PDA

View Full Version : how can i learn how to ride a bike if i dont have one???

Marta Mike
08-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Not not a bicycle a motorcycle-lol

99ITRGIRL
08-10-2005, 06:38 PM
hmmm...just sit in a chair and make the vroom vroom sounds. Or ride a bicycle and put the cardboard between the spokes. lol Or if you have a friend who has a bike, I havnt learned, but I have ridden one! lol That good enough?

Marta Mike
08-10-2005, 06:39 PM
not really-lol

Tracy
08-10-2005, 06:39 PM
you can try to do one of thos games at d&B this sunday

chuck
08-10-2005, 06:40 PM
take the state's motorcycle course...eli just took it and got his full liscence in a weekend and has been out riding on his own weekends since then...they supply the bikes to learn on, all you have to to is sign up ahead of time, pay and bring a helmet, gloves and boots.

PSINXS
08-10-2005, 06:40 PM
take lessons. several places in ga offers lessons and provide bikes

99ITRGIRL
08-10-2005, 06:41 PM
i didnt know u can take lessons. huh. ok, not very good at this bike stuff. i tried. lol :)

Marta Mike
08-10-2005, 06:42 PM
take the state's motorcycle course...eli just took it and got his full liscence in a weekend and has been out riding on his own weekends since then...they supply the bikes to learn on, all you have to to is sign up ahead of time, pay and bring a helmet, gloves and boots.
Do i have to pay for anything? Once i finish the course i get my license? Oh and where can i go to find out where these placees are?

Sirius R
08-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Go rent a scooter. Take out the insurance....and wear a helmet.

99ITRGIRL
08-10-2005, 06:45 PM
oh my

HyPer50
08-10-2005, 06:45 PM
buy you a cheap relativly weak bike... learn on it, then sell it. Thats what I plan on doing eventually.

Marta Mike
08-10-2005, 06:47 PM
buy you a cheap relativly weak bike... learn on it, then sell it. Thats what I plan on doing eventually.
well the beginner bikes are fairly cheap, round 3k or so. So i figure i learn how to ride one and get me one for christmas or spring time. Thats if i stick to saving money for it-lol. So i really dont wanna go about going through two bikes.

PSINXS
08-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Do i have to pay for anything? Once i finish the course i get my license? Oh and where can i go to find out where these placees are?
the cost of the course, a helmet, gloves, and boots. go to the dmv for starters

HyPer50
08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
well the beginner bikes are fairly cheap, round 3k or so. So i figure i learn how to ride one and get me one for christmas or spring time. Thats if i stick to saving money for it-lol. So i really dont wanna go about going through two bikes.

What I was gonna do is just buy one of the 600cc sport bikes. Not slow by any means, but I've heard they make pretty good "beginner bikes" as long as your careful... which I'm sure when you've seen what can happen on a bike, you'll definatly be careful.

Marta Mike
08-10-2005, 06:54 PM
LOL

ahmonrah
08-10-2005, 06:54 PM
i learned by:
1) walking up to a motorcyclist chilling at frozen palace one sunday night...
2) talking to him while looking over what a "nice" bike he has (keys in ignition still).
3) punching him like CONAN the barbarian did the camel.
4) hopping on and doing whatever it took to get me away from his friends!
5) and damn it you know what ?? that meant riding a motorcycle!

nah, i'm kidding! i'm not a criminal. but i learned by just hopping on a friend of mines' bike. and in like 90 my dad gave me pointers on his goldwing. but that's the way i like to learn. i learned how to swim by jumping off the highest diving board into the 12foot end of the pool. there's one thing about potentiall dying, it will show you how to live!

Sirius R
08-10-2005, 06:56 PM
I managed to get hold of a 1991 Ninja 250EX....tiny but it had 490 miles on it and it only cost my $250.

I didn't buy it as a beginner bike, just sooo cheap and tons of fun. It was like a street legal mini bike. Might be worth looking into.

Marta Mike
08-10-2005, 06:56 PM
248cc for me-lmao

Marta Mike
08-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Ok well the honda place down the street from my house offers course for 250 bike and helmet included. So once i take this course is there anything else i need to get my license?

chuck
08-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Ok well the honda place down the street from my house offers course for 250 bike and helmet included. So once i take this course is there anything else i need to get my license?
make sure you aren't signing up for the honda dirt bike classes...i know they offer those too.

Marta Mike
08-10-2005, 07:18 PM
lol yea i know. They got street bike and dirt bike classes.

