PDA

View Full Version : LS Vtec question

DaRussian
03-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Ok im thinking about swapping my ls to a LS vtec, As far as i know i will need the gsr head, vtec cylinoid and the gsr ecu is that right? can anybody give me some more info on what exactly i need? thanks

AnTi-PooN
03-08-2008, 08:56 AM
you need a complete head...

Mr. Clean
03-08-2008, 09:02 AM
you'll need a knock sensor and theres one more thing but i cant remember what it is... theres 3 v-tec things you need as far as wiring from non-vt to vt

bRiAnMcIvIcS
03-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Your gonna need some new high compression pistons and eagle forged rods. LS rods CAN NOT handle 8000rpm's, they were built to handle 6800rpm redline. Get a complete GSR head. Get a b18c or b16a tranny. With all the money your spending to do the Ls/vtec you should just boost the Ls. The Ls/vtec just doesnt seem like its worth the money to me. Your gonna have to do some serious head work like some badass cams, valve springs and retainers, flat hi-comp valves, valve seals, cam gears, valve seals, etc to make some decent power. With the Ls/vtec you might make 180whp. If you go the turbo route than get a garrett gt2860rs or some other smaller turbo that spools quick.

Just boost it at around 220whp and get a good tune.:goodjob:

southside
03-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Your gonna need some new high compression pistons and eagle forged rods. LS rods CAN NOT handle 8000rpm's, they were built to handle 6800rpm redline. Get a complete GSR head.dont need new high compression pistons ,but NEW is good you can use b16 pistons many dont recommend ctr's but its your motor.UHHH and make sure you get a girdle

DaRussian
03-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Your gonna need some new high compression pistons and eagle forged rods. LS rods CAN NOT handle 8000rpm's, they were built to handle 6800rpm redline. Get a complete GSR head. Get a b18c or b16a tranny. With all the money your spending to do the Ls/vtec you should just boost the Ls. The Ls/vtec just doesnt seem like its worth the money to me. Your gonna have to do some serious head work like some badass cams, valve springs and retainers, flat hi-comp valves, valve seals, cam gears, valve seals, etc to make some decent power. With the Ls/vtec you might make 180whp. If you go the turbo route than get a garrett gt2860rs or some other smaller turbo that spools quick.

Just boost it at around 220whp and get a good tune.:goodjob:

you got a good point there, im gonna have to think about that, i was just hoping to find like a blown gsr motor u know... and just take the stuff off ot it, but what are the chances of me finding that lol

killerdx
03-09-2008, 10:08 AM
its not that bad of a build. I built one and i loved it. u dont have to swap out rods, and b16 pistons would work fine.You would need to run a oil line of course, but golden eagle makes a ls/vtec kit, i wanna say it comes with headgasket,steel braided line, and everything else u need. And for the reving of it, just dont take it past 8000. Mine handled it fine, i did eventually blow it but that was from revving to like 9000, and no problems from the block it was from tha head,broke a valve.