PDA

View Full Version : popping out of 3rd gear or wont go in 3rd gear

vancem3m3
03-09-2008, 02:25 PM
popping out of 3rd gear or wont go in 3rd gear sometimes mostly at low rpm or at normal shift if im in high rpm or shifting fast it takes the gear this is in a LS trannt( hydro) with lsd

integra82786
03-09-2008, 10:56 PM
synchros may be ****ed, check your fluid level as well. does it happen in 5th ever?

jadakid88
03-09-2008, 11:38 PM
^^^^WHAT HE SAID! TIME FOR REBUILD! SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!

vancem3m3
03-10-2008, 06:17 AM
3rd only

fucksohc
03-10-2008, 09:31 AM
synchros are probably messed up...
or is could be the barrings on your input shaft are shot and you need to rebuild the tranny...
take the tranny off and see if the input shaft wiggles...
if so you need a rebuild... it could mess up your clutch if you dont fix/replace the tranny if the input shaft is bad...

Init2winit
03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Why the **** do people always say "its probably a synchronizer" when they have transmission problems? Do you even know what a synchronizer is, or what it does? How do you even know the trans has synchronizers? What if it has blocker rings? Does that mean they are bad? And just for the record, a synchronizer will NEVER make a transmission pop out of gear. In most cases, by the time a synchronizer, or blocker ring goes bad, you have other issues as well.

GA drifter
03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
i kinda had the same problems man it sounds like the sencroes. Thats were i would start.

GA drifter
03-10-2008, 10:40 PM
i kinda had the same problems man it sounds like the sencroes. Thats were i would start.

GA drifter
03-10-2008, 10:42 PM
the man is right usually it just want let it go in sometime but by the time it really starts to get bad somethin has came apart trust me i know then u got a even bigger problem

integra82786
03-11-2008, 05:32 PM
synchros are the rings that line up and actually engage the gear. over time the teeth on the rings wear out and either don't grab correctly, or they don't hold when in gear. eventually it will cause wear on your actual drive gears and those will go out from friction and metal particals. unfortunately it does sound like time for a rebuild or a new tranny.

VickNotic
03-14-2008, 09:55 PM
just thought i put in my experience with my problems with my GSR hydro tranny.. . it was not my 3rd gear but it was my 5th gear.. it would sometimes pop out of gear.. if i get on it.. but if i drive it normal it'll hold .. but if a load is on it like .. going up a hill.. it will pop out.. later on.. I figure .. i just sell the tranny .. how it is... but i took it to ixp and he sugggested that i change out my axles & replace tranny fluid .. and suggested .. honda motor oil .. so I didn't change out axles but i drained out old tranny fluid and replaced with honda motor oil.. and it FIXED my problem.. no popping out nothing..

and i was going to give it away for $200.. so if you have time change out your tranny fuilds and prolly wanna make sure.. you got enuff motor oil in there as well.. and eversince that.. i'm still using the same tranny.. til this day.. and this was last year spring... and i have been using genuine honda motor oil since..

thought i let you know..dont know but just my input on xperience.. :)

Pavlo
03-16-2008, 12:30 AM
check the linkages, shifter stabilizer bushings. If both are good then a bent shift fork or possibly the syncro, and yes worn out syncro/ dog gears can make the car pop out of gear.
Either way, if the first 2 things are good then time for a rebuild.

Init2winit
03-17-2008, 12:05 AM
check the linkages, shifter stabilizer bushings. If both are good then a bent shift fork or possibly the syncro, and yes worn out syncro/ dog gears can make the car pop out of gear.
Either way, if the first 2 things are good then time for a rebuild.Synchronizer will never make a transmission pop out of gear EVER. The one and ONLY thing a synchronizer is for is engagement. God Damn you people are stupid. People should be shot for giving advice on stuff they obviously know nothing about.

Kaiser
03-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Synchronizer will never make a transmission pop out of gear EVER. The one and ONLY thing a synchronizer is for is engagement. God Damn you people are stupid. People should be shot for giving advice on stuff they obviously know nothing about.

You're right. A bad synchro probably wouldn't cause the car to come out of gear. Unless there was vibration that was causing the collar to slide out of place, which would probably be related to bad rings...if it was related to anything at all... If his entire problem is summed up by his third gear issues then it could be a collar-to-gear connection that's not right, maybe a ground out third gear or a damaged shaft. Trying to guess at transmission problems is like trying to guess where the winning lottery ticket is going to be sold. Most of the time even if you get it right it was more luck than knowledge.

Though I agree with Init2Winit, I don't see how a bad synchro cone could cause a gear to come loose.