PDA

View Full Version : Main Relay?

TheChosenOne
02-25-2008, 03:20 AM
Ok, so My car wouldn't start, and I realized my fuel pump wasn't priming. So I replaced the fuel pump.

Now, the car still wont start! It turns over, but it won't start! A few people have mentioned that it might be my main relay, but when I turn the key to the on position, I can hear and feel it "clicking". It's not hot or anything. WTF could be the problem?!?!

GSRtegŪ
02-25-2008, 03:57 AM
Do you hear you fuel pump at all when you turn the key?

TheChosenOne
02-25-2008, 04:08 AM
no.

GSRtegŪ
02-25-2008, 04:23 AM
no.

Alright check your ground wires the one on the tranny to the body and the one from the core support to the VC. If thats not he problem then it might be the main relay.

GSRtegŪ
02-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Also another question when you turn the key does the instrument panel light up anything?

happysol1982
02-25-2008, 08:58 AM
It probably ain't the main relay. 9 chances out of 10 it is a back magnetic pick-up in the distributor. My neighbor has a prelude that did the exact same thing. and after I tested the coil and found out it was not firing I checked the magnetic pick-up and it was bad. He then replaced the distributor and it fired right up. The reason it will cause the symptoms you are having is because it registers a rpm signal from the distributor. If the pick-up is not working then it is not registering a rpm signal, therefore it will not run the fuel pump or fire spark or injectors. If you need some more help just holla at me and I will help you the best I can.

Grimm Reeper
02-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Dude it's the Main Relay, you can get one from autozone. When you said that you heard a knocking noise that was a clear indication that your relay has went bad. That's a quick fix, wish you had my number just to give me call when ever you run into anymore problems.

blaknoize
02-25-2008, 09:52 AM
No... if its the dizzy, he's gonna be pissed. Yall KNOW I've been through 4 of those bishes! Though the fuel pump doesnt prime, so maybe so. Try relay, then blame the dizzy. FUK THAT DIZZY!!

Grimm Reeper
02-25-2008, 10:46 AM
No... if its the dizzy, he's gonna be pissed. Yall KNOW I've been through 4 of those bishes! Though the fuel pump doesnt prime, so maybe so. Try relay, then blame the dizzy. FUK THAT DIZZY!!

Did you hear a clicking noise when they decided to go bad :thinking:

I can wait :D for your answer...

TheChosenOne
02-25-2008, 11:06 AM
When I get home today, I'm going to check the main realy and the ground wires, and hopefully its not the dizzy.

Grimm Reeper
02-25-2008, 11:11 AM
I had the same problem some time ago. I heard the noise coming from the relay so all I did was replace that and my car started up and stayed on. :goodjob:

silversol
02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
check the agc fuse under the dash that runs the fuel pump

thepolecat
02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
sounds similar to my problem last summer- I ended up needing a whole new ignition.

TheChosenOne
02-25-2008, 07:08 PM
PHUCK!!!

I bought a brand new Main Relay, new fuel pump, and it still wont work! This is really pissing me off. I need this car to work so that I can get to work!

THIS IS PAST A CRY FOR HELP! THIS IS A BEGGING OF MERCY!!!

someone please help me.:cry:

TheChosenOne
02-25-2008, 07:11 PM
check the agc fuse under the dash that runs the fuel pump
Where is it? In the fuse pod? Oh, I see it. What does it do? Anyway, im bout to go check it right now!

TheChosenOne
02-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Just checked the agc fuse. It was good, but I replaced it anyway... STILL WONT START!

PURP
02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Dizzy

TheChosenOne
02-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Dizzy
Would the dizzy cause the fuel pump not to prime? The weird thing is, I just went to change the fuel pump again, and although it isn't "priming" when I loosened the fuel pressure line, fuel was quirting out! :thinking: ...

So, I think im still getting fuel pressure, but I swear im not crazy! My walbro used to be able to be heard coming on, now it's silent, but I when I take of the fuel line from the tank, it spews gas. And for the record, yes, I have taken the line off a few times since this problem had occured so no its not left over gas.

