PDA

View Full Version : 280zx turbo tranny wanted

Okay
02-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I have a 1978 280Z and I'm replacing the tranny with a 82 280zx turbo tranny. I have the driveshaft made already but I need a tranny. Any of you guys know where I can find one? I don't want to do a manual swap yet because I jsut want a quick replacement for now. I tired Z-cars atlanta already and they charged 600+ for a used tranny. Way too expensive and retarded when I can do a 5spd swap for around 300.

J Taylor
02-22-2008, 09:14 PM
I responded to your post in the WTB section but I'll put it here as well. Call Ira at Foregn Automotive in Opelika, AL. He probably has one and is always fair on prices....334-742-0789. I just gave away 2 turbo auto's last week to a guy that bought a 280zx turbo from me.

Okay
02-22-2008, 11:25 PM
woah....AL? Do you still have contact with that guy? Maybe he's nothing using both of those trannies you gave him hahah. Btw: do you know Mike cuz he told me about knowing a guy with my car with a RB.

J Taylor
02-23-2008, 08:54 AM
I know a few Mikes.....probably not the same one. I live in Mobile. The guy that bought my 280zx lives in Houston so it's probably not worth trying to get one of those. If you are in Atlanta, Opelika is only about 90 miles away.

Okay
02-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks, I called Ira and he gave me a fair price like you said. Before I make a trip there let me ask you something. I reason I'm looking for a new tranny is because my imput shaft(sp?), the shaft in the middle that holds the torque converter, came out completely. Can I just put it back in or it's out of gear? I've tried to put it back in but it won't go in all the way.

J Taylor
02-23-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't know alot about auto's so I'm not going to be much help there. Someone on a z forum could probably help you out with that. www.hybridz.org (http://www.hybridz.org/) is an excellent Z site.

JT