PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper Engine Swap?

BoostyMINI
03-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Ok so, I have a 2004 Mini Cooper. It has a SOHC 1.6L chrysler motor in it. Dodge Neons also have the same motor.

Now on to my question...:???:

I pretty sure I have seen an SRT-4 motor swapped in a regular Neon, so, would I be able to mount an SRT-4 motor?

I don't care if it will fit, I just need to know if it will mount.

I do know that 2.0L stroker motors can be swapped into the Minis.

B_Hoov
03-09-2008, 10:58 AM
i thought the mini's were made by bmw??? doesnt make sense that bmw would make them then put a chrysler motor in them, but i have seen stranger things. anything will fit into anything, you could put a 383 stroker in that thing if you had the $$$

AnTi-PooN
03-09-2008, 11:44 AM
i've seen a boosted b16 mini

B_Hoov
03-09-2008, 05:27 PM
i've seen a boosted b16 mini
are you talking about the older series? older guy owns it and shows it?

2rotor
03-09-2008, 06:33 PM
mini cooper is an E46 3-series electronically speaking. chrysler motor, renault transmission.
from what i hear, they are total POS cars, i dont work on too many at the shop (german car shop), but i do see them from time to time, always for service.

B_Hoov
03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
so bmw chassis, wiring etc...chrysler motor, and renault tranny...sounds like a postal vehicle!!!

BoostyMINI
03-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Definately not POS cars, BUT they do tend to have horrible gear boxes :( .

And Mini was made by BMW but broke away to form its own company in 2003 i think.

The Minis are great cars, its just the gear box that is a huge weakness.

Revmaynard
03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
so bmw chassis, wiring etc...chrysler motor, and renault tranny...sounds like a postal vehicle!!!

Reciepe for diaster. When has crossbreeding so much ever come out good? Lol.

NAIZBST
03-10-2008, 03:58 PM
wow big crossbreed

speedminded
03-10-2008, 03:58 PM
whoa, where's JennB when you need her?! BMW purchased Mini in 2001 and owned it since. You want a Mini,you go to the BMW dealership... ;)

MK I Mini 2001-2006
The "Mk I" MINI One, Cooper and Cooper S used a Brazilian-built Chrysler joint-venture engine, Tritec* engine, while the MINI One D used a Toyota-built diesel engine. In August 2006, BMW announced that engines would in future be built in the UK, making the car essentially British-built again, with final assembly at Cowley and the body pressings being made in nearby Swindon at BMW's Swindon Pressings Ltd subsidiary..."

*Tritec engine... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritec_engine

Mk II Mini 2007+
"The later "Mk II" MINI (or R56) uses the BMW-PSA 1.4/1.6 Prince 4 cylinder engine. The naturally-aspirated (non-turbo) versions of this engine use a system known as VALVETRONIC to control valves for optimum performance and/or efficiency. This MINI uses a drivetrain architecture based on that of the Peugeot 207 and the second generation Citroën C3."

JennB
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Definately not POS cars, BUT they do tend to have horrible gear boxes :( .

And Mini was made by BMW but broke away to form its own company in 2003 i think.

The Minis are great cars, its just the gear box that is a huge weakness.

Not the 6-speed GETRAG's. They are great. I had two of them. The CVT's (only in non-supercharged MINIs) are crap but I wouldn't own anything automatic anyway. The 05-06 6 speed tranny was the best.

The S model always had a GETRAG. The regular Cooper had midlands 5 speed and that was switched to a GETRAG 5 speed in 05. It also had an available CVT (yuk). Until 06, you could only get a supercharged S model in a fully manual 6-speed. They now offer a 6 speed auto with paddle shifters. I have heard very, very little complaint about this tranny.

They are not POS cars by any means. There is a reason why they have been in the top 2 or 3 for lowest depreciation for years. They are consistently very highly reviewed by just about any media source.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11962665/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11962665/)

MINI is very much owned by BMW. Ever look at any of your parts? Where are MINIs sold? If you buy a MINI who finances it? 1) They all say BMW 2) BMW dealerships 3) BMW Financial Services

The engine's from 02-06 were the Tritec motor built in Brazil. It's not the Neon motor. It was used in non-US built PT Cruisers. It's realted to the 2.0 in Neon's but it's not the same. Neon's don't even have a 1.6L. (read the link in the post above)

ETA: I'm right here... hahaha. I as typing and being constantly interrupted by coworkers. :lmfao:

BoostyMINI
03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Where the hell did I get my information from? WTF

Anyway from now on Im staying out of the damn british forums.

speedminded
03-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Where the hell did I get my information from? WTF

Anyway from now on Im staying out of the damn british forums.Since the British essentially build it now of course they are going to say anything beforehand is trash ;)

DinanM3atl
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Yup

They would say Rubbish though

BoostyMINI
03-12-2008, 08:48 PM
And all they freakin do is ***** in their furom

I also noticed how the american site does all the crazy **** to coopers and the brits talk about how the cooper is too weak to support power.

And they dont have there facts straight. damn, sometimes i wish i had a honda, is all so much simplier. Lose weight, put a h22 or Ls in and youre done.

BoostyMINI
03-12-2008, 08:48 PM
hahaha i didnt know it automatically bleeped out the words, thats really cool haha

quickdodgeŽ
03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
It has a SOHC 1.6L chrysler motor in it. Dodge Neons also have the same motor.

Lolol. Neons don't have a 1.6L engine. Theirs are 2.0. Later, QD.

BoostyMINI
03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, damn brits are idiots

quickdodgeŽ
03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Just remembered, in Britain, they did come with 1.8 and 1.6L engine. Over here, they've always been 2.0. Later, QD.