Tommorrow I am going to get the Dizzy tested and check and re-check all of my grounds. If all that fails, it looks like I will have yet another car up for trade/sale...:(

silversol
02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
have you check to see if you are getting spark?

GSRtegŪ
02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Did you check the ground wires?

Grimm Reeper
02-25-2008, 09:48 PM
I talked to him about checking the spark. He says that he doesn't hear the fuel pump switching on and I also told him to check all the grounds inside the engine bay along with checking the fuses in there as well. :thinking:

happysol1982
02-25-2008, 10:07 PM
The fuel pump will run for an instant if the dizzy is bad. It may not run long enough for you to hear. The reason it dosen't keep running is because it uses a rpm signal to the ecu to trigger the fuel pump. Basically the rpm signal tells the ecu you are cranking it. Where you live?? I can help if you live somewhere in my area. PM me if you have any questions.

Thighs
02-25-2008, 10:12 PM
i its the main relay, NOTHING on the car should work.

jadakid88
02-25-2008, 10:39 PM
its the dizzy trust me! dont ask how i know!:rolleyes:

jadakid88
02-25-2008, 10:44 PM
and if the main relay was bad it wouldnt make all three clicks from when you turn the ignition! and check your ecu fuse! if you have same problem as i had, it would be blown as well. my problem was my dizzy had a fire in it and when i would try to crank the broken coil and other parts in the dizzy that sparked, would blow my ecu fuse causin my fuel pump not to kick on. i changed the dizzy and ecu fuse problem solved. your porblem sounds exactly like mine. i replaced the main relay and did a fresh tune up and nothin untili finally changed my dizzy!

jadakid88
02-25-2008, 10:44 PM
and if the main relay was bad it wouldnt make all three clicks from when you turn the ignition! and check your ecu fuse! if you have same problem as i had, it would be blown as well. my problem was my dizzy had a fire in it and when i would try to crank the broken coil and other parts in the dizzy that sparked, would blow my ecu fuse causin my fuel pump not to kick on. i changed the dizzy and ecu fuse problem solved. your porblem sounds exactly like mine. i replaced the main relay and did a fresh tune up and nothin untili finally changed my dizzy!

Grimm Reeper
02-25-2008, 10:47 PM
and if the main relay was bad it wouldnt make all three clicks from when you turn the ignition!

To be honest with you, it would :goodjob:

Happened to me. It would start and then die, made clicking noise from when I tried to start it again. The next day I replaced my Main Relay, and it fired right up without any problems.

TheChosenOne
02-25-2008, 11:02 PM
its the dizzy trust me! dont ask how i know!:rolleyes:
I'm gunns replace it tommorrow! :goodjob:

I've checked and double checked all the fuses and grounds, but when I cheched it for spark... dead. It's gotta be the dizzy. Hopefully AutoZone has warrentys on em' cause that's where I got it from less than a year ago! :rolleyes:

Grimm Reeper
02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Cool get it done man :goodjob:

Who installed the motor for you ? :thinking:

TheChosenOne
02-25-2008, 11:05 PM
The fuel pump will run for an instant if the dizzy is bad. It may not run long enough for you to hear. The reason it dosen't keep running is because it uses a rpm signal to the ecu to trigger the fuel pump. Basically the rpm signal tells the ecu you are cranking it. Where you live?? I can help if you live somewhere in my area. PM me if you have any questions.
Yea dude... I live in gwinnett. If you wanted to come out here, then I wouldn't turn down the help, but I think monroe is kinda far.:rolleyes:

GSRtegŪ
02-25-2008, 11:19 PM
GL on finding the problem and how many times have you replaced the dizzy already?

jadakid88
02-25-2008, 11:33 PM
no it wouldnt! if you turn the ignition and do not all three clicks from the main relay the car will NOT turn on! but is problem sounds exactly like the one I had!
To be honest with you, it would :goodjob:

Happened to me. It would start and then die, made clicking noise from when I tried to start it again. The next day I replaced my Main Relay, and it fired right up without any problems.

