PDA

View Full Version : NEWB from Canada, should I move to ATL?

jasonturbo
02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
So hello everyone, here's the deal!

I live in Edmonton AB Canada, and my folks moved to Powder Springs GA about two years ago, I've visited them a few times and really love it. (in all its hot and sticky glory) So I finally got out of school and into my job field working a shift of 21/7 and I find myself thinking about how much more I would enjoy living in ATL.

So I'm trying to convince myself I need to move to ATL and seeing as Im a car guy and active member in the Edmonton import scene, i figured I would check out ATL's import scene and see if it would help push me over the edge.

A little about me, I'm 23, I work for a pipeline and plant construction company, and have owned more cars at 23 then most will own in 3 lifetimes. I'm known locally for doing swaps and my quality of work, past projects include...

CRX w/ b16 then b18c5
EG hatchbacks.... probably 6 of them, all B series swapped, last one was k20a swapped and met its demise to the rampant car theft problem in Edmonton.
DEL SOL b18c5'd
91 Skyline gts w/ RB25det swap, I was the first one in Canada to swap rb20-25 as far as I know.
S13's 4 of them, 1 stayed ka24, one was ca18det'd and 2 were sr swapped
2000 civic SIR (Si for you guys states side) with drag gen 3 turbo kit
WRX swapped 2.5rs

Then there's about a dozen other cars I have built or am building, current affairs are a F20c s2k powered AE86 and a 93 supra getting the 700hp GT4088R treatment YAY!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=96059&l=8f3b0&id=713880150

sorry its the only pics I have on my laptop : )

It's sucks in Edmonton, the roads are beat, the winters are long, you get 4 months out of a summer car at most. ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE THERE AINT NO ^$#&* WAFFLE HOUSE IN EDMONTON!!!!!!

I dont know what to say, I came here looking for inspiration, so please free me from my igloo and let me ride into the sunset on something other then a dogsled....

Ok, maybe I went a little too far...

CONVINCE ME TO MOVE TO ATL PLEASE!!!

hondachik
02-27-2008, 10:24 PM
you currently live in canada..

nuff said. that should convince you right there to move to atl.

zoborax
02-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Stay in Canada! You can have skylines, pulsar GTiRs, JDM MKIV Supras (much cheaper), JDM 7's (again much cheaper), Federally (Canadian) legal, there! Also, the health care is FREE up there! If you do decide to come, see if you can bring me a decent Pulsar GTiR. I can get the money ;)

mocha latte cupcake
02-28-2008, 07:57 AM
i'm with buddy here! bring me Rnn14 :D but canada seems like a nice place but the import scene in ATL is always kickin, i live in South Carolina, and it sucks man i lived in ATL all my life and even though its cheaper here and what not the scene is non existent! so if your interested in coming down to get more import fun then i say go for it. but yes, choice of cars is better in canada for sure!

r_Senik
02-28-2008, 08:27 AM
car theft in canada??:thinking:

id stay in canada for free health care...

admedlin
02-28-2008, 09:10 AM
You guys do have cooler cars up there, better hockey teams, free health care.

We have nicer people, bigger import scene, Waffle House.

Hard decision, but I think Waffle House makes it worth it man!

Oh, and nice lineup of cars. Seems like you kinda know how to play with cars a little

AnthonyF
02-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Stay in Canada! You can have skylines, pulsar GTiRs, JDM MKIV Supras (much cheaper), JDM 7's (again much cheaper), Federally (Canadian) legal, there! Also, the health care is FREE up there! If you do decide to come, see if you can bring me a decent Pulsar GTiR. I can get the money ;)

x a zillion!!! but welcome ya damn Canuck (sp). lol. Our top mechanic at my shop is Canadian. went to G.T.

thepolecat
02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Welcome, sounds like you have already convinced yourself. I grew up in ATL and I love it. I have traveled alot but I am always happy to come back here.

quickdodgeŽ
02-28-2008, 09:42 AM
nuff said. that should convince you right there to move to atl.

Horrible advice. I'd stay up there. Later, QD.

_Christian_
02-28-2008, 09:45 AM
I'd move for the weather alone.

PCD
02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Dude,
How could there be any doubt???

Have you seen the hotties down here??? The roads are perfect gas is $3gal, beer is $20 case, and if you don't like it you can always move back.

I am from Regina and have lived here 30+ years, I have cousins in Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto and they are nice places to visit but no match for the ATL...

Racing is about 10 months out of the year and there are numerous Oval, Road and Drag tracks all around the area.

Bad : Humidity is a ***** but that is why they invented AC...

Hit my e-mail with any additioinal questions, glad to help a fellow Canuck out...EH.

