PDA

View Full Version : Need some bike advice....

BobbyFresco
02-28-2008, 10:11 AM
I have always wanted to get a bike and now I'm finally going through
with it...
The problem is that I have never operated a bike.
So I would like some opinions on what my first bike should be.
I like the GSXR 600 and it's pretty much what I have my heart set on but not all that sure that it would be the smartest thing to start on.... I do however know that I don't really want to begin on anything less than a 600.

Any advice/input will be appreciated and compensated with reps...:goodjob:

GaGen2Teg
02-28-2008, 10:13 AM
i learned on a cbr f4i was a nice bike its a 600 and you can find them for pretty cheap. i like the gsxr's too though my brother had one.

EJ25RUN
02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
make sure you take the GA motorcycle class... it'll save ya!

GaGen2Teg
02-28-2008, 10:20 AM
x2

chuck
02-28-2008, 11:22 AM
you looking to buy new or used?? the new 600's may not be so bad becuase they'll have the mode select switch where you can tame them down when you are learning...you can make it perform like a little GS500.

used i'd go for a mid-late 90's 600...the power should be more manageable and you won't cry when you drop it.

x3 for the class too...

BobbyFresco
02-28-2008, 12:17 PM
you looking to buy new or used?? the new 600's may not be so bad becuase they'll have the mode select switch where you can tame them down when you are learning...you can make it perform like a little GS500.

used i'd go for a mid-late 90's 600...the power should be more manageable and you won't cry when you drop it.

x3 for the class too...

I'm probably going to buy a used just so like you said, if I drop it, I won't be as pissed....Once I get a little more comfortable I will upgrade or buy an additional bike.....

I've seen a few Ducati's that are decently priced...

Anyone have any input on Ducati's?

EJ25RUN
02-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Do it like this... out of a 100% scale 50% of the money should go to a GOOD helmet and proper gear.

Parts are more expensive for ducati vtwin and its not a good starter bike...

When you say decently priced...

you obviously are not taking about one of their sport bikes?

BobbyFresco
02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Do it like this... out of a 100% scale 50% of the money should go to a GOOD helmet and proper gear.

Parts are more expensive for ducati vtwin and its not a good starter bike...

When you say decently priced...

you obviously are not taking about one of their sport bikes?

I am for sure going to fork out money on good gear. Not even a question.

and LOL...what I might think is decently priced might not be the same for you.
The ones I was speaking of were in the 8-9k range.....

Price isn't really an issue...It's more about getting something that I won't be able to handle with my lack of experience.....

WickedIXMR
02-28-2008, 12:36 PM
If you have never ridden any kind of motorcycle before i would deff recommend you take the msf course. They teach you many things and you ride their bikes. Once you do that i would get a used 600. I have a r6 if you wanna buy it :)

EJ25RUN
02-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I am for sure going to fork out money on good gear. Not even a question.

and LOL...what I might think is decently priced might not be the same for you.
The ones I was speaking of were in the 8-9k range.....

Price isn't really an issue...It's more about getting something that I won't be able to handle with my lack of experience.....

8-9k is allot of money for something you are very likely to drop.

In that price bracket you could get a 08 CBR600RR which is better than any old Ducati unless its a 916.

If i were you, id get a Suzuki SV650.... used one to learn for 6 months then sell it....they keep their value very well and no bike has better praise in the industry.

With that experience, jump to a sport bike or whatever you want.

GIXXERDK
02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm preparing to get my bike sold, let me know if your interested.

Tarzanman
02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
2008 Kawasaki NInja 250 is what you need if you are a new rider.
$3500 new!

I do however know that I don't really want to begin on anything less than a 600.

Mmmm, no... you don't know squat. Put me on a 250cc and you on a 600cc and I will whoop your ass around a track all day.

There is no reason a new rider needs the full power of a 600. The only 600cc I would recommend as a starter is a Katana