PDA

View Full Version : Misc Starting Salaries for the Top Ten Majors

C22H19N3O4
08-09-2005, 09:51 AM
I think they left out a few but can always go to salary.com to research whatever you want. (www.salary.com)

Starting Annual Salaries for Ten of PrincetonReview.com's Most-Viewed Majors*

Major Salary
Electrical Engineering $51,372
Accounting $41,110
Economics/Finance $40,906
Business Administration/Management $38,188
Marketing $35,321
Political Science $32,999
English $31,169
Biology $29,750
Psychology $27,791
Journalism $27,646

*NACE Summer 2004 Salary Survey

Jaimecbr900
08-09-2005, 12:10 PM
To be honest, most of the "numbers" that all these places come up with are very skewed. I know people that have "accounting degrees" and are not making $40k/yr.

If you use these numbers in order to choose a course of study, you will likely end up both dissapointed and frustrated when you graduate because you won't merely step into these high dollar salaries like you thought.

The only course of studies that you can truly bank on starting salary figures on are professional type jobs, i.e. doctors, dentists, pharmacists, lawyers, policeman, fireman, etc. All those jobs have a pretty tangible starting salary history. Everyone knows that a doctors starts out making money the second they start their residency. The hours suck ass for a few years, but eventually they make oodles of money in a private practice or specialize in something. Police start out, as most gov't jobs, with a definite and predictable pay scale. The same goes for the rest of the jobs listed above.

My point is that noone should really put too much emphasis on published "pay scales" except for jobs that are pretty standardized. If you get an "accounting" degree, you could use that in several completely different jobs and therefore two completely different salaries.

Choose a major by looking at what you're likely to do, rather than chasing money. If your family owns their own business and you're likely to follow suit, then choose a major that would help you in that rather than something you'll never use. For example, if your family owns a widgit business that exports widgits to China, well you would be well suited for a management degree or an business degree or even a double major with a minor in foreign language to be able to manage the business one day. An accounting degree probably wouldn't help much there because most of the actual accounting in a business is usually done by a dedicated OUTSIDE accountant once or a few times a year. Follow where I'm going?

Too often people enter college with only their imaginary pocket book in mind and daydream about the days when all that imaginary cash is going to simply roll on in. Reality is that a degree is merely a starting point to anyone's intended career. It guarantees noone any salary. It only guarantees that you learned some basic skills you will fine tune and emerge out in the real work field. High salaries are not usually just given because of a degree. Sometimes the lack of a degree will KEEP you from getting more money in a certain position, but I've seen quite a few people overcome that too.

C22H19N3O4
08-09-2005, 02:16 PM
The days of "do what you love and the money will come" are long gone. I don't know how long it's been since you've been out of college, but money is a prerequisite in determining a major these days. Do you really believe students are paying for 4 yrs. and perhaps grad work for what they're "likely" to do? The number one major on the list in my other post is a generic degree IMO. Generic, meaning you can put that degree to use in any workplace, whether it be a Mcdonald's or a financial firm. My point is, a degree needs to be very specific to your chosen career. My degrees will guarantee me a salary and I will have a job coming out of my last year, unlike some of the majors listed. I've never witnessed a situation where a degree will keep you from getting more money. Perhaps it's the environment in which you are accustom to. I am a firm believer that an education is the key to success. There is a reason why enrollment for non-traditional students is soring. They know the education and "real world" experience they've obtained is not sufficient to compete with the 25 year grad student. The salaries posted are median numbers, so there is wiggle room. Incoming college students need to realize what will be in demand in 4-6 years and how they can work to make themselves more marketable now. Let's not make your personal experiences the gospel.

Jaimecbr900
08-09-2005, 04:24 PM
The days of "do what you love and the money will come" are long gone.

You think so? Well, let me ask you this question then: What do you base that statement on? I'm willing to gamble and say that you personally don't have the work experience to come up with that hypothesis. So are you just reading this is off some brochure your guidance counselor gave you or what? Because I know quite a few people that are making 6 figure salaries AND LOVE their jobs, the majority of which don't even have a college degree. How's that work then???? :rolleyes:

I don't know how long it's been since you've been out of college

What's that got to do with it? Did you new young folks suddenly re-discover the wheel? Maybe found another planet that affects the earth's gravitational pull and changes the way REAL BOSSES THINK?? Maybe the rules at work have changed so drastically since I graduated that suddenly NOW you are given experience as part of your college curriculum????? :rolleyes:

but money is a prerequisite in determining a major these days.

Then just like I explained in the other thread, you are going about your studies in the totally wrong direction. A degree, unless it's in something like Medicine or Law or something where you go to work directly for the gov't, doesn't guarantee you squat. You keep thinking that way and come talk to me when you graduate.

The number one major on the list in my other post is a generic degree IMO. Generic, meaning you can put that degree to use in any workplace, whether it be a Mcdonald's or a financial firm.

Gee, I wonder why it's NUMBER 1, yet by your definition is the WRONG one... :rolleyes: Again, you're trying to re-invent the wheel. It is the most popular because it is a very USEFUL one. You think that there are soooo many HIGH DOLLAR jobs just sitting around waiting on newbie wet behind the ears graduates that are looking JUST for a simple degree as the ONLY prerequisite of employment?????? Wake up. Life is nothing like that. Pick up the paper every once in a while, talk to somebody who is actually in the field you are thinking about going into, talk to some grown folks that have been working longer than you've been out of diapers, and you'll see more often than not that I am right about this. Experience trumps a degree when the degree is the only thing you have. So therefore a more VERSITILE degree will be better for you than a specialized one in terms of employability, period. A specialized degree will only get you into possibly ONE job, whereas a generalized degree will qualify you for MANY. Unless your studying to be a Doctor, Lawyer, or the like....your "degree" will net you no more money than someone with a generalized degree. What you do once employed is what will set you apart from someone else, not your degree.

My point is, a degree needs to be very specific to your chosen career.

I just explained why it doesn't always need to.

My degrees will guarantee me a salary and I will have a job coming out of my last year, unlike some of the majors listed.

Really? I'll bite then, what kind of salary is it you're "GUARANTEED"???? What kind of degree(s) is it you're getting? What kind of "job" are you already counting on as "in the bag" when you graduate???

I've never witnessed a situation where a degree will keep you from getting more money. Perhaps it's the environment in which you are accustom to.

That's probably because you've not been in the real job market in your life yet. Maybe it's because you've never had to make the decision between one job applicant and another. Maybe it's because you want to believe so badly that your chosen course of study is the absolute right one that you are blinded to the possibility that sometimes a generalized one will work just as well for 90% of the people (hence it's popularity...hmmmm :rolleyes: ).

"Environment I'm accustomed to"......are you trying to say that I have some menial job sweeping streets or something???? I hope you're not that dumb, are you??? Let me put it this way, anytime you wanna compare paystubs, I'll be happy to show you mine so your jaw can hit the ground and you feel uber stupid for thinking that I'm some kind of peon somewhere. You may wanna ask around my friend. I won't even have to say a word to brag on what I have. Some of your buddies right around here KNOW and can clearly tell you I'm far from a peon. So don't sit there and try to be smug and talk down to me when I'm the one that's been working in the same field for longer than you've even been ALLOWED to work.

I am a firm believer that an education is the key to success.

Change that to "one of the keys to success" and I'll finally agree with you.

There is a reason why enrollment for non-traditional students is soring. They know the education and "real world" experience they've obtained is not sufficient to compete with the 25 year grad student.

Newsflash, a 25yr old grad student doesn't know crap except what's been taught to them out of a book. Some of the most intelligent people in the world have never attended college nor gotten a degree.

The salaries posted are median numbers, so there is wiggle room. Incoming college students need to realize what will be in demand in 4-6 years and how they can work to make themselves more marketable now. Let's not make your personal experiences the gospel.

You or anyone else doesn't have to listen to me. I really could care less if you do or not. But keep thinking that you've got it made in the shade and are "guaranteed" this and "guaranteed" that when you get your little piece of paper.......you'll remember one day that you had this conversation with me I promise you. I too was arrogant and thought I knew it all at 20 something.......

Let me close by saying this: A specialized degree is only good for people who have ALREADY chosen their career without a doubt. A specialized degree is only good for those people that are going into careers that REQUIRE a specialized degree to remotely qualify, ie. doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, nurses, etc. Unless you have chosen a field in which a specialized degree is required, you are wasting your time and money in going after a "degree" because your mom's friend's sister's cousin read in her magazine that it would make you money.

Like I said, only a handful of degrees can safely say they'll earn you X amount of money minimum. After that, education is definetly great, but a degree doesn't "guarantee" you squat.

C22H19N3O4
08-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Again, I'm appalled at what you think is applicable to everyone. You want to compare paystubs but you claim money isn't everything. Then, you want compare your "illustrious" career with my chosen career that hasn't not taken off yet? I hope you can fit through a door with that giant ego. Furthermore, if you would have paid attention, you would know what my chosen career is, but you're too busy ranting about your rags to riches story.
Come back to me in 5 years and then we'll compare paychecks. I guess the 26y/o Pharms I know making $100k+ made some wrong decisions. LoL..again I find it hilarious that you think what you've "seen" and "experienced" somehow applies to everyone. Perhaps you should start a thread for people with no direction and shed some light on how a lone Business degree will turn them into Sam Walton after 20 years of work...lol. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :D

technoteg97
08-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Business Administration/Management $38,188

My dad does that shit..but he makes way more then that figure right there..

