PDA

View Full Version : Engine Choice...

blacknightteg
03-03-2008, 10:26 AM
ok so maybe this is a stupid question to ask, but im going to ask it anyways. Engines are not really something that i have alot of knowledge on. which suck so im trying to learn now. Im wanting to do a swap hopefully sometime around mid to late summer so i am wanting to know what might be a good engine to doo....here are the choices i have so far and that i hav been considering...OBD1 GSR, B20, TYPE R, and H22, out of all them. which are the best too mod. i know the GSR is a good engine to do modds with but i just want a lil more info on all of em. Once i get the engine i am planning on boosting it at some point and time....so inform me people, PLEASE!

Batlground
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
GSR>ALL

If you want to boost it, GSR is the best candidate because of its compression and price.
If you want to run all motor, GSR is the best candidate because of PRICE.

You can buy the GSR, swap it into your integra an it will be PLUG AND PLAY. H22 will not. And its not a great motor to boost either.

B20=Weak, barely stronger than an LS, thin sleeves make it hard to turbo.
ITR- $$$$$$$$ and not good to boost , compression is too high, pistons weak
H22- Not easy to swap, lots of wiring, horrible transmission, requires mount kits, alternator relocation sometimes, etc etc etc.

Do the GSR you will be much happier

blacknightteg
03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
can always count on you mike lol thanks bro

gsrteg
03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
it also depends on your budget, what's ur price range?

wrekonize
03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Mike@BATLGROUND said it all....gsr is the best way to go

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
GSR>ALL

If you want to boost it, GSR is the best candidate because of its compression and price.
If you want to run all motor, GSR is the best candidate because of PRICE.

You can buy the GSR, swap it into your integra an it will be PLUG AND PLAY. H22 will not. And its not a great motor to boost either.

B20=Weak, barely stronger than an LS, thin sleeves make it hard to turbo.
ITR- $$$$$$$$ and not good to boost , compression is too high, pistons weak
H22- Not easy to swap, lots of wiring, horrible transmission, requires mount kits, alternator relocation sometimes, etc etc etc.

Do the GSR you will be much happier

agreed to the day i die!!! but im a fan of dat "big block" ooooweeee ridin! it is a hard swap with the shift linkage, tranny mount bracket.... but man if you do that **** rite with the rite suspension upgrade!!!..... that **** will RIDE SSOOOOOOO DAMMM HARD!!!!:super:

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 12:51 PM
:burnout:RIDE!!!!! YOU HEAR ME RIDE!!!!!!!! BETTER TELL THEM TO :surrender

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 01:14 PM
listen to batlground!! they know whats up!!

dumpdaccord
03-03-2008, 03:33 PM
:burnout:RIDE!!!!! YOU HEAR ME RIDE!!!!!!!! BETTER TELL THEM TO :surrender

lol...

redrumracer
03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
why dont people ever go with the h22? dont mean to hijack the thread but there is no replacement for displacement

Batlground
03-03-2008, 03:46 PM
why dont people ever go with the h22? dont mean to hijack the thread but there is no replacement for displacement
Most people are on a budget.

The Gsr or any b series for that matter is a BOLT in swap for Integras(longblock or swap). Its a bolt in swap for EGs as well.

The H22 requires an entire swap, its shifter cables instead of linkage, wiring is different, alternator is on the wrong side, its all different. Its more of a hassle for NOT alot of power gain

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
lol...

rite on!!!:crazy:

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Most people are on a budget.

The Gsr or any b series for that matter is a BOLT in swap for Integras(longblock or swap). Its a bolt in swap for EGs as well.

The H22 requires an entire swap, its shifter cables instead of linkage, wiring is different, alternator is on the wrong side, its all different. Its more of a hassle for NOT alot of power gain

true!! but it can be done!! AND IF DONE RITE..... OMFG....CALL DAT **** USS TAKE OFF CUZ DAT WILL BE GOING TO DA DAM MOON!!!:boxing:

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 03:59 PM
but like i said listen to batlground, because they know whats up

redrumracer
03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
thanks for the info. didnt know what all was needed to be done. but then again im not a honda guy either

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 04:07 PM
mike most def knows his stuff!! big block baby big block!

