PDA

View Full Version : coilovers or springs

Vtec-Cruiser
08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I am about to lower my car and was wonder which would be better coilover or springs

b18hb
08-09-2005, 11:19 PM
depends... use search tool for more info... the subject has been discussed several times... and there is no defining answer.

AutoDreams
08-10-2005, 08:13 AM
I can tell you this coilovers will ride a little rougher, but they are less expensive. we can coilovers starting at about 90.00. if interested give us a call

YokotaS13
08-10-2005, 09:45 AM
do youw ant to be able to slam, and bring it back up? get coilovers, you can egt custom springrate wiht decent coilovers (tein, d2, omni, groundcontrol) and ride the same (almost) as a set of srings and performance shocks. If your on a budget, springs, camber kit, and shocks are the way to go.
I personally will never go back to springs

b18hb
08-10-2005, 10:35 AM
spending the money to get a coilover system (500+ dollars generally speaking), rather than just a coilover sleeve, will result in better adjustability and better handling than a set of shocks and springs. if you get the sleeves on stock shocks (90 dollar coiloviers through 400ish coilovers), you will blow those shocks with a quickness and find yourself bouncing around quite a bit. i agree, with tsispyder.. budget = springs and a set of decent shocks combined with a camber kit (depending on the car you drive) should do you over just fine. if you have 1000 to 2500 dollars to spend, i'd strongly recommend coilovers.

YokotaS13
08-10-2005, 10:47 AM
And to add to that, even if people tell you can, dont keep your stock shocks. It will make the ride bouncy on many occasions and defeats the purpose of changing the springs/ coilover sleeves. makes sur eyou get a quality shock, koni yellows, kyb agx, tokico illumina

SniperJoe
08-10-2005, 11:31 AM
I can tell you this coilovers will ride a little rougher, but they are less expensive. we can coilovers starting at about 90.00. if interested give us a call

Not neccessarily true. I think that the topic is about true coilovers, not sleeves. The trick to getting a really good suspension setup is to have perfectly matched shocks and springs (among other things). By doing that, you can actually run higher spring rates with more comfort than a more poorly matched combination.

YokotaS13
08-10-2005, 12:17 PM
yep, where in japan are you going?

Batman
08-11-2005, 10:47 AM
if you have the money go with coils...

plokivos
08-19-2005, 01:53 AM
Biggest mis-conception about coilovers are that they are just there to lower the center of gravity.

Yes, they lower the center of gravity, but most importantly, it gives the driver the opportunity to adjust the corner weight of the each wheels to achieve a balance in a car.

if you plan on just drag racing, I would just stick with progressive springs, but if you do a lot of mountain runs, and track racing, i would suggest linear setup coilovers and weight each corners to balance it, so it'll handle very nuetral at the track.

Or you could set it up as how you want your car to run at the track. This is the advantage of the coilovers that you can't get from springs.

and don't do the sleeves, they're not worth the money because you're using the stock strut setup that can't adjust to lowered spring rate.

good luck.

YokotaS13
08-19-2005, 09:21 PM
unles you do a ground control/koni type setup.

Yeah i forgot to add the corner weight issue, but honestly, unless you know somewhere with 4 vehicle scales, one for each wheel, and a day or so, then your kind out on that idea anyways.

Spyder
08-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Biggest mis-conception about coilovers are that they are just there to lower the center of gravity.

Yes, they lower the center of gravity, but most importantly, it gives the driver the opportunity to adjust the corner weight of the each wheels to achieve a balance in a car.

if you plan on just drag racing, I would just stick with progressive springs, but if you do a lot of mountain runs, and track racing, i would suggest linear setup coilovers and weight each corners to balance it, so it'll handle very nuetral at the track.

Or you could set it up as how you want your car to run at the track. This is the advantage of the coilovers that you can't get from springs.

and don't do the sleeves, they're not worth the money because you're using the stock strut setup that can't adjust to lowered spring rate.

good luck.

its important to note that it is only possible to corner weight and preload QUALITY coil overs not the 99 buck ebay specials ;)

Bomex269
08-31-2005, 11:46 AM
yea i know the feeling i need sum coilovers prob going with tein bc my stock shock ride like shit lol i have a 95 Eclipse GST

YokotaS13
08-31-2005, 01:13 PM
dont get teins on a dsm, they are too soft for it.
Eibach tokiko is the way to go (the general consensus on dsmtuners last time i checked)
however, a large number of dsmers are going to the D2 coilovers, thats how i found out about them before i bought mine. Everyone seems to like them

RISKYB
08-31-2005, 10:32 PM
a good set of springs and shocks are more responsive and reliable

YokotaS13
09-01-2005, 12:13 AM
not always, it its not a perfect setup, its not. Wiht a coilover setup you can setup reload, heght, rebound, adn corner weight. you cant do that with springs and shocks (well all of it)

djmaddmartin
09-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Well eveyone has their two cents.
I've been through lowering springs
Coilover sleeves
Coilover sleeves with tokiko shocks
Full coilovers w/adjustable dampening >$1100
& Full coilovers with top and bottom height adj w/ dampening adjustment.<$1300.

I can say that I've spent way more money changing suspensions looking for satisfaction than I actually spent on my final choice.

So my word of advice if your serious is to save your money till you can buy the expensive but top of the line. You will have saved money, time and frustration. I had a lot of people telling me to settle for less and it cost me dearly. Take it from someone who's been through what is true and what people want you to believe. Anything less is just that, less. You get what you pay for. If you don't believe me, check out how many threads are listed within suspension performance of people with serious problems and performance issues. Even with supposedly good setups.

My recomendation would be tein flex, d2's or apexi n1 pro's. The N1's being the best you can get. Be patient, check ebay! and save your money :2cents: til you find a killer deal on a quality set of full coilovers.

Oh, and never buy used. They are usually broken unless you can vouch for the cat selling the item.

YokotaS13
09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Just so its stated, the tein flex is a slight softer ride than most other coilovers of the same price range. I personally have the D2s, and have ridden in a Del sol with the tein flex, and they still allowed more bodyroll than id like, while the D2s, i have kept me nice nad flat through turns. Its not as comfy on longer rides, but thats up to you.

But i agree with the man above, if you get some GOOD threaded body coilovers, with all independent adjustments (preload, height, dampning) you will be much better off with your setup than just springs and shocks that you MAY have dampning adjustability.

neontuner95
09-03-2005, 09:12 AM
I agree with what everyone has said piece of advice make sure you do it right, whatever setup you choose.

YokotaS13
09-03-2005, 10:38 PM
adn dont go cheap, save up for what you really want, dont settle