PDA

View Full Version : confused

FasTech
03-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Alright, picked up a 89si and it had a new b20a5 motor put in about 7 months ago(got the paper work) and the previous owner said that the trans was not shifting right, motor was having a hard time cranking up. Well it orignal had a b21 and I was wanting to know if the problem was because you needed to have a different ecu or something. and I;m about to get a new trans because the idoit took out the old one and threw under his pourch when the problem might have been something else, but just wanted to know if I needed to pick up a ecu

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
B21? Volvo engine? ->http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/b21atips.shtml

FasTech
03-15-2008, 09:37 PM
No its was a honda motor

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 11:08 PM
It was a B21A1 then. Its an unusual engine code, that why I didnt think it was even a Honda engine at first. you should be able to use the ecu, but since youre running a b20 just go ahead and get a b20 ecu, some of the problems could be from not haveing the right ecu.

Also what happened to the b21 engine. Its very rare.

FasTech
03-15-2008, 11:35 PM
I have the motor, but I don't know if I want to rid of it. maybe. If i do decide to get rid of it how much do you think i could get for it. thanks for the info

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I have the motor, but I don't know if I want to rid of it. maybe. If i do decide to get rid of it how much do you think i could get for it. thanks for the info

Oh I dont know but honestly i would rebuild it and put it in your car. There are not many of those motors left at all, its pretty rare. according to wikipedia anyway, but this is the first time Ive hear of one.

FasTech
03-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Well thats what I want to do, got to find out whats wrong with it. The guy I bought the car from said it wouldn't start when he got it so he just got another motor. But he sold it to me with the old motor and trans for $1200 so I thought it was a good deal.