PDA

View Full Version : Auto 2 Manual

E=MC˛
03-11-2008, 05:48 PM
My friend is wanted to go from auto to manual in his civic. how hard is that going to be? putting in the clutch cylinder and peddle? any special parts i should take off the parts car? thanks guys

EmminoDaGreat
03-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Its not too bad, just time consuming, need clutch and brake pedal,shift linkage, tranny mounts for 5 spd, clutch, flywheel, bolts, master cyl,slave cyl, hard lines, and depending on the year civic, some other things will need to be done.

hondachik
03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
woot woot, I needed the answer to this as well =)

KevinT707
03-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Auto to Manual is for losers!

Luckily no one remembers when my car was an auto though :D!

hondachik
03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Auto to Manual is for losers!

Luckily no one remembers when my car was an auto though :D!

ur a loser. and I remember panda bear. I remember.

changaroo
03-11-2008, 06:46 PM
dont forget the ecu & intake manny.

Wurm
03-11-2008, 06:52 PM
I just got my car back today from the shop from my automatic to manual conversion on my 1994 Civic EX (EJ1). Now, this car is SOO much fun to drive now that it's a manual. I did a lot of reading here on HT before I started buying parts.

I wanted to be absolutley sure that I had every part nessacary so when I took my car to the shop to get it swapped they would be able to do it as fast as possible. A lot of the information (mainly parts lists) I read here on Honda-Tech was incomplete or just completey wrong.

Thus I have compliled a complete parts list while it's still fresh in my head so other people don't run into the same problems as I did. As a note, this swap was done on my EG and the parts list is for an EG. Now, I used strictly EG parts because I 100% sure that they would work. Now, I do not know if you'll be able to use EK/DC parts on your EG you'll have to try that on your own, now I am running a d16z6 motor, so all my parts are D series parts.

The parts I'm listing are from EG Civics. Now, with each part I list I will go into detail where you can buy it and what it's function is.

Transmission - This is by far the biggest part that you'll be having to purchase. You'll need to buy one that is compatible with your motor D/B/H series which ever motor you have. From my reading, I've learned that all D series motors are 's20' transmissions. I bought my tranny from a local import, reason being because it had low mileage and it came with a warranty. The only downside to this is that I did not know what kind of car is was coming out of, DX, LX, EX etc. I was lucky and got an EX/Si tranny. Any D series transmission will work on your D series motor. You can find this part at local junkyards/transmission shops.

Clutch/Flywheel/Pressure Plate - These parts are obvious in their function. I used an OEM style clutch/flywheel and pressure plate. Now, the comboinations for these are endless. Use whatever brand/style you prefer. This is one part that I HIGHLY recommend buying brand new so you don't run into any problems later on. This is one of the few parts that can take constant abuse from the driver. You can purchase these across various internet websites and autopart stores.

Starter - You will need a manual starter for your new manual transmission, your automatic one will not line up correctly, thus not allowing it to work. Again, this is a part that I would recommend buying brand new because it's a very crucial part to driving your car. Again, you can purchase these at autopart stores/internet websites.

Clutch Resovir - This peice holds your clutch fluid and also the master cylindar sits on the opposite side of it. This is a part that you can buy used from a local junkyard.

Hydraulic Lines - These steel lines run from the clutch resovir, and connect to the slave cylindar. Now, there are two pieces of this line. One that connects to the cluch resovir, and the other to the slave and these two peices meet in the middle.

Slave Cylindar - This part connects to your transmission. I was lucky and my tranny already had one on it. You can purchase this part at a local junkyard.

Master Cylindar - Like I stated earlier, this peice sits on the other side of your clutch resovir and connects to the clutch pedal itself. This is a piece that I got lost on. My master cylindar never came with the cotter pin that is needed. Now, this peice connects to master cylindar to the clutch pedal itself and allows you to engage the clutch. You can find this part at an junkyard.

ECU - This is the computer portion of your car and allows it to run effectivley. You will need a manual one for which ever motor you're running. Now, you can turn you're existing automatic ECU into a manual one. Now, I'm not sure how to go about this process, I just found it easier to buy a new one. Now, I found that most junkyards don't carry these on hand. I bought mine from Honda-Tech.