C22H19N3O4
08-09-2005, 11:01 PM
You may want to try reading the actual posts. The listed salaries are median. You do know what that is...right? BTW, thanks for adding your tidbits of widsom to the thread. You don't by any chance have a "general" Business degree do you? LoL

technoteg97
08-09-2005, 11:11 PM
dude..why tha hell are you talkin bs about this? I dont care anymore im only 19 chill..I go to floyd college at north metro tech. den im gunna attend ksu

C22H19N3O4
08-09-2005, 11:16 PM
If you're not going to add anything of significance take it elsewhere. BTW, learn how to spell THEN at KSU. Goodluck.

technoteg97
08-09-2005, 11:17 PM
..damn this is not english class..you tard..im outta this thread peace.

C22H19N3O4
08-09-2005, 11:23 PM
I dont care anymore im only 19

Jaime, you should be more concerned with the above comment..lol. Only 19? You'll be saying the same thing when you're 21 and then 25.

technoteg97
08-09-2005, 11:29 PM
no..Im gunna be friggin married n have a great life when im 25 or atleast engaged to be married...skrew that shit. if im still in college when im 25 ill just drop dead .

Jaimecbr900
08-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Again, I'm appalled at what you think is applicable to everyone.

You are putting words that I never uttered into my mouth. You need to go back and re-read my posts.

The sole disagreement I have with you is your smug ass attitude that ONLY specialized degrees are the ONLY degrees to have because that is obviuosly what YOU are seeking and according to you the only ones that "make money". And my whole stance on that has been that is simply not true. For professionals like Doctors, nurses, pharmacists, lawyers, etc. that is in fact true. For the vast majority of everyone else, it is not.

Put it this way: You have your happy little Pharmacy degree and go out to the big bad real world to seek your FIRST position as a pharmacist somewhere. The decision for the position comes down to you and another candidate. The ONLY difference between the two of you is his "degree" is not from Mercer Univ or UGA but from a little school in Kansas BUT he has 2 yrs experience and you have ZERO. Who do you think is going to get the job?????

Another scenario: You have a Pharmacy degree and Joe Schmo has a BA. Yall both apply for a position with ABC Medical supplies as a Director of one of their depts. He has experience in management and YOU don't. He has that "lesser" degree to your "superior" specialized one. Again, who do you think will get the job??? In this scenario your degree means very little because it is not centered around Pharmacy only. If it were, you'd be the hands down winner, but only in the PHARMACY setting. In the other 50 million job possibilities it's worthless. Follow now?

Come back to me in 5 years and then we'll compare paychecks. I guess the 26y/o Pharms I know making $100k+ made some wrong decisions. LoL.

Gladly. You wanna put money on that? Maybe I get your paycheck if mine is higher??? What you fail to understand that I have very good friends who are ALREADY Pharmacists pal. Not yet Pharmacists, working Pharmacists. I know how much a Pharmacist makes. My aunt is a Pharmacist and has been as long as I can remember. So don't sit there all smug and think for a minute that I have noooo clue what a Pharmacist makes. I know exactly what a Pharmacist makes and judging by your estimates.....I may know MORE than YOU do..... ;)

You have turned this into way more than what it was intended. I don't like your smug ass attitude that YOUR "degree" is sooo much better than a measly ole businees degree or any other degree for that matter.

#1- you don't have shit yet. Brag AFTER you have graduated. Brag AFTER you are making money. Brag AFTER you've got a JOB. Until then it's merely pompous and arrogant to do so. Especially when someone who's already BEEN THERE is telling you to cool it.

#2- I said I had an issue with the #'s game because there is no way to substantiate those numbers. In other words, those numbers are skewed. Some Pharmacists make $100k/yr whereas some make $50k/yr. So therefore if you say that a Pharmacy degree will "guarantee" you $100k/yr it is FALSE. A better statement would be to say, "Pharmacists can make upwards of a $100k....or Pharmacists make around $80K/yr". But to proclaim, when YOU have never even graduated from school yet to BE a Pharmacist, that you WILL make X amount of $ when you finish is again smug and foolish. I was merely telling you and everyone else that numbers don't mean shit. Choose a degree/career that will be in high demand and is versatile. You can also choose to go with a specialized degree if you want, but that's also putting all your eggs in one basket. You'd better be damn sure that's the career you want (which means you HAVE to know WHAT you want to do too) if you choose that because that specialized degree is good for only ONE type of job. So if that ONE type of job doesn't pan out for you, you will be left with nothing to fall back on. Then that specialized degree will only be as good as the JOB you can find. Again, you wanna argue with that? Be my guest.

Just to clarify something: I think that a career in Pharmacy is actually a good career. It is a good choice if you have the aptitude for it. Excellent. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone choosing that career path at all.

The same goes for Doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc. I have some very close friends that are studying right now to be nurses and doctors. My sister in law as a matter of fact is also going to school to be nurse....this after already having a degree in criminal justice (hence why I said to be sure of your career path BEFORE hand because if you don't use it it's worthless).

People go on to have very fruitful careers as Doctors, Nurses, Lawyers, or Pharmacists (just for you ;) ) after obviously getting a specialized degree so it's also obvious it's definetly not a worthless degree. I also know that many many successful and if you measure success by bank acccounts also wealthy people got to where they are w/o a specialized degree you keep inferring is the ONLY way to get there. That is simply not true.

That's my point and has been since the beginning.

C22H19N3O4
08-10-2005, 04:52 PM
I can't help but laugh..lol. You keep posting these long comments to prove what? That you're long winded? Trying to stroke you own ego b/c you make more than someone younger than you? AGAIN, your limited knowledge means very little..lol. All your doing is posting about how much you make. I don't think anyone is impressed by that. For someone older, you sure don't show it. I think it's the lack of an education on your part that compels you to post advice no one is paying attention to. Let me say,,,WOW! You know Pharmacists! Say it ain't so!!! LoL....you're one of those guys who knows someone in every profession and everything that comes out of your mouth is fact. Most of the scenarios you are proposing are speculation. You don't know what will happen in a particular situation, but for some reason you claim you will know that outcome. What you've experienced in your life does NOT apply to every situation. Don't speak for other hiring managers and pretend to know what will happen.

The sole disagreement I have with you is your smug ass attitude

Really? Check your previous posts Mr. Egotistical..lol. I stated that we'll just have to agree to disagree but you keep going and going. It would be interesting if you actually held a prominent position, which would lead me to respect what you had to say, but...LoL. Well I'll just leave it at that. Goodluck.

Edit:
Just to clarify something: I think that a career in Pharmacy is actually a good career

Thanks for the approval :jerkit: :lmfao:

Jaimecbr900
08-10-2005, 08:36 PM
AGAIN, your limited knowledge means very little..lol.

Again your brilliant grasp of the English language amazes me. "Limited"????? If I'm limited, what are you?????? :jerkit: I've already told you that I could care less what you think about me. So, who's repetitive now???? :rolleyes:

All your doing is posting about how much you make. I don't think anyone is impressed by that.

Once again, you are having trouble with English and comprehension. And once again, I'm really starting to believe that College is really not going to be your cup of tea if this is indicative of your reading skills. I've never once said HOW MUCH I make, simply that I make more than you so you have no right, reason, or ability to talk down your long ass smug and pompous nose at me.

For someone older, you sure don't show it.

Actually I am showing it. If I were younger, I would've kicked your ass already. The fact that I've shown restraint shows my age for sure.

I think it's the lack of an education on your part that compels you to post advice no one is paying attention to.

Are you kidding me? Again? What I'm typing this in Russian or Sanscrit that you are having that much of a hard time comprehending????

Ok, let me put in a way even your IQ challenged ass can comprehend it:

I....unlike YOU.....have in fact ALREADY GRADUATED from college. YOU?.....Have N-O-T.....advantage? ME. I....unlike YOU....HAVE a "degree".....YOU? have N-O-N-E.....advantage? ME again.

So let's review for you and anyone else that has the IQ of spit: YOU have nothing more than a high school diploma and I have a Bachelor's degree, YET YOU smugly say that it is I that "LACKS" an education?????? :rolleyes:

The sad part is that pencil pushers like you is what America has to look forward to as our "future"...... :rolleyes: ......With that analytical and fail safe comprehension skills you are sure to go far in life......YOU need far more than ANY degree will ever get you..... :rolleyes:

LoL....you're one of those guys who knows someone in every profession and everything that comes out of your mouth is fact.

See, now you go and make such an intelligent and true statement as this that you shoot my previous hypothesis that you're a total idiot right out of the water...... :goodjob:

Most of the scenarios you are proposing are speculation. You don't know what will happen in a particular situation, but for some reason you claim you will know that outcome.

And what are YOUR scenarios??? Where is YOUR proof? Your talking like your are plagiarising from a brochure in your guidance counserlor's office. You certainly have ZERO experience in anything you are professing as true.

Don't speak for other hiring managers and pretend to know what will happen.

Because YOU are more qualified to do so???? :jerkit:

It would be interesting if you actually held a prominent position, which would lead me to respect what you had to say, but...LoL. Well I'll just leave it at that.

I don't know how much more clearer I can be in telling you that if your approval and respect were a piece of paper.....I'd wipe my ass with it and flush it down the toilet as that's how important both of those are to me from you.

My only reason for locking horns with you is that maybe some of the on lookers that are following this will follow the logic and make a smart decision rather than waste 4 yrs of their life for a piece of paper that is merely a room decoration. You are a hopeless case. I knew that last time you smarted off to me in another discussion. I challenged you then to do something and you didn't have the nads to accept the challenge. That showed me that you are one these little passive aggressive keyboard warriors. Maybe that will be something you can put on your precious resume one day. :rolleyes:

Goodluck.

Luck is for people that are ill prepared.

So I guess it should be, Goodluck to you. :rolleyes:

ruah_23
08-10-2005, 11:56 PM
You are putting words that I never uttered into my mouth. You need to go back and re-read my posts.

