PDA

View Full Version : evo X vs IX/VIII

blk-majik
02-20-2008, 03:12 PM
which would you buy? I'm looking at the X. Totally new engine, which is a big unknown.

Pros:
looks way better :)
initial mod/tuning results are killer (100+ whp off boltons, +80whp off AFR tune)
ECU(s) already cracked, seeming VERY tuner friendly
outperforms older modles on the track, stock
'nicer' car overall (interior, options, etc)
TC-SST dual-clutch paddle trans in the MR
New technology (S-AWC system) looks fun as hell to drive with

Cons:
New engine isnt proven yet. Alum block semi-closed block is typically a bit weaker. no sure how it'll hold up to high power. internals also still need pushed
TC-SST trans may not handle high power mods.
TC-SST trans is fully enclosed and not servicable (yet). Expect quick warranty voids and pricey replacements if it doesnt hold up
Heavier than older modles.
Only availble new ($$$)
MR not available for a couple more months
No traditional manual trans option for the MR

so if you were to buy an evo in the next few months, what gen would you take if you were spending someone else's money?

ct9a gsr
02-20-2008, 03:27 PM
For going fast: VIII or IX
For DD: X TC-SST

btw, that TC-SST is manufactured by Getrag... so it has a tiny hope of actually being able to handle a decent amount of power before failure... but then again, it is bolted to a Mitsubishi so maybe not. =x

blk-majik
02-20-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure who made the TC trans they used back then, but ralliart did have one on the last wrc04 ralli car. I think they only used it for a year or two before they pulled out of WRC. But those cars were speced a touch over 300whp if i recall, and the trans didn't have any problems that i can remember in the WRC series, which is some pretty extreme abuse. Hopefully they didn't water it down too much. I think they used a multiplate carbon clutch. I dont think the SST in the X is carbon =/

As for going fast, you mean in the straights? Looks like the X corners a good bit faster, but the 4g63's are still on top of the 1/4. do you know how well tuned the 8's were off the dealer lot? Most manufacturers sell cars running rich... mitsu sure did that with the X, but no idea how the 8/9's acted off the lot.

upstatescevo
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
For going fast: VIII or IX
For DD: X TC-SST

btw, that TC-SST is manufactured by Getrag... so it has a tiny hope of actually being able to handle a decent amount of power before failure... but then again, it is bolted to a Mitsubishi so maybe not. =x

like he said i wouldnt trust the tranny 4 mitsu's all with good power and tranny problems

ct9a gsr
02-20-2008, 08:03 PM
My evo tranny held fine 'til 700whp... so there's a chance the Evo X's trannies may hold up. I'm sure many people on EvoM will find out soon enough.

EJ25RUN
02-20-2008, 08:07 PM
i think the evo x. It has potential. Someone's just gotta expose it.

blk-majik
02-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Only the MR will use the TC-SST tranny. The GSR still uses the good ol' traditional 5speed manual. I don't think they changed anything with it.

Axix23
02-22-2008, 08:16 PM
anybody test drive 1 yet? how they think?

blk-majik
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
they are still hard to find, and atl mitsu dealers seem to suck across the board =/ Ed Voyles called me on Friday and said they got a bunch in (12 iirc), but I haven't stopped in yet. I'm reluctant because I'm waiting for the MR and I don't want put up with sales tools. The ones I spoke with with painfully clueless, yet confident. that topic may warrant another thread :)

redpanda
02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
IX MR all day every day

EM1toEVO
03-11-2008, 10:22 AM
The SST transmission on the Evo X more than likely won't be able to withstand high horsepower applications because of the way that the transmission is made. I have read several articles that have been written by folks that spoke directly to Mitsu. It is just like the VW DSG clutch. If you put down more than 300-350, you will toast the clutch. If anything goes wrong, you have to replace the whole assembly since it is a closed system. Don't worry though, I'm sure the aftermarket companies will be hard at work finding a way to rebuild it to withstand more hp.

WickedIXMR
03-11-2008, 12:44 PM
I would go with a X gsr. Supposedly they 5 speed in those are even stronger then the evo 9's. They gain lots of power with just bolt ons. Interior is hell of alot nicer. The block is aluminum but has forged internals.

TRAYZ06
03-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Saw a X in person. On the computer, magazines, etc. looks kinda eh. But in person in grew on me really quick. It looks mean, And they did more aero work. Rear diffuser etc.
If you want to go fast build a race car. Get a used evo.

Or wait a year or 2.

Tray M

RUFFIAN
03-13-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm saying the X. I saw it in person and it was Baddassed:camera: . I am iffy on the twin clutch but I think the platform will impress. I saw some one doing a test drive on 138 and they were acting the Monkey:police: . I found myself wishing it was me scaring the hell out of the sales guy and everyone else around.:ninja:

EM1toEVO
03-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd hate to get a SST equipped X that had test drives like that in it's past...

2.3 Evo 8
03-26-2008, 07:04 PM
IMO the X looks like ****. If you plan on modifying the car go with an 8 or 9.

sugarbear
09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
id go with a 8 or a 9
the 10's dont look nice to me at all
plus i rather stick with a 4g hehe

Z33_kid
09-24-2008, 09:01 PM
used ftw

black_e92
09-25-2008, 02:47 AM
EVO VIII or EVO IX

wOZrally
10-01-2008, 11:15 PM
4g63t ftw

Paree4g63
10-05-2008, 03:07 AM
another 8 or 9 FTMW! you gotta be making that paper to own a X and really mod it.. Nothings wrong with old school

4eGv6o3
01-18-2009, 08:34 PM
I test drove the X MR and was very impressed with the transmission. In fact it's very good. I love the X looks as well, but I'm just gonna hold on to my IX MR.

$9ktt
02-15-2009, 08:08 PM
V/// or IX !!! That X is HUGE and FUGLY !!!! Or get the Ralliart if you want something new. No fender blisters, lower hp...but also a lower PRICE !!!! 25g's here in Disgusta.

B