PDA

View Full Version : Car won't Start. Electrical?

Chaz W
03-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I recently replaced the battery in the del sol (ls/vtec swap), and it is working fine etc. I went to start the car up yesterday and I turned the key the first notch was fine, second notch was fine everything worked electrically(lights, wipers heat/air). On the final notch the car wouldn't start, not even clicking, just complete silence.

It wouldn't jump off either, I pushed down all the sparkplug wires, made sure the battery connections were good etc and it still doesn't start.

The clock is accurate so i know the battery is fine.

What would you suggest is the issue? Spark plug needs replacing? Starter or distributor not good? I figured I would be able to tell if the starter was going bad but it was starting strong as ever with no problems even in the freezing cold.

What do you all reccommend?

Thanks,

Chaz

C-loS109
03-14-2008, 03:11 PM
check the starter would be my first guess.

Chaz W
03-14-2008, 06:25 PM
I've heard of the hammer method from several places,

Also a rusted starter solenoid might be the culprit.

What exactly is making the clicking sound? Is it the starter solenoid or the distributor or the spark plug?

green91
03-14-2008, 07:30 PM
First thing is to check the solenoid signal wire & power wires on the starter, check your battery voltage and that when you turn the key to the KOES position you are getting 12v+ at the solenoid signal wire.

redrumracer
03-14-2008, 08:28 PM
id check the starter. from what you said id assume it doesnt even turn the motor over. is that correct????

green91
03-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Thats what i just said. If you aren't getting 12+ at KOES on the solenoid signal wire then check out your clutch switch.

Nemesis
03-14-2008, 08:56 PM
The three things your car needs to run:

1. Fuel

2. Air

3. Spark

Check all.

SandM
03-14-2008, 11:02 PM
go figure, my car did the same thing about a week ago, and the power wire to my starter had fallen off. how, i don't know, but it did the same thing.
my guess is you have a bad starter or something is loose. the hammer method would be to strike the starter while someone is trying to turn the car over.

1flysi
03-15-2008, 02:40 AM
I agree with green91, Check the nuetral safety swith at the top of the clutch pedal. When my car did that the rubber plug rotted and fell apart. Do you see any think on the drivers floor board? You can jump the starter selonoid and that will let you know if your starter is good or if the problem is in the starter circuit.

green91
03-15-2008, 11:43 AM

1. Fuel

2. Air

3. Spark

Check all.

Think man. If its not even turning over how is he going to check these?

slow_hatch
03-15-2008, 11:52 AM

1. Fuel

2. Air

3. Spark

Check all.

4. Starter