PDA

View Full Version : Shaky at 55-65mph on acceleration

ATK_Designs
02-29-2008, 08:56 AM
my DD, 1994 Accord with H22 swap, recently start to shake (violently) from the speed of 55-65mph on acceleration. It became more apparrent since I hit the pot hole past weekend on the Passenger side. :eek:

I thought it's the wheels, so I changed both front wheels to my spare 17" sets, and still the same thing. I've looked at the suspension components, shocks, springs, tie rods, axles, etc. and can't tell what's going on. :thinking:

I thought it'd blow the shocks from the passenger side, but I paid careful attention this morning and seems like the Whole front end of the car is shaky, not just the passenger side. :no:

Funny thing is it only happen from that speed range, and when I'm on accelleration only, regardless of what gear I'm on.

Any idea of what could be the problem?

thx a lot

speedminded
02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
my DD, 1994 Accord with H22 swap, recently start to shake (violently) from the speed of 55-65mph on acceleration. It became more apparrent since I hit the pot hole past weekend on the Passenger side. :eek:

I thought it's the wheels, so I changed both front wheels to my spare 17" sets, and still the same thing. I've looked at the suspension components, shocks, springs, tie rods, axles, etc. and can't tell what's going on. :thinking:

I thought it'd blow the shocks from the passenger side, but I paid careful attention this morning and seems like the Whole front end of the car is shaky, not just the passenger side. :no:

Funny thing is it only happen from that speed range, and when I'm on accelleration only, regardless of what gear I'm on.

thx a lotMost definitely unicorns, maybe even gremlins.

Does the steering wheel shake? Does it shake any other time when you apply the brakes? Is the car properly aligned? Checked the wheel bearings? (jack the car up and while holding the tire at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock push and pull it side to side to see if it's loose)

ATK_Designs
02-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Most definitely unicorns, maybe even gremlins.

Does the steering wheel shake? Does it shake any other time when you apply the brakes? Is the car properly aligned? Checked the wheel bearings? (jack the car up and while holding the tire at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock push and pull it side to side to see if it's loose)

lol...thanks for the response..the steering wheel shake. The car was aligned about 2 months ago. I checked the wheel bearings and they seems okay. I'll have someone drive the car so I can take a look at it from outside to see if there's something funny with the alignment.

integra82786
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
My integra did the same thing, but eventually it got worse. I turned out to be my intermediate shaft. I hit a pot hole too, and the bearing got bent, causing the bearing to rotate eliptically. As I kept driving on it it eventually got worse and worse. you can raise the car up and have someone drive it on the lift. you will be able to see if the bearing isn't spinning right.

ATL86
02-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Just jack up the front and, with hands holding opposite sides, shake the tire in and out and, with hands on top and bottom, in and out. If there is play both times, then you need to replace the hub bearing.

jdmdb8itr
03-01-2008, 12:49 AM
i know when my car did that it was the tires, the belts were seperating and it caused to shake.

ATK_Designs
03-01-2008, 12:52 AM
thanks guys, I'll have it look at my friend's shop tomorrow.

redpanda
03-01-2008, 02:22 AM
the hub i'm guessing

chip P.
03-01-2008, 04:06 AM
go get em balanced.....(wheels)
pretty sure that could help.
have you lowered the car at all?

ATK_Designs
03-02-2008, 02:20 PM
update, didn't have time much to tell yesterday, but I had someone looked at it when I was driving and they confirmed that it spins "elliptically", not rounded.

I aligned my car as well, didn't help.

So I guess that's the issue. So is it time to do rotor over hub conversion?

AnclyT
03-02-2008, 02:29 PM
maybe axle/shaft combination is not perfect

chip P.
03-02-2008, 03:41 PM
this is a good bet too. chek axles.

Pavlo
03-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Sounds like the axle is bent. Any humming from the bearing?
And from underneath, very unlikely that you'd be able to spot a bent axle on a drivable car.

J13eck
03-02-2008, 10:18 PM
check the lugs. it happend to me and my wheel almost fell off..

ATK_Designs
03-02-2008, 10:45 PM

Please elaborate, are you refering to it's not matching when the swap was done or it's "not connected / misaligned" right after I hit the pot hole?

ATK_Designs
03-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Pavlo - I checked the axle, but will do so again :)

vngig - I checked that, they're okay.

MistaCee
03-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Wheel bearings? but I really think it can be bent axles.

ATK_Designs
03-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I had my friend drove my car and I looked at it, it wasn't that bouncy.

1 Thing to note is that it's shaky when it's on throttled from 55-65. Otherwise, it's okay.

I think it's either the CV join or the part of the axle that messed up. If it's the bearing/hub issue, it should happen through out the speed, not only when we stepped on the gas at that certain speed.

integra82786
03-03-2008, 09:25 PM
I still say you need an intermediate shaft.....

RUFFIAN
03-05-2008, 03:04 PM

thx a lotIt sounds like the lower control arm bushings. Check the inner and outer ones.

lilmanx01
03-05-2008, 04:05 PM
drive shaft?

ATK_Designs
03-07-2008, 01:17 PM
RUFFIAN - I checked the bushings, they're fine.

lilmanx01 - I haven't checked it carefully yet. Will do so this weekend.

**NOTE: Weird thing is that all this vibration causing the car to be shaky, but it still drive straight.

DirtyMechanic
03-07-2008, 01:21 PM
RUFFIAN - I checked the bushings, they're fine.

lilmanx01 - I haven't checked it carefully yet. Will do so this weekend.

**NOTE: Weird thing is that all this vibration causing the car to be shaky, but it still drive straight. its called the tire balance. there are 1st 2nd and 3rd order vibrations that occurs. and could be at theat 55-65 window.

ATK_Designs
03-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks Mike, the wheels are balanced. This is on all my sets of wheels, not 1.

I found the problem. It's the swaybar endlink bushings. They're busted. I replaced them today and the vibration is gone.

Thanks to those who helped. :)

DirtyMechanic
03-10-2008, 06:52 PM
ive never seen a sway bar being disconnected cause a vib. must be some weak as bushing for the rest of the suspension that it needs a sway bar to keep it from vibrating. lol