Grimm Reeper
02-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Wow.....lol so I guess I'm wrong then, since you're obviously a ASE technician or honda-tech :goodjob: . Ohh and you know what I still have that bad relay in my garage how about when I get back in town we meet up so that we see or shall I say hear what happens.

Grimm Reeper
02-25-2008, 11:55 PM
But you know I'm not here to argue with you, I'm here to help out a friend since I'm not able to actually be there to help.

happysol1982
02-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey Chosen One. I actually work at the Pepboys in Lilburn. So Gwinnett is not bad for me... If you need help just holla.

TheChosenOne
02-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Cool get it done man :goodjob:

Who built the LS/VTEC for you ? :thinking:
What LS/VTEC???

:ninja:

TheChosenOne
02-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Hey Chosen One. I actually work at the Pepboys in Lilburn. So Gwinnett is not bad for me... If you need help just holla.
Swweeeeeet. Pm me your number or something. No homo.:D

TheChosenOne
02-26-2008, 01:24 AM
GL on finding the problem and how many times have you replaced the dizzy already?
Uh... like 3 times... lol. But I have a bad feeling the first two times were dummy missions. It eneded up being a bad engine harness. :crazy: . I shoulda never got rid of the MSD!

TheChosenOne
02-26-2008, 11:40 PM
ok. Update.

I have offically changed the Main Relay, Fuel Pump, and Distributor, Rotor & Cap! This thing still wont run!

I think I might need a compression check. :( . That's the only other thing I can think of. Im going to try and start it in the morning, I might have flooded the engine because I tried to start it a couple of times without the dizzy plugs connected.

I am on my last breath with this car. Next is the shop. :cry:

Does anyone have a compression tester?

Grimm Reeper
02-26-2008, 11:59 PM

I guess he's still going through your exact same problem, right :goodjob:

but Jordan all I can say is to check every wire in the engine bay, make sure again that all the grounds are grounded, that the starter is still good (there's a way to check to see if the solenoid is still good), check your fuses inside the bay again, and the fuel pump thing......:thinking: ohhh and try this just for the sake of trying unplug the battery and unplug the ecu, do you have another ecu around to check and see if your ecu has went bad :thinking: , if your still awake you can give me a call or just hit me up tomorrow :goodjob:

happysol1982
02-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Hey I can come help you on thursday. I am off of work justgive me a call and I will set it up to come help ya. Later

TheChosenOne
02-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey I can come help you on thursday. I am off of work justgive me a call and I will set it up to come help ya. Later
That would be great. I got your pm, so i'll give you a call tommorrow to set it up.

EG SQUAD... I Love you guys....:cry: .

aight.... enough of that mushy stuff. lol:D

GSRtegŪ
02-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Check and re-check everything again man. :yes:

TheChosenOne
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Aight, I tried to roll start it, but still no luck. After all those attempts of trying to start my car in the last few days, I realized that my problem could have just been the dizzy since it was cracked in half. Well, that means that the fuel pump has been working and squirtting all that fuel in my cylinders. So, I took out all my spark plugs, and they were as black as Wesley Snipes. Not to mention there was hella gas in all for cylinders.

So, next I think I'm going to sand the char off the plugs, recharge my battery, and let some of the fuel evaporate for a while, then try again. :rolleyes:

happysol1982
02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Hey cool, just call me.

GSRtegŪ
02-28-2008, 03:30 AM
Anything new happen did you get it running? :thinking:

thepolecat
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I still say ignition. I tried all of the things you did and finally i had to break down and take it to Honda- within an hour they told me. and By the next day is was up and running perfectly. I swapped out all the things you are swapping too.

TheChosenOne
03-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Lol, well im parting it out now, so if you need anything hit a brother up.