PDA

View Full Version : Don't you have to have an engineering degree to cal yourself an engineer?

Tracy
03-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Just curious. I saw that someone had " X engineer" as his occupation. I think it is unlawful to call yourself an engineer without a degree. I was JW if anyone knows anything about this. There were some issues wen we had engineering in our name....until they found out Dan has an engineering degree. There is no real point to the question...just a random thought.

Spektrewing386
03-09-2008, 12:30 PM
maybe that someone is an engineer of X's. meaning they can skillfully draw the letter X without it looking like a half drawn infinity symbol.

bigdare23
03-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Even with an engineering degree you can't call yourself one. You have to pass the FET, have 5 years of experience, then pass the PE. Then you can call yourself one.

Tracy
03-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Even with an engineering degree you can't call yourself one. You have to pass the FET, have 5 years of experience, then pass the PE. Then you can call yourself one.

That's what I thought. Thanks :)

The X was meant to not call out the person with "so and so engineer" as their occupation....not as in extacy.

Dracc
03-09-2008, 12:43 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks :)

The X was meant to not call out the person with "so and so engineer" as their occupation....not as in extacy.

not really.. everyone calls them selves engineers.. you are what.. A drifting engineer...

drug dealers are street distribution engineers

janitors are custodial engineers...

Mcdonalds employee's are nutrionist.

titles get thrown around these days to where it doesnt matter anymore

Tracy
03-09-2008, 12:50 PM
not really.. everyone calls them selves engineers.. you are what.. A drifting engineer...

drug dealers are street distribution engineers

janitors are custodial engineers...

Mcdonalds employee's are nutrionist.

titles get thrown around these days to where it doesnt matter anymore

For legal purposes it matters. In general, I understand what you are saying.

Dracc
03-09-2008, 12:52 PM
For legal purposes it matters. In general, I understand what you are saying.

oh yeah... legal purposes yeah.. if a guy calls him self an electrical engineer and wires up your house and you get shocked or something.. its on him for false representation... but in general conversation.. you'll hear it all the time .. makes people feel bigger

Got Milk?
03-09-2008, 01:00 PM
oh yeah... legal purposes yeah.. if a guy calls him self an electrical engineer and wires up your house and you get shocked or something.. its on him for false representation... but in general conversation.. you'll hear it all the time .. makes people feel bigger

LIRL

4dmin
03-09-2008, 01:13 PM
engineer is a commonly used title in alot of fields including IT.. I've held numerous engineer titles such as Software Engineer or Network Engineer, etc... doesn't have anything to do w/ degree in IT.

Nemesis
03-09-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/engineer

Blitanicle99
03-09-2008, 01:29 PM
I work in the machine tool business and coil processing. We also do stamping work. The guy that runs our presses has no degree but is an engineer, has been doing this for 20+ years. He may not have learned it in school but by god he can do anything and more than someone that went to school for civil engineering because of experience.

YoungGun
03-09-2008, 01:34 PM
You can call yourself whatever job title you want, you just can't legally use it in your business name to denote you are an engineering firm of any type unless you are certified. Not sure why it would have been a problem for you guys unless the idea was that you "engineered" your products so the title had to be legally correct.

Dracc
03-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I build engines near my old house.. that makes me an engineer right

Julio
03-09-2008, 02:24 PM
***** engineering.;.yup.. legal or not.

RandomGuy
03-09-2008, 05:48 PM
isn't a person who drives a coal train called an engineer LIRL I don't think they even had engineering degrees back then.

Speaking of engineers, a certain engineer I know didn't receive any contact from a certain n00b and is about to get really busy with other sh!t.

hahaha

Batlground
03-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Im a Office ENgineer

(secretary)

TheGrillMan
03-09-2008, 06:08 PM
kinda like how people in my line of work like to call them selves a "chef" yet they dont even know what the word means

but yes if you d nt have a degree

GTFO

Frög
03-09-2008, 06:31 PM
back in the day, you could become and engineer w/ out getting a degree but working for a company and trained for x amount of time..

One definition: The practical application of science to commerce or industry

You can't call yourself an electrical engineer or aeronautical engineer if you don't have the degree.. but there are alot of other BS engineering.. Its not like Dr. etc...

What engineering degree does Dan have?

RandomGuy
03-09-2008, 06:34 PM
back in the day, you could become and engineer w/ out getting a degree but working for a company and trained for x amount of time..

One definition: The practical application of science to commerce or industry

You can't call yourself an electrical engineer or aeronautical engineer if you don't have the degree.. but there are alot of other BS engineering.. Its not like Dr. etc...

What engineering degree does Dan have?teabag engineering

The Yousef
03-09-2008, 06:40 PM
i'm a sanitation engineer....that's how i get my work Visa to stay in this county...

Tracy
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
What engineering degree does Dan have?

Chemical.

BTW, we didn't have a problem per say. We just had someone mention it one time.

Slow Motion
03-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Pharmaceutical Processing & Distribution Engineer. It takes a Degree in Business Management & Marketing, Minors in Chemistry and Social Studies. A Certificate in Criminal Justice doesn't hurt either.