PDA

View Full Version : just a quick question

vtecRULES
08-10-2005, 09:18 AM
hey a good buddy of mine who is the nephew of the owners brother in law of a very high end performance speed shop in alabama gave me some pointers in running the quarter mile in my civic. i just wanted to know where i can get some helium that will be able to fit in my tires. he said that the helium will make my car lighter for sure, and that ill lose like 25 pounds, which he said was a great way to do weight reduction. he says that they do that there for weight reduction and that people pay top dollar for helium filled tires. also, he said that not only will it be a great way for weight reduction, but it will also help me get a better timeslip, by taking off at least 2 tenths, if i drive the car very good, which i will most likely do, cause i am borderline race car driver. so my question to you is, where can i get the helium filled up into my tires? also, are led washer squirters illegal? thanks!

brian

AtifSajid
08-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Just go to party city..

Cliff
08-10-2005, 09:55 AM
yea party city and who cares if they are illegal they should be and they're ugly...btw blue ones are illegal

Bishop
08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
god, you again?

vtecRULES
08-10-2005, 10:06 AM
god, you again?

:2up: :jerkit: :jerkit: fuck you. its a legitimate question. im trying my best to type this too, cause last time you guys were bitching about my typing skillz. so here i am asking a good question and im still getting douchebags in my threadz.

Pher
08-10-2005, 10:17 AM
if i drive the car very good, which i will most likely do, cause i am borderline race car driver.
:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thats the funnies damn thing I've heard in a long time!!! Oh shit... gotta change my unine stained pants now!

Bishop
08-10-2005, 10:26 AM
^^^BAHAHAHAHAHA your sig cracks me up, lol

Rican219
08-10-2005, 10:34 AM
i just wanted to know where i can get some helium that will be able to fit in my tires. he said that the helium will make my car lighter for sure, and that ill lose like 25 pounds, which he said was a great way to do weight reduction. he says that they do that there for weight reduction and that people pay top dollar for helium filled tires.
brian
I heard you had to Recycle the air in your tires every 3000 miles or it goes stale........... I'm do for that soon so I may try out Helium this time!! Thanx!

SniperJoe
08-10-2005, 10:35 AM
You should also make sure that you've got fresh headlight fluid in there. If the fluid has become dirty, you lose horsepower.

vtecRULES
08-10-2005, 10:37 AM
I heard you had to Recycle the air in your tires every 3000 miles or it goes stale........... I'm do for that soon so I may try out Helium this time!! Thanx!

you might as well try it, i mean think about it. if helium can lift up a balloon into the sky, it must be able to lighten the car a good bit. maybe we can go in on some helium together, like a group buy or something. lemme know!

Bishop
08-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Watch how much helium you put in there. You dont wanna overfill it. If you do your car can float away, seriously i've seen it happen before man.

Badazzcr
08-10-2005, 10:47 AM
You should wax your car with rainx too... that will make faster.

Rainx reples water, and as we all know it humid as hell here, so by waxing your car with rainx it makes your car more aerodynamic. Heard its good for a few mph in the 1/4. ;)

Rican219
08-10-2005, 10:49 AM
you might as well try it, i mean think about it. if helium can lift up a balloon into the sky, it must be able to lighten the car a good bit. maybe we can go in on some helium together, like a group buy or something. lemme know!

Group Buy would be DANK! I'm there bro who else wants in? Welp gotta run and change the coolaint in my 1974 Aircooled VW keep me posted.

B16a2 Civic
08-10-2005, 10:50 AM
dont forget neons, it boosts your car by 5psi, it also makes it look like its going faster then it is.

InfiniDG355
08-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Hey VtecRULES - You gotta do us a favor, and maybe some of us can get pointers from your racing skillzs, but when you get the tires filled with helium and go time your runs on the track you gotta video tape the runs for us, and please make a copy, I will buy from you. I need one to send to America's Funniest Home Videos showing a car going around the track and all of sudden 4 tires explodingand the car on rails!!

