PDA

View Full Version : Misc For you Nerds - Windows Vista (Longhorn)

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2005, 01:15 PM
We've been messing around with the new Vista Beta 1 at work (previously called Longhorn) and its not even worth it. Don't waste your time... its basically XP with a Longhorn skin interface... The only thing that is different is IE 7 Beta 1... it has tabs like FireFox which is nice.

Blah... I guess we'll see how much better Beta 2 is.

Pher
08-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Can you give me some more feedback Pat? I was hoping someone would have input on this.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Alright! So now I can have several browser tabs with massive security holes!

Sign me up.

Also if some newsgroup somewhere were to have a copy of this beta version uploaded to it, I'm sure nobody would think it was you. Just sayin'.

Spyder
08-08-2005, 01:25 PM
is it possible to still get the software? i dont have a "legit" version of xp and it would be nice to have some of the security updates hehe..

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Can you give me some more feedback Pat? I was hoping someone would have input on this.

I can see some of the new innovative features are starting to get molded in like a built in index-ed search engine. Also there is a way where one computer can be a presentation computer and others can join the presentation and view whats on the main users screen. Sort of a remote desktop thing, but for presentation viewing. This could allow a room full of people with laptops on a LAN to view a powerpoint presentative in real-time. You can also see where Microsoft is taking the Apple approach... bigger 3D looking icons and the menu is a Mac interactive type layout.

There are other little things, but I could consider this far from being a completely new operating system. Granted this is Beta 1 so I'm sure we won't see anything major until Beta 2/3.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Also for all of you that want a "copy" .... I am using our company's MSDN subscription which allows us to grab Beta's and RC releases like the beta testers. So no, I cannot get you a copy.

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2005, 01:30 PM
is it possible to still get the software? i dont have a "legit" version of xp and it would be nice to have some of the security updates hehe..

You can still get security updates without a legit copy. As a matter of fact, Microsoft will allow illegal copies to download updates because they feel everyone should not be exploited by hackers.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Also for all of you that want a "copy" .... I am using our company's MSDN subscription which allows us to grab Beta's and RC releases like the beta testers. So no, I cannot get you a copy.

My dept. used to have one of those, but we discontinued it because the company was supposed to get a corporate subscription to cover everyone.. it's been about 18 months now... :/

Spyder
08-08-2005, 02:21 PM
You can still get security updates without a legit copy. As a matter of fact, Microsoft will allow illegal copies to download updates because they feel everyone should not be exploited by hackers.

Did they finally change that? last time i went to update my system it gave me a message, something along the lines of "you have the most commonly pirated key to microsoft windows xp pro. if you are the owner please contact us at 1-800-nopirates we will only provide updated security updates for legitiment users blah blah blah..." and this was about 2 months ago.

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Did they finally change that? last time i went to update my system it gave me a message, something along the lines of "you have the most commonly pirated key to microsoft windows xp pro. if you are the owner please contact us at 1-800-nopirates we will only provide updated security updates for legitiment users blah blah blah..." and this was about 2 months ago.

Hhhmm, You must be using a really old CD key that was first distributed on the net. I remember that, and thats old school.

Spyder
08-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Hhhmm, You must be using a really old CD key that was first distributed on the net. I remember that, and thats old school.

Unfortunatly being old skool doesn't get me any props from microsoft lol.

Deaf Pimp
08-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Unfortunatly being old skool doesn't get me any props from microsoft lol.

Get off your lazy ass and get another copy!

Spyder
08-08-2005, 03:28 PM
I dont know where to find one that isnt full of virus's :(