Sirius R
08-10-2005, 07:19 PM
nope. Now I recieved my license in Jersey...so shit might be differant in GA.

RISKYB
08-10-2005, 07:22 PM
GA dot or something has a program its two days long they teach you train you test you and after its done you can get your license and they supply the bikes

cost is around 250.00-350.00

ruah_23
08-10-2005, 11:34 PM
There's a few classes in Alpheretta where they teach u how to ride a bike the right way.Cost arnd 300 bucks I think, but it's worth it:)

civic95
08-11-2005, 06:30 AM
I would definitely suggest taking a 2-day course. Almost anyone can jump on a bike and learn to ride, but the course will teach you things you never thought of as far as safety. How to ride defensively, what to do in specific situations (someone pulls out in front of you, etc). Not to mention you get an insurance discount. And make sure you get a good jacket or suit. I've seen what happens when you go down in jeans and t-shirt at 65 mph.

Tarzanman
08-19-2005, 12:59 AM
What I was gonna do is just buy one of the 600cc sport bikes. Not slow by any means, but I've heard they make pretty good "beginner bikes" as long as your careful... which I'm sure when you've seen what can happen on a bike, you'll definatly be careful.

Mmm, while thats possible... you're really handicapping yourself by doing that for a few reasons.

First off, you have to be a *lot* more careful on a 600cc sports bike (the R6, GSXR-600, and ninja 600). Flicking your wrist 90 degrees too far = wheelie on a bike like that. Being more careful (so as not to die or get hurt) means that you're going to learn at a slower pace than someone on a twin cylinder 500cc or even 250cc (which a fair amount of people do find to be too weak) bike.

Second, you're going to drop your bike. I just got my first bike, and I'm dreading dropping it because I dont' want to jack up the fairings. Its not a question of 'if', its a question of when and how. Most riders will agree its better to drop a $1.5k cheap bike than a ~$3.5k sporty model... esp if you're starting off and might drop it more than once.

Third, insurance! How old are you? You're going to pay significantly more to insure your rice-fueled sporty crotch rocket.

Fourth, the riding position. On a sport bike puts a significant portion of your body weith onto your arms... on the handlebars. This makes learning more awkward, a little less balanced and a lot more tiring. Who needs that when you're concentrating on trying to not die by hitting something or getting hit by something.

Now i'm not saying that its impossible to go the 600 sportbike route... I have a friend whose first bike was a gsxr-600, but he was a level headed ~28 yr old with a steady job and no desire to put himself in the hospital.
I know there are riders out there that disagree with me, but these are usually squids that can't wait to attempt burnouts/wheelies, and think that MSF isn't all that important (i'm taking MSF next month).

If you absolutely MUST start off on a 600cc bike, then go with the lower horsepower models like a katana or an fzr

David88vert
08-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Get a GS500E or EX500. Go get your motorcycle learners permit. Take the MSF course. Have some more experienced RESPONSIBLE riders help you learn.

Tarzanman
08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Get a GS500E or EX500. Go get your motorcycle learners permit. Take the MSF course. Have some more experienced RESPONSIBLE riders help you learn.

I already took that advice. Check out the '89 GS500 I just got
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~am128/gs500.jpg

She's got '04 parts on her, but her frame and engine is all '89.

wannab20hatch
08-20-2005, 08:43 PM
im starting out on a gixxer 600. Ive ridden dirt bikes and shit almost as long as i can remember so im fairly comfortable on a bike. Just get a bike YOU are comfortable on and take it slow and youll be alright. Also like david said go out with other riders. On www.GeorgiaSportbike.com they are always putting together "newbie rides"

chuck
08-20-2005, 09:49 PM
good info in here, and this question comes up a lot...sticky'd :goodjob:

ducrider
08-21-2005, 12:11 PM
i am one that believes in starting with a smaller bike to learn the basics of starting, stopping, cornering, etc - but lets face it, you're an adult and can make your own decision as to what bike you want to buy. like all riders there are those who have wrecked and those who will, so think about that when you're looking to buy your first bike. The GS500 and EX500 make nice starter bikes as well as the Bandit 600 (Suzuki). After 6months to a year you'll be ready for the bigger cc bikes... :2cents:

MSTANGSALEEN
09-14-2005, 04:58 PM
hmmm...just sit in a chair and make the vroom vroom sounds. Or ride a bicycle and put the cardboard between the spokes. lol Or if you have a friend who has a bike, I havnt learned, but I have ridden one! lol That good enough? LOL!

