PDA

View Full Version : Standard size range needed? or get _.5 metric sizes?

Schugg
02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
i posted back a few months back for getting the size range of tools needed for working on hondas, cause thats all i really mess with. but cause they are all metric, i cant do much else. so i came to the conclusion that im going to need standard size wrenches/and sockets at some point in time too. i was trying to figure out what the size range would be that i need just for cars in general. i was also wondering if instead of get standard tools if i could just go with all the metric sizes and a half. i noticed in this little kit i got a while back the sizes went from 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, and so on. (not sure if they have that in all sizes, but if they do...) would i be able to just get those instead of the standard stuff. i dont see there being much room left for any other sizes if i got all the .5 sizes.

Schugg
02-26-2008, 06:45 PM
no body knows??!

1NonlyAccord
02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
depends on what your doing on the car.body panels are usually 10mm or so.
iv used 5.5 a few times at the shop but it was for headlight covers rubber covers,but that was on a ford ranger.
i just have a craftsman box with the 1/4-1/2 with standard and metric inside sets all the way up to 32+
but like i said i work at a bodyshop and it really depends on what part your working on.

Annihilation
02-26-2008, 07:16 PM
8, 10 , 12, 13, 14, 17, 19, 21, 32,
12point sockets ( 17mm and 10mm, 12mm )

blah just get a whole set of metric socket and wrenches

Schugg
02-26-2008, 07:44 PM
i already have a pretty good metric set, what i was asking is if i got the metric sizes that are size.5 will i even need sae stuff? for now i have all of these in deep and shallow sockets, all are 6points. i probably dont need to but i want to get the exact same thing but in 12 points sockets.

1/4 - 5-14mm
3/8 - 10-19mm
1/2 - 12-21mm

then i have 7-19mm reversable ratcheting wrenches, and 7-19mm normal wrenches

ive spent quite a bit just on the wrenches and sockets, but now thats started my little took box i want to get all standard too, still some metric stuff i want to get, but 26+ dollars for a 20, or 21mm wrench it can wait till i need it.

00CelicaGT
02-26-2008, 08:08 PM
most cars now days are all metrick i work for cadillac and i have nothing but metric in my tool but but eventually bought some standard because we get used vehicles to work on. so for the most part the only manufacture that i can think of that uses standard is Ford and thats older Fords, Ford has pretty much changed over to metric.

just buy a basic set of standard scokets, wrenches just in case u ever run across a vehicle wit standard size bolts on it.

Schugg
02-26-2008, 08:19 PM
thank god, i hate standard i want it to be extinct! haha, this just means ill make my metric set bigger, and buy some cheap standard kit to hide in the bottom of my box. hopefully your right.