Mark
PCD

Revmaynard
02-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Canada isn't a bad place to live, but for someone who's main hobby is somewhat outdoor I definitely love ATL. Hell, it'd be nice to see more quality rides in the metro area. More power to the move. :goodjob:

DieselNuts
02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Horrible advice. I'd stay up there. Later, QD.
Thats what I was thinking. I'd like to check it out up there and possibly move if its worth it.

jasonturbo
02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
One of the biggest draws for me is summer car all year, property is also dirt cheap compared to Edmonton, my parents house in Powder Springs is 300k, a similar house here is 750k+.

The variety of cars here is very interesting, mind you we have to conform to the 15 year rule and the federal gov. is cracking down on RHD cars. I have been very lucky to drive some interesting cars thats for sure. I was actually very excited about the GTI-r's as well, but it didnt live up to my expectations.

There are a few websites worth checking out if you have a RHD addiction lol, and I was thinking about bringing a RHD EG sir down there with me and leaving it registered in Alberta, same as I thought about bringing an EVO back to Edmonton lol.

Its pretty crazy what you can get into some cars for, and the RHD cars really hurt local guys selling LHD FD's, 300zx's etc the value was nearly cut in half.

www.importconcern.ca (http://www.importconcern.ca/) (check the broker stock, and parts, especially the wheels, if you're a wheel whore there's some good stuff)

www.tyeeimports.com (http://www.tyeeimports.com/)

There is probably another 20 importing company's, but those are the most picture intense.

Ya... I feel bad for the people here that dont know about WAHO, it's sad really, we dont have any good mexican food here either, tacotime is as good as it gets lol.

..GIRLS YOU SAY... I did notice a lot of pretty girls while I was there at christmas.

-Health care isnt really free, trust me, and I pay around 40% income tax between provincial and federal, they take sooo much money off my paychecks you wouldnt believe it.

HatchHero
02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
lol bring yo ass to da A!!

On_Her_Face
02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
So hello everyone, here's the deal!

I live in Edmonton AB Canada, and my folks moved to Powder Springs GA about two years ago, I've visited them a few times and really love it. (in all its hot and sticky glory) So I finally got out of school and into my job field working a shift of 21/7 and I find myself thinking about how much more I would enjoy living in ATL.

So I'm trying to convince myself I need to move to ATL and seeing as Im a car guy and active member in the Edmonton import scene, i figured I would check out ATL's import scene and see if it would help push me over the edge.

A little about me, I'm 23, I work for a pipeline and plant construction company, and have owned more cars at 23 then most will own in 3 lifetimes. I'm known locally for doing swaps and my quality of work, past projects include...

CRX w/ b16 then b18c5
EG hatchbacks.... probably 6 of them, all B series swapped, last one was k20a swapped and met its demise to the rampant car theft problem in Edmonton.
DEL SOL b18c5'd
91 Skyline gts w/ RB25det swap, I was the first one in Canada to swap rb20-25 as far as I know.
S13's 4 of them, 1 stayed ka24, one was ca18det'd and 2 were sr swapped
2000 civic SIR (Si for you guys states side) with drag gen 3 turbo kit
WRX swapped 2.5rs

Then there's about a dozen other cars I have built or am building, current affairs are a F20c s2k powered AE86 and a 93 supra getting the 700hp GT4088R treatment YAY!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=96059&l=8f3b0&id=713880150

sorry its the only pics I have on my laptop : )

It's sucks in Edmonton, the roads are beat, the winters are long, you get 4 months out of a summer car at most. ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE THERE AINT NO ^$#&* WAFFLE HOUSE IN EDMONTON!!!!!!

I dont know what to say, I came here looking for inspiration, so please free me from my igloo and let me ride into the sunset on something other then a dogsled....

Ok, maybe I went a little too far...

CONVINCE ME TO MOVE TO ATL PLEASE!!!

eh?

FlyingStroke240
02-28-2008, 06:35 PM
welcome

jasonturbo
02-28-2008, 08:52 PM
eh?

Im surprised it took that long.

SEAN
02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I too am originally from Edmonton and have been down in the States the last 30 + years...Atlanta the last 10 years...allot more opportunities to be had here in comparison...I miss the beauty of Canada but honestly couldn't have the life I have here up there...the warmer weather and very little if any amount of snow is a big draw as well...come on down!

Hulud
02-28-2008, 10:45 PM
how the f*ck can you love powder springs?

i mean even LOVE most of Ga?

Tech5
02-28-2008, 10:50 PM
welcome

bRiAnMcIvIcS
02-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Welcome to IA!

jfman
02-28-2008, 11:24 PM
A big EH! from a fellow Canadian ! Been here for nine years and still loving it.