PDA

View Full Version : Empty parking lots in Marietta?

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 09:46 AM
So, after having driven sub-150whp front wheel drive cars for most of my driving career, I now find myself in posession of a relative monster, a 255whp/285wtq AWD beast that needs to be tamed.

What I'm looking for is just a wide open, flat expanse of pavement that's sparse in lightpoles or curbs that I can practice emergency maneuvers in, especially in incelement weather. I'm not looking to do something dumb like spin donuts all over the place, but I really need to get a grip on the handling characteristics of the car, how to control four-wheel drift, things like that. It's so weird to feel the tail of the car hang out and have the front wheels still applying power.. makes it easy to overcorrect and spin-out the other way, which is something I've done once already (in a parking lot too small for the application for which I desire it).

This necessity is doubly important because I'll be installing new springs and swaybars soon, which will dramatically alter turn-in and change the car's tendency from mild understeer to oversteer.

So.. anybody know a place in Marietta (or thereabouts) that fits the bill?

HyPer50
08-08-2005, 09:50 AM
only dead empty parking lot i know of is the old circuit city parking lot on cobb pkwy near windy hill rd... but it's not big.. Is that shit really neccesary though? Your not a stunt driver and it's not like your driving a beast... just get used to driving it on the street without acting like a moron.

HiPSI
08-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Birthday:
June 23, 1989

That explains it.

w3rd... he wants his spilner practice spot like in the movies!

seriously, these "evasive maneuvers" you speak of sounds like a BS excuse to go wail on your car and try to do AWD drifts, instead why not go do an autocross or trackday where you can see how the car handles at the limits and not have to explain to the nice officer what the hell you were doing?

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 09:57 AM
My birthday's 1980, douchebags. *edits profile*

With that said, now maybe you folks can give me useful information without being pompous assholes.

I already said I'm not looking to toss the car around like an idiot. I just need to see what happens to the car at the limit of it's handling. This strikes me as only sensible, and a pretty intelligent thing to do, especially with cars that have a lot of power on tap (even moreso when it's in surges, like a turbo).

You don't think it's smart to find out how your car breaks loose differently when you swap out suspension components in a fairly controlled, safe situation? Should I find out instead when some idiot pulls out in front of me or slams on the brakes on 75 south going 80mph?

Ruiner
08-08-2005, 09:59 AM
My birthday's 1980, douchebags. *edits*

A. You put 1989, not me. I find that calling "us" douchebags is rather ironic.

B. That makes it even worse that you are a 1/4 of a century old, yet still want a parking lot to run around in.

A.P. Photography
08-08-2005, 09:59 AM
My birthday's 1980, douchebags. *edits*

^ That was a real intelligent remark. If you really want to learn about the car check with AMS and find out when they have their next driving shcool. They use your car and teach you how to handle it.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 10:07 AM
I have no desire or need to illustrate my intelligence or lack thereof with idiots that assume too much.

Look, I don't blame half of you for being skeptical or jumping to conclusions, there's more than a few irresponsible boy-racer fast-and-furious wannabes that could ask this same question.

The difference is I don't want to do this for any other reason than to know how the car will react in stressful situations to harsh steering, throttle input, brake application... especially in inclement weather.

Auto-Xing and/or driving schools aren't a bad idea, but I'm not terribly competitive and I'd rather get this very basic and useful information without spending a few hundred $$$, at least for now.

B16a2 Civic
08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
....why not go to a school parking lot before school starts again?

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 10:11 AM
....why not go to a school parking lot before school starts again?

Probably not the best place.. school lots tend to have their fair share of people tearing through them at any given time, for far less noble reasons than my intent.

Also, I'd prefer not to have to explain my actions on government property. :P

Though you're on the right track, I think... I'd need a place that's surreptitous and is essentially deserted at certain times.

B16a2 Civic
08-08-2005, 10:12 AM
mmm k, just tryna help, i dont live in that area so im not to sure of many helps, hopes everything works

A.P. Photography
08-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Auto-Xing and/or driving schools aren't a bad idea, but I'm not terribly competitive and I'd rather get this very basic and useful information without spending a few hundred $$$, at least for now.
That is what a driving school is for. They teach you this and the one at AMS is not that expensive. So don't expect people on this site to take you serious when you talk about racing through a parking lot trying to learn how to control your car.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 10:19 AM
A. You put 1989, not me. I find that calling "us" douchebags is rather ironic.

B. That makes it even worse that you are a 1/4 of a century old, yet still want a parking lot to run around in.

Look, I've got no specific beef with you, I'm sorry that my lack of vigilance in regards to my own profile sort of stalled out your witty and imperious initial response, but it really wasn't that funny anyways.

I'll tell you right now that your insights into my 'true motivations' are flat out incorrect. They're just wrong.

So you can take me at my word and we can kiss and make up, or you can continue trying to paint me as someone I'm not, and we can add to the multitude of useless exchanges of insults that pervades most of these boards.

Maybe we can 'call each other out' and we can go fight each other RL! I'll show you! *fisticuffs*

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 10:22 AM
That is what a driving school is for. They teach you this and the one at AMS is not that expensive. So don't expect people on this site to take you serious when you talk about racing through a parking lot trying to learn how to control your car.