The sole disagreement I have with you is your smug ass attitude that ONLY specialized degrees are the ONLY degrees to have because that is obviuosly what YOU are seeking and according to you the only ones that "make money".

:lmfao: :lmfao:

As far as I can remember we (firemedic) or cops do not even touch 40 k a yr.

Btw, my ex co-worker is a doctor(PHD in pharmacist) and guess where she work?

PUBLIX.

C22H19N3O4
08-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Again your brilliant grasp of the English language amazes me. "Limited"????? If I'm limited, what are you?????? :jerkit: I've already told you that I could care less what you think about me. So, who's repetitive now???? :rolleyes:

Once again, you are having trouble with English and comprehension. And once again, I'm really starting to believe that College is really not going to be your cup of tea if this is indicative of your reading skills. I've never once said HOW MUCH I make, simply that I make more than you so you have no right, reason, or ability to talk down your long ass smug and pompous nose at me.

Actually I am showing it. If I were younger, I would've kicked your ass already. The fact that I've shown restraint shows my age for sure.

Are you kidding me? Again? What I'm typing this in Russian or Sanscrit that you are having that much of a hard time comprehending????

Ok, let me put in a way even your IQ challenged ass can comprehend it:

I....unlike YOU.....have in fact ALREADY GRADUATED from college. YOU?.....Have N-O-T.....advantage? ME. I....unlike YOU....HAVE a "degree".....YOU? have N-O-N-E.....advantage? ME again.

So let's review for you and anyone else that has the IQ of spit: YOU have nothing more than a high school diploma and I have a Bachelor's degree, YET YOU smugly say that it is I that "LACKS" an education?????? :rolleyes:

The sad part is that pencil pushers like you is what America has to look forward to as our "future"...... :rolleyes: ......With that analytical and fail safe comprehension skills you are sure to go far in life......YOU need far more than ANY degree will ever get you..... :rolleyes:

See, now you go and make such an intelligent and true statement as this that you shoot my previous hypothesis that you're a total idiot right out of the water...... :goodjob:

And what are YOUR scenarios??? Where is YOUR proof? Your talking like your are plagiarising from a brochure in your guidance counserlor's office. You certainly have ZERO experience in anything you are professing as true.

Because YOU are more qualified to do so???? :jerkit:

I don't know how much more clearer I can be in telling you that if your approval and respect were a piece of paper.....I'd wipe my ass with it and flush it down the toilet as that's how important both of those are to me from you.

My only reason for locking horns with you is that maybe some of the on lookers that are following this will follow the logic and make a smart decision rather than waste 4 yrs of their life for a piece of paper that is merely a room decoration. You are a hopeless case. I knew that last time you smarted off to me in another discussion. I challenged you then to do something and you didn't have the nads to accept the challenge. That showed me that you are one these little passive aggressive keyboard warriors. Maybe that will be something you can put on your precious resume one day. :rolleyes:

Luck is for people that are ill prepared.

So I guess it should be, Goodluck to you. :rolleyes:

LoL..but you continue on rambling about a topic you THINK you're an expert on. Does it bother you that much someone actually disagrees with you? Seems like you waste hours posting but it's the same drivel over and over again. No one's impressed b/c you work in the mortgage industry lol. For a man of your age, with such wisdom and distinction why do find it necessary to justify your worth? You continue to post about how educated and wealthy you are, but you won't disclose what your degree is in and when you graduated. You really hate the fact that people don't care about your opinions..lol. I read some of your posts and laugh at the fact that you actually attended an institution of higher learning. You don't have to justify your worth to me. You're an old man wanting your voice heard on the net. Just b/c a young man disagrees with you, you have to stomp your feet and shake your fist. I've deemed your prospective worthless when I read your "political debates." Someone doesn't agree you have to flex your non-existent muscle to prove your futile point. You have some experience in the mortgage industry...great. Give some advice related to that path. Again, don't speak for every hiring manager out there. Speak from your limited knowledge and education and everyone's happy. I think anyone who's read your long ho hum posts realize you're compensating for something you lack. Have a great day sir!

Edit: This forum was created to keep current and potential students informed. I ask everyone to refrain from flaming and snide remarks. If you have nothing of value to add to this forum, please do not post. I am included in this group. Thanks.

Jaimecbr900
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM
LoL..but you continue on rambling about a topic you THINK you're an expert on. Does it bother you that much someone actually disagrees with you? Seems like you waste hours posting but it's the same drivel over and over again. No one's impressed b/c you work in the mortgage industry lol. For a man of your age, with such wisdom and distinction why do find it necessary to justify your worth? You continue to post about how educated and wealthy you are, but you won't disclose what your degree is in and when you graduated. You really hate the fact that people don't care about your opinions..lol. I read some of your posts and laugh at the fact that you actually attended an institution of higher learning. You don't have to justify your worth to me. You're an old man wanting your voice heard on the net. Just b/c a young man disagrees with you, you have to stomp your feet and shake your fist. I've deemed your prospective worthless when I read your "political debates." Someone doesn't agree you have to flex your non-existent muscle to prove your futile point. You have some experience in the mortgage industry...great. Give some advice related to that path. Again, don't speak for every hiring manager out there. Speak from your limited knowledge and education and everyone's happy. I think anyone who's read your long ho hum posts realize you're compensating for something you lack. Have a great day sir!

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit:

You know....it's gotten boring to debate with you since it's obvious to everyone else but YOU that your ill equiped for that task.

Like I told you before and you pussied out.....you and I will meet face to face one day. When that day finally arrives, we'll definetly see what is and what isn't "non-existant" about me my friend. Until then, keep up with your keyboard warrior mentality, your precious high school diploma, and your never ending fear to answer direct questions. Those are all great attributes to have, just like the diploma YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE YET..... :lmfao: Talk about "non-existant".... :jerkit: :rolleyes:

Edit: This forum was created to keep current and potential students informed. I ask everyone to refrain from flaming and snide remarks. If you have nothing of value to add to this forum, please do not post. I am included in this group. Thanks.

When you are somebody to be telling people what to do, maybe people will listen. Until then, you know what I do with your suggestions..... :2up:

Be half a man and address my questions directly. Are you so scared that I'm right? Do you not have enough "education" or intelligence to defend your viewpoints??? Unattach your self from your mother's tit long enough to stand up on your own two feet and answer a direct question. I asked you a long time ago to let everyone in on your little secret to success plan, yet you try and tell me I am the one that hasn't told YOU when and where I graduated from????? KISS MY ASS. I asked you several times the same question and you won't answer it. Why? Who knows. Maybe mommy told you to get off the net and do your homework????

Don't demand shit from me until you man-up and answer the questions I asked you FIRST num nuts.

You want a discussion like grown folks, I'm game. You want to a flame war, I'm down. You want to handle it like men, I've been down. You want me to go away, then don't say SHIT to me. But know this: You don't get off my ass with your bullshit, I'll certainly not back down from your punk ass. Which one is it gonna be?

A.P. Photography
08-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Well in other news, College tuition goes up yet again. :(

C22H19N3O4
08-11-2005, 01:26 PM

That's where I left it. If you have something you need to say, send a PM. Don't whore up the forum with your rants. You proved just how uneducated you really are. Have a great day!

C22H19N3O4
08-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Well in other news, College tuition goes up yet again. :(

Yes sir it has...LoL :goodjob:

Jaimecbr900
08-11-2005, 08:51 PM

That's where I left it. If you have something you need to say, send a PM. Don't whore up the forum with your rants. You proved just how uneducated you really are. Have a great day!

What part of FUCK YOU and the horse you rode in on don't you understand????? :2up:

Say something to me asshat and I'm gonna reply each and every time. Told you that before and I meant it.

You wanna move on? Then STFU and move on. Don't say another word to me if you don't want a reply.

Did you understand that time or you need a phonetics book with lots of pictures for you to understand???? :rolleyes:

C22H19N3O4
08-23-2005, 01:03 PM
What part of FUCK YOU and the horse you rode in on don't you understand????? :2up:

Say something to me asshat and I'm gonna reply each and every time. Told you that before and I meant it.

You wanna move on? Then STFU and move on. Don't say another word to me if you don't want a reply.

Did you understand that time or you need a phonetics book with lots of pictures for you to understand???? :rolleyes:

LoL...another educated comment. Perhaps I missed the post about which school you attended and the degree received? You can reply all you want. It's nice to read the rants of a Rhodes Scholar. :lmfao: I needed a good laugh.

1439/2000
08-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Political Science $32,999

Yes.....sighs

Jaimecbr900
08-23-2005, 04:31 PM
LoL...another educated comment. Perhaps I missed the post about which school you attended and the degree received? You can reply all you want. It's nice to read the rants of a Rhodes Scholar. :lmfao: I needed a good laugh.

Wow, it only took you almost TWO weeks to respond.

The school I attended was the school of- "I told you already to get off my nuts and grow up you arrogant little queer still sucking on mama's tit smart ass little newb to life yet you think you know shit" University.

My degree was in- "YOU keep fucking with me and you'll get a hard lesson in life" and a minor in "I warned you nicely already to get off my ass and in a warned war noone should get hurt, but you are too mentally challenged to figure that out on your own".

BTW, it was a BA and not a BS degree. ;)

Julio
08-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Pharmacist Salaries

Settings
Avg. Base
Avg. Starting Base

Total (National Avg.)
$68,000
$59,000

Chains
$78,500
$67,000

Independents
$68,000
$49,000

Supermarkets
$76,000
$64,000

Merchandisers
$77,000
$58,000

HMOs
$73,000
$61,000

Hospitals
$75,000
$61,500

Pharmacist Salaries by Region and Setting

Setting
East
Midwest
South
West

Chains
$78,000
$89,000
$70,500
$82,000

Hospitals
$69,000
$78,000
$72,000
$76,500

Independents
$65,000
$71,000
$63,500
$69,000

I got those numbers from a really good source actually. Still had a friend in my old department at work we use to do salary surveys. She send me this email.

