PDA

View Full Version : Ariel Announces 500-horsepower V8 Atom

speedminded
02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
http://www.motivemag.com/Content/uploads/1/Atom_500_V8.jpg

Ariel announce the latest version of the Atom – the Ariel Atom 500, powered by a 2.4-liter V8 engine. With over 500bhp in a 500 kilogram package, the Atom 500 will boast one of the highest power to weight ratios ever for a production car, ever. At over 1000bhp per tonne the Atom 500 will be the ultimate statement in performance and is destined to be made in a limited edition.
The V8 powered Atom is the first of some exciting developments from Ariel due to be released though 2008 and builds on the growing reputation that the company has for putting the passion back into driving and producing cars that are fun to drive as well as fast both on and off the track.

The 500 started life as a one off special project with RS Developments in 2007 and features the Russell Savory designed 2.4 litre V8 engine coupled to a 6 speed sequential Sadev gearbox. Developing over 500bhp at 10,000rpm the supercharged engine features all alloy construction, 5 valves per cylinder and a dry sump. The gearbox will have flatshift capability, a paddle gearchange with manual override as well as launch and traction controls.

Recognisable by the twin rear intakes for intercoolers the Atom 500 will feature a unique colour scheme for chassis, wheels and bodywork combined with carbon fibre panels and carbon fibre aerofoils. Other features will include chromemoly aerofoil wishbones, integrated function steering wheel, Alcon 4 pot caliper brakes and Dymag magnesium wheels.

Said Simon Saunders, Director of Ariel, ‘This is an interesting project for us and an experimental departure from what we normally produce. For a few customers the Atom 500 will be the ultimate expression of lightweight performance and represents the outer limits of what is achievable in a road registered car. We also use this sort of project to explore the possibilities of how we can improve our standard cars. The Honda engined production cars already combine all the elements that we want in an Atom and by pushing the envelope to these sorts of extremes we can further improve the breed’.

The Atom 500 will be produced in Somerset at the new Ariel factory with the first car available from Spring this year. Prices have not yet been finalised but Ariel’s commitment to performance for value will ensure that the Atom 500 is competitive in cost as well as performance.

With the standard Atom 300 already achieving sub 3 second times to 60mph and sub 7 second times to 100mph, the 500 will take this one stage further with record breaking production car possibilities.

EJ25RUN
02-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Well i want to see this.

wait....

*checks specs for Caterham i posted!*

speedminded
02-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Well i want to see this.

wait....

*checks specs for Caterham i posted!*30 more hp but 20kg heavier :tongue:

MistaCee
I want to see Top Gear test this thing!

EJ25RUN
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?p=36565659#post36565659

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/02/260208cat_450-op.jpg

Caterhams have always been the model for minimalist motoring and it's rare that owners have been wanting for more motivation, but RS Performance has answered the call of a few owners that want insane power to match the Caterham's spartan looks.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/02/260208cat.jpg
Packing a supercharged 2.4-liter, V8 driving the rear wheels through a six-speed gearbox, RS Performance is giving well-heeled drivers 550 hp (at 10,000 rpm!) to simultaneously dry their hair and wet their pants. With a curb weight of almost 1,150 pounds, that means a power to weight ratio of around 1000 hp per ton and a 0-60 time of under three seconds.

Getting that grunt to the ground is difficult, at best. With the majority of the body panels being replaced with carbon fiber bits, along with an F1-style front splitter, steering wheel and Kevlar seats, the lack of mass is something drivers will have to overcome. Thankfully, the chassis, sticky rubber and traction/launch control should keep things in check.

If the £115,000 cost of entry for the supercharged version is a bit more than your wallet can bear, a naturally aspirated variant is available as well producing a "paltry" 380 hp. Included in the cost of the RST-V8 is a two-day driver training course when you take delivery. Good call Caterham.

speedminded
02-28-2008, 12:14 PM
I want to see Top Gear test this thing!Maybe it will actually tear it off this time, lol!

"I'm an aliennn!"

http://www.pureclarkson.com/wp-content/uploads/jeremy-clarkson.jpg

MistaCee
02-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Maybe it will actually tear it off this time, lol!

"I'm an aliennn!"

Lol thats why I wanted to see it too :lmfao:

EJ25RUN
02-28-2008, 12:17 PM

"I'm an aliennn!"

First thing that popped in my head was the top gear test.

i really feel the Top Gear Test Track and Best Motoring reverse pole 5 lap battle are the best ways to evaluate a car.

Jecht
02-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Nice... Ariel is doing what other car companies should be doing... getting back to the basics and improving them.

HeLLo iM iZzY
02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Niiiiceeee.

Think about how much fun that is.

+reps for yall.

Kevykev
02-28-2008, 01:52 PM

"I'm an aliennn!"

I knew that pic would be in here.

Wonder when he'll test it?

umairejaz
02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
That front wheel looks like it came off an ap1! lol

I wonder how it would hold traction, but I think with such a small v8 you'll be looking at power at the very peak of the rpm range with little torq. F1 anyone?

quickdodge®
02-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Cool car. Later, QD.

STI101
02-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Holy **** that is insane!!!

collins
02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
That front wheel looks like it came off an ap1! lol

I wonder how it would hold traction, but I think with such a small v8 you'll be looking at power at the very peak of the rpm range with little torq. F1 anyone?

exactly what i was thinking... BOTH POINTS! lol

1.. yes, the wheels look like they came off an s2000

2.. it'll be just like teh indy cars... the only reason they have THAT much hp is because they're able to carry a little bit of tq over an insain rpm range.

very cool car anyway!!!