I don't have to race anywhere to get the information I want.

I've got plenty of low-end torque in first and second gear, I can get all the information I need to know at speeds of less than 20mph, if that.

That being said, AMS doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.. I think some professional instruction could definitely help. Is there a link for them? I don't feel like digging through Google and the various 'American Mathematical Society' links.

Nismo
08-08-2005, 10:31 AM
^ he uses alot of big words, and is well spoken. But the parking lot thing is a really bad idea, because cobb county police are not the most receptive to sliding in a parking lot, period.

CodyW
08-08-2005, 10:38 AM
a few years ago the SCCA autocross novice schools were only $50 for an entire day of driving and you definately learn a ton at those. i'd definately check into an option like that instead taking chances by playing around in a parking lot.

HiPSI
08-08-2005, 10:40 AM
an autocross is not expensive, and you will learn everything about your car in one lap there.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 10:47 AM
:jerkit:

Tracy
08-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Go to www.xtrememeasures.org

Its a teen driving school that we teach at. We show u how to do all of those things on a closed course with instructors :) get your parents to foot the bill.

Ruiner
08-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Look, I've got no specific beef with you, I'm sorry that my lack of vigilance in regards to my own profile sort of stalled out your witty and imperious initial response, but it really wasn't that funny anyways.

I'll tell you right now that your insights into my 'true motivations' are flat out incorrect. They're just wrong.

So you can take me at my word and we can kiss and make up, or you can continue trying to paint me as someone I'm not, and we can add to the multitude of useless exchanges of insults that pervades most of these boards.

Maybe we can 'call each other out' and we can go fight each other RL! I'll show you! *fisticuffs*

Fair enough. Being that you know the inherent dangers and irresponsibility brought forth by trying these actions in a parking lot, a driver’s education course is your only reasonable (responsible) solution.

bijan gxe
08-08-2005, 10:56 AM
I know of a couple...

One is the old wal mart in kennesaw
another one is an OLD winn dixie off dallas and 92.....although it MIGHT be gated off - not sure

Ruiner
08-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Go to www.xtrememeasures.com

Its a teen driving school that we teach at. We show u how to do all of those things on a closed course with instructors :) get your parents to foot the bill.

He is 25 yrs old.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 10:59 AM
he acts 15, trying to sound smart throwing big words into his crap. next thing we know here on IA is that he will become a person using that e-thug slang crap like the other thread ;)

Tracy
08-08-2005, 11:01 AM
He is 25 yrs old.
oh. Loll! I thought his birthday was in '89...didn't someone say that??? :D

Ruiner
08-08-2005, 11:02 AM
oh. Loll! I thought his birthday was in '89...didn't someone say that??? :D

I did, but he said that it was an error and went back and changed it in his profile to '80.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 11:02 AM
she reads the WHOLE thread i promise ;)

The Ren
08-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Lol.. sok Tracy.. we will just blame it on the blondeness everyone knows you have somewhere..

chnco
08-08-2005, 11:06 AM
The Cobb County police station has a pretty big lot.

Try that one.

Tracy
08-08-2005, 11:08 AM
she reads the WHOLE thread i promise ;)

Lol! It's hard to type on this sidekick..sheesh! By the time this thing loads a post, 5 pages have gone by.

Well at least I got to give a shout out to my homies at www.xtrememeasures.org
:D

Tracy
08-08-2005, 11:10 AM
And I thought I got rid of the blonde...hahahahhaha

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 11:26 AM
he acts 15, trying to sound smart throwing big words into his crap. next thing we know here on IA is that he will become a person using that e-thug slang crap like the other thread ;)

Please, continue to illuminate the hidden impetus behind my request for simple information.

Most obviously I am intellectually and emotionally immature, only able to string together smart-sounding words by looking them up in a thesaurus. I'm no doubt just marginally holding my head above the proverbial water, when faced with the maelstroms of boundless enlightenment that you haughtily fling in my direction.

Or, alternatively, I could be well-spoken, well educated, and orders of magnitude more intelligent than you give me credit for, and you've just made a fool of yourself.

It really was just an innocent, simple request for a few dozen square yards of pavement that are out of the way, where I can safely try a few things.

You assumed that I was just one of the legion of newly licensed boy-racer simians that frequent the board, looking for a place that I can spin the car around in pointless, tire-shredding donuts in the overpowered car my parents bought for me.

Granted, this was partially my error (though I think 1989 might be the default date the forum sets for birthyear when you set it up.. otherwise, could have been a finger slip, 0's pretty close to 9 on the old keyboard, so cut a guy a break), but that you continue to work under some permutation of that assumption after having been corrected is questionable at best.

Why don't you reconsider your tone, find some manners, and discuss things as civilly as I'm trying to be?

jt money
08-08-2005, 11:26 AM
malfeas99 what kinda car did you get? i live in kennesaw and have some places by my house. pm me for some locations.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 11:29 AM
because i dont like to be civil with you, its humorous and my entertainment :D sorry though... others might love you... lol btw WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY DUDE?!

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 11:30 AM
btw, im just having fun, dont mind me, you will learn that later on i assume... but keep up the good work, when you find a parking lot, let me know so i can go drift the civic :D YAY

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Fair enough. Being that you know the inherent dangers and irresponsibility brought forth by trying these actions in a parking lot, a driver’s education course is your only reasonable (responsible) solution.

