PDA

View Full Version : Legality Question

stillaneon
02-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Is there a law against putting a Police Interceptor Badge on your car??

A friend of mine wants to put it on his mustang but doesnt want to go to jail. says its worth the attention, as long as its not illegal...
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

d993s
02-21-2008, 04:32 PM
No, not at all...
Do it.......but make sure you drive through downtown Duluth, Suwanee, or Doraville.
Also, add sirens and multiple blue lights.......and don't forget, flashing headlight strobes like those ricers sport nowadays.

.blank cd
02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
This sounds like a great idea, kinda like putting a GTR badge on a Mustang, or Type R badge on an Accord or something.

You can do it, but why? Police are just gonna hassle you even more.

stillaneon
02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
I didnt say it was a smart/cool idea

He just wanted me to find out if it was legal.

SloWRX
02-21-2008, 04:35 PM
lolol tell him to do it :goodjob:

.blank cd
02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
If he can get a hold of one (I dont see how) tell him to put it on

stillaneon
02-21-2008, 04:39 PM
He has one. I do too but it doesnt mean Im putting it on my car

quickdodge®
02-21-2008, 04:47 PM
No, not at all...
Do it.......but make sure you drive through downtown Duluth, Suwanee, or Doraville.
Also, add sirens and multiple blue lights.......and don't forget, flashing headlight strobes like those ricers sport nowadays.

So as not to look like a ricer, he needs to complete the deal and get some CRIME SCENE tape and a badge.

Lolol. Yes. I believe this to be highly illegal. Later, QD.

RandomGuy
02-21-2008, 04:47 PM
well... i don't think its illegal (dont quote me on it)

i see taxi's all day with police interceptor badges on the back... (Decomissioned cop cars? bought from the auction)

I even see some with the external spotlight on the driver side.

thinkfast®
02-21-2008, 04:49 PM
QUESTION #1: IS THIS THE SAME MORON THAT SMOKES WEED ALL THE TIME?

stillaneon
02-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Nope, different moron.

I didnt know if anyone knew where in the codebook I could find it.... Tired of looking online

quickdodge®
02-21-2008, 04:53 PM
It is actually illegal to do so. It falls under the "impersonation of a police officer" code. You can not display anything that would give the impression that you are a cop. Later, QD.

d993s
02-21-2008, 04:55 PM
QUESTION #1: IS THIS THE SAME MORON THAT SMOKES WEED ALL THE TIME?

How do you manage to incriminate yourself with such svelteness?

matthewAPM
02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
make it like this
http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/images/lambo_polizia.jpg

OneSlow5pt0
02-21-2008, 05:38 PM
but u can have a black and white car without any writing on the sides and red light bar......cant you? cant u have lights as long as they arnt blue

Echonova
02-21-2008, 05:52 PM
It is actually illegal to do so. It falls under the "impersonation of a police officer" code. You can not display anything that would give the impression that you are a cop. Later, QD.True, many years ago I was going to buy a Mustang, Saleen body kit paint the same scheme as the GSP with-out the badging. I was told in order to register the car it would have to be re-painted. Now if the car started life as a police car and was sold at auction it's ok you don't have to re-paint:thinking: . Our government hard at work. Also this was 12 years ago... things might be different now.

98strat
02-21-2008, 08:20 PM
You can buy crown vics with the PI package. Its not uncommon.

Slow Motion
02-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I do believ you must have permits for red, amber, or white strobes....Impersonating an officer is highly illegal and you will receive time for it. I am trying to get permits now for security comp. so.

~fin~

stillaneon
02-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Clear/White Strobes aren't illegal. I have them on my car. A cop told me as long as they flash clear, not blue or red

Frög
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Clear/White Strobes aren't illegal. I have them on my car. A cop told me as long as they flash clear, not blue or red

police interceptor badge is legal.. you can put it on, its not impersonating anything.. it is rice though..

any stobes are illegal.. the cop was wrong.. i think what he meant is: blue flashing lights ie. blinkers is illegal, white blinkers is legal..

but white strobes are illegal!!! you need permits, and cars with strobes usually have a window sticker as proof of that permit..

Frög
04-03-2008, 08:37 PM
isn't it a factory police package? P71 package? idk if it was available to the public new, but you can by them used.. the police department does not add that badge, which means you can add it.. just like adding a brush guard or that spotlight to a crown vic..

Police package includes:

140 speedometer
HD cooling
Larger sway bar
HD alternator
Bushings
4-wheel disc Brakes
HD driveshaft and U-joints
Engine oil cooler
Stainless dual Exhaust
Power steering cooler
HD Suspension
Trans Cooler
HD Wheels
Cooling Package
HD Body mounts
HD Tires
HD Roof Reinforcement
Working Spotlight
Deleted hood insulation
HD seats
Full size spare tire

Frög
04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
This i am a 100% sure of.. you can buy used police Crown Vics from police departments.. they remove all the strobes, MARKINGS and etc, but leave the police interceptor badge..

now, WHY would they sell something illegal?!?!?!?!?!?

in this case, they removed all strobes except the corner ones.. idk why..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Crown-Victoria-P71-2000-Ford-Crown-Vic-Police-Interceptor-V8-93K-Nice-car_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6227QQihZ004QQitemZ 140218653858QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Frög
04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
http://jalopnik.com/367272/transformers-mustang-cop-car-replica-not-police-approved

don't approve, but can't do anything about it..

Frög
04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
not a 100% sure on this, but i think the public could special order them from the dealer.. crown vics that is.. so they would come with a police interceptor badge.. regardless, you can buy them used..

stillaneon
04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
wow. Frog. Old thread but way to bring some research to the table. I didnt think it was illegal, but thanks man!! Reps if I can for the info!

Frög
04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
wow hahah i clicked on <<new posts>> and it was there.. weird?!?! reps back..

Evil Goat
04-03-2008, 08:56 PM
jesus christ people, its a badge, its not illegal, you can actually purchase a vehicle from the dealer with the police interceptor package and guess what? it will come with the badge....there were several solid black chargers a few months back at a dodge dealership in perry with the police package for sell to the public....its a ****ing car, not some damn area 13 technology that police want to hide from you.

Frög
04-03-2008, 08:58 PM
its a ****ing car, not some damn area 13 technology that police want to hide from you.

uuummmmmm what??!?! :doh:

stillaneon
04-03-2008, 08:59 PM
well he asked last month but gave it to me and its on my door now. lol

stillaneon
04-03-2008, 09:00 PM
area 13?? is that a secret

Evil Goat
04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
uuummmmmm what??!?! :doh:

meaning vehicles with police packages aren't something that is hidden from the public, they are almost always available for public purchase, new or used, in the same manner a police department would purchase them. so if you want to stick a interceptor badge on whatever its game, stick on

blah, im watching oceans 13 on the tv @ my desk....area 51 is what i meant :doh:

stillaneon
04-03-2008, 09:03 PM
meaning vehicles with police packages aren't something that is hidden from the public, they are almost always available for public purchase, new or used, in the same manner a police department would purchase them. so if you want to stick a interceptor badge on whatever its game, stick on

Oh... Area 51:goodjob:

Gotcha. thanks man

+ whatever I give

markopolo311
04-04-2008, 01:52 AM
it is illegal in NY if anyone cares. There's a law that says no on but police can have the word "Police" written on their car, and the ford badges count.