EJ25RUN
02-28-2008, 03:40 PM
exactly what i was thinking... BOTH POINTS! lol

1.. yes, the wheels look like they came off an s2000

2.. it'll be just like teh indy cars... the only reason they have THAT much hp is because they're able to carry a little bit of tq over an insain rpm range.

very cool car anyway!!!

1.Those are Dymags....alot more expensive than s2k wheels.
2. ah no to whatever you said....with this new aero package, the car should handle better than before with the added grunt.

collins
02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
i never said it was a bad thing... i'm sure it will be fast as hell! i'm just saying that the max hp is only at that 10k redline, and probably no where near that much even 3/4 of the way up the rpm range. at 7k, its probably around the 250-300 mark, which for something that light is still a ton of power. i wasnt dogging it at all, so dont take it the wrong way. lol and i dont care WHO makes the wheels... they LOOK like s2000 wheels.

EJ25RUN
02-28-2008, 03:44 PM
i never said it was a bad thing... i'm sure it will be fast as hell! i'm just saying that the max hp is only at that 10k redline, and probably no where near that much even 3/4 of the way up the rpm range. at 7k, its probably around the 250-300 mark, which for something that light is still a ton of power. i wasnt dogging it at all, so dont take it the wrong way. lol and i dont care WHO makes the wheels... they LOOK like s2000 wheels.

oh yeah,....

i just had to let everyone know their mag Dymags :idb:

speedminded
02-28-2008, 04:02 PM
i never said it was a bad thing... i'm sure it will be fast as hell! i'm just saying that the max hp is only at that 10k redline, and probably no where near that much even 3/4 of the way up the rpm range. at 7k, its probably around the 250-300 mark, which for something that light is still a ton of power. i wasnt dogging it at all, so dont take it the wrong way.lol, ever driven an S2000? or ridden a sport bike? You gotta run the **** out of them or they can't even get out of their own way!

It's a 2.4 liter V8 engine making 500hp, with pistons that size it's obviously going to be high strung and definitely not a torque monster...

Here's an example of a 380hp 2.6 liter V8 made out of 2 Hayabusa engines three years ago...

http://www.radicalmotorsport.com/news_folder/V8_christine/l_v8curve.gif

Elbow
02-28-2008, 04:07 PM
A 500hp Atom...that might be the one car that will actually NOT be fun to drive because you will actually be insanely horrified.

I need one.

josh green
02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Its supercharged its going to make plenty of torque in the mid/low end of the band.....

Doppelgänger
02-28-2008, 04:37 PM
What i see that many fail to realize is that TQ is the enemy in a lightweight car. Too much TQ just turns the rear tires into liquid. So it makes plenty of sense to have a low tq/high hp motor in the car. Look at RX-7's, they don't make much tq, but any one pushing 400+rwhp is going to be straight up GONE....and not because of it's tq rating. I'd also be willing to bet the F1 engines don't have much tq compared to the hp output for this same reason.

GermanMuscle
02-28-2008, 04:45 PM
the day i buy this, will be the day i write my will :D

speedminded
02-28-2008, 05:05 PM
What i see that many fail to realize is that TQ is the enemy in a lightweight car. Too much TQ just turns the rear tires into liquid. So it makes plenty of sense to have a low tq/high hp motor in the car. Look at RX-7's, they don't make much tq, but any one pushing 400+rwhp is going to be straight up GONE....and not because of it's tq rating. I'd also be willing to bet the F1 engines don't have much tq compared to the hp output for this same reason.Exactly!

That's what worries me with my lil project car, lolol! I'm aiming for around 400whp & over 420+ ft-lbs. torque @ 11psi and well under 2,300lbs curb weight...at 1.5 bar and the right compressor housing it could be nearing 500whp. Granted the Ariel is half the weight though! Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to stuff more than a 245 tire under the rear fenders because I know it's going to need it!

collins
02-28-2008, 06:01 PM
no no no... read my whole post... i get it... i even said it... "for something that light, thats still a ton of power"

FoolsDrifFWD
02-28-2008, 06:20 PM
What i see that many fail to realize is that TQ is the enemy in a lightweight car. Too much TQ just turns the rear tires into liquid. So it makes plenty of sense to have a low tq/high hp motor in the car. Look at RX-7's, they don't make much tq, but any one pushing 400+rwhp is going to be straight up GONE....and not because of it's tq rating. I'd also be willing to bet the F1 engines don't have much tq compared to the hp output for this same reason.

:yes:

umairejaz
03-06-2008, 07:23 AM
What i see that many fail to realize is that TQ is the enemy in a lightweight car. Too much TQ just turns the rear tires into liquid. So it makes plenty of sense to have a low tq/high hp motor in the car.....I'd also be willing to bet the F1 engines don't have much tq compared to the hp output for this same reason.

Yes sr +1

Its supercharged its going to make plenty of torque in the mid/low end of the band.....

lol no, I doubt it.

and yes, torq is overated in a small lightweight car. With as little weight as the atom is, im sure it will have plenty enough to get around town in and at the track, good luck catching up!

DieselNuts
03-06-2008, 07:30 AM
I wonder if they will make an aftermarket pulley for the s/c? If they do, with that and a tune, Im sure 500rwhp would be easy.

Does anyone have more information on the engine? Like what kind of supercharger? Im willing to bet its a basic roots style :doh:

RUFFIAN
03-06-2008, 05:27 PM
That should be great. By the way Top Gear is the $hit.