HiPSI
09-14-2005, 05:57 PM
im starting out on a gixxer 600. Ive ridden dirt bikes and shit almost as long as i can remember so im fairly comfortable on a bike. Just get a bike YOU are comfortable on and take it slow and youll be alright. Also like david said go out with other riders. On www.GeorgiaSportbike.com they are always putting together "newbie rides"

the dirtbike excuse is the oldest one in the book... speaking from personal experience i rode dirtbikes for many years before hopping onto a sportbike. you may learn the clutch/gas/brakes idea on the dirtbike, but the similarity ends there. it feels entirely different to ride a 600ss bike compared to any dirtbike.

dp32185
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
you can come learn on my 500cc. you can learn for free, but if you drop you buy. :D

Shyboixvt
03-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I learned on a suzuki katana 600. I think it was perfect. It's got go if you punch it but its also great to go slow on. I've known people that have gotten 250's and 500's. They say that it was a bad idea because they got tired of the small engine fast... but thats them... some people learn slower than others. so maybe a small bike is good if you wanna take ur time. but i think my 600 was fine.

by the way... its for sale if anyone is interested. 95' suzuki katana 600. brand new paint and tires. PM me if interested.

AndrewAtl
04-08-2006, 11:00 PM
I learned on '03 ninja 250R, but i got a yamaha yzf 600r, and the yamaha is much easier to ride,more stable, and it's softer, but it much heavyer. I got tired of small ninja engine after 1 month.

Wurm
04-26-2006, 10:24 PM
yeah go ride some friends dirtbike's that will give you the feel for how to ride pretty much

EJ25RUN
06-03-2006, 08:27 PM
good read!

rednblacksvt
07-04-2006, 03:07 AM
I never rode, bought a bike and took the license test... someone may have already mentioned this but... they offer riders safety courses throughout georgia, you can get the schedule off the gadmvs website, its like 250 and once you pass, you have a certificate for your license, and the school provides the bike,... for instance, at earl small's harley davidson they let you put around on buell blasts, and its only 4 day course.

triumph speed four...

EG BTER
09-11-2006, 01:34 PM
http://www.dds.ga.gov/Training/motor/index.aspx

or

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Rider_Education/new_rider_course.jsp?locale=en_US

GIXXERDK
09-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Get a permit $15
Take MSF course $250, includes bike and is a 3 day course
You get a full licence after you pass.

bigb996
09-20-2006, 10:31 AM
i woud not by any means recomend starting on a 600cc. I have riden my friends 06 gsxr 600 and they are not in any way shape or form noob friendly. If you treasure your life, you will start smaller and work your way up. My advice:

Take MSF course
get all your gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, etc)
get a smaller bike such as ninja 250, or 500, or even something like a gs500f thats full fairing. www.sportbikes.net has some great info on there int he newbs section.

Most people only ridet here for bike for 6 months or so, and then sell it for what they paid for it, and move up.

O and FYI starting on a dirtbike means nothing. like was stated before, you learned howt o shift and were the location of things are. Past that its nowere the same.

ALVIN
09-29-2006, 08:00 AM
http://www.dds.ga.gov/Training/motor/index.aspx

or

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Rider_Education/new_rider_course.jsp?locale=en_US (http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Rider_Education/new_rider_course.jsp?locale=en_US)

^^ THanks for the info...I myself am starting on something most people would discourage for a beginner. 06 RC51

GIXXERDK
09-30-2006, 12:57 AM
^^ THanks for the info...I myself am starting on something most people would discourage for a beginner. 06 RC51

lol wtf, just be careful and never let your ego get in the way.

Jaszen1
09-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Same here i am fairly new to the motorcycle game and I have recently purchased a 06 gsx-r 600. I love it any newbs wanna practice around atlanta let me know im up for a learning experience

GIXXERDK
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Same here i am fairly new to the motorcycle game and I have recently purchased a 06 gsx-r 600. I love it any newbs wanna practice around atlanta let me know im up for a learning experience
I'm in Dunwoody, still consider myself new but I'll be willing to help someone out.

BlkMKII
11-14-2006, 09:00 PM
i started out on a 93 gsxr 600 the thing about it was it ran with low compression so you know it had no where near the power it should have had so i feel it was a great bike to learn on.

SL65AMG
12-22-2006, 09:36 AM

harley has a program where they teach you. you get your license AND you get a 10-15% reduction in insurance