B16a2 Civic
08-10-2005, 10:52 AM
explodingand

you lost me here

Rican219
08-10-2005, 10:54 AM
LMAO @ B16a2 Civic-Kinda lost here 2.

Hey VTECRULES do you Doubleclutch when you race?

vtecRULES
08-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey VtecRULES - You gotta do us a favor, and maybe some of us can get pointers from your racing skillzs, but when you get the tires filled with helium and go time your runs on the track you gotta video tape the runs for us, and please make a copy, I will buy from you. I need one to send to America's Funniest Home Videos showing a car going around the track and all of sudden 4 tires explodingand the car on rails!!

what are you mean? that they will blow up for me? that wouldnt be good. if you want, you can video tape it, i havent been able to afford a video camera yet, as i just bought new vtec solenoids, and i cant afford much right now.

vtecRULES
08-10-2005, 10:56 AM
LMAO @ B16a2 Civic-Kinda lost here 2.

Hey VTECRULES do you Doubleclutch when you race?

no i just usually put it in "D"

Pher
08-10-2005, 10:58 AM
I need one to send to America's Funniest Home Videos showing a car going around the track and all of sudden 4 tires explodingand the car on rails!!

^ Helium isnt flammable is it?

But everyone including myself is cracking on him hardcore but there is some validity to this. I read somewhere a long time ago about lockheed doing that for a lot of different tests. Some bicycle riders do it too. But the cost to fill up 4 tires would outweigh (no pun intended) the benefit from the lost weight.

Rican219
08-10-2005, 11:00 AM
what are you mean? that they will blow up for me? that wouldnt be good. if you want, you can video tape it, i havent been able to afford a video camera yet, as i just bought new vtec solenoids, and i cant afford much right now.

DUDE YOU FREAKIN KILL ME!!!! LMAO I'll let you borrow my Cell phone Video Camera I have an Outside mount for it for your car so that it should withstand the massive Torque

InfiniDG355
08-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Helium is not flammable, but filling your car tires with it would have the following effects depending on the conditions. a little technical but Helium is an enert permiable gas and would leak from the inner lining of the tire at about 10psi per hour or so. On the reverse if the car is driven at high speeds the gas molecules speed up and create an unstable internal pressure and at some point if you go over even a tiny piece of rock the wrong way Kaboooom!! Its just like a helium balloon, leave it in the heat and it will explode, but if you just leave it around in normal tempretures no matter what eventually it goes flat.

vtecRULES
08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Helium is not flammable, but filling your car tires with it would have the following effects depending on the conditions. a little technical but Helium is an enert permiable gas and would leak from the inner lining of the tire at about 10psi per hour or so. On the reverse if the car is driven at high speeds the gas molecules speed up and create an unstable internal pressure and at some point if you go over even a tiny piece of rock the wrong way Kaboooom!! Its just like a helium balloon, leave it in the heat and it will explode, but if you just leave it around in normal tempretures no matter what eventually it goes flat.

