PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods Fakes crew step in.

Fr33way
02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
From a member of Maxima.org, street driven car (obviously).

Here's my advice, take it for what it is worth to you.

Stay clear of "affordable" rims and knock-off brands. They do not have the quality control in production that the better brands do, that is one of the ways the cut the cost down. Look for forged rims or at least pressure cast. They will be stronger than simple gravity cast, and probably lighter too. I had an inexpensive set of rims and one shattered around a corner sending me into a curb and damaging my car. I learned my lesson, save up and get quality.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/sweetd3rdgen/explodedrim.jpg

I spoke with a metalurgist at a local foundry and he told me that it looked like a cold pour. He said quality control should have caught that.

Also the wheel shattered in rotation, not from impact.

NAIZBST
02-20-2008, 06:12 PM
interesting

Fr33way
02-20-2008, 06:40 PM
If anyone is wondering I read on in the thread that it was an Excel wheel.

Fr33way
02-20-2008, 06:45 PM
*edit

Jesus, it's spelled Exel....

LeX
02-20-2008, 09:45 PM
yeah bro don;'t buy that **** from wheelmax LOL you may get your money's worth until CRUNCH

takume
02-26-2008, 11:00 PM
that's a scary lesson,lol. That's exel wheels is not that good looking nor does it hella cheap. I am glad with my JDM enkei.

japan4racing
02-26-2008, 11:32 PM
out of how many millions of cheap-o wheels sold have we sent his happen? i can count on one hand the threads i have seen about the wheels breaking......i cant count on 2 hands how many sets of these wheels i have had. im not saying this **** dont happen but im sure there is alot of **** that gets by every manufacturer. its a flaw, it happens...honda civics have plenty of problems..they are cheap cars..why not quit buying them also. i think its really stupid to give up on buying anything, regardless of how much it costs , simply because a handful of ppl out of at least hundreds of thousands have some probs.