I was up to this point under the impression that most driving schools were prohibitively expensive.. 300-600 bucks for a day of instruction and a few laps around the track. If there are alternatives, as appears to be the case, that's probably my best bet.

But seriously, what's the big deal here, beyond the stereotype of the hollywood-blinded ricer tossing his mom's civic around in a parking lot?

My father taught me how to drive in a parking lot.

My driving instructor, way back in the day, taught me to do maneuvers in a parking lot.

It seems only natural that if one can find an out-of-the-way and safe place to do it, one should be able to just nudge the car's handling a bit, at low speeds, and find out what does what.

My plan was just to take the car out, start a curve in the rain, and nudge the throttle till the tires broke loose and then correct for it. I doubt my speed would be more than a blazing 20mph the whole time. I just want to see where and when the car doesn't want to do what you tell it anymore.

This becomes doubly important when I drastically change the handling characteristics of the car via springs and swaybars.. it only sounds smart that one would want a safe place to see the difference and adjust their driving accordingly, right? I mean, I've seen more than one vendor or manufacturer stating specifically that in their online stores under some of their suspension mods.

Don't you think that maneuvers like the one I just offered in example would make one a safer driver on the street, especially in less-than-ideal driving conditions?

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 11:37 AM
malfeas99 what kinda car did you get? i live in kennesaw and have some places by my house. pm me for some locations.

I have an '05 Legacy GT that I've taken to about Stage II, powerwise (though I haven't replaced the downpipe yet).

My last car was a '00 Civic Si, bone stock.

The one before that was a '93 Nissan Altima GLE.

Maybe now people will understand what I'm trying to do here.

The Ren
08-08-2005, 11:45 AM
And I thought I got rid of the blonde...hahahahhaha
Oh no hunny.. you just covered it.. its ok my natural blonde shows through from time to time too

HyPer50
08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Just drive it around... you'll get used to it.. I went from a Geo Tracker and a 4cyl mustang to my 5.0l coupe with 300rwhp (alot easier to fuck up with RWD than with AWD lol)... you'll get the hang of it as long as you dont try and show off. Showing off almost always = horrible results heh.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 11:57 AM
waiting for the HUGE explanation on why he doesnt want to just drive it like a normal person...

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 12:04 PM
waiting for the HUGE explanation on why he doesnt want to just drive it like a normal person...

I do drive like a normal person. I have no tickets. I've never caused an accident. I am a very considerate driver.

However, shit happens, be it drivers who are not quite as nice, or the huge thunderstorms that roll through occasionally. Or, god forbid, snow.

Seriously, it's very simple. It's all about knowledge and application. You can read about vehicle control all day, but until you get a feel for it with your own car, it's just not the same. Nor is it useful if you don't practice it occasionally, because in cases like these, reactions are essentially instinctive and will rely most often on muscle memory and ingrained emergency response... I mean, this is the -entire- reason that most cars are FWD today, because most people's instinctive reaction in an emergency situation is to slam on the brakes in a straight line. That type of reaction works best in a FWD car. In can work in every car... but does NOT go well for certain cars with certain amounts of power in certain situations in certain types of weather.

This isnt' rocket science, lady, it's just me wanting some analytical and applied information. That's all.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 12:06 PM
gawd! STOP IT! thanks i know ;) i know what cars can and cannot do... thanks for the paragraph of jiberish though... appreciate your time and worries of me being safe on the road :D very nice! lol just drive around, find a empty parking lot ANYWHERE and drift away :D dont call me for bail or to pay any fines you are given...

HyPer50
08-08-2005, 12:07 PM
You could always wait til about 3am and go out on 575 and turn the highway into your own test track in between the occasional car.... lol

D16Civic
08-08-2005, 12:11 PM
You could always wait til about 3am and go out on 575 and turn the highway into your own test track in between the occasional car.... lol
lol, now thats what im talking about

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 12:12 PM
gawd! STOP IT! thanks i know ;) i know what cars can and cannot do... thanks for the paragraph of jiberish though... appreciate your time and worries of me being safe on the road :D very nice! lol just drive around, find a empty parking lot ANYWHERE and drift away :D dont call me for bail or to pay any fines you are given...

Jibberish?? Seriously, I have to ask at this point, do you take pride in acting ignorant and having a limited vocabulary?

I'm not even trying to pick a fight, it's an honest question. What makes you want to ridicule me for being verbose or well-spoken or whatever seems to 'annoy' you?

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 12:20 PM
i do not have a limited vocabulary, nor ignorant... its a damn forum, remind me next time to edit my posts to be up to your expectations... OH NO i spelled a word wrong... excuse me.

D16Civic
08-08-2005, 12:24 PM
What makes you want to ridicule me for being verbose or well-spoken or whatever seems to 'annoy' you?
see, what i think shes trying to say is that usually, when u talk on the internet on forums and stuff, u tend to keep it simple and to the point.
If i want to see a bunch a vocab words, ill go read a book
Not saying anythign bad against u, cuz a good vocabulary is important (something i dont have) but just try to keep it simple on here

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
see! hang on let me go bust out webster while i read this ;) since i am so ignorant right?

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 12:40 PM
i do not have a limited vocabulary, nor ignorant... its a damn forum, remind me next time to edit my posts to be up to your expectations... OH NO i spelled a word wrong... excuse me.

I don't ridicule anyone for their own posting style. I never even said that I thought you were stupid or ignorant, but that you seemed to feel like you had to act like it.

You started this particular segue when you decided to give me shit for, wait for it... sounding too smart?

What the hell? Jesus couchfucking christ, what is wrong with you?

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 12:43 PM
keep coming :D or is that too ignorant sounding? whats wrong with me? i already explained you are my entertainment...

HalfBaked
I call BS on your amount of HP.

malfeas99
see, what i think shes trying to say is that usually, when u talk on the internet on forums and stuff, u tend to keep it simple and to the point.
If i want to see a bunch a vocab words, ill go read a book
Not saying anythign bad against u, cuz a good vocabulary is important (something i dont have) but just try to keep it simple on here

No, that's just what you see nowadays. It didn't used to be that one would be made fun of for using a three syllable word.

I've been part of the online community before forums were called forums, and they were BBS's and newsgroups.

I don't care about other people's posting styles, I understand that the internet is not a lot of people's fortes, but for god's sake, don't make fun of someone for sounding intelligent on a message board.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I call BS on your amount of HP.

Why's that? My last dyno run was 255/285.. correcting for drivetrain loss (about 19% in this case) you get about 315/350.

That was on a dyno with some heat soak and 93 degree air temp.. so why would you be inclined to call BS?

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 12:46 PM
im not making fun of you, just poking... whos upset now!? sorry :( atleast it was me the idiot instead of others who can come back with big words... ill behave now

HalfBaked
08-08-2005, 12:47 PM
To the crank? Who states what they estimate their crank whp to be...

HyPer50
08-08-2005, 12:47 PM
go by wheel hp... crank hp is for dealership marketing.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 12:49 PM
keep coming :D or is that too ignorant sounding? whats wrong with me? i already explained you are my entertainment...

Please. This forum tactic has been used, and overused, since the days of 2400 baud modems. It does something like this.

Person A: Says something.
Person B: Assumes a bunch of erroneous tripe and says something retarded.
Person A: Corrects them publically, Person B now officialy pwn3d.
Person B: Continues on the track of a losing and one-sided exchange, wallowing miserably whilst insisting that it's for their 'entertainment' and they're merely 'using' Person A like a pet monkey.

Give me a break.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 12:51 PM
you are my pet monkey... whats your point... :D hes getting mad now, im starting to like him finally

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 12:51 PM
To the crank? Who states what they estimate their crank whp to be...

Uh, I usually do, in general conversation that's not centered around dyno runs, mods, or tuning.

As you can see, I have no issues saying what my WHP was, I put down 255/285 last time, since the last mod and tune.

Still calling BS, or did you just think I was talking about whp?

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 12:53 PM
you are my pet monkey... whats your point... :D hes getting mad now, im starting to like him finally

Sweetheart, I regularly engage in unthinkably volatile political flamewars on fark.com as a hobby.

This is like 'Playskool's My First FlameWar(tm)' for me, seriously.

Can't we all just be nice?

HalfBaked
Well you said you drive a 315 hp beast. If you want to get technical only 255 of that HP makes it to the ground, therefore you'd drive a 255 hp beast. Since you lose like you said 19% of your power.

Scrappy
uhh i have been nice... and dont call me sweetheart... :blah: dont fall for that crap...

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Well you said you drive a 315 hp beast. If you want to get technical only 255 of that HP makes it to the ground, therefore you'd drive a 255 hp beast. Since you lose like you said 19% of your power.

Ok, so it's a 315hp beast, or a 255whp beast. The torque # in my opinion is more impressive regardless, but honestly, why are you bothering with discussing semantics? Just to make me use smaller numbers? Fine by me, I have no need to impress anyone. Tell you what, I'll even go ahead and edit my first post, so that everyone's on the same page, k?

Can we be friends now?

Pher
08-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Most people in here are just fucking with you man. Don't take it so "perilously".

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:00 PM
uhh i have been nice... and dont call me sweetheart... :blah: dont fall for that crap...

No, you weren't nice.

If you had been nice, I would have been nice.

It is not my general practise to be anything less than genteel to nice women.

And since I have yet to be genteel to you, you were not being a nice woman.

Now can we make up like mature, friendly people, or continue to take potshots?

HyPer50
08-08-2005, 01:00 PM
No, you weren't nice.

If you had been nice, I would have been nice.

It is not my general practise to be anything less than genteel to nice women.

And since I have yet to be genteel to you, you were not being a nice woman.

Now can we make up like mature, friendly people, or continue to take potshots?

omg omg omg the book worm messed up on practice = P

trythefly
08-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Sux0rz > this post

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 01:02 PM
umm i believe i would know if i was being nice or not... you only read text... and do not previously know of my "attitude" in other conversating threads ;) so dont tell me i am being nice or mean, i will inform you on that. thanks though

btw you pretty much said yourself i am not mature... so you figure out your own answer potshot

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Most people in here are just fucking with you man. Don't take it so "perilously".

I can recognize that, but I also have a fairly low tolerance for unwarranted BS and useless shennanigans.

Like I already said, this isn't strenuous for me, and I'm honestly not taking it terribly seriously, a large part of my vigilance regarding the thread is because a) I started it, and b) I want to correct any errant first impressions people may have recieved due to miscommunication or getting off on the wrong foot.

That's all, really.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
omg omg omg the book worm messed up on practice = P

Main Entry: 1pracˇtice
Variant(s): or pracˇtise /'prak-t&s/
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): pracˇticed or pracˇtised; pracˇticˇing or pracˇtisˇing
Etymology: Middle English practisen, from Middle French practiser, from practique, pratique practice, noun, from Late Latin practice, from Greek praktikE, from feminine of praktikos
transitive senses

Or maybe I didn't.

Pwn3d. :tongue:

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 01:06 PM
uh oh hes getting tough now :D right when i have to go pay bills :( hold it down boys ;)

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:06 PM
umm i believe i would know if i was being nice or not... you only read text... and do not previously know of my "attitude" in other conversating threads ;) so dont tell me i am being nice or mean, i will inform you on that. thanks though

btw you pretty much said yourself i am not mature... so you figure out your own answer potshot

It's entirely possible that you and I share the same propensity for abrasive humor, without taking the time to consider whether the people against which we are excercising said humor are familiar with it's caustic tendencies.

So, if that's the case, then we can say that both of us have been the pinnacle of civility up to this point, even if it means we keep treating each other like crap.

DJ XtRaKŠ
08-08-2005, 01:07 PM
:yourock: nuff said

HyPer50
08-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Main Entry: 1pracˇtice
Variant(s): or pracˇtise /'prak-t&s/
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): pracˇticed or pracˇtised; pracˇticˇing or pracˇtisˇing
Etymology: Middle English practisen, from Middle French practiser, from practique, pratique practice, noun, from Late Latin practice, from Greek praktikE, from feminine of praktikos
transitive senses

Or maybe I didn't.

Pwn3d. :tongue:

according to dictionary.com... practise is a gay british way of saying practice... speak american english ya wanker... lol.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 01:08 PM
i treat all men like crap... its human nature... :D but sure... whatever your post means... I AM BEING NICE! trust me, you have yet to see me mad... ;)

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 01:08 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA OMGAWD you just said wanker... you hang out iwth jason or something? cause he says that and i die laughing... WANKER!

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:09 PM
according to dictionary.com... practise is a gay british way of saying practice... speak american english ya wanker... lol.

My folks are Canadian by way of Europe, so sometimes those spelling variants creep into my diction. I write my 7's all weird too.

I publically flog myself every time I find myself putting a 'u' in a word that shouldn't have one.

HyPer50
08-08-2005, 01:10 PM
My folks are Canadian by way of Europe, so sometimes those spelling variants creep into my diction. I write my 7's all weird too.

I publically flog myself every time I find myself putting a 'u' in a word that shouldn't have one.

ewww like colour and armour? god thats annoying...

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
:yourock: nuff said

Omg @ at your avatar, I had like 3 glasses of absinthe on saturday, a friend's parents brought him back a couple bottles from their vacation in Europe.

That's a very interesting kind of drunk, I must say.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:12 PM
ewww like colour and armour? god thats annoying...

And behaviour and harbour.

I know, it makes me twitch when I read the words like that, which is why I punish myself when I do it.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 01:13 PM
i treat all men like crap... its human nature... :D but sure... whatever your post means... I AM BEING NICE! trust me, you have yet to see me mad... ;)

Oh. Well okay, since we're being nice and all:

You are a poo-poo face.

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 01:44 PM
GO HERE!!!

150 Haynes St NE, Marietta, 30060

No one is there. I don't think it is even patroled so don't worry about that. Later, QD.

HyPer50
08-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Hmmm that address looks familiar.. *looks at old ticket* Ahhh thats why...

trythefly
08-08-2005, 01:47 PM
lol @ QD

Tracy
08-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Good luck with your car. I'm sorry everyone has jumped on you. A lot of people are against street racing and things of that nature on this site. Not to mention that we have a lot of young kids that come on here asking stupid street racing questions all of the time. I think everyone just thought that you were one of those kids. I was actually serious about the teen drivng school until I found out that you were 25 and not 15. Either way it is usually expensive to rent a parking lot yourself, but you can always attend an SCCA event. Those arent all that expensive. I wish you lots of luck with your beast. It sounds nice. Maybe you should start another thread with some pics. Did you go to the clock in forum, yet? Just hang in there on this site. The people aren't really that bad once you get a feel for them. You just have to do what you have been doing and that's stand your ground.

See guys...I can be nice :)

B16a2 Civic
08-08-2005, 01:57 PM
let me guess....Five O station?

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm sorry everyone has jumped on you. A lot of people are against street racing and things of that nature on this site. Not to mention that we have a lot of young kids that come on here asking stupid street racing questions all of the time. I think everyone just thought that you were one of those kids.

Dudes older and young, it doesn't matter to me if I let them know how I feel about their stupidity.

The people aren't really that bad once you get a feel for them. You just have to do what you have been doing and that's stand your ground.

No we aren't. As long as stupidity doesn't prevail.
Oh. And I'll stand my ground on the dumbass "Where's a parking lot to be an idiot" threads. Lolol. If you want to do stupid shit, keep it in PM or E-mail and not posted out in the public. Later, QD.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Good luck with your car. I'm sorry everyone has jumped on you. A lot of people are against street racing and things of that nature on this site. Not to mention that we have a lot of young kids that come on here asking stupid street racing questions all of the time. I think everyone just thought that you were one of those kids. I was actually serious about the teen drivng school until I found out that you were 25 and not 15. Either way it is usually expensive to rent a parking lot yourself, but you can always attend an SCCA event. Those arent all that expensive. I wish you lots of luck with your beast. It sounds nice. Maybe you should start another thread with some pics. Did you go to the clock in forum, yet? Just hang in there on this site. The people aren't really that bad once you get a feel for them. You just have to do what you have been doing and that's stand your ground.

Thanks for the kind words. I did clock in a while ago: http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=12192

The car's certainly no 500+ awhp monster, but I defy anyone to call it slow. ;)

I understand the reasons for some of the initial misunderstandings, but a lot of the responses were a little harsh and uncalled for, imo. It's ok, though, I only cried a little bit.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Dudes older and young, it doesn't matter to me if I let them know how I feel about their stupidity.

No we aren't. As long as stupidity doesn't prevail.
Oh. And I'll stand my ground on the dumbass "Where's a parking lot to be an idiot" threads. Lolol. If you want to do stupid shit, keep it in PM or E-mail and not posted out in the public. Later, QD.

Did you even bother reading through the thread where I explained specifically what I was trying to accomplish and how I planned to go about doing it?

Do you honestly think that's 'stupid', or are you just trying to be a tool?

What really amuses me about all this holier-than-thou bullshit is that I can garaun-damn-tee you that there isn't a single person here who hasn't engaged in a little bit of spirited driving in a deserted parking lot at some point, whether it be for fun or idiocy or educational reasons (in my case it's the latter).

Get over yourself, don't try to act superior, because I can assure you that you are not.

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 02:14 PM
I understand the reasons for some of the initial misunderstandings, but a lot of the responses were a little harsh and uncalled for, imo.

I'm gonna try not to bash on you and just ask a couple of questions. I always like hearing how people justify their actions.

What was the misunderstand about you posting, in public, about where to drive like an idiot?

You say the responses were "harsh and uncalled for." The initial post wasn't? What is wrong with taking it to the track? You asked, again I say, in public, where to do an illegal activity. Just curious. Later, QD.

chnco
08-08-2005, 02:17 PM

The rabbit once said to the turtle, "you know, some people are just slower than others"

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Did you even bother reading through the thread where I explained specifically what I was trying to accomplish and how I planned to go about doing it?

No matter what your reasons, it is still illegal.

Do you honestly think that's 'stupid', or are you just trying to be a tool?

I'm a tool? You've been here maybe a week? I've been here since the onset of this site. I'm hardly the tool here. I honestly think it is stupid.

What really amuses me about all this holier-than-thou bullshit is that I can garaun-damn-tee you that there isn't a single person here who hasn't engaged in a little bit of spirited driving in a deserted parking lot at some point, whether it be for fun or idiocy or educational reasons (in my case it's the latter).

How much you want to put on that? I have 2 SCCA championships in my ride. I didn't go to a parking lot to learn how to drive. I did it the right way.

Get over yourself, don't try to act superior, because I can assure you that you are not.

I can assure you...I am. Later, QD.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm gonna try not to bash on you and just ask a couple of questions. I always like hearing how people justify their actions.

What was the misunderstand about you posting, in public, about where to drive like an idiot?

You say the responses were "harsh and uncalled for." The initial post wasn't? What is wrong with taking it to the track? You asked, again I say, in public, where to do an illegal activity. Just curious. Later, QD.

To answer your questions:

1) I specifically stated that I wasn't looking for somewhere to drive like an idiot. I was looking for somewhere to safely test the limits of the car's handling at relatively low speeds. I don't want to do 50 mph drifts around light poles, I want to break the tires loose at 15-20 mph in a tight turn and watch how the car behaves when I correct for it without slamming the side of my car into something or damaging someone's property. I plan on replacing springs and swaybars in the next few weeks. It'll be like driving a different car in some ways. I'd like to feel those differences for myself, instead of just driving around knowing that I'm going to oversteer more.

2) There's nothing wrong with taking it to the track, but an autocross event, if I'm not mistaken, is to get around the track quickly, not lose control of the car and go careening through cones because someone didn't really know when the car was going to stop doing what you wanted it to do.

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 02:23 PM
To answer your questions:

1) I specifically stated that I wasn't looking for somewhere to drive like an idiot. I was looking for somewhere to safely test the limits of the car's handling at relatively low speeds. I don't want to do 50 mph drifts around light poles, I want to break the tires loose at 15-20 mph in a tight turn and watch how the car behaves when I correct for it without slamming the side of my car into something or damaging someone's property. I plan on replacing springs and swaybars in the next few weeks. It'll be like driving a different car in some ways. I'd like to feel those differences for myself, instead of just driving around knowing that I'm going to oversteer more.

I see where you going. I don't agree with it, but I see you're not trying to drift the lot and shit. So, I'll back down a bit. But, still, please keep it in PMs or E-mails. Don't need places posted up on here. These boards are patrolled. Later, QD.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Nevermind, said some very mean things at QD, but he has since seen the light, so I will spare him my wrath.

I appreciate the concern, and I'll keep future inquiries of this nature more private.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 02:33 PM
do not ever talk back to QD, that right there will piss me off more than you using big words and acting all high and mighty :)

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 02:35 PM
do not ever talk back to QD, that right there will piss me off more than you using big words and acting all high and mighty :)

Uh, with all due respect, madam, if QD gives me a bunch of unwarranted crap because he misunderstood the reason for my post, then I by all means will rebut his comment, in the tone in which he delivered it.

As you can see, we reached an understanding by doing exactly that. Now we are friends. I love him like a brother, and will probably ask him to be godfather to my firstborn son.

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
but he has since seen the light, so I will spare him my wrath.

I sort of have seen the light. I still said I disagree with what you are doing. ANd I'm not too worried about anyone's wrath. As everyone on here will tell you, I can hold ground quite well. Lolol. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks, again, Scrappy, for havin my back.

Uh, with all due respect, madam, if QD gives me a bunch of unwarranted crap because he misunderstood the reason for my post, then I by all means will rebut his comment, in the tone in which he delivered it.

It really wasn't unwarranted crap. I also didn't misunderstand your post to the extent of how you are going about doing things.

As you can see, we reached an understanding by doing exactly that. Now we are friends. I love him like a brother, and will probably ask him to be godfather to my firstborn son.

Friends part I could possibly see, but the rest is crap. Later, QD.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 02:46 PM
I sort of have seen the light. I still said I disagree with what you are doing. ANd I'm not too worried about anyone's wrath. As everyone on here will tell you, I can hold ground quite well. Lolol. Later, QD.

Well, you're welcome to disagree, and I'd welcome any suggestions as to how I might accomplish what I'm trying to do, now that you understand what my intentions are.

An autocross event wouldn't do it, because I'd need to be familiar enough with the car and comfortable with it's handling characteristics, which would require doing what I'm trying to do initially... so it's a catch 22.

I mean, honestly... you didn't just take your car back to the Auto-X event after making pretty drastic suspension changes, and learned that way, did you? It seems only prudent to know how your car's going to behave in potentially real-world situations, especially in wet weather, less-than-perfect circumstances, etc., especially with an AWD car when the only cars I've driven up till now have been FWD with less than half the power and even less torque.

I know the differences in handling and how to manage them in my head, but not really in application, or with my car specifically.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 02:49 PM
It really wasn't unwarranted crap. I also didn't misunderstand your post to the extent of how you are going about doing things.

I think it was unwarranted, because you assumed that my intent was to go careening around like a retard. Obviously that's not the case. My intent is to improve my ability to drive a new car, and new modifications to how the car handles. Unfortunately, the misunderstanding comes about because the method for doing that, and the method for being a moron, appear initially to be the same (find an empty parking lot). At that point, though, things diverge, and nobody seemed to get to that point without me having to explain it eleventy billion times.

Friends part I could possibly see, but the rest is crap. Later, QD.
Well, color me offended. Now I can't have a kid. Crap.

Nismo
08-08-2005, 03:01 PM
malfeas99 you are my hero!

Nismo
08-08-2005, 03:02 PM
There is finally someone well spoken and polite on this site.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 03:03 PM
uh oh, watch it there myfleas dude! everything QD says on Importatlanta.com is warranted ;) just remember that... he is my daddy :D

HiPSI
08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
An autocross event wouldn't do it, because I'd need to be familiar enough with the car and comfortable with it's handling characteristics, which would require doing what I'm trying to do initially... so it's a catch 22.

honestly, if you think suspension changes are going to throw you off that bad then leave the thing alone. it's not going to be an amazingly new car to drive as you keep saying, at least you're not going to see anything at 20mph that will open your eyes. the speeds you will need to reach will be much more at home on an auto-x course where you are tossing the car through all different types of turns as well as braking and accelerating hard. unless you're going to spend an entire day in the parking lot making measurements and comparing performance between stock and aftermarket suspensions, there really is no point to that. and auto-x costs generally $35-$40 to enter and you'll get plenty of runs to get the feel of the car at the limit.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 03:12 PM
honestly, if you think suspension changes are going to throw you off that bad then leave the thing alone. it's not going to be an amazingly new car to drive as you keep saying, at least you're not going to see anything at 20mph that will open your eyes. the speeds you will need to reach will be much more at home on an auto-x course where you are tossing the car through all different types of turns as well as braking and accelerating hard. unless you're going to spend an entire day in the parking lot making measurements and comparing performance between stock and aftermarket suspensions, there really is no point to that. and auto-x costs generally $35-$40 to enter and you'll get plenty of runs to get the feel of the car at the limit.

It's not an issue of it throwing me off, it's just that with stiffer springs and swaybars, the car will go from mild-to-moderate understeer to mild-to-moderate oversteer. The techniques for recovering one's car are, as I understand, quite different in some ways, even to the point that in certain situations, doing what's required to recover an understeering car might actually make things worse with an oversteering car, or vice-versa.

Also keep in mind that I haven't owned the car long, and I don't even know what the car can take in stock suspension form. At least fairly low-speed maneuvers would help me with day-to-day driving conditions, though I agree with you that for the whole picture, an autocross event or something like it would be a good compliment to the fairly rudimentary stuff I'm looking for.

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
oh no that was a weak response homie... where the big words go? :(

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 03:21 PM
oh no that was a weak response homie... where the big words go? :(

I just ate lunch, most of my energy is going to digestion at the moment. Cut me some slack.

Also, I noticed you were back, so I thought I should dumb down the posts for you. :tongue:

Since we're being nice to each other, and all. :D

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 03:24 PM
being nice? you are a f-in tool! shut up and suck it... didnt have to "dumb down" anything for me, i knew what you were saying, just thought it was funny and with the most off the wall comments and all the explaining for nothing... you sir, are the dumbass not me.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 03:27 PM
being nice? you are a f-in tool! shut up and suck it... didnt have to "dumb down" anything for me, i knew what you were saying, just thought it was funny and with the most off the wall comments and all the explaining for nothing... you sir, are the dumbass not me.

See, now -you're- taking it too seriously.

You fire a few shots, but can't take the jabs when they come round to you?

You make the jokes about getting the dictionary, and then get all indignant when I take a jab along the same lines?

Guess you can't take what you dish out, eh? Too bad, I was starting to like you. :(

Scrappy
08-08-2005, 03:30 PM
lol it was all a joke but you still had the most off the wall commments and explainations :D

but potshot, I am allowed to make dumb remarks refering to myself, you cannot :tongue:

all we need is alittle :idb: up in here and we will be set... QD?!?!

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
lol it was all a joke but you still had the most off the wall commments and explainations :D

I think I did a fairly good job of explaining myself.

I came to an understanding with anyone here who attempted to pursue the matter, your daddy included, pretty much.

If anything I said didn't make any sense or what somehow factually fallacious, please tell me, and I'll try to explain. I like running my mouth, just give me an excuse. :)

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 03:38 PM
:idb:

You don't even have to ask. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I think it was unwarranted, because you assumed that my intent was to go careening around like a retard.

It was warranted because, yes, I thought you were talking about careening, but I was stating the fact of learning illegally.

Well, color me offended. Now I can't have a kid. Crap.

That might be for the best. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Like Erin(HiPsi) said, it costs only $35 to run your car 3 times on an autocross track. You don't have to go out there and win on your first try. That is a safe, controlled area to learn what your car can/can't do. And yes, I went right out on the track after my suspension changes. What better place to test it than on the track. Hmmm. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
There is finally someone well spoken and polite on this site.

That would be me. Later, QD.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
It was warranted because, yes, I thought you were talking about careening, but I was stating the fact of learning illegally.

Well, now you know what I'm actually trying to do, so.. I don't know why we're still talking about it.

That might be for the best.

BUUURRRRRNNN.

I'll come up with a good retort after sobbing in the corner for a while.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Like Erin(HiPsi) said, it costs only $35 to run your car 3 times on an autocross track. You don't have to go out there and win on your first try. That is a safe, controlled area to learn what your car can/can't do. And yes, I went right out on the track after my suspension changes. What better place to test it than on the track. Hmmm. Later, QD.

*shrug* Well, beyond the obvious lameness of a bunch of people able to watch you screw up, I guess I'm just the kind of person who'd like to do some trial and error by myself, you know? I guess I'm just overanalytical that way.

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Well, now you know what I'm actually trying to do, so.. I don't know why we're still talking about it.

Because I will respond as long as you do. Later, QD.

Tracy
08-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Because I will respond as long as you do. Later, QD.

Because your a gangster!!!!

quickdodgeŽ
08-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Fuccin right I am. Later, QD.

Tracy
08-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Fuccin right I am. Later, QD.

I know and that's why I love you the mostest!

Marta Mike
08-08-2005, 10:00 PM
personally im thinking like the others. This is just an opportunity to rag your car. You say you only wanna test the limits, etc etc, and you dont wanna flog your car. But thats the only way you gonna get it to its limits. You wanna test your limits, go to the track, driving school, SCCA solo. Dont be stupid bout it and risk your license. And i can guarantee you you would have more fun doing it legally.

malfeas99
08-08-2005, 11:00 PM
personally im thinking like the others. This is just an opportunity to rag your car. You say you only wanna test the limits, etc etc, and you dont wanna flog your car. But thats the only way you gonna get it to its limits. You wanna test your limits, go to the track, driving school, SCCA solo. Dont be stupid bout it and risk your license. And i can guarantee you you would have more fun doing it legally.

I don't have to make an excuse. If that's what I wanted to do, then I'd say as much.

I'm not going to bother explaining myself again, I've done that several times in this thread, you can read through the 9 pages, because I sure as shit am not going to waste any more time on it.

You can either take me at my word, or not. Continuing to traipse around the concepts of 'true intent' and 'legality' is utterly pointless.

QD was right insofar as suggesting I keep such inquiries more private, and that's what I'm going to do. Otherwise, this thread is done.

Marta Mike
08-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Good idea. Im sure you have good intentions but keep it legal, and i agree something i wouldnt post up-lol Good luck though!