PDA

View Full Version : Not sure about the ITB's

Riceboy891
02-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Well the cam/springs/gear are in, the widebands hooked up, ecu is chipped, and the ITB's just need the stack adaptors finished. So I am literaly hours away from having it it all done. But now Im not so sure. I have been thinking about ditchin them and beginning a carb build. A couple of sidedraught webers would look quite sexy hangin off my D. Anybody got any ideas for/against help me decide. Its been a long time comin, but I cant get the carb idea out of my head.:(

StraightSix
02-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Carbs aren't nearly as efficient as fuel injection, however sidedraft carbs can come very close when properly tuned. With carbs, you're going to lose precision in controlling the mixture.

Think about it like this, with a carb you have a "dumb" mechanical device with no feedback loop metering your air/fuel mixture. As a result, you will have to run slightly rich to make sure that you never encounter a lean condition.

Fuel injection on the other hand, will allow much more control over the engine's operating parameters. There are electronic sensors providing feedback to the ECU. The ECU is then able to optimize the amount of fuel being delivered for the desired power output. A by product of this is better fuel economy on a properly tuned vehicle.

Batlground
02-14-2008, 09:52 PM
keep it fuel injected

itsnotarex
02-14-2008, 10:51 PM
While carbs have a certain appeal, I'll admit, you'd probably regret it down the line. Ever hear a high horsepower engine with carbs? It sounds like ****. Because it's running rich.

StraightSix
02-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Um, I disagree with the above statement. Ever hear a NASCAR Grand National engine at full chat? Those are being fed by Holley carbs, iirc, and sound glorious.

How about an old L-series Z-car engine with a triple Mikuni setup?

I could go on, but I'll stop there.

With ITBs, the OP should be able to get carb-like intake noise with the efficiency of fuel injection.

Papa_Smurf
02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
okay, with the set-up you had before, your sohc zc made every bit as much horsepower as my dohc....

keep the ITB's!

Riceboy891
02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah until you cheated and got the extra run to up the tire pressure and peg the timing. Just kidding. Yeah today i gotta install rear camber arms, new pedal assembly, clutch cable, and start some tuning. AutoX is on sunday, so its gotta be running good. After the autoX its all about the ITB's as long as I dont change my mind.

Papa_Smurf
02-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah until you cheated and got the extra run to up the tire pressure and peg the timing. Just kidding. Yeah today i gotta install rear camber arms, new pedal assembly, clutch cable, and start some tuning. AutoX is on sunday, so its gotta be running good. After the autoX its all about the ITB's as long as I dont change my mind.

haha cheated? i think we bumped the timing up, dnt think we did anything about the tires...

anyway, i bet you could get higher than me if you played with it a little more... i think i got like, 116, 118? either way, it's nothing to brag about, haha

bigdare23
02-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Bryan (Brian), you been working on those itbs too long not to rock them for atleast a few months. I say rocked them, and build a carb setup on another block.

Whiteboy™
02-15-2008, 07:10 PM
i wanna see some pictures, ITB's get me off

Riceboy891
02-15-2008, 07:13 PM
alright alright they will go on soon then. Ill get pix soon.