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Hey mike will the hood close properly on a h22 eg with after market mounts? i know some mounts sit the motor up higher in account for the bigger oil pan.. do you know which does this?? i dont mean to hijack the thread

IndianStig
03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
H22 swap will keep you smiling a lot harder then the GSR will. Get I/H/E and some skunk2 pro1 cams and you'll beat the crap outta either of those setups with more mods even with the "horrible transmission". TQ FTW!

B_Hoov
03-03-2008, 07:16 PM

x2

blacknightteg
03-03-2008, 07:19 PM
i am technically on a budget. im setting one for myself, but at the same time, i am going to need a full swap....clutch is slipping, its old, tranny is as old as the motor so i just want everything new. and if im goin to boost then i wana have the least problems later on down the road

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
i am technically on a budget. im setting one for myself, but at the same time, i am going to need a full swap....clutch is slipping, its old, tranny is as old as the motor so i just want everything new. and if im goin to boost then i wana have the least problems later on down the road

well if you want boost DO NOT GET A H22:no:

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 07:26 PM
H22 swap will keep you smiling a lot harder then the GSR will. Get I/H/E and some skunk2 pro1 cams and you'll beat the crap outta either of those setups with more mods even with the "horrible transmission". TQ FTW!

agreed!! do u still have that prelude i sold you?

B_Hoov
03-03-2008, 07:44 PM
well if you want boost DO NOT GET A H22:no:

easy now!

B_Hoov
03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
im actually debating on selling my motor, fuel system, and everything else as opposed to swapping it in something, what are you looking to spend?

blacknightteg
03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
i really really dont want to spend that much....most of the swaps that i see for sale on sites are like between 2600 to 2900 for everything...tranny, clutch, engin, etc. the motor isnt want would hurt me i feel that its the labor that would....im really wanting to find something thats somewhat built too so that i do boost a little bit after that and not have to worry about doing a hell of a lot of internals or anything before i do. i dont know if that told you anything

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
easy now!

opps my bad homie:goodjob:

blacknightteg
03-04-2008, 07:13 AM
bump

integra82786
03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
the swap is going cost you if you want one that is going to last through a turbo. buying a cheap swap is like buying a used car all over again, you're asking to fix something every month. put the money into a trustworthy seller that is going to give you the full swap, motor mounts, axles, ecu and harness, and there are many that will sell them with aftermarket exhaust manifolds and other simple bolt ons still attached. gsr is definately the way to go. even if you are looking for bigger displacement down the road, there are companies that make 2.0 sleave kits for gsr blocks. anything is possible, but you will need to be willing to spend a little.

blacknightteg
03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
well like i said before, i cant and dont want to spend a hell of a lot. i was never intending on buying a swap from anyone on here unless i knew for a fact that it was going to be something that was in excellent condition. now as far as turbo goe's this is a daily driver, im not looking for anything crazy as i have to have transportation to get from place to place so big power is not something that im craving....

Timinater
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
i swapped an h22 in my hatch after having a gsr, then a faster ls/tec, but neither b series has **** on the torque the h puts out, and i love torque. but then again ive always been a fan of the h22, the swap was faily difficult, but nothing you cant do in the garage.if its your first swap then gsr it. good luck either way, all honda engines kick dcik!!

DieselNuts
03-06-2008, 12:16 PM
do something different. I vote for LS9.

WHT_EP3
03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
on a budget or having all the money nessecary would make a big difference if you can't do your own sawps
i had an LS with a GSR tranny and an Exedy clutch and fidanza flywheel. and that was a huge difference by itself and it was not any more than $650. from our local IA members
and just that was at gsr potential. my advice to you is buy a GSR head and an LS/Vtec kit and have some one do it correctly beleive ne you wont regret it
or if your going to boost it just keep your LS and Boost that just my :2cents:

Sammich
03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
OBD1 GSR without a question. and get rid of that spoiler

:ninja: lol jk

i'm with batlground all day man...GSR ftmfw. best engine for all applications.

bRiAnMcIvIcS
03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
GSR($3200) would be the best. You cant really boost the ITR($4500) because the compression is pretty high. B20b 99-00 spec($750) the sleeves are kinda weak, not bad for the money and you could resleeve($950 golden eagle) for boost if you wanted to. H22($2500) is a lot of work and not good to boost.