PDA

View Full Version : Whats better? OBD1 or OBD2

blacknightteg
03-03-2008, 10:13 AM
so im looking into getting a GSR swap a few months down the road and im wanting to do as much looking into about them as i possible can. Now i hav heard that an OBD1 is better for mods and what not then and OBD2 especially if you want to go turbo. is that true? please help fill me in

xlilvi3tx
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
ob1 is better. i hate them damn sensors when u tryin to upgrade lol

blacknightteg
03-03-2008, 10:22 AM
oh ok...yeah see i had heard that it was better but i wasnt sure at all...im trying to find out as much info as i can on a couple of engine choices that im deciding on.

patrick4588
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
most ppl have to convert to obd1 if there car is obd2. just get an obd1 swap if you can

blacknightteg
03-03-2008, 11:19 AM
thats wat i was looking at doing but i just wasnt sure

wrekonize
03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
obd1 is better..ecu wise because you have more options...

HatchHero
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
by faR obd1 easier to tune and get away wit emisions

blackhatch99
03-06-2008, 11:11 AM
take it from a person who is turboing a obd2 car it is a pian inthe *** to do there is some much converting to do like ecu fuel injectors and o2 sensor and emision is a pian 2 in order to pass u have to convert everything back to obd2(stock) in order to go down and pass if i had a choice to start over obd1 is the way to go but good luck on wat ever u do i like the ek hatches better so i opted to go obd2 and do wat u like and have fun

Batlground
03-06-2008, 11:30 AM
so im looking into getting a GSR swap a few months down the road and im wanting to do as much looking into about them as i possible can. Now i hav heard that an OBD1 is better for mods and what not then and OBD2 especially if you want to go turbo. is that true? please help fill me in
OBD1 is superior in all aspect because

1) OBD1 has CHIP-ABLE ECUs. You can tune with Crome Pro, Hondata, Neptune, Uberdata, and many more.

2) OBD1 has less emissions restrictions.

3) OBD2 has no ROM chip, so therfore you cant mod or chip the ecu. If you are OBD2 the only thing you can use is a standalone like AEM, MOTEC, DTA or crappy piggyback systems like Emanage or VAFCs.

HatchHero
03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
OBD1 is superior in all aspect because

1) OBD1 has CHIP-ABLE ECUs. You can tune with Crome Pro, Hondata, Neptune, Uberdata, and many more.

2) OBD1 has less emissions restrictions.

3) OBD2 has no ROM chip, so therfore you cant mod or chip the ecu. If you are OBD2 the only thing you can use is a standalone like AEM, MOTEC, DTA or crappy piggyback systems like Emanage or VAFCs.

WOW thats what i said!! listen to the man this guy knows his sH1T!!:goodjob: reps to battlrground

404 THE DC4
03-06-2008, 11:56 AM
i didnt know that.. mmm is it good if I pick ORD2 for all motor??

Batlground
03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Again, we are talking about the ECUs, not the ENGINEs.

The engines are virtually identical. Only difference is the OBD2 has some more emissions stuff and it has a Crank Sensor on the Oil Pump.

OBD1 has the sensor in the distributor.

other than that there is almost no difference.

The ECUs however there is a HUGE difference.

You can buy an OBD2 engine, just make sure you convert it to OBD1 ECU if you are going to tune the car

blacknightteg
03-06-2008, 12:06 PM
so if i wana go boost i should go to obd1?

HatchHero
03-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Again, we are talking about the ECUs, not the ENGINEs.

The engines are virtually identical. Only difference is the OBD2 has some more emissions stuff and it has a Crank Sensor on the Oil Pump.

OBD1 has the sensor in the distributor.

other than that there is almost no difference.

The ECUs however there is a HUGE difference.

You can buy an OBD2 engine, just make sure you convert it to OBD1 ECU if you are going to tune the car

:goodjob:

bRiAnMcIvIcS
03-07-2008, 12:12 PM
so if i wana go boost i should go to obd1?

Yes.:goodjob: