PDA

View Full Version : 8 Killed in Drag Race on Suburban Road

EJ25RUN
02-16-2008, 02:47 PM
The article (http://news.aol.com/story/_a/8-killed-in-drag-race-on-suburban-road/20080216110009990001)

EJ25RUN
02-16-2008, 02:53 PM
sad to say this but for what i have gathered from the article.....

What kind of person runs into traffic to see cars race. Its sad but some of those people were really stupid.

SicStang03
DAMN, that sux.... weird age range out there to be viewing street racers ehh?

BobbyFresco
When will people learn that street racing is stupid? :no:

Revmaynard
02-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Clearly never, that dude was 61! LOL.

IndianStig
02-16-2008, 02:57 PM
thats terrible

Echonova
02-16-2008, 02:58 PM
When will people learn that street racing is stupid? :no:While I won't say everyone does it, I know I did my fair share before I wised up. I would never do it again and if I could change the past I wouldn't have then. Just because as yet another incident shows, nothing good can come of it. I'm just glad the ones killed were there of their own accord and not innocent bystanders caught in someone else's stupidity.

superboost
02-16-2008, 03:09 PM
sad to say this but for what i have gathered from the article.....

What kind of person runs into traffic to see cars race. Its sad but some of those people were really stupid.

Am I the only one who finds this story a little fishy? As said, who the hell runs into a crowd to see someone race, and B, who does it in a white crown vic? I think this was probably a plain clothes cop coming to break up the race and lost control. They then blamed it on the crowd. Either that, or it was some drunk who lost control of their vehicle. How often do you see people street race white crown victorias?

All sounds a little fishy to me.

Who races a white crown vic?
http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2008-02/35712582.jpg

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/2008/US/02/16/drag.race.deaths.ap/art.crash.ap.jpg

Dollars to donuts says it was a plain clothes cop who lost control of his vehicle....

redrumracer
02-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Am I the only one who finds this story a little fishy? As said, who the hell runs into a crowd to see someone race, and B, who does it in a white crown vic? I think this was probably a plain clothes cop coming to break up the race and lost control. They then blamed it on the crowd. Either that, or it was some drunk who lost control of their vehicle. How often do you see people street race white crown victorias?

Dollars to donuts says it was a plain clothes cop who lost control of his vehicle....

the vic wasnt in the race, it just killed all the people standing in the middle of the road. and who exactly is goin to receive the blame for this?? is it the racers fault for racing or the peoples fault for standing in the middle of the road??

EJ25RUN
02-16-2008, 03:32 PM

Go Back and actually read the article this time!

integraguy06
02-16-2008, 03:35 PM
^^ lol

SicStang03
02-16-2008, 03:38 PM
I just found this article on another forum..

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4300538

AlanŽ
02-16-2008, 04:42 PM
im sure qd's response would be reps to the driver of the crown vic for eliminating a few more idiots from the gene pool.

Personally I don't think any charges should be filed other than street racing to the idiots that were in the race. I say this because presumably if the driver was not dui and he was driving down the road he reaches down to pick something up and he looks back up and all of a sudden boom their's a whole crowd of people in front of you and you kill them. The people weren't supposed to be there in the first place so how is it the drivers fault?

EJ25RUN
02-16-2008, 04:43 PM
im sure qd's response would be reps to the driver of the crown vic for eliminating a few more idiots from the gene pool.

Personally I don't think any charges should be filed other than street racing to the idiots that were in the race. I say this because presumably if the driver was not dui and he was driving down the road he reaches down to pick something up and he looks back up and all of a sudden boom their's a whole crowd of people in front of you and you kill them. The people weren't supposed to be there in the first place so how is it the drivers fault?

with a good lawyer, everything you said works.

Turbo04
02-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Sucks for the familiys of the dead. The street racers should be charged with the most serious crime possible, I think perhaps manslaughter? The way the article I read made it seem that visibility was affected due to the smoke and such...so as a direct result of the childish antics 8 people are dead. Ain't street racing cool?

oh and some ppl need to READ articles before posting. :goodjob:

superboost
02-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Go Back and actually read the article this time!

I DID. GO BACK AND READ MY POST50

What I'm saying is that the story is just very poorly written. Very sensationalist. 8 killed in drag race, when clearly they weren't racing as a result. They were merely in the wrong place at the wrong time. This story is what we would like to call in the Journalism community, red herring. Very poor journalism. And seeing as how I just graduated with a journalism degree from GSU, I would know a thing or two about it.

WhiteAccord
02-16-2008, 05:22 PM
I just dont understand why its drag racing that got these people killed.

Drag racing had nothing to do with the guy hitting the people. Sounds like theres just trying to find a reason for this guy not to be at fault.

Also the driver should be the one charged. IMO

AlanŽ
02-16-2008, 05:32 PM

Drag racing had nothing to do with the guy hitting the people. Sounds like theres just trying to find a reason for this guy not to be at fault.

Well that makes you an idiot. Ok let me put it to youthis way. It's 3 A.M. and instead of these idiots being at home asleep or something. They get out in the middle of the highway and watch a street race. They are already commiting two crimes. Assuming the dude wasn't dui or something he's driving down the road drops something takes his eyes off the road to pick it up asssuming that hey its 3 am its not like im gonna hit someone and what happens bam he hits 8 people.You still think its the drivers fault?

SicStang03
02-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Well that makes you an idiot. Ok let me put it to youthis way. It's 3 A.M. and instead of these idiots being at home asleep or something. They get out in the middle of the highway and watch a street race. They are already commiting two crimes. Assuming the dude wasn't dui or something he's driving down the road drops something takes his eyes off the road to pick it up asssuming that hey its 3 am its not like im gonna hit someone and what happens bam he hits 8 people.You still think its the drivers fault?

HAHA.. the only crime they committed was J-walking... Read the article, one of the witnesses said the person didn't have their lights on. Just because they are going to watch an illegal race doesn't mean they needed to be hit by a car. Stupid on everyones part. The driver still should have been paying attention...

EJ25RUN
02-16-2008, 05:40 PM

you've obviously never had someone else's idiocy result in something bad happening to you.

AlanŽ
02-16-2008, 05:42 PM
HAHA.. the only crime they committed was J-walking... Read the article, one of the witnesses said the person didn't have their lights on. Just because they are going to watch an illegal race doesn't mean they needed to be hit by a car. Stupid on everyones part. The driver still should have been paying attention...
they were also spectators to a street race which is a citable offense. Also the thing about the headlights couldn't be confirmed. Point is they were in a place they weren't supposed to be doing something they weren't supposed to be and it resulted in 8 people losing their lives.

TIGERJC
02-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Sh.it happens

You take this risk when you watch or participate in a street race. As long as the driver was not under the influence and/or he did not intend to hit them, I don't think he should be charged and the same goes to the two drivers that were racing.

Leadfoot_mf
02-16-2008, 06:33 PM
HAHA.. the only crime they committed was J-walking... Read the article, one of the witnesses said the person didn't have their lights on. Just because they are going to watch an illegal race doesn't mean they needed to be hit by a car. Stupid on everyones part. The driver still should have been paying attention...um thats what the dumb asses that were watching the race said. so take that with a grain of salt. :goodjob:

slow_hatch
02-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Either way, its no good. Personally the people in the wrong were the ones standing out in the middle of the road. No need to blam the two racing for their deaths. Street racing maybe, but manslaughter come on. :rolleyes: I'm sure the people who lost family members are just trying to blam someone other than their selfs for being out there in the first place. Since when did street racing become a family outting??? White trash??

Turbo04
02-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Either way, its no good. Personally the people in the wrong were the ones standing out in the middle of the road. No need to blam the two racing for their deaths. Street racing maybe, but manslaughter come on. :rolleyes: I'm sure the people who lost family members are just trying to blam someone other than their selfs for being out there in the first place. Since when did street racing become a family outting??? White trash??

When did street racing become acceptable? It would send a stong message that street racers can do what they feel like if they are not held accountable for some part in this accident. If in fact the article is correct and the smoke and **** cause visiablity issues then the racers are absoluetly the cause of the deaths. Yeah the ppl should not have been in the road but their dead now...so the racers just get off? Gee on that logic I should be able to go rob a bank randomly shooting a gun and if I hit a bystandard, oh well they shouldn't have been there. I HIGHLY doubt the car that hit the people is at fault, unless the driver was dui or something of that nature.

Got Milk?
02-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Idont know what to say.

EJ25RUN
02-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Idont know what to say.

thank god!

quickdodgeŽ
02-16-2008, 10:03 PM
The article (http://news.aol.com/story/_a/8-killed-in-drag-race-on-suburban-road/20080216110009990001)

It's things like this that make me smile and think to myself, I'm glad I knwo how to use my brain. Later, QD.

Got Milk?
02-16-2008, 10:05 PM
but its funny how the driver that ran into the group of people didnt see them.

I mean, it said that there was 50 people there....how can u not see 50 people down the road?

TIGERJC
02-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I bet the guy didn't have his lights on. A group of 10 ppl would have saw the headlights even if they werent looking that way since it was the middle of the night and it was a flat road.

I could see 1 - 3 ppl being hit if he had his lights on

redrumracer
02-16-2008, 10:25 PM
When did street racing become acceptable? It would send a stong message that street racers can do what they feel like if they are not held accountable for some part in this accident. If in fact the article is correct and the smoke and **** cause visiablity issues then the racers are absoluetly the cause of the deaths. Yeah the ppl should not have been in the road but their dead now...so the racers just get off? Gee on that logic I should be able to go rob a bank randomly shooting a gun and if I hit a bystandard, oh well they shouldn't have been there. I HIGHLY doubt the car that hit the people is at fault, unless the driver was dui or something of that nature.

so you think that the racers should be charged for the spectators stupid actions. the racers should be punished for racing but they have no control over what others do. the people that died had a choice to be there and with every choice there is a consequence. and this is nothing like a bank robber pointing the gun and randomly shooting the gun. in that situation the robber is doing the killing, not some random person that just happens to be walking down the sidewalk.

baggedvenge
02-16-2008, 11:03 PM
"She grabbed her daughter, pulling the girl to safety. But her father, William Gaines Sr., 61, had a broken leg, and was not able to get away in time. Afterward, she found his body on the road."

If anybody is charged, it should be this woman endangering her child

Got Milk?
02-16-2008, 11:16 PM
"She grabbed her daughter, pulling the girl to safety. But her father, William Gaines Sr., 61, had a broken leg, and was not able to get away in time. Afterward, she found his body on the road."

If anybody is charged, it should be this woman endangering her child

+9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999999

And this street racing age thing is so random. WTH is 60 year old mad doing at street racing. Or better yet, what is a women with a child doing there.

2.3 Evo 8
02-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Am I the only one who finds this story a little fishy? As said, who the hell runs into a crowd to see someone race, and B, who does it in a white crown vic? I think this was probably a plain clothes cop coming to break up the race and lost control. They then blamed it on the crowd. Either that, or it was some drunk who lost control of their vehicle. How often do you see people street race white crown victorias?All sounds a little fishy to me.

What I'm saying is that the story is just very poorly written. Very sensationalist. 8 killed in drag race, when clearly they weren't racing as a result. They were merely in the wrong place at the wrong time. This story is what we would like to call in the Journalism community, red herring. Very poor journalism. And seeing as how I just graduated with a journalism degree from GSU, I would know a thing or two about it.

You got fvcked on your education because you can't even read a story correctly.

Cliff notes:

Two cars burnout (big smokey smokey)
Cars take off racing
Crowd runs into road to view race (big smokey smoke from burnout is still present)
White crown vic drives through smoke and plows over crowd

The end

quickdodgeŽ
02-17-2008, 06:55 AM
so you think that the racers should be charged for the spectators stupid actions. the racers should be punished for racing but they have no control over what others do.

Yes they should be charged. They were engaged in an illegal activity. They were negligent, did not yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and driving erratically. Not to mention street racing. Later, QD.

David88vert
02-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Actually, legally, many people can and should be charged.

The racers were breaking the law with street racing. They should be charged with contest of speed and possibly wreckless driving.
The lady who lost her father should be charged with child endangerment, jay walking, possible some more stuff they can find - but that won't bring her father back. She will suffer already.

I'm not sure if Virginia has a law saying that you cannot spectate at a street race, so anyone else there might nit be chargeable - since it would be hard to prove who was and wasn't jaywalking. However, they might be able to charge them with some sort of illegal congregation law. Most states have something like that.

The driver of the Crown Vic should most definately be charged. If yoiu drive down the road and run into a foggy area, and hit a stopped car - you are at fault. While this does not seem right, it is legal. This driver should be charged with multiple counts of manslaughter legally, no matter how stupid it seems.

There are really no winners in this incident. It's just an accident. Accidents do happen.

Before everyone rushes to say street racing is dangerous, think of this. People race across the country every weekend, and we hear of a deadly crash once in a while. If you looked at legal racing vs illegal racing, how many deaths per capita do you think you would find? Bottom line is - any activity that a person engages in can and will be "dangerous" - even knitting (needle "could" go through your throat). Living is a chance at dying.

slow_hatch
02-17-2008, 08:12 AM

I never said it was acceptable :rolleyes: But charge them for their actions(reckless, contest of speed) not manslaugter. They in no way made those dumba55 people run to the middle of the road. How can you compare shooting a gun and accidentally hitting someone, to street racers that didn't hit anyone :thinking:

Turbo04
02-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I never said it was acceptable :rolleyes: But charge them for their actions(reckless, contest of speed) not manslaugter. They in no way made those dumba55 people run to the middle of the road. How can you compare shooting a gun and accidentally hitting someone, to street racers that didn't hit anyone :thinking:

obviously we have trouble reading my post in it's entirety....IF the article is correct and they find that the smoke (read here: Smoke from said street racer's burnouts) did infact affect visibility then they are responsible. Not to mention that they were engaged in an ILLEGAL activity. Yes they did not directly make the people go into the road, but I highly doubt said people would have been present in the road had the racers not been racing. So perhaps they did not intend for people to be killed by their actions, never the less people were and as such they should be held responsible. I compare my situation to this one as such: If I was shooting the gun randomly, I may not have intended to injure or kill someone but if even indirectly my actions caused injury or death I would be held responsible. Same situation here.

AlanŽ
02-17-2008, 02:24 PM
The driver of the Crown Vic should most definately be charged. If yoiu drive down the road and run into a foggy area, and hit a stopped car - you are at fault. While this does not seem right, it is legal. This driver should be charged with multiple counts of manslaughter legally, no matter how stupid it seems.

That's differnet though that basically just following too close. How can you justify charging someone with manslaughter when those people shouldn't have been there in the first place?

wantboost
02-17-2008, 02:26 PM
did they catch the "racers"

AlanŽ
02-17-2008, 02:27 PM
did they catch the "racers"
nope not yet

ftp
02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
my bet is it was a detective that got tipped off and was tryin to sneak up.. imo,he should be the one facing charges not the racers..Who drives with no headlights at night in a situation like that????

David88vert
02-17-2008, 10:22 PM
That's differnet though that basically just following too close. How can you justify charging someone with manslaughter when those people shouldn't have been there in the first place?

Never said anything about following too close. That would not be applicable in this situation.
People have the right of way over vehicles on the road. Even if a person is jaywalking, legally, you cannot hit them. I did not say it was right, just the legality of the situation.

AlanŽ
02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Never said anything about following too close. That would not be applicable in this situation.
People have the right of way over vehicles on the road. Even if a person is jaywalking, legally, you cannot hit them. I did not say it was right, just the legality of the situation.
what i was saying that if a car hits a parked car on the side of the road like the example you gave it would simply be following to close or something along those lines.

2.3 Evo 8
02-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Smokey smoke.

redrumracer
02-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Yes they should be charged. They were engaged in an illegal activity. They were negligent, did not yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and driving erratically. Not to mention street racing. Later, QD.

they should be charged for street racing, but not with the deaths. and there was no reason for the racers to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, they're not the ones that hit and killed the spectators. also dont forget the people were also engaged in illegal activities just for being there and watching the race. hte only thing the racers did was race. and as for the other guy i dont know about you but if i see a big cloud of smoke covering the road im goin to slow down. the punishment should fit the crime.

1SICKLEX
02-17-2008, 11:23 PM
OMG did anyone READ the damn article......

Race happens, they do burnouts.....
Crowd gathers on street in burnout smoke
Ford Crown Vic drives on street not knowing in the smoke was 20 something people standing in the street

Maybe some of you understand this way
1. Crowd Gathers are the Varsity first Thursdays
2. People do Burnouts after 10pm, smoke fogs the area
3. An actual Varsity customer drives through fog, thinking its a parking lot but its rice heaven, 70% of the posters here get killed

2.3 Evo 8
02-17-2008, 11:25 PM

Ford Crown Vic drives on street not knowing in the smoke was 20 something people standing in the street

3. An actual Varsity customer drives through fog, thinking its a parking lot but its rice heaven, 70% of the posters here get killed'

I already gave cliff notes, but this is IA and the IQ level is low.

On_Her_Face
02-17-2008, 11:26 PM

3. An actual Varsity customer drives through fog, thinking its a parking lot but its rice heaven, 70% of the posters here get killed

:lmfao: reps

1SICKLEX
02-17-2008, 11:27 PM
You got fvcked on your education because you can't even read a story correctly.

Cliff notes:

Two cars burnout (big smokey smokey)
Cars take off racing
Crowd runs into road to view race (big smokey smoke from burnout is still present)
White crown vic drives through smoke and plows over crowd

The end
lol.....

Tech5
02-17-2008, 11:28 PM
wowow.....Dont street race ppl

quickdodgeŽ
02-18-2008, 02:59 AM
they should be charged for street racing, but not with the deaths. and there was no reason for the racers to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, they're not the ones that hit and killed the spectators. also dont forget the people were also engaged in illegal activities just for being there and watching the race. hte only thing the racers did was race. and as for the other guy i dont know about you but if i see a big cloud of smoke covering the road im goin to slow down. the punishment should fit the crime.

Wow. I'll never understand the "logic" some people have in their defense of "street racers." Later, QD.

David88vert
02-18-2008, 06:34 AM
what i was saying that if a car hits a parked car on the side of the road like the example you gave it would simply be following to close or something along those lines.

Incorrect. Following too closely happens on a moving car. Not a parked one. If the person in the Crown Vic had hit a car that was parked in the middle of the road, they could still be charged legally. It happens here some.

AlanŽ
02-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Incorrect. Following too closely happens on a moving car. Not a parked one. If the person in the Crown Vic had hit a car that was parked in the middle of the road, they could still be charged legally. It happens here some.
im not a cop so i wouldnt know what to charge someone under those circumstances but either way I still can't see charging the driver of the white vic for the deaths of those people.

BKgenŽ
02-18-2008, 07:45 AM

cool helicopter.

turborodarry
02-21-2008, 08:45 PM
that sucks but you should do that **** on the street

Brian*
02-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Damn, thats messed up*