Jaimecbr900
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
^^^^^^Hmmmmmm, thanks Julio.

Boy, there are TONS of those $100K/year salaries listed there. Let's see, I know farm boy can probably count, but let's help him out a little (remember, he's only REALLY got a high school diploma :lmfao: ).......there are ZERO, 0, NONE, NADA, ZILCH, NI UNO $100K/yr salaries listed there. Just like......HMMMMM......WHO said????

Maybe he's got a job lined up for "when" he graduates that is going to pay him that magical 6 figure salary that's so common and easy in his precious degree. :jerkit:

Don't get me wrong farm boy there are Pharmacists that make 6 figures sure enough. I know a few. But just like I tried telling you, the figures are SKEWED butt lick. NOT EVERY Pharmacist automatically make X amount "guaranteed" like you were spouting out and talking down your big ass nose at all those with "lesser" degrees you num nuts.

Just like I told you, one day your gonna remember you had this discussion with ME newb. I guess now you'll wanna argue with Julio that HE and HIS experience and the experience of someone who does this stuff for a living is also wayyyyy off too, huh????? :jerkit:

:smileowne

Big Baller
08-23-2005, 05:01 PM
I love my job.

Matt

Julio
08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Pharmacist is a great career, do I believe they can make 100 K/1st year. NO....

C22H19N3O4
08-23-2005, 06:15 PM
I will disagree with those numbers. I've shadowed and worked for Pharms in a retail and clinical setting for years. Even for a clinical setting, those numbers are low. I guess the 1st year Pharms making $100k+, that I personally know, are just lucky I guess. :jerkit: Just like any salary survey, those numbers are median stats. The average salary for a Pharm in the Atlanta area is $94+k (http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?origin=secheader&statecode=&state=&metro=&city=&geo=U.S.+National+Averages&jobcode=HC07000011&jobtitle=Pharmacist&search=&narrowdesc=Healthcare+--+Practitioners&narrowcode=HC03&r=salswz_swzttsbtn_psr&p=050205_psr_495&s=salary&geocode=&pagenumber=&zipcode=&metrocode=8&x=48&y=14), not including benefits and overtime. But some how, you'll manage to tell me that Julio's numbers are more accurate than mine (Salary.com). Your original point, if you had a legit one, still has not been proven. So Julio posted some AVERAGE incomes? Does that disapprove 1st year Pharms don't/can't make 6 figures? I don't think so.

The school I attended was the school of- "I told you already to get off my nuts and grow up you arrogant little queer still sucking on mama's tit smart ass little newb to life yet you think you know shit" University.
My degree was in- "YOU keep fucking with me and you'll get a hard lesson in life" and a minor in "I warned you nicely already to get off my ass and in a warned war noone should get hurt, but you are too mentally challenged to figure that out on your own".

LoL....how old are you? You're no better than the e-thugs posting in the WL. You still can't divulge where you went to school and the degree received? :lmfao: I guess you could, had you actually attended college, but who needs it right? Keep ranting old man. :rolleyes:

Julio
08-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Don't know. Pablo's Mother was a pharmacist, actually she retired in this field and he told me they don't start of making this amount of money, Later on down the rd, yes.
One of the big wigs at my job his wife is a pharmacist and he also told me she never started at 100K, actually shes no there yet. reason I was so curious is because Paul's wife is in school for this field and he says this all the time. But I yet to meet someone who has tell me and are in this field they started at 100K oh.. I forgot to mentioned one more thing...

About 2 month ago, I was having issues with my eyes and went to the CVS behind my job and actually was talking to the pharmacist there.. and asked him How much do you start of making as a pharmacist? .. He answer, depending who you work for as far as company but rookies start off around the 60 K mark, depending company they choose. MAYBE even less.
But he did say after awhile you make really good money. Hes been a pharmacist for 15 years. The more experience the more you will make... and hopefully land with a good company.

But still, 60 K starting off is still a not a bad start.

technoteg97
08-23-2005, 06:31 PM
I know several people that are doing pharmacy

technoteg97
08-23-2005, 06:33 PM
hahaha pharm teg acts like he knows everything doesnt he.

C22H19N3O4
08-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Julio, an average Pharm at CVS starts at around $42 an hour..LoL. There have been issues with Pharms who have been in a position for so long and then replaced by a recent Grad. So it's advantageous for older Pharms to be open about their pay. Perhaps when they went to Pharm School there wasn't an urgent need for Pharms? I have NEVER heard of a Pharm starting at $60k..LoL. I'm sure Paul's wife can vouch for that. Even high need rural areas start above $60k.

Julio
08-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Julio, an average Pharm at CVS starts at around $42 an hour..LoL. There have been issues with Pharms who have been in a position for so long and then replaced by a recent Grad. So it's advantageous for older Pharms to be open about their pay. Perhaps when they went to Pharm School there wasn't an urgent need for Pharms? I have NEVER heard of a Pharm starting at $60k..LoL. I'm sure Paul's wife can vouch for that. Even high need rural areas start above $60k.

Still good money. Thats about 88k a year based on 40 hour work week with no OT. You think thats bad?

Until I see a weekly paycheck of $1923.00 Before tax For a brand new pharmacist on his 1st week. I will not belive it.

But anyways, Don't really know why we are talking about this.. is still good money though. =]

4dmin
08-23-2005, 07:20 PM
just for the record pharmacist make alot more than 60k... now there is a big diffrance between a RPH and a Dr.... both UGA/MERCER are Dr. only... retail starting from what kate has been told by the recuiting people:

Kroger = 96k
CVS = 98k

now it totaly depends on company and the job... you have research, retail, hospital, and gov. all pay different. one of kates friends was offered 115k to start for Bilo in Chattanooga. :goodjob:

SALARY.COM >>> A typical Pharmacist (http://secure.salary.com/jobvaluationreport/docs/jobvaluationreport/jobsellhtmls/Pharmacist-salary-job-description.html#jobdescription) working in the United States earns a median base salary of $93,834, according to our analysis of data reported by corporate HR departments. Half of the people in this job earn between $88,951 and $98,301.

if you work for the gov you start out at 46k (after taxes) and it goes up to like 98k (after taxes) ;) that is some serious cheese, plus you get free healthcare, and you can prescribe in some positions

and if you want more proof i'll take you to two of kates bosses houses... they both live in 350-450k homes and both of their husbands don't work ;)

Julio
08-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Like I said, Until I personally see a 1st week paycheck of a 1st timer for $1923.00 I will not believe it after speaking with people who been doing this.. Unless they were lying to me. This topic was reffering to Fresh out of school people, correct ?

We are talking noobs here.

Julio
08-23-2005, 07:55 PM
and if you want more proof i'll take you to two of kates bosses houses... they both live in 350-450k homes and both of their husbands don't work ;)

How long they been pharmacist?
A woman will not support me.. Sorry. No matter how much she makes.. I can never be a stay at home Guy.. Unless I'm rich.

Damn metrosexuals. :lmfao:

Jaimecbr900
08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
I will disagree with those numbers.

Now there is a BIG surprise. :jerkit: Is it because you didn't come up with them or because YOU don't agree or maybe because it proves you're a tool? :rolleyes:

I've shadowed and worked for Pharms in a retail and clinical setting for years. Even for a clinical setting, those numbers are low. I guess the 1st year Pharms making $100k+, that I personally know, are just lucky I guess. :jerkit: Just like any salary survey, those numbers are median stats.

I guess you're now Dougie Houser, M.D. too, eh? What are you, 20-21? How then could you be "working" with Pharms anywhere for YEARS???? :jerkit: Oh wait, I forgot.....you not only are you going to the ONLY school worth a shit studying the ONLY course of study that's worth a shit, but you also went to the prestigious all jerks private school for queers that allows TEENAGE snot nosed know it alls like yourself INTERN and WORK with all kinds of Pharmacies..... :rolleyes: .....Got it. :goodjob:

The average salary for a Pharm in the Atlanta area is $94+k (http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?origin=secheader&statecode=&state=&metro=&city=&geo=U.S.+National+Averages&jobcode=HC07000011&jobtitle=Pharmacist&search=&narrowdesc=Healthcare+--+Practitioners&narrowcode=HC03&r=salswz_swzttsbtn_psr&p=050205_psr_495&s=salary&geocode=&pagenumber=&zipcode=&metrocode=8&x=48&y=14), not including benefits and overtime.

Hmmm, got it. Now in YOUR world they not only pay 6 figure salaries to brand new, no experience having, 20 something know-it-alls, but they also pay SALARIED personnel OVERTIME too......wow, talk about a hell of a package there boss man. Look up the definition for "salaried" and "hourly" genius. You are either one or the other but rarely both. Overtime implies you worked OVER the amount of HOURS alloted for a certain time period, i.e. majority of the time it's referring to HOURLY employees and NOT salaried. How many Pharmacists in your super vast experience in this world :rolleyes: do you know that get paid by the hour?????

Besides, using your very generous math we could suddenly say that good ole JR working at the Mcdonald's down the street doesn't make the $7/hr he actually makes, but in reality he makes $7/hr + $10.50 OT + 3% FICA the employer puts in + 2% unemployment the employer pays + $30/mo for insurance coverage = Good grief now that $7/hr job is suddenly $15/hr.....woo hoo, let's all go work for Mcdonalds then.... :jerkit:

But some how, you'll manage to tell me that Julio's numbers are more accurate than mine (Salary.com).

We all know that the internet is far more accurate than actual research done by an individual who does that for a living....... :jerkit: . Gotcha. :goodjob:

Your original point, if you had a legit one, still has not been proven. So Julio posted some AVERAGE incomes? Does that disapprove 1st year Pharms don't/can't make 6 figures? I don't think so.

Right, cause your precious 1 website says its so, huh? :goodjob: My point was simple. Everyone else understood it, but you chose to be stupid. I'll repeat it for you:

The NUMBERS in those things are skewed. Why? Because nimrods like you ASSume that it's gospel and EXPECT to get the highest one of those numbers AUTOMATICALLY eventhough the numbers vary widely depending on the source of the report because there is NO way to question it's validity. Someone could simply sit back and put anything they want in a resume SELLING site or someone could do REAL research for those numbers. How can idiots like you tell the difference? As it's been crystally proven in this thread, morons like you can't. THAT is my point since the beginning and even using just the numbers posted in this very thread it PROVES my point dramatically. Julio posted numbers that show a wide spread and you posted completely different numbers allegedly for the same thing. So, you're right.....I didn't PROVE my point at all asshat. :rolleyes: :jerkit:

LoL....how old are you? You're no better than the e-thugs posting in the WL. You still can't divulge where you went to school and the degree received? :lmfao: I guess you could, had you actually attended college, but who needs it right? Keep ranting old man. :rolleyes:

What does my age have to do with the fact that you got OWNED hard but you're just too arrogant and stupid to admit it????

I told you before that you weren't equiped to handle this type of discussion. You got OWNED hard while I proved that.

Instead of arguing with me you should spend more time on figuring out how to try and graduate so you can finally move out of mommy and daddy's house like big boys do. :2up:

Jaimecbr900
08-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Don't know. Pablo's Mother was a pharmacist, actually she retired in this field and he told me they don't start of making this amount of money, Later on down the rd, yes.
One of the big wigs at my job his wife is a pharmacist and he also told me she never started at 100K, actually shes no there yet.

But still, 60 K starting off is still a not a bad start.

That's exactly what I've been trying to say until dingleberry took it personal.

Jaimecbr900
08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Like I said, Until I personally see a 1st week paycheck of a 1st timer for $1923.00 I will not believe it after speaking with people who been doing this.. Unless they were lying to me. This topic was reffering to Fresh out of school people, correct ?

We are talking noobs here.

Exactly.

Julio
08-23-2005, 08:21 PM
How much is Pharmacy school anyways? I figure is not cheap?

Jaimecbr900
08-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Even if you look at salary.com not ALL the jobs posted on there REQUIRE experience. What are you gonna do until you get that 1-3 yr experience?

BTW, salary.com also says that Real Estate Agents make $36K/yr in Atlanta too...... :jerkit: ....we all know SOME make that and MOST make 3x that. Again, the "accuracy" of these numbers is questionable at best.

4dmin
08-23-2005, 09:32 PM
sorry but if you only made 60k out of school then you would never get the money to pay for college from the goverment... kates school cost 22k a year, you do the math x4, plus she already has 4 years at UGA... no one goes to school for a DR. to make 60k unless you plain on being a professor.

since you think pharmacist only make 60k, how much do you think dentist or md's make?

by the way you can be paid salary and hourly at the same time... salary for 40 hours and anything over you get hourly, pharmacist are paid that way :goodjob: i remember kate telling me that one of her pharmacist was paid 1200$ to work easter b/c they couldn't get anyone to do it, ya that 150$ an hour ;)

C22H19N3O4
08-23-2005, 09:48 PM
just for the record pharmacist make alot more than 60k... now there is a big diffrance between a RPH and a Dr.... both UGA/MERCER are Dr. only... retail starting from what kate has been told by the recuiting people:

Kroger = 96k
CVS = 98k

now it totaly depends on company and the job... you have research, retail, hospital, and gov. all pay different. one of kates friends was offered 115k to start for Bilo in Chattanooga. :goodjob:

[/size]

if you work for the gov you start out at 46k (after taxes) and it goes up to like 98k (after taxes) ;) that is some serious cheese, plus you get free healthcare, and you can prescribe in some positions

I didn't get into the Rph. and Pharm.D issue b/c I assumed that Jaime was educated enough to know the difference. Most old school Pharms just have a BS in Pharmacy, got their state cert. hence the Rph. Very few schools offer the BS in Pharm anymore. Pharm.D is now the standard, which in turn means more school. Actually, a Grad can use the Pharm.D and Rph tag.
Julio, Pharm School is expensive like anyother professional program, but Mercer is really outrageous. They do have a great program though. Also, I am talking about 1st year grads. I didn't even calculate the signing bonus.
Who said I was 20 or 21? LoL....25 and 3rd year and paid my own way through school. I am proud of the fact that I will be making great money before I hit 30. I will have earned every penny. BTW Jaime, I'm still waiting for the school and degree..LoL..but I doubt we'll ever know the truth. If I have a mortgage question I'll let you know. :lmfao: Sorry I didn't read through your long post again, my mind wanders when your "grumpy old men" routine surfaces.

thinkfast®
08-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Jaime you need to relax bro. pickin on the poor kid like that! :lmao:

Honestly I came in this thread I would be seeing some useful information, so far its been 2.75 pages of bullshit. you should have taken this to PM a loooong time ago...

Anyways, good numbers, didnt really give me any shit I didnt know. thanks guys :goodjob:

Crowml
08-24-2005, 08:38 AM
I agree with thinkfast, Jaime, hats off to you generally, but in this case let it slide. I'm with you, I'm a grad too, but bare with me ... Think back to college, it was impossible then to talk to Freshman about the stress of being a senior, and you're gonna try to talk to a wet behind the ears student about life after college? The whole miracle of college is the fact that you're so full of yourself sorrounded by those in your age group that you forget that there is life beyond the extent of your nose. Most college students don't think of life outside campus, little ol' less several years down the road. 85% of the people in my field (veterinary medicine) change and drop their degrees yet are considered the most hard headed stubborn students (some will flunk out trying to succeed). I "knew" i would break that statistic and make a difference in my career, but at the end I dropped my degree like everyone else. I do what I love now and am successful by my standard now, but I'll admit to having this kids attitude back then.

Pharm teg if you're happy with your career decision and thorough about you education, more power to you. Don't get discouraged and stick through with you choices. If all else fails, have a back up. I found a way to merge my back up into my failed plans and am very happy in my career.

Jaimecbr900
08-24-2005, 10:43 AM
I've been trying to let it die, but smarty pants keeps responding after I told him to get off my nuts.

I have never once said Pharmacists don't make any money. I simply started off by saying that people don't need to put so much emphasis on the "numbers" that are published all over God's creation because they vary so much from publisher to publisher. In this very thread, we've proven just that very point. Julio has found some numbers, smarty pants found another, even Paul has some more numbers Kate has. My point exactly. You talk to 3 different people, you get 3 diff numbers. So what's the freaking point of puffing your chest about it then???? THAT is my only point. NOT that Pharmacists don't make money or do. It's been my experience from having family and friends that are actually WORKING in that field that $100k+ right out of the gate is a little far fetched. Is it possible? Sure. But to hear MR. Know-it-all tell it, EVERYBODY is "guaranteed" to make $100K+ in their first position of their first job right after graduation. Doesn't that sound foolish to anyone else????

Crowml
08-24-2005, 02:56 PM
it does sound foolish, but thats exactly my point. C'mon man, you remember the novel inoccence of college. It's almost worse than the quintisential 1st grader talking about becoming the first millionaire fighter pilot :-) (i personally had one up on that kid, I was going to be the first millionaire astronat with a fighter jet as a personal toy.)
Let this guy fathom his million. He'll either die trying or shove it in our face when he gets there. Either way we don't have to worry about it for another 4.5 years. :P

RiceBoy
09-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Damn, didn't know pharmacist makes that much....Shouldn't have drop out of pharmacy school...:(

HiPSI
09-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Damn, didn't know pharmacist makes that much....Shouldn't have drop out of pharmacy school...:(

last i checked dentists don't do too bad either ;)

4dmin
09-20-2005, 08:57 PM
last i checked dentists don't do too bad either ;)

lol ya no shit :D

C22H19N3O4
09-20-2005, 10:28 PM

Hmm...Very few students drop out of Pharm School compared to many of the other professional programs. So you went through the trouble of applying to Pharm School, which takes almost a year b/c of interviews and wait listing, and then dropped out? LoL. Furthermore, you didn't know the average salary of a rookie Pharmacist? You were about to endure a total of 4 years of Pharm school, plus 1500 hours of clerkship, without knowing what Pharms make? Nice to know you were so prepared. :lmfao:

SLiP-N-SLiDe
09-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Money = Power
Power = Money
wasn't that used in a rap song a while back? anyways, what you make he can take and when you need and believe, he will give

GOD owns ALL!

Jaimecbr900
09-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Hmm...Very few students drop out of Pharm School compared to many of the other professional programs. So you went through the trouble of applying to Pharm School, which takes almost a year b/c of interviews and wait listing, and then dropped out? LoL. Furthermore, you didn't know the average salary of a rookie Pharmacist? You were about to endure a total of 4 years of Pharm school, plus 1500 hours of clerkship, without knowing what Pharms make? Nice to know you were so prepared. :lmfao:

He's a dentist you nimrod.

I guess now you're gonna start waving your magic paycheck and say the pharmacists make more than dentists do too so he must be dumb for being a DENTIST...... :rolleyes: :jerkit:

My goodness. Don't your arms get tired of always patting yourself on the back?

BTW, I'm doing a loan for a buddy of mine whose wife IS a pharmacist and has been for a few years. She's worked for Pfizer and now works for CVS and she STILL doesn't make $100k. She's in the ballpark, but she's also been at it for a few YEARS too. I've seen the paychecks and I've seen the W2's. I've got every piece of personal and financial information they have from 401K to Stocks to plain ole bank accounts. She also has a PHD, BTW, so it's not as if she's lacking some kind of higher degree. She makes great money though. Just not the "guaranteed" $100k you think everybody gets right out of the gate.

C22H19N3O4
09-21-2005, 09:23 AM
He's a dentist you nimrod.

I guess now you're gonna start waving your magic paycheck and say the pharmacists make more than dentists do too so he must be dumb for being a DENTIST...... :rolleyes: :jerkit:

My goodness. Don't your arms get tired of always patting yourself on the back?

BTW, I'm doing a loan for a buddy of mine whose wife IS a pharmacist and has been for a few years. She's worked for Pfizer and now works for CVS and she STILL doesn't make $100k. She's in the ballpark, but she's also been at it for a few YEARS too. I've seen the paychecks and I've seen the W2's. I've got every piece of personal and financial information they have from 401K to Stocks to plain ole bank accounts. She also has a PHD, BTW, so it's not as if she's lacking some kind of higher degree. She makes great money though. Just not the "guaranteed" $100k you think everybody gets right out of the gate.

I wasn't trying to insult the guy. I was pointing out that it is a stupid move to pull out of a professional program after devoting that much time and effort. Something you apparently you know little about with your pseudo degree. BTW, have that lady give me call, b/c apparently she's made some bad career moves. Having a dual degree, Pharm D and PhD, should easily put her in 6 figures. I don't know what she did for Pfizer, but there are plenty of avenues to take within research. You keep commenting about a field you know little about b/c you've seen some financial info on your customer. Not a great way to guage what the rest of the Pharm field is bringing home. If she made the right career moves she should be in the 6 figure range, unless she made some other choices while in the field that may detract her from earning more like getting married and raising a family. Also, she was probably better off going with a MBA to perhaps manage a large chain of pharms etc. What was she bringing in salary wise? I wonder if she was moonlighting anywhere to bump the salary?

C22H19N3O4
09-21-2005, 09:40 AM

How much for a teeth whitening session? :D What are the starting salary figures for noob dentists? Well, as far as you have experienced. How long have you been in practice? DDS or DMD?

Jaimecbr900
09-21-2005, 11:10 AM
I wasn't trying to insult the guy. I was pointing out that it is a stupid move to pull out of a professional program after devoting that much time and effort.

In his case it doesn't seem like such a "stupid move" if he went on to bigger and better things, now does it?

BTW, have that lady give me call, b/c apparently she's made some bad career moves. Having a dual degree, Pharm D and PhD, should easily put her in 6 figures. I don't know what she did for Pfizer, but there are plenty of avenues to take within research.

Yeah, right. I'm going to tell somebody that is ALREADY a Pharmacists, working AS a Pharmacist, with a PHD, that YOU....a student TRYING to be a Pharmacist is going to "enlighten" her as to how YOU are smarter than HER about a career path she already HAS and you HAVEN'T.... :jerkit: :rolleyes: .....

Dilusions of granduoso again????? :rolleyes:

You keep commenting about a field you know little about b/c you've seen some financial info on your customer. Not a great way to guage what the rest of the Pharm field is bringing home.

No asswipe, you need to refer to my post just above where I CLEARLY explained why I disagreed with you. You don't want to buy into it, great. I don't give a rat's ass if you do or don't. I honestly don't.

But you can keep spouting out crap you know nothing about first hand, and argue with logic, and argue with numbers, and argue with others that say the exact same thing I do, and argue with people who ARE already in the business YOU wish to be in, and argue until you are smart and I'm young.....but it won't change the fact that what I said since the beginning is true:
1. There are NO "guarantees" on money for someone starting out. Only a range of possibilities.
2. Ask 10 people about any given profession and you will get 10 different answers as to what they make. Therefore, very little emphasis should be placed on the "numbers" alone. A career/education path should be chosen using a variety of reasons because money alone will get you nothing but dissapointment.
3. There is no way to prove the accuracy of numbers because the source is skewed. See #2 above or even this very thread to see how varied the "numbers" are and how varied the sources and how varied the proof. So therefore, ANYBODY can put out any number they'd like and technically be right because there is no way to prove them wrong. As long as they find 1 person making $100k, they could technically publish that $100k is the salary of that profession. When in reality, they should have a caveat that says it's a POSSIBILITY and not necessarily a "given".

If she made the right career moves she should be in the 6 figure range, unless she made some other choices while in the field that may detract her from earning more like getting married and raising a family. Also, she was probably better off going with a MBA to perhaps manage a large chain of pharms etc. What was she bringing in salary wise? I wonder if she was moonlighting anywhere to bump the salary?

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

I asked her the question directly: "Did you make $100k when you started?" Her answer was a clear and resounding "NO".

She's got a PHD and you have squat. She's a Pharmacist and you're not. She's been working in her field for a few years already and you haven't barely begun. I have her paycheck stub sitting in front of me, and she makes great money just not the "guaranteed" $100K you profess.

So now suddenly SHE's the exception to your rule, SHE made some kind of mistake, yada yada yada :jerkit: .

C22H19N3O4
09-21-2005, 11:42 AM
LoL. I'll state this again. You base your opinion on a few Pharmacists you know and you think you have some idea what the average Pharms makes. I've been in this field since I graduated high school and know plenty of Pharms in different fields. Based on your limited knowledge you're in no position to presume you know what all Pharms will/do make. Just say the Pharms YOU know make X dollars. I know several younger than you making 100k, but of course you don't believe that b/c that goes against your vast knowledge of the field. Oh but wait, I forgot you have ONE paystub...LoL. Still can't mention what your degree was in? I'll even accept an AD from a community college. I thoroughly regret not getting into the mortgage industry..LoL. Stick with what you know, which is.......?

Jaimecbr900
09-21-2005, 12:43 PM
LoL. I'll state this again. You base your opinion on a few Pharmacists you know and you think you have some idea what the average Pharms makes. I've been in this field since I graduated high school and know plenty of Pharms in different fields. Based on your limited knowledge you're in no position to presume you know what all Pharms will/do make. Just say the Pharms YOU know make X dollars. I know several younger than you making 100k, but of course you don't believe that b/c that goes against your vast knowledge of the field. Oh but wait, I forgot you have ONE paystub...LoL. Still can't mention what your degree was in? I'll even accept an AD from a community college. I thoroughly regret not getting into the mortgage industry..LoL. Stick with what you know, which is.......?

First: You're REALLY gonna regret the day I meet you face-to-face. Promise.

Second: Wasn't it you that was making fun of me because I mentioned that my knowledge came from having family members, friends, and customers that ARE in the field you WISH you were in??? Now suddenly because YOU "know" some people in the field and suddenly YOU are "expert" on the subject???? :jerkit: Got it hemorrhoid, got it. :rolleyes:

Third: ONE paystub dingleberry? ONE? :blah: :blah: That's exactly ONE more than YOU have proving YOUR point, aint it jackass? :lmfao:

Fourth: My degree? What's that got to do with the price of tea in China? It's one of those worthless Business degrees you so love. What's that got to do with jack? The school I got it at? Would it matter if it were Harvard or Yale? Would that change your opinion and suddenly make you realize that are a dickhead and are wrong? That's why I haven't answered your questions, because in the end regardless of what answer I give you will STILL be little faggot wannabe who thinks they know it all. So why bother?

Finally: YOU are a nobody right now. A no-degree-having-faggot-ass-who- thinks-he-knows-it-all-NOW-because-his-counselor-told-him-so. YOU are NOT a Pharmacist YET. YOU don't have a degree in SHIT yet. YOU don't make any money YET. YOU don't know jack about the real world YET.

Stay in your cute little car, in your cute little school, trying to impress somebody with your bullshit. UNTIL YOU have graduated and have a JOB, you are a nobody. YOU are no different right now than any plain ole college student working at Wendy's while they graduate. YOU are a nobody. YOU don't OWN shit. YOU don't have anything to hang your hat on except you WANNABE a Pharmacist. Great. Good for you. UNTIL you ARE a Pharmacist, YOU are nothing more than a wannabe hoping to be one.

Argue with that now bitch. :rolleyes:

4dmin
09-21-2005, 02:58 PM
I don't get why there is so much BS in this thread... phramacist w/ a Pharm D not an RPH do start out 96+k a year right now... w/ sign on bonus you can make even more. If the lady has a Pharm D & a PHD then she obviously isn't in it for the money making uder 100k when you can certanly make that. Your using bad example for a field you don't know much about.

why would someone waste 8 years of school for a DR. title & job that won't make you close or over 100k a year... beyond that why would the gov't just hand you loans for 20k+ a year for school if they knew you couldn't pay them back easily. Com'on... do you honestly think kate would waste 4 years of school more when she could of just as easily been a doctor/denist. Its the same schooling... undergrad is practically 100% the same. I know b/c kates roommate from UGA goes to Moore House Medical, they took almost every single class together.

Furthermore as stated previously by Julio he talked to a pharmacist as well... Pablo's mom for that matter who isn't even a pharmacist anymore she owns a mortgage company... so i know she isn't a Pharm D. Also Kates best friend Kristi is finishing up in her rotations as we speak... she was offered 115k a year to start w/ Bilo in Chattanooga. If you want i can give you the address of kates boss and you can go check out their home which is over 400k & her husband doesn't work (i'm sure she makes 70k a year :rolleyes: )

Pharmacist is a very different field than most b/c there are many different fields pharmacist can work in: Retail, Hospital, Gov, teacher, & Research... all pay completely different.

Hey Jamie, how much is 46k bring home a year??? 100k bring home???

4dmin
09-21-2005, 03:18 PM
"Northern Mississippi- Clinical Pharmacist to 90k! New grads OK!"

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=QA&job_did=J8G4FS6ZJ8T42M2WJK0&dv=dv&jrdid=&lpage=114&strcrit=QID%3dA3848779934854%3bst%3dA%3buse%3dALL% 3brawWords%3dpharmacist%3bCTY%3d%2c%2c%3bSID%3dALL %2cALL%2cALL%3bENR%3dNO%3bDTP%3dDR3%3bYDI%3dYES%3b IND%3dALL%3bPDQ%3dAll%3bJN%3dAll%3bPAYL%3d0%3bPAYH %3dGT120%3bPOY%3dNO%3bETD%3dJTCT%3bETD%3dJTIN%3bET D%3dJTPT%3bETD%3dJTFT%3bRE%3dALL%3bMGT%3dDC%3bSUP% 3dDC%3bFRE%3d30%3bCHL%3dAL%3bQS%3dADVSEARCHFRM%3bS S%3dNO%3bTITL%3d0%3bVT%3ddetail%3bRAD%3d30%3bJQT%3 dRAD&sfascc=pharmacist&CiBookMark=1&jobcount=2826&sname=&lr=cbc_empspot

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 90k+... by the way i just got off the phone w/ kate she just got done talking to a CVS recruiter who told her they expect to be paying pharmacist 65$ (135k) an hour by the time she graduates ;)

Jaimecbr900
09-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I don't get why there is so much BS in this thread... phramacist w/ a Pharm D not an RPH do start out 96+k a year right now... w/ sign on bonus you can make even more. If the lady has a Pharm D & a PHD then she obviously isn't in it for the money making uder 100k when you can certanly make that. Your using bad example for a field you don't know much about.

You are doing the same thing he is doing. Just because he is studying it and Kate is studying it doesn't make either of you an "expert" over people that are ACTUALLY IN THE FIELD ALREADY. I don't get that. I do loans for a living. YOU know that. I did yours, remember. I see people's PAY stubs on a daily basis. I've done a bunch of loans for Pharmacists. Furthermore, my AUNT has been a Pharmacist for over 20 yrs. In MY first hand experience of looking AT people's PAY stubs and having a family member who IS a Pharmacist, I have yet to have found a ROOKIE Pharmacist that makes the kind of money both you guys are talking about. Is it possible to make that money out of the gate??? SURE IT IS. The better question as has been posed here IS: Does EVERY rookie make $100K? My whole thing has always been that from the clients, family members, and people I've asked that question directly that ARE Pharmacists ALREADY......the answer has so far always been "NO".

Why do yall want to argue with that? It would seem that first hand accounts from someone that already IS a Pharmacist would hold far more weight in this discussion than some link to a website that specializes on selling resumes.

why would someone waste 8 years of school for a DR. title & job that won't make you close or over 100k a year... beyond that why would the gov't just hand you loans for 20k+ a year for school if they knew you couldn't pay them back easily. Com'on... do you honestly think kate would waste 4 years of school more when she could of just as easily been a doctor/denist. Its the same schooling... undergrad is practically 100% the same. I know b/c kates roommate from UGA goes to Moore House Medical, they took almost every single class together.

Because you'll make that and much more LATER on down the road. Is it in 2 yrs or 10 yrs? Who knows. I do know that Pharmacists make some very good money. Far more as their seniority grows. Just don't say that all Pharmacists make $100k "guaranteed" and we'll agree.

If you want i can give you the address of kates boss and you can go check out their home which is over 400k & her husband doesn't work (i'm sure she makes 70k a year :rolleyes: )

How long has she been in the business?

Pharmacist is a very different field than most b/c there are many different fields pharmacist can work in: Retail, Hospital, Gov, teacher, & Research... all pay completely different.

TADA!!!!!!!!!!

There it is. Exactly what I've been saying and both of you have been arguing with me about.

I said in the very beginning that emphasis on "numbers" is silly simply because of the exact same reason you just listed. Ever since then, num nuts has been riding my balls that I was wrong wrong wrong because HE "KNOWS" that they all make atleast $100k. I said since the very beginning that if you ask 3 different people, you'll get 3 different answer. It's common sense. A website saying that the "MEDIAN" starting salary for that area is X, is really useless because there is no way for anyone to refute that. As has been shown in this very thread, everybody's research has netted totally different numbers. So what makes one right and the other wrong? Then why place so much emphasis on "numbers" and beating all on your chest about that, when the numbers you're using to beat your chest with are skewed?

Follow that?

Hey Jamie, how much is 46k bring home a year??? 100k bring home???

Umm, what? That a trick question?

Jaimecbr900
09-21-2005, 03:39 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 90k+... by the way i just got off the phone w/ kate she just got done talking to a CVS recruiter who told her they expect to be paying pharmacist 65$ (135k) an hour by the time she graduates ;)

That's fine, but remember I have a paystub right in front of me for a person that WORKS for CVS with a freaking Phd that her base is considerably less than that.

So, again.....ask two people, get two different answers. Again, goes to prove exactly what I was saying since the beginning. "Numbers" are useless. Range is good, "numbers" are useless.

BTW, even in your link you will notice that only ONE of those positions specifies that "recent grads are OK" and that position only pays $90K. The higher paying ones, don't have the same comment. That link was for an ad for a place in HIGH need of Pharmacists, right? Then why wouldn't they have put that comment on ALL the positions if they are needing people that badly? Could be that only LOWER paying position is the one that allows for someone w/o experience to apply. Don't know.

Regardless, my point has never been that Pharmacists DON'T make good money. My point has been that the "numbers" being thrown around like gospel are not in line with real live people's stories nor are they important because of that very same thing.

4dmin
09-21-2005, 03:45 PM
^ not every pharmacist makes around 100k starting out... i've stated before it goes on your degree and background. Kate has already been offered a starting position under her pharmacist now as her other pharmacist... Kroger is paying 96k a year starting out for Pharm D, CVS 98k, those numbers came from the recruiters kate has already talked to. Now that is just retail... but as you can see above i posted a link for a clinical position starting at 90k... so ya w/ a sign on bonus right now you can make 100k,,, they fields has been going up about 5k a year in salary, and is projected to be over 100k when she graduates, as i stated before....

its like this... you get a PHD in Science to teach middle school??? Com'on of course there are people who do that and don't make shit, but there are also those who make 100k a year as scientist working for some random company. ;)

I have a paystub right in front of me for a person that WORKS for CVS with a freaking Phd that her base is considerably less than that.
there is a difference between a PHD and a Pharm D and a RPH
so even w/ her being w/ a retail company it all goes on background...

shit kate make 17+$ an hour now as a intern... that is 35k a year just being in college... do you honestly think if they pay their techs starting at 35k that they pay their pharmacist double that :jerkit: there is not school neccessary to be a tech, but to make double that you think people would take on 100k in debt in school loans to make 70k bahhhhh your kidding me right.

Jaimecbr900
09-21-2005, 04:19 PM
^ not every pharmacist makes around 100k starting out... i've stated before it goes on your degree and background.

Your boy seems to disagree with you there boss man. I agree with you, but according to him I don't know anything. Guess that means you don't know anything either, huh?

I agree with you. We wouldn't even be having this drawn out discussion for the last month had asswipe simply said "Pharmacists make between $80K and $150K on a regular basis". But instead, he's been beating on his chest that HE is going to make 6 figures GUARANTEED.....the "guaranteed" part is been the only issue with me here. I proved it by showing how many different numbers, other than $100k, are out there.

Kate has already been offered a starting position under her pharmacist now as her other pharmacist... Kroger is paying 96k a year starting out for Pharm D, CVS 98k, those numbers came from the recruiters kate has already talked to. Now that is just retail... but as you can see above i posted a link for a clinical position starting at 90k... so ya w/ a sign on bonus right now you can make 100k,,, they fields has been going up about 5k a year in salary, and is projected to be over 100k when she graduates, as i stated before....

Kate's so damn fine, I'd offer her anything she wanted too....... ;) :D

its like this... you get a PHD in Science to teach middle school??? Com'on of course there are people who do that and don't make shit, but there are also those who make 100k a year as scientist working for some random company. ;)

Exactly why the "numbers" game is stupid and skewed. You have hard luck stories mixed in with proper ones. My point yet again why there is NO guarantee about money. Do you think that the guy teaching in Middle School because he found no other work cares a rat's ass what a website says he SHOULD be making? He'd tell you right up front, NO guarantees on anything. Doesn't change the fact that he could LATER ON go and put that PHD to work for him more efficiently.

, but to make double that you think people would take on 100k in debt in school loans to make 70k bahhhhh your kidding me right.

People take on Student loans for far less paying jobs than $70K/yr, absolutely. They do it everyday. As a matter of fact, I had a phone call just this morning from somewhere looking for an employee I no longer have working here. Seems he has some expensive Student loans due and they are looking for him to garnish his wages. His degree, from what little I've been able to gather, was an engineering degree. Last I heard, he was working back in the engineering field, but made very little money. Obviously not enough to pay his loans or they wouldn't be looking for him.

Point is that the gov't will give student loans to just about anyone. I've seen people with horrid credit, yet have just gotten a student loan to "go back to school". The fact that they give it to you, doesn't mean that you'll be making enough money to pay it back in a year. I do loans for grown ass folks that have been working for eons that are STILL paying on their student loans today. Remember, some of those loans the minimum payments are stupid low too.

