PDA

View Full Version : Tail Light tint laws.

Lucky.
03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know whats the darkest legal tint on tail lights in the state of GA?
I tried googling it but couldnt find anything on it. Info will be greatly appreciated.

Schugg
03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
i dont know it, but from what i remember its something to do with there is a reflective peice in all tail lights, so that even when they are not on a car behind you can see you in the dark (like if your parked off the side of a road), as long as the tint is not so dark that reflection cant be seen it should be fine. if it doesnt let enough light through to reflect back its to dark

joecoolfreak
03-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know whats the darkest legal tint on tail lights in the state of GA?
I tried googling it but couldnt find anything on it. Info will be greatly appreciated.

Unless your car came from the factory with tinted taillights, any tint is illegal. Modifying your tail lights in any way is illegal in GA as well as most other states.

Nick Jeezy
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
as long as when you step on the brake light you can visabbly see it then its fine. they pull me over all the time. and just make me step on the brake to see how much light is let thru.

Lucky.
03-13-2008, 10:49 PM
as long as when you step on the brake light you can visabbly see it then its fine. they pull me over all the time. and just make me step on the brake to see how much light is let thru.

how dark are yours?

Nick Jeezy
03-13-2008, 11:06 PM
they are sprayed, but it looks right about 5%

wantboost
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Unless your car came from the factory with tinted taillights, any tint is illegal. Modifying your tail lights in any way is illegal in GA as well as most other states.
:goodjob:

Lucky.
03-13-2008, 11:36 PM

If that's so, I guess I MIGHT get some 1st gen tC tail lights.

E=MC˛
03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
i got my civics done at 5%. it looked black. i put leds in it so you could see through. 4 month and i never had a problem. i gave them to my friend last year and he hasnt had any problems either.

Nitro
03-14-2008, 09:14 AM

truth.

speedminded
03-14-2008, 09:21 AM
I tried googling it but couldnt find anything on it. Info will be greatly appreciated.Any modifying of a DOT approved product is 100% illegal in every single state.

To be technical about it the taillights, brake lights, and turn signals all must be completely visible from 200 feet during daylight hours.

Dietcoke
03-14-2008, 01:05 PM
By law, you can't modify or cover any portion of the taillight/sidemarket/headlight REFLECTORS (not the whole light itself). However, like speedminded said, there is a blanket coverall for modifying dot approved parts anyway.

Realistically, you can probably get away with it as long as light shines through clearly. It's a safety thing. I haven't yet got ticketed for these, but then again, light goes right through em, and I've got a plain set that isnt painted just for fix it tickets (though I haven't gotten one of those either) Ultimately, its up to the police officer to ticket you or not. Price you pay to play the game, its not really a big deal.

http://a94.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/l_d092c2f6c4e85e5d569484c0576d950d.jpg