PDA

View Full Version : Misc Atheist Quotes (you have been warned)

Hulud
08-10-2005, 03:33 PM
you can see the title so please dont flame this if you dont agree with these quotes.

just found these funny as shit.

"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My
idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own,
so both of them together is certain death."
..........George Carlin

"If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children
would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of
crosses."
..........Lenny Bruce

C22H19N3O4
08-11-2005, 09:55 AM
"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." ----Albert Einstein

Hulud
04-17-2006, 08:19 PM
back from the dead

"No heaven to wait, no hell to fear"
-Crossbearer

metalman
04-17-2006, 09:05 PM
"If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children
would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of
crosses."
..........Lenny Bruce

There is actually a good bit of truth in this. But I am not just picking on catholics here. Having been somewhat of a 'geek' in the study of religious symbols I know a little about the cross.

1. It is one of the oldest pagan symbols known
2. It is the universal symbol of the sun/fertilty
3. Crucifixion was performed on a cross because the Romans worshipped the sun and all crucifixions were 'dual' purpose in that they got rid of the 'undesirables' and served also as a sacrifice to their sun god.
4. It, the cross, was the implement of torture in the death of Christ.

Now with those things in mind, ask yourself this question - if your child was killed in Iraq by a Russian made AK47 would you memorialize his/her death by decorating your house with AK47's??? Or pictures of them?? I think not.
Then what makes people think God wants crosses all over His house/church??? What makes man think God likes the emblem of torture and death? Why would He want one hanging around your neck? Or on your walls? etc etc

Other misc cross info...

The ankh is considered to be one of the oldest pagan symbols. It is often worn on jewlery. It is a cross (male in pagan/sun culture) intercected with a loop (female). The sexual union of male and female.

Two intersected crosses (a cross over a cross) make up the ancient solar
wheels of babylonian astrologic worship. Often an obelisk was placed in the middle to symbolize the phallus. For nice picture of one these look here....

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/european-union/vatican-city/st-peters-square.htm

or here for an overhead....

http://www.eurimage.com/gallery/imagery/qb/vatican.jpg

SniperJoe
04-17-2006, 10:34 PM
My favorite quote when dealing with people who keep tying morality/ethics to religion is one from Socrates,
"Is it right because God commands it, or does God command it because it is right?"

Hulud
04-17-2006, 10:47 PM
sorry just made the quote all on one line, it was buggin me lol

Hulud
04-17-2006, 10:48 PM
My favorite quote when dealing with people who keep tying morality/ethics to religion is one from Socrates,
"Is it right because God commands it, or does God command it because it is right?"
damn philosophers lol
thats a good one though, makes you think

RandomGuy
05-10-2006, 04:07 AM
There is actually a good bit of truth in this. But I am not just picking on catholics here. Having been somewhat of a 'geek' in the study of religious symbols I know a little about the cross.

1. It is one of the oldest pagan symbols known
2. It is the universal symbol of the sun/fertilty
3. Crucifixion was performed on a cross because the Romans worshipped the sun and all crucifixions were 'dual' purpose in that they got rid of the 'undesirables' and served also as a sacrifice to their sun god.
4. It, the cross, was the implement of torture in the death of Christ.

Now with those things in mind, ask yourself this question - if your child was killed in Iraq by a Russian made AK47 would you memorialize his/her death by decorating your house with AK47's??? Or pictures of them?? I think not.
Then what makes people think God wants crosses all over His house/church??? What makes man think God likes the emblem of torture and death? Why would He want one hanging around your neck? Or on your walls? etc etc

Other misc cross info...

The ankh is considered to be one of the oldest pagan symbols. It is often worn on jewlery. It is a cross (male in pagan/sun culture) intercected with a loop (female). The sexual union of male and female.

Two intersected crosses (a cross over a cross) make up the ancient solar
wheels of babylonian astrologic worship. Often an obelisk was placed in the middle to symbolize the phallus. For nice picture of one these look here....

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/european-union/vatican-city/st-peters-square.htm

or here for an overhead....

http://www.eurimage.com/gallery/imagery/qb/vatican.jpg

great post... Where/what did you do this research for. Out of curiosity, or for a paper/presentation or something?

I would like to learn more about this, I'm always up for some sort of new world order neo-conspiracy shit ;)