Pedal Assembly - You're going to need new pedals for this. Although, you can use your existing AT Brake/Gas pedal the clutch and brake will sit EXTREAMLY close together and could result in hazerdous driving. This part can be purchased from a junkyard.

Throttle Cable - This is the part that I never had and never knew I would need. My EG At throttle cable WOULD NOT work due to this mechanism that is found the on the AT gas pedal. With the manual pedal, the cable has a bigger end that goes into the car and allows it to sit securly on the gas pedal. Again, can be purchased from a junkyard.

Shift Linkage - This the peice that connects the shifter to the transmission and allows you to shift gears. As long as these peices aren't bent it will function properly. Again, junkyard for this peice.

Manual Console Piece - Your AT console peice will not work with a shift boot (well, you can modify it). I found one in mint condition for cheap, so I just picked that up. Junkyard it.

Shift Boot - Now, you don't 'need' this part or the shift boot for the car to function properly it just cleans up the interior. Junk yard it.

Shift Knob - Peice that sits on the top of the shifter. Junkyard it.

Shifter - Now, you may want to use an OEM shifter or a short shifter. I use a Tenzo short shifter and I'm happy with it. Junkyard or website/autoparts store.

Shifter Bushings - You'll need several bushings for the shift linkage so it sits nice and tight, I purchased these parts brand new from Honda.

Mounts - A lot of people are under the belief that you can use an OEM top manual mount on your automatic chassi. This is incorrect, well you can use one but you will need to weld it to the tranny. I picked up a mount from JDMSh!t.com, the good thing about this mount is that it's made for an automatic chassi, and also a manual transmission. It's 100% bolt up. Placeracing.com/Hasport also make similar mounts.

Now, I mentioned 'mounts'. Yes, you will need more than one. I just mentioned the upper mount, the other mount is referred to as the front/lower mount. You can use an OEM manual mount for this one, it'll bolt directly to the frame of the car.

Inspection Plate - This is one peice that I had NEVER heard of. Basically, it sits on the bottom of the transmission and is sort of like a splash guard for the transmission. Junk yard for it as well.

Now, I know I'm forgetting something. I just know I am. If I'm missing anything, feel free to update this. But these are the parts I used for my AT/MT swap and it runs great!!

hondachik
03-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Wurm...I love you for this post. I have an EJ..not sure how much this would help me, but I dunno if I need to keep a D series motor, or just change to a vtec B16. I have a D16y7 right now.

Wurm
03-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Wurm...I love you for this post. I have an EJ..not sure how much this would help me, but I dunno if I need to keep a D series motor, or just change to a vtec B16. I have a D16y7 right now.
no problem copied it from honda tech..... I havent done my swap about to do one in a del slow when im done sourcing parts. Shouldnt be too hard im in no rush

d16_turbo
03-11-2008, 09:50 PM
i did one in a 00 civic ex in about 4 hours. it isnt hard at all

changaroo
03-11-2008, 10:45 PM
^ its cause you are a car modding beast. :D

j0nbunklah0m
03-11-2008, 11:01 PM
very useful info! reps wurm

E=MC˛
03-12-2008, 11:13 AM
yeah its going in a 94 civic ex. were getting the motor trans and ecu all together. also the pedal assembly and clutch cylinder. the guy at the junk yard is letting us take whatever we need for 700. so i wanted to know what to grab while i was there.

d16_turbo
03-12-2008, 05:26 PM
another thing i had to do was remove the shifter cable holder under the car right where the shifter goes through the exhaust tunnel. There was about 8 spot welds that i had to drill out. Not sure if this was already posted but i didnt feel like reading this whole thread

FasTech
03-16-2008, 12:03 AM
Oh god man, I just got done helping a buddy with a auto to manual swap on his 95 civic and it drove me crazy. Its real simple but it takes time. took us 2days not to bad for 2 17yr old car nuts, only problem was with the clutch resiviour.