PDA

View Full Version : Headlights restoration help

bboystyles
03-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Does anyone know how to restore headlights? I just bought some used ones and they look like shiat. Or if theres a place in the gwinnett/lilburn area that does them. I tried sanding down the oxidation and applying plastic polish and yeh that didnt work. :D thanks ahead

changaroo
03-12-2008, 11:59 PM
plastic-x!

j0nbunklah0m
03-13-2008, 12:00 AM
use a hammer n chizel to scrape off the oxidation :o jk..

bboystyles
03-13-2008, 12:04 AM
plastic-x!

funny because I keep hearing that... Does it really work?:thinking: after my attempted at sanding and polishing, its worst now then before lol its so foggy and not clear

bboystyles
03-13-2008, 12:06 AM
use a hammer n chizel to scrape off the oxidation :o jk..

lol yeh honestly at this point it dont really sound like a bad idea

changaroo
03-13-2008, 12:17 AM
funny because I keep hearing that... Does it really work?:thinking: after my attempted at sanding and polishing, its worst now then before lol its so foggy and not clear

what kind of headlights do you have?

if the oxidation is 100% on the outside and not inside, plastic-x works wonders.

yudalicious
03-13-2008, 12:23 AM

did you polish by hand? if you coat it water does it get clear and go to opaque when the water dries? that means you haven't polished it enough.
I usually use around 1000 grit then 1500 and wet sand the lens by hand. after that you need to use a rubbing compound. I've tried several diff ones but the best I've found was 3M's rubbing compound, designed specifically for polishing 2000+ grit sandpaper jobs. I found it at pepboys about $10 for a bottle that'll last you a long time. now w/ the rubbing compound it takes forever to actually polish it to clear, if you have a drimmel that may work very well; I used a drill with a wal mart bought attachment with polishing cloth. But be very careful w/ drills, be very light with them when polishing. the end result was very good, I followed it up with some plastic cleaner/polisher. You can toy with finishing it off w/some sort of clear coat or wax.
You'll need to resand after several months if you park your car out in the sun, but like I said the $10 bottle lasts a while (good stuff) and the whole process can be done in under 30 minutes. gl.

B_Hoov
03-13-2008, 06:36 AM
did you polish by hand? if you coat it water does it get clear and go to opaque when the water dries? that means you haven't polished it enough.
I usually use around 1000 grit then 1500 and wet sand the lens by hand. after that you need to use a rubbing compound. I've tried several diff ones but the best I've found was 3M's rubbing compound, designed specifically for polishing 2000+ grit sandpaper jobs. I found it at pepboys about $10 for a bottle that'll last you a long time. now w/ the rubbing compound it takes forever to actually polish it to clear, if you have a drimmel that may work very well; I used a drill with a wal mart bought attachment with polishing cloth. But be very careful w/ drills, be very light with them when polishing. the end result was very good, I followed it up with some plastic cleaner/polisher. You can toy with finishing it off w/some sort of clear coat or wax.
You'll need to resand after several months if you park your car out in the sun, but like I said the $10 bottle lasts a while (good stuff) and the whole process can be done in under 30 minutes. gl.

very well said

bboystyles
03-17-2008, 06:45 PM
^^ I agree with onebaddXJ@teamFX, Yudalicious!...YuDaMan!! thanks everyone for your input