4dmin
09-21-2005, 04:38 PM
^ it is definatley a very funny field... kate has 4 years at UGA w/ no degree and now 2 years into mercer she is working on her Pharm D (no bachelor or masters in this field)... beyond that salary is totally negotiable... as when kate finishes she will already have 5+ years exp in retail and 3+ in hospital; so her resume will look nice.

all i know i need to decide on what color i want my elise to be :lmao: ;)

RiceBoy
09-21-2005, 10:32 PM

I dropped out bc the degree would become useless for me...:) Why waste another year of student loan for something that would collect dusts inside my file cabinet? I was very well prepared, thats why I used it as a stepping stone.

As for the salary...I dont believe half of what they posted..Salaries are based on demand and supplies. 2-4 yrs down the road, there could be twice as much recent graduates applying for the same position that is available as of today. However, I am sure the Board of Pharmacy and School of Pharmacy are intelligent enough to NOT flood the market with pharmacists.

Oh by the way, Organic Chemistry kicked my ass so did Pharmacology. :D

Jaimecbr900
09-22-2005, 09:50 AM
^^^^^^Dang, yet ANOTHER person, this time a REAL BONAFIDE DOCTOR, saying that published "numbers" are retarded. :lmfao:

HMMMMMM, be careful Godzilla.....farm boy is gonna try and tell you that YOU don't know anything because you disagree with his "guaranteed" salary idea he keeps banking on....after all.....you're "only" a DOCTOR yourself which in his world means you don't know anything about any other subject..... :rolleyes: :jerkit:

Kevykev
09-22-2005, 10:34 AM
damn, lot of long dedicated posts in this section.

Damn it Jaime!

Jaimecbr900
09-22-2005, 12:07 PM
damn, lot of long dedicated posts in this section.

Damn it Jaime!

:D

C22H19N3O4
09-22-2005, 09:28 PM
I dropped out bc the degree would become useless for me...:) Why waste another year of student loan for something that would collect dusts inside my file cabinet? I was very well prepared, thats why I used it as a stepping stone.

As for the salary...I dont believe half of what they posted..Salaries are based on demand and supplies. 2-4 yrs down the road, there could be twice as much recent graduates applying for the same position that is available as of today. However, I am sure the Board of Pharmacy and School of Pharmacy are intelligent enough to NOT flood the market with pharmacists.

Oh by the way, Organic Chemistry kicked my ass so did Pharmacology. :D

O. Chem is a weeder course. Well, the Pharm Board within each state or the Pharm Schools really don't care at this point whether the market gets flooded. New Pharm Schools are popping up every sememster to meet the demands. The hardest part I think is finding the faculty to teach at the schools. I'm PS 3 and my networking over the years has paid off, and will pay off in the next year. I just get annoyed when the dropouts that could not hack college start to blast those who realize the importance of an education. I can name one such idiot that will be providing home loans for the next 20 years...LoL. To each his own.

C22H19N3O4
09-22-2005, 10:20 PM
^ not every pharmacist makes around 100k starting out... i've stated before it goes on your degree and background. Kate has already been offered a starting position under her pharmacist now as her other pharmacist... Kroger is paying 96k a year starting out for Pharm D, CVS 98k, those numbers came from the recruiters kate has already talked to. Now that is just retail... but as you can see above i posted a link for a clinical position starting at 90k... so ya w/ a sign on bonus right now you can make 100k,,, they fields has been going up about 5k a year in salary, and is projected to be over 100k when she graduates, as i stated before....

there is a difference between a PHD and a Pharm D and a RPH
so even w/ her being w/ a retail company it all goes on background...

shit kate make 17+$ an hour now as a intern... that is 35k a year just being in college... do you honestly think if they pay their techs starting at 35k that they pay their pharmacist double that :jerkit: there is not school neccessary to be a tech, but to make double that you think people would take on 100k in debt in school loans to make 70k bahhhhh your kidding me right.

I didn't say every new Pharm is going to make exactly 100k a year, but I believe in most major markets they can. The fact that mortgage_moron believes that they can't makes me laugh. How can some dipshit who has never worked in the field even form an opinion on how much new Pharms make? A few paystubs he has lying around his desk? I can generalize how most in the mortgage industry are sharks ( my aunt is in the biz ) but I wouldn't make a blanket statement. I've been in the healthcare field for over 8 years, a big chunk in the Pharm industry. I went from a Level I Pharm Tech to Level IV, and now as an Intern and awaiting year 4 in rotations. So regardless of the paystubs you see on your desk, I can certainly decipher what recruiters are offering every month. The only area that is not close to the 100k range would be home healthcare. Mortgage_Moron, your problem is that you hate for anyone to disagree with you. Why would anyone be misguided by the ramblings of an uneducated moron such as yourself? Are you that insecure in you manhood that you can't handle the fact someone younger than you will be more successful? Are you that offended I don't agree with someone ( i.e you) not IN THE FIELD? You have no respectable perspective in this field Don't take it out on those who chose a higher level of education instead of wandering around for years comtemplating what they want to do with their life. We all aren't you, and I thank God, Allah, and Buddha everyday. If you want to share your limited life experiences or your rags to riches story, please feel free. Why is it that guys like you get so bitter as you age? I've worked with Pharms, who like you, truly believed they held the key to the vault that contained the secrets to a successful life. Five minutes later I pointed out that he put the wrong label on a patients bottle. :lmfao: Your stupidity is no longer a source of entertainment for me.

BTW, the RpH is really no longer used. A PhD is useful in the Pharm field in some regards. I see more Pharm D's and MBA's now. Paul, is Kroger willing to help payback her loans if she has any?

Jaimecbr900
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Keep running your dick sucker. Your day is coming, don't worry. :2up:

I'm bored with this subject already. I proved my point. Even your only ally has agreed with me, so mission accomplished. :D

Jaimecbr900
09-26-2005, 10:28 AM
I was reading an article just the other day about school rankings and MBA's. The interesting thing was that in that lengthy article a representative from SmithKline PHARMACEUTICALS was consulted. The interesting part was that in that article the discussion was about how certain schools rank throughout the country and how their graduates were being sought out by high caliber corp America for this and that position. Near the middle of the article, this SmithKline rep was discussing several things but one applied directly to this discussion and I found it ironically close to what I had mentioned about a dozen times here.

This is a direct quote from a PHARMACEUTICALS person from SmithKline in regards to UNrealistic expectations:

"Some graduates haven't caught on that a very competitive and cost-conscious corporate America does not believe in an entitlement system," says Rolando Larino, a finance and procurement director at pharmaceuticals maker GlaxoSmithKline PLC. "Once a graduate is in the door at a major company, the past is forgotten and they will be judged by their future achievements, period, and not by perceived potential -- sort of like being a freshman again. A few never really adjust and become frustrated and leave companies in search of Neverland."

I guess this guy doesn't know anything just like me then, huh? Is HE not in the "field" either? Would what he is saying be totally false because it doesn't agree with you either? :rolleyes:

4dmin
09-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Paul, is Kroger willing to help payback her loans if she has any?

ya they said they would pay 3k a year if she signed on, but w/ 22k a year in school 3k isn't shit to sign w/o being able negotiate your salary... so we are just going to pay them ourselves or see if she can negotiate them into her job...

kate was told they are projecting to be paying 65$ an hour by the time she graduates at this rate they are going now, so :goodjob:.

Vuongy_Dong
09-30-2005, 10:55 PM
To be honest, most of the "numbers" that all these places come up with are very skewed. I know people that have "accounting degrees" and are not making $40k/yr.

If you use these numbers in order to choose a course of study, you will likely end up both dissapointed and frustrated when you graduate because you won't merely step into these high dollar salaries like you thought.

The only course of studies that you can truly bank on starting salary figures on are professional type jobs, i.e. doctors, dentists, pharmacists, lawyers, policeman, fireman, etc. All those jobs have a pretty tangible starting salary history. Everyone knows that a doctors starts out making money the second they start their residency. The hours suck ass for a few years, but eventually they make oodles of money in a private practice or specialize in something. Police start out, as most gov't jobs, with a definite and predictable pay scale. The same goes for the rest of the jobs listed above.

My point is that noone should really put too much emphasis on published "pay scales" except for jobs that are pretty standardized. If you get an "accounting" degree, you could use that in several completely different jobs and therefore two completely different salaries.

Choose a major by looking at what you're likely to do, rather than chasing money. If your family owns their own business and you're likely to follow suit, then choose a major that would help you in that rather than something you'll never use. For example, if your family owns a widgit business that exports widgits to China, well you would be well suited for a management degree or an business degree or even a double major with a minor in foreign language to be able to manage the business one day. An accounting degree probably wouldn't help much there because most of the actual accounting in a business is usually done by a dedicated OUTSIDE accountant once or a few times a year. Follow where I'm going?

Too often people enter college with only their imaginary pocket book in mind and daydream about the days when all that imaginary cash is going to simply roll on in. Reality is that a degree is merely a starting point to anyone's intended career. It guarantees noone any salary. It only guarantees that you learned some basic skills you will fine tune and emerge out in the real work field. High salaries are not usually just given because of a degree. Sometimes the lack of a degree will KEEP you from getting more money in a certain position, but I've seen quite a few people overcome that too.
So true. I dont even have a degree in anything, but making $60,000+ a year now for 3 years as a Logistics manager. Its what you enjoy doing and making the most out of it to reach it. Hell, I'm only 24. Some of my friends has degree from Ga state and doesnt enjoy what they are doing. They pick it because back then it was the shit to take and makes money, but shit these days change so rapidly.

Julio
10-01-2005, 06:27 PM
So true. I dont even have a degree in anything, but making $60,000+ a year now for 3 years as a Logistics manager. Its what you enjoy doing and making the most out of it to reach it. Hell, I'm only 24. Some of my friends has degree from Ga state and doesnt enjoy what they are doing. They pick it because back then it was the shit to take and makes money, but shit these days change so rapidly.

Welcome to my world =] .. That kicks ass man!