PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Indecisive on what car to get...

ubers2k
03-13-2008, 10:24 AM
So, I'm looking to get something... soon.

I'm looking at either an '02 Honda S2000, '07 Volkswagen GTi, '08 Volkswagen Rabbit, '08 Cobalt SS, or (and yes, I know the car is played out) a '93 - '94 Nissan 240SX SE.

I'm really leaning towards the s2k, but I've seen quite a few Rabbits that have pulled my attention as well. The GTi, hell I want boost from the factory, same as the SS. And even though "everyone" has a 240, I still wanna get the ***** sideways. *sigh*

Any opinions?

Nissan Sean
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
the gti's are really nice, but if you get one used make sure to get a waranty. because VW &audi are not the most reliable cars and are expensive to fix. but they are great in every other aspect other than reliability. GL.

get a 350z :)

DieselNuts
03-13-2008, 10:31 AM
you have a wide variety of cars there. what do you want to do with it?

ubers2k
03-13-2008, 10:38 AM

The main reason I have that wide variety is because I work for Kauffman Tire. I drive all these different cars and in some way get drawn to them. If I get the s2k, I was thinking Comptech Supercharger (I have a local shop that can hook me up), but I also have a family discount with GM since my Uncle works as a production manager in Ohio, hence why I kinda want an SS.

The thing is, I want a street car. I'm currently working on building back up my step-fathers Porsche 924 and may use that as a track/auto x car. I want something that will handle and perform, MAYBE pushing 350 to the wheels.

I've admired the GTi for some time though because of the forced induction from the factory, but a few people (one being a co-worker that used to work for Audi/VW) are trying to shy me away from the cars altogether.

EJ25RUN
03-13-2008, 10:41 AM

yes that's /\ the first question you should ask.

The next question, what will QD think of me if i buy it?

.........so whats the deal with your SN if you dont have an S2K?

ubers2k
03-13-2008, 10:42 AM
yes that's /\ the first question you should ask.

The next question, what will QD think of me if i buy it?

Haha... QD... eh, I've honestly never had any issues with him, and I'm not gonna really race it. I got out of that after I sold my Eclipse 2 years back.

I want this car for me, not to show off to others.

*edit* the deal with my SN is due to the fact that I joined the Air Force. I was going to get one if everything panned out like I was hoping. Unfortunatly I was medically discharged. I've been a fan of the car ever since I first saw it on the showroom floors at the AJC auto show when it was first introduced. I was planning on changing my SN accordingly, depending on what car I end up with (ex. 2.5VWR if I get the Rabbit)

DieselNuts
03-13-2008, 10:43 AM
well, if you want to get sideways, you know the fwd choices are out of the question. I dont think I could ever own a fwd car unless it was strictly for gas milage/groceries. If you can get a hook up on GM products, why dont you wait for the new camaro? you no likey?

ubers2k
03-13-2008, 10:49 AM
well, if you want to get sideways, you know the fwd choices are out of the question. I dont think I could ever own a fwd car unless it was strictly for gas milage/groceries. If you can get a hook up on GM products, why dont you wait for the new camaro? you no likey?

The only car I would really want to slide (for cost purposes only) would be the 240. I just don't want to end up getting hit with the "hey look, another 240 owner thinks he's a drifter" bs. I've done it before, so I know the mechanics and what I'm doing, but I don't want this car JUST for that...

As for the Camaro, I would wait, but after seeing that oil barrels are going for $110 per, **** that. Gas alone would rape me.

DieselNuts
03-13-2008, 11:26 AM
well, im about to get an 03/04 cobra. If gas kills me too much, then Ill just get a bike too.

what kind of price range are you looking at?

OneSlow5pt0
03-13-2008, 11:43 AM
what kauffman do u work at?

and if ur wanting a SS,get a 08

ubers2k
03-13-2008, 12:05 PM
what kauffman do u work at?

and if ur wanting a SS,get a 08

yeah, I know. 260 hp turbocharged. I'll change that. lol

I work at the one off of Peachtree Industrial and Meginis (sp?) Ferry.

ubers2k
03-13-2008, 12:07 PM
well, im about to get an 03/04 cobra. If gas kills me too much, then Ill just get a bike too.

what kind of price range are you looking at?

I'm looking at anywhere from $17k to $25k. The only exception would be the 240, and if it's that car then 4 - 5 grand, tops.

'02 S2k I've seen at $17 - 18k
'08 Rabbits go for $15k and up depending
'08 GTi start at around $22 - 23k

I'm not sure what the new Cobalts go for, so I'll have to see what my uncle can get me into one for.

Ronsam2006
03-13-2008, 02:03 PM
S2k with Comptech Supercharger sounds really good.

Deke
03-13-2008, 02:35 PM
S2k with Comptech Supercharger sounds really good.

x2

MongolPup
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Stay away from wrong wheel drive lol

İhris
03-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Gen3 MR2 Turbo :)

OneSlow5pt0
03-13-2008, 04:43 PM
why not RWD and turbo...FD

or a supercharged MRS sounds nice too

ubers2k
03-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Stay away from wrong wheel drive lol

I just lol'd at this. Yeah, I know.

About the MR-S... I'm not really into those. I had to transport one to a different shop and it honestly just seemed like Toyota half-assed it there. I love the MR-2, but the MR-s just wasn't what I had hoped it would be.

I would love to have an FD, but from what I understand, working on them is a pain in the ass. I will look into the other suggestions though, see what I can work with price wise and insurance wise. Thanks for everyones input, and keep the suggestions/information coming. :goodjob:

RUFFIAN
03-14-2008, 11:16 AM
I am going to suggest a different car since you have a hook up at GM. the Pontiac Solstice GXP is rwd and boosted. It will kill the S2k and has a european suspension. I.E they handle great.

Dietcoke
03-14-2008, 01:49 PM
There isn't a thing european about the solstice, the sky, OR the european version of these cars. They're all american designed, built, and assembled with american parts.

Demsum
03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
The GTI's are great cars. I own one so i'm kinda biased. The only thing I don't like about mine is Fwd. The interior and sound system is the best of all the cars you have listed. The engine has power no matter where you are on the tach, but beware the manual transmission. When I was test driving the clutch pedal felt a mile long and so did the gear throws, which lead me to getting the DSG tranny. Besides chipping, good after market parts are expensive though. The s2000 is nice as well. I valet in downtown, and the s2k is one of my favorite cars to drive.

ubers2k
03-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Looks like most of the votes are for the S2k as well... I'm still looking at the other cars, including the suggestions. I still have a few months but I may start pricing real soon.

OneSlow5pt0
03-14-2008, 06:42 PM
maybe if ur wanting a V8

Trans AM
Camaro SS
Benz 500SL
Jaguar XK8
BMW 540

ubers2k
03-14-2008, 07:08 PM
maybe if ur wanting a V8

Trans AM
Camaro SS
Benz 500SL
Jaguar XK8
BMW 540

As much as I would love a V8, gas is a HUGE factor now. That's one of the reasons why all the cars I listed are I4s.

Lucky.
03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
get a 350z :)

F that, get a STI