PDA

View Full Version : I need help on a SLR purchase decision.

BUGMAN
02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Here are the 2 that I am trying to decide between. I am leaning towards the Canon package but wanted to make sure I am not missing something important. I am wanting this mostly to capture action shots so the fps has a good bit to do with the comparisons.

Thanks for any criticism on either brand.

Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera $829.00
Capture every vivid detail with the professional-grade Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP digital SLR camera. This package also includes a high-powered telephoto zoom lens for honing in on subjects from afar.

V.S.

Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera D40 $549.99
DX-format RGB CCD; 18-55mm DX Zoom-Nikkor lens; 2.5" TFT-LCD; Image Processing Engine; Digital Vari-Program modes; direct-print capability

dp32185
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
what kind of lens does the canon come with?

BUGMAN
02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmprd85800050000&skuId=999985800050000&type=product&childSku=7989901&count=1) Digital Rebel XTi
Canon - EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmprd85800050000&skuId=999985800050000&type=product&childSku=2823760&count=2) C21-9892

itsnotarex
02-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Dude go with the d40. Unless you're shooting poster-sized prints you don't need more than 3 or 4mp. Nikon quality is excellent, and you get a lot of camera for the price. I've used a D40 before and they give great results and are very intuitive. I think you'll also find the kit lens to be rather useful until you spring for

The Canon is a great camera as well but, like I said, more than any average photographer will ever need.

You'd be happy with either, but I think you'd be more happy with the Nikon and the extra 300 or so dollars. Just my .02.

BUGMAN
02-25-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a D-50 made by Nikon that I really like a lot but I bought this one a while back and have been using it recently and like it pretty much also. Just wanting to add to my collection and have something new to play with (figure out).

Here is my most recent addition and I still use it a good bit.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e500-review/

CRAZY_JAY
02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
You are not comparing apples to apples. You are asking about a Canon with 2 lenses and a Nikon with 1 lens. The Xti with one lens goes for $599 on keh.com so the price between the 2 cameras with one lens is marginal. The extra megapixels will help if you need to crop any of your pictures. Since you are planning to do action shots the second Canon lens will be a tremendous help if the "action" is not relatively close and would have to be purchased extra with the Nikon.

Before somebody bashes me for not suggesting better quality glass...
The kit lenses that come with these cameras are not the best quality and if you are really serious about photography you will end up spending much more on lenses than the camera body.

BUGMAN
02-25-2008, 11:07 PM
You are not comparing apples to apples. You are asking about a Canon with 2 lenses and a Nikon with 1 lens. The Xti with one lens goes for $599 on keh.com so the price between the 2 cameras with one lens is marginal. The extra megapixels will help if you need to crop any of your pictures. Since you are planning to do action shots the second Canon lens will be a tremendous help if the "action" is not relatively close and would have to be purchased extra with the Nikon.

Before somebody bashes me for not suggesting better quality glass...
The kit lenses that come with these cameras are not the best quality and if you are really serious about photography you will end up spending much more on lenses than the camera body.

Understood and I agree 100% but which body would you prefer? I am not worried at all about the additional lens but more concerned about which body would be best in quality.

I will hopefully do some large prints of the family if I ever have time to take pictures at the drag strip.

bandydesign
02-25-2008, 11:11 PM
I think you might want to choose what lenses you will want down the road and then choose the body off of that. I have a D50 and everyone I know has a Canon but one person. Its a mac/pc, ford/gm type of thing

CRAZY_JAY
02-25-2008, 11:26 PM
I am bias since I have the Xti I am going to say buy an Xti. It is faster for action (frames per second) and has a higher megapixel.

bandydesign
02-25-2008, 11:28 PM
mine is soooo slow btwn pix lol

sleepys4
02-27-2008, 01:01 AM
I used to have a xti until someone stole it. I loved very versatile and it was pretty quick for what it was. Also i believe it has more af points than the d40. Also the best buy deal is pretty good, I saw it when i was on the store today. Canon Ftw! Hope this helps fellow. If you wanted something a little faster I have a 40d now and its a beast of a camera I think. Still trying t o figure out how to use it though.

changaroo
02-27-2008, 01:29 AM
i normally dont recommend people from either camera brand, but i will steer people away from the d40.

its so dumb. not all lenses work on the body, well they will work, but some will not AF. it also has 3 focus points vs the 9 you get on the xti.

if you must get nikon, at least settle for the d50.

bandydesign
02-27-2008, 02:32 AM
d50 ftw! lol

Nemesis
02-27-2008, 06:32 AM
I didnt read the whole thing to see what was mentioned, but Canon box lenses are garbage. Nikon tosses in ED glass into kits. Not being biased because I like Canon, just stating a truth.

BUGMAN
02-27-2008, 06:33 AM
i normally dont recommend people from either camera brand, but i will steer people away from the d40.

its so dumb. not all lenses work on the body, well they will work, but some will not AF. it also has 3 focus points vs the 9 you get on the xti.

if you must get nikon, at least settle for the d50.

I love my d-50 and unless it gets lost I will keep it until I wear it down to nothing. Yeah the focus points, versatility and the 3 fps @ full capacity is what I am liking the most.

Thanks!

BUGMAN
02-27-2008, 06:35 AM
I used to have a xti until someone stole it. I loved very versatile and it was pretty quick for what it was. Also i believe it has more af points than the d40. Also the best buy deal is pretty good, I saw it when i was on the store today. Canon Ftw! Hope this helps fellow. If you wanted something a little faster I have a 40d now and its a beast of a camera I think. Still trying t o figure out how to use it though.

How many fps does the d40 have and does the AF work as good as the XTI did? I have heard good and bad on both sides so it is good to see someone that has used both.

Thanks!

Nemesis
02-27-2008, 09:27 AM
I wouldnt compare the D40 to the Xti. Compare the D80 to the Xti would be a better comparison.

sleepys4
02-27-2008, 10:09 AM
How many fps does the d40 have and does the AF work as good as the XTI did? I have heard good and bad on both sides so it is good to see someone that has used both.

Thanks!

I know how have a 40D not a D40. Lol.

Hondatypr636
02-27-2008, 11:04 AM
For a 100 bucks more you can get a D40x which is a 10.1 mp thats what i have. I was gonna get a D40 but for the price the D40x is the way to go. Great camera.

BUGMAN
02-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I know how have a 40D not a D40. Lol.

Quit picking on my OLD azz... :screwy:

dp32185
02-27-2008, 07:56 PM
go see which one fits your hand the best. you can try out my canon XTi with battery grip if you'd like. i drive by your house going to work everyday...

my canon without battery grip puts a good strain on my right hand. for me, the grip is too small. i bought a battery grip and now the grip is perfect...but the extra weight puts a different type of strain on my right hand. i try not to whine too much about it...but it's a b1tch sometimes.

the nikon on the other hand...felt sooo damn good when i went to try it at bestbuy. i wish i would've tried gripping first before purchasing on the net. and also, without image stabilizer (IS) feature, it's not easy to get clean shots while zoomed in...especially taking moving pics such as cars. i have the same 75-300mm lens you would be getting in that package so if you want to check it out with it on the body...that's an option too :)

DinanM3atl
02-27-2008, 08:02 PM
For a 100 bucks more you can get a D40x which is a 10.1 mp thats what i have. I was gonna get a D40 but for the price the D40x is the way to go. Great camera.

Read some reviews, many would argue that the d40 is a better camera than the d40x. The d40x was thrown together quickly when Canon dropped the XTi and 10mp in the entry level dSLR.

BUGMAN
02-27-2008, 09:10 PM
go see which one fits your hand the best. you can try out my canon XTi with battery grip if you'd like. i drive by your house going to work everyday...

my canon without battery grip puts a good strain on my right hand. for me, the grip is too small. i bought a battery grip and now the grip is perfect...but the extra weight puts a different type of strain on my right hand. i try not to whine too much about it...but it's a b1tch sometimes.

the nikon on the other hand...felt sooo damn good when i went to try it at bestbuy. i wish i would've tried gripping first before purchasing on the net. and also, without image stabilizer (IS) feature, it's not easy to get clean shots while zoomed in...especially taking moving pics such as cars. i have the same 75-300mm lens you would be getting in that package so if you want to check it out with it on the body...that's an option too :)

Then you should of already dropped by. WTF are ya waiting on?

How do you know where I live and who is this? :thinking:

Dam CRS is killing me.

BUGMAN
02-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Read some reviews, many would argue that the d40 is a better camera than the d40x. The d40x was thrown together quickly when Canon dropped the XTi and 10mp in the entry level dSLR.

I agree with ya on the reviews but they didn't give the Olympus very good ratings and I love the heck out of it especially for moving shots. I bought it on a whim one night @ Sams club expecting the worst.

Believe it or not it is one of my favs. now.

harrisonsaid
02-27-2008, 09:36 PM
If you want to think long term, Canon L glass, unbeatable. I don't know what i did before my 24-70 2.8L. That alone would steer me towards canon