oh i gotcha, is that why like when air is composed of molecules, air is matter. It has mass and takes up space. Air is composed of different gases such as nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, water vapor, and other gases. Air molecules are in constant motion. As they move, they come in contact with surfaces. Air molecules push and press on the surfaces they contact. The amount of force per unit area that air molecules exert on a surface is called air pressure. (What is Air Pressure 6) Air pressure is caused by all of the air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere pressing down on the Earth's surfaces. We can measure air pressure to help us predict weather conditions around the world. Temperature also affects air pressure because air contracts when it cools and expands when it is heated. So if air above a region of Earth cools, it does not extend to as high an altitude as the surrounding air. In this case, its pressure at higher temperature is lower than in the surroundings even when the pressure at the surface is the same as in surrounding areas. Then air flows into the cooler region at high altitude, making the total weight of air above the region greater than in the surroundings. This is a "high". The cool air descends to the earth's surface. Near the surface, the falling air spreads out,
spiraling clockwise in the northern hemisphere. The opposite happens where air is warmed by the sun or by the Earth's surface temperature. The resulting rising air is above a "low." Near the surface, air flows into the "low" to replace the rising air, spiraling counter-clockwise (Atmosphere 26). Highs and lows react to each other causing a variety of conditions. Driving up or down a mountain leads to a reduction or increase of air pressure in the outer part of the ear, creating a pressure difference across the eardrum, which separates the outer ear from the middle ear. The difference distorts the eardrum, so that sounds are muffled (What is Air Pressure 9). However, this can be taken care of by swallowing air and opening the Eustachian tube between the middle ear and the nasal cavity, which in turn is joined to the mouth. The air along the tube suddenly equalizes pressures across the eardrum, which consequently pops back to its normal shape, quite noticeably. The same pressure differential builds up, but quicker, when taking off from near sea level in a pressurized jet aircraft, because the pressure inside the cabin is held at about 780 hPa. Air pressure is most often measured with a barometer. There are several different types of barometers. One type is the mercury barometer.

SniperJoe
08-10-2005, 11:29 AM
^ Helium isnt flammable is it?

But everyone including myself is cracking on him hardcore but there is some validity to this. I read somewhere a long time ago about lockheed doing that for a lot of different tests. Some bicycle riders do it too. But the cost to fill up 4 tires would outweigh (no pun intended) the benefit from the lost weight.

Actually, Lockheed was probably doing tests on nitrogen, not helium. They use nitrogen in the tires of planes because it is an inert gas and will not expand when changes in temperature occur.

Repost Squintz
08-10-2005, 11:30 AM
lmfao; damnn, i still stand by my comment that i posted in ruiners: thread u've got to be the dumbest person ever.

Ruiner
08-10-2005, 11:33 AM
lmfao; damnn, i still stand by my comment that i posted in ruiners: thread u've got to be the dumbest person ever.

Someone please ban him.

Pher
08-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Actually, Lockheed was probably doing tests on nitrogen, not helium. They use nitrogen in the tires of planes because it is an inert gas and will not expand when changes in temperature occur.
Could have been :dunno:

vtecRULES
08-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Someone please ban him.

dont ban me, just because of my quest for knowledge.

:surrender :super: :dunno: :werd: :yourock: :bigdance:

ok. i give up. maybe i will see you at teh meat tomorrow, and we will finally be able to meat eachother and you will see, im a diehard importfreak!

InfiniDG355
08-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I believe it was Nitrogen. Now I will say that even though a lot of people say that filling your tires with nitrogen does not really have any effects, I disagree. I have done nitrogen fills in my tires and can definitely tell a difference with the nitrogen.

gijoe0720
08-24-2005, 01:56 AM
oh i gotcha, is that why like when air is composed of molecules, air is matter. It has mass and takes up space. Air is composed of different gases such as nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, water vapor, and other gases. Air molecules are in constant motion. As they move, they come in contact with surfaces. Air molecules push and press on the surfaces they contact. The amount of force per unit area that air molecules exert on a surface is called air pressure. (What is Air Pressure 6) Air pressure is caused by all of the air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere pressing down on the Earth's surfaces. We can measure air pressure to help us predict weather conditions around the world. Temperature also affects air pressure because air contracts when it cools and expands when it is heated. So if air above a region of Earth cools, it does not extend to as high an altitude as the surrounding air. In this case, its pressure at higher temperature is lower than in the surroundings even when the pressure at the surface is the same as in surrounding areas. Then air flows into the cooler region at high altitude, making the total weight of air above the region greater than in the surroundings. This is a "high". The cool air descends to the earth's surface. Near the surface, the falling air spreads out,
spiraling clockwise in the northern hemisphere. The opposite happens where air is warmed by the sun or by the Earth's surface temperature. The resulting rising air is above a "low." Near the surface, air flows into the "low" to replace the rising air, spiraling counter-clockwise (Atmosphere 26). Highs and lows react to each other causing a variety of conditions. Driving up or down a mountain leads to a reduction or increase of air pressure in the outer part of the ear, creating a pressure difference across the eardrum, which separates the outer ear from the middle ear. The difference distorts the eardrum, so that sounds are muffled (What is Air Pressure 9). However, this can be taken care of by swallowing air and opening the Eustachian tube between the middle ear and the nasal cavity, which in turn is joined to the mouth. The air along the tube suddenly equalizes pressures across the eardrum, which consequently pops back to its normal shape, quite noticeably. The same pressure differential builds up, but quicker, when taking off from near sea level in a pressurized jet aircraft, because the pressure inside the cabin is held at about 780 hPa. Air pressure is most often measured with a barometer. There are several different types of barometers. One type is the mercury barometer.

nice copy and pasting skills

93H22ACX
08-24-2005, 10:21 AM
It does reduce weight but, just because you reduce weight it doesnt mean you will run better times in the 1/4 mile.

I know/heard bicycle racers use it...

saving 5 or so lbs if that.... will not be too beneficial if you compare the price to air.

Ms Dollar
09-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Duuu vtec rules! 2 bad an american bad ass runs a 13.9 stock with out helium, tell u what ill granny shift 2, race car driver! c u at the track!

speedminded
09-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm a little late on this thread but how much to you suppose 38lbs of air in a tire weighs? Ever taken a wheel off and weighed it then weighed it again with the valve stem out...?

Yeah, helium is lighter than air but you would save 100+ times more weight just by taking one lug nut off each wheel.

*edit*
got bored.. 26" tire 8" wide 4" thick is about 2,000 cubic inches...61 of those in a liter so that makes each tire hold about 33.5 liters. A liter of air weighs in at 1.25 grams while a liter of helium is 0.1785 grams. Sooo..about 40 grams of air vs. 5.959 grams with a differance of 34 grams, multiply that by 4 for each tire and you have a total weight savings of 136 grams or 0.29 lbs, lol.

chuck
09-09-2005, 01:44 PM
got bored.. 26" tire 8" wide 4" thick is about 2,000 cubic inches...61 of those in a liter so that makes each tire hold about 33.5 liters. A liter of air weighs in at 1.25 grams while a liter of helium is 0.1785 grams. Sooo..about 40 grams of air vs. 5.959 grams with a differance of 34 grams, multiply that by 4 for each tire and you have a total weight savings of 136 grams or 0.29 lbs, lol.

wouldn't tire pressure come into that equation somewhere???

chuck
09-09-2005, 01:47 PM
also a bit late but what you may have heard was the twisted story of people putting nitrogen in their tires, this is a new thing shops are doing, the nitrogen doesn't expand or contract as much as regular air with the hot and cold seasons so the only time you have to adjust your tire pressure is when you loose air...but i dunno what or where you heard the helium thing

speedminded
09-09-2005, 01:58 PM
wouldn't tire pressure come into that equation somewhere???I was wondering that too...maybe everything needs to be multiplied by the psi...not sure though.

93H22ACX
09-09-2005, 02:05 PM
also a bit late but what you may have heard was the twisted story of people putting nitrogen in their tires, this is a new thing shops are doing, the nitrogen doesn't expand or contract as much as regular air with the hot and cold seasons so the only time you have to adjust your tire pressure is when you loose air...but i dunno what or where you heard the helium thing

consistant tire pressure would be awesome when drag racing with slicks.

reason is...i usually run 5psi of air...by the time i finish my burn out its back up to like 8psi+.... which i dont want... so if i acn get 5psi consistantly it will be alot better...

can you tell me how much 17" TE37's with tires weigh compare to stock 14" steelies :)

Xrated O.G.
09-10-2005, 10:31 AM

The whole thing with Nitrogen is that the molecules are larger than that of air. Thus making it more difficult for the porus compound of a rubber tire to leak. Yeah there are supposedly more benefits than that but that is the biggest difference.