoid off to see how bad the gasket was and when i put it back on (have to wait for the new one to come in the mail) i think i broke the already fragile seal it had so now it leaks even more.

3) tried to take the valve cover off to clean it so i could trace the oil leaking into the spark plug channel and now i cant tighten or loosen one corner.

4) oil leaks are the devil.

but i really need to figure out this stripped valve cover bolt. oh the little washers with the plastic on the bottom are actually metal washers attached to a rubber seal and they leak like a ***** if you dont tighten em down real good, shugg... but im sure you know that hahahaha

the nut circled below is the one i cant get off... (not my motor)

southside
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
yeah so i was going to take my valve cover off to clean it and one of the acorn nuts just kept on spinning. so it is stripped in the head i believe... what the hell do i do about this?? any ideas... any help will be greatly appreciated.

if you dont understand my dillema just say so and i will try and go into further detail w/ pictures and such.take it off and put anotha one in

Mr. Clean
03-15-2008, 10:04 PM
man your a goddamn genius! i never thought of that

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 10:04 PM
take it off and put anotha one in

-_- You must be illiterate.

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Hey justin you got a dremel tool? Why dont ya try just cutting the nut off very carefully with a zizwheel or something? Also you could try to bust the nut with a nut buster. Its called something else but you can get one at autozone or something.

southside
03-15-2008, 10:08 PM
-_- You must be illiterate. Also make your sig smaller.shut up :2up: Sorry i didnt understand what you were saying the pics just went up

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 10:09 PM
shut up :2up: Sorry i didnt understand what you were saying the pics just went up

Then dont post till you see everything.

[QUOTE=clean_sol]acorn nuts just kept on spinning. so it is stripped in the head i believe... [QUOTE]

If you didnt understand that.....

Mr. Clean
03-15-2008, 10:10 PM
i got a nut buster for you.

but no i dont have a zizz wheel but my work does. but if i cut it i dont really know wtf to do from there... i dont know what size my current studs are and how big of one i should get and blah blah blah

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 10:11 PM
i got a nut buster for you.

but no i dont have a zizz wheel but my work does. but if i cut it i dont really know wtf to do from there... i dont know what size my current studs are and how big of one i should get and blah blah blah

You could try going to lowes or find someone with another b16 that is blown or something. And im serious about the nutbuster. Its a tool that is a pointed bolt in a steel shaft with a circle around it so you can tighten the sharp bolt down on a nut and break the nut. I have one at the house if you want to use it I can bring it to ya tomorrow, if you dont get it fixed by then,

Mr. Clean
03-15-2008, 10:13 PM
You could try going to lowes or find someone with another b16 that is blown or something.

well that sounds peachy but what if the head is stripped.

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey Justin I found this maybe something in it will help.
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2236267&postid=32950336

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 10:33 PM
If the head is stripped youll just have to retap it. Or try chasing the threads with something, or recoiling them.

"ridge"racer
03-16-2008, 10:44 AM
probably snapped the stud, just take the rest of them out and replace teh one you broke.

Mr. Clean
03-16-2008, 10:54 AM
well i guess im going to have to drimmel the nut off and get a new stud... which will be a royal pain the ass